• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2013 (Mar 18 - Mar 24)

Scum

since when do we expect Nintendo to make the obvious, smart choice? Unless they are saving B1 it as some type of bonus for Bayonetta 2, it should already be out.

Shame, really. I bloody well hope it does happen though. I'll double dip.

Any updates on G&W?

Yes. It released today and has been on sale in stores for one hour and fifty minutes, costing 4,975 yen, about the price of Nintendo Land.

It released on the Nintendo eshop approximately 2 hours early, at 10PM last night. Some people bought it then.

It has billboard ads and TV commercials.

BlackJace

Yes. It released today and has been on sale in stores for one hour and forty eight minutes, costing 4,975 yen, about the price of Nintendo Land.

It released on the Nintendo eshop approximately 2 hours early, at 10PM last night. Some people bought it then.

WiiU ads??

mindblown.jpg

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Of course I´m serious. My first post in this thread was about how I was surprised that some expected a significant drop in PSV sales this week knowing that this weeks releases have been a lot stronger than last ones, especially One Piece was considered to be one of the "bigger" PSV games. And the reactions to it have been embarassingly hostile and void of any argument, instead sad attempts of ridiculing my point of view.

Oh so you are truly clueless on why some people here might get irritated to the things you post. You have been going at it for weeks now. It's quite obvious you are selective when it comes to acces certain situations. Which is fine, alot of people here have a bias (huge or small) to certain company's. Heck even I have one, but when you use that bias to push thru an opinion then you will get called out or even mocked. Maybe a clue is when posters who are fans of your own company of choice aren't taking you serious anymore. So even if you have something of worth to say you won't get listened to. Anyway it's your choice on how you want to tackle subjects on this board, but maybe a bit more balance in your views couldn't hurt.

Road

psv_cd_67w_ltda7jrn.png

Code:
Dreamcast                             Vita
2000-02-28	8,256	1,410,913     2013-03-18	37,883	1,366,206
2000-03-06	7,164	1,418,077
2000-03-13	7,080	1,425,157
2000-03-20	8,561	1,433,718

Skyzard
Sony's Laguna

10/10.

Scum

Yes. It released today and has been on sale in stores for one hour and fifty minutes, costing 4,975 yen, about the price of Nintendo Land.

So, that's what? 30k sold, 12k WiiUs and a Nintendo Direct next week.

psv_cd_67w_ltda7jrn.png

Code:

Do you have that chart for WiiU-PS3? Launch aligned, I think the WiiU is still ahead of the PS3 at this point.

I believe you, I'm just poking fun at Nintendo's complete dismissal of relevant advertisement of their brand new home console as of late.

Well, this is the first 1st party game release since launch and there's been less than a dozen games launch since launch in total anyway. Not much to advertise.

Do you have that chart for WiiU-PS3? Launch aligned, I think the WiiU is still ahead of the PS3 at this point.
KxJfvRp.png

The Wii U should retain a lead for a while yet. At the current trajectory we're looking at something like week 30 I guess.

This is calendar week aligned, showing how the PS3 is essentially clawing back at the initial lead the Wii U developed.
H30zsX5.png

L Thammy

When does Game and Wario hit? I thought it would be in this week's charts. (EDIT: Nevermind, it was answered above.)

I really appreciate you posting these weekly, thanks! :)

It'd be better if you zoomed in vertically, though. For example, lower the ceiling from 400k to 100k in the weekly sales. It's pretty hard to make out the difference between the Vita line and the Wii U line now.

How's this? The cumulative chart should be sufficient if anyone's looking at the systems' launches.

jKZETZe.png

ieLIIWd.png

The Wii U weekly hardware line and Vita's are actually very close starting from week ten. There's not much to do about that: the difference between the numbers have been less than a thousand from week ten to sixteen, averaging at 430.

L Thammy

They would be system sellers but it seems quite a lot already bought it for Monster Hunter etc anyway.

This may have been addressed sometime during the Media Creates Hilarity part of the thread, but it should be noted that Monster Hunter 3G didn't have much completely new content (there's all of two new monsters) so Monster Hunter 4 will probably eclipse it by a significant amount.

Looking at the game's official website. The show one completely new monster, one from 2004, three from 2005, and five modified versions of monsters from the past two games. Note that these are the monsters that were shown off in the trailers, too. Portable 3rd had eight new monsters or so.

It's evident that a massive number of customers did not jump from Portable 3rd to 3G by the sales numbers. Yet Portable 2nd G exceeded Portable 2nd. I'm willing to bet that it's not just the platform that's the issue.

Does anyone think that part of Nintendo/Capcom relationship (am not a believer in the frankly mental moneyhatting idea) was an understanding that Nintendo would keep MH-Clones off the system? Did they ever have much sales impact?

Maybe, maybe not - just a thought I had the other day on the train.

I think that the Nintendo-Capcom relationship was formed on the assumption that the 3DS would make a buttload of money, and so Capcom would release games on the system to get part of that money.

LOCK

psv_cd_67w_ltda7jrn.png

Code:

So the Vita will leg it's way past the DC, what is next to compare? The GC?

big youth

I think that the Nintendo-Capcom relationship was formed on the assumption that the 3DS would make a buttload of money, and so Capcom would release games on the system to get part of that money.

Why do I remember something about a 3 year exclusivity deal for MH? if this deal wasn't in place Sony would have moneyhatted Capcom long ago.

Tratorn

5 PSV games in the top 20 and 4 of them are new releases. Smart idea to release them during the holiday.

Yeah, but they now have nothing for golden week which would also be important.

Idiocy begets idiocy. You're being just as childish as the posts you're trying so desperately to shame.

You should just ignore him. :)
He did already get a bann in some threads of an other forum because of permanently BS'ing.

Jonnyram

5 PSV games in the top 20 and 4 of them are new releases. Smart idea to release them during the holiday. Too bad the WiiU had no new offerings.
Well, Need For Speed Most Wanted came out, but apparently it didn't sell enough to make the charts.

Yeah, but they now have nothing for golden week which would also be important.
There are actually quite a few games coming out for golden week, including Photo Kano Kiss, Meikyuu Crossblood Infinity and Kajiri Kamui Kagura.

DGRE

Banned
So WiiU sales are abysmal, but it's still sitting cumulatively above PS3 and Vita if they're launch aligned. Just really shows how pisspoor the performance of all three is/was or how inflated out expectations are.

Sony needs to announce a PS vita meeting and announce some games for April, and summer.

I don't even know what Nintendo is going to do with the WiiU. Price cut and trio release seems the most predictable though.

SmokyDave

Since we are in a good mood. It´s quite hilarious that a game staring a side-character with a vacuum-cleaner sold about 3 times more than PSVs hope and "turnaround" title Soul Sacrifice in its first week.
Just facts, backed up by sales data. You can't blame Laguna if a perfectly innocent and reasonable post such as the riles up the PSFanboys that can't handle the truth.

Afrit

Can you point to any source to say that development costs are lower on the 3DS as opposed to the Vita? All I can find about Vita development costs is that they are not too different from the PSP dev costs.

Yeah, if someone has an idea, I'm interested to know too.

I imagined it depend on how taxing is the game design for the hardware, and the resources. Small niche games could be similar for both systems. But taxing games should be higher for vita.

Also, I heard somewhere that the royalties paid for Nintendo for releasing a 3DS game is higher than the royalties paid for vita games. Can someone confirm that? If that's true, then niche games which isn't expected to sell many copies anyway makes more sense to pick the vita

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just facts, backed up by sales data. You can't blame Laguna if a perfectly innocent and reasonable post such as the riles up the PSFanboys that can't handle the truth.

Someone must find him entertaining, because weekly trolling to the point of joke character-dom is not a thing you see as much normally, especially when its not been tolerated elsewhere.

Wonder when J-Stars Victory Versus is gonna be on its way, as that looks like the next PS3/PSVita game with a pretty big oomph to it. Hell I may have to import depending on the characters potentially making it a no-go for western release due to license hassle.

extralite

No, Japan didn't like Skyward Sword.

People who played it did, actually. It was one of the few recent Nintendo games that made the top 10 in Famitsu's all time Nintendo charts.

SS didn't do that great, because
a) the franchise as a whole is declining.
b) second Zeldas on the same console tend to not sell as well as the first one, especially late in the life cycle of the hardware (Majora was simlar). This is true also in the West and also of God of War, for example. GoW2 and GoWA selling less than their predecessors.
c) in the case of Wii, the target group of Zelda (core gamers) wasn't invested in the hardware anymore and probably only bought it used if a great game came out for it, like with Vita or GC.

extralite

Please tell me you're not being serious right now. Even a Sony PR rep couldn't say that with a straight face.
Sony fans preach as Sony PR reps teach. Really, bending numbers is just part of the reality loss is cool Sony style.

Clones don't hurt the sales of the top game in a genre, if anything they probably help to grow it.

It depends. Namco and Sega were 'cloning' each others arcade franchises during the 32-bit era and it did help them in the arcades obviously. But on consoles they were going head to head against each other and Tekken did beat Virtua Fighter in the end, pretty quickly too in the West.

Of course, the Namco arcade games only allowed Sony to keep pace with the Saturn, what really made the PS succeed over the Saturn was original new franchises without an equivalent on the competing platform, like Resident Evil by Capcom, which also greatly inspired FFVII, which in turn cemented the PS overtaking the Saturn in Japan.

Obviously the PS success story will hardly be replicated by the Vita. Too late, too far behind, not enough 3rd party support. But what worked for PS to make it the market leader might work for Vita to make it less irrelevant. That'd be a start.

So it'd be in Nintendo's best interest to not just get MH but also its clones on PSP to the 3DS.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
People who played it did, actually. It was one of the few recent Nintendo games that made the top 10 in Famitsu's all time Nintendo charts.

b) second Zeldas on the same console tend to not sell as well as the first one, especially late in the life cycle of the hardware (Majora was simlar). This is true also in the West and also of God of War, for example. GoW2 and GoWA selling less than their predecessors.
c) in the case of Wii, the target group of Zelda (core gamers) wasn't invested in the hardware anymore and probably only bought it used if a great game came out for it, like with Vita or GC.
d) SS needed an add-on to the Wii-Remote that automatically diminshes the number of potential buyers.

extralite

d) SS needed an add-on to the Wii-Remote that automatically diminshes the number of potential buyers.

Same was actually true for MM but in both cases they were bundled. But yeah, that should be listed as well.

More importantly, Japan loved SS, they just didn't buy it (new).

Yoshi

On another note, One Piece Vita sold less than One Piece 3DS on a slightly bigger user base.

One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP: 76,578
3DS: 1,033,333

Also, Unlimited Cruise is about as bad as a game can get. Don't know about the Vita game though.

Yoshi

Same was actually true for MM but in both cases they were bundled. But yeah, that should be listed as well.

More importantly, Japan loved SS, they just didn't buy it (new).

Yeah, you're right (but was there really a bundle for Zelda MM? In Europe, there was none because they had the DH64 bundle before). Ironically, my two favourite Zelda games are both second Zeldas, hampered in sales by an additional required add on.

Bruno MB

And especially because people are tired of Aonuma Zelda games. He's the Motomu Toriyama of The Legend of Zelda franchise.

Skyward Sword is a title with little appeal, with a huge development cycle that flopped worldwide, when was the last time a Zelda game hit the bargain bin that fast?

Frodo

Nice... Thanks for the info!

Now let's just wait for next week and the numbers... :)

RpgN

It´s funny how some compare me to Skyzard. In this thread every claim or opinion I posted was followed by actual sales data and are based on facts and numbers, if not you are free to proof me wrong. Even the hated comparison with KIU was explained and some members agreed with me in this matter. It´s really odd how agressive the reactions towards this were only because some didn´t perceive the comparison to be favourably for SS. The sad and embarissing highlight was the namecalling after stating the simple fact that LM sold nearly 3 times more than SS first week. Calm down guys and stop beeing dismissive to arguments and facts and stop insulting other members only because they have a different opinion, especially if they are backed up with sales data.

Skyzard is like a nice guy who doesn't know what he's saying when it comes to numbers and predictions. He might come over as a blind Sony fan when he enters these type of threads and his comments are more comical in nature for hardly making sense (though I still :3 you in the Vita threads), the way you handle things is worse than Skyzard (imo). You try to back up your claims with numbers which might be facts in themselves, but the way you come to these comparisons is often out of a hidden agenda. It's annoying when you're acting all innocent and thruthful when you're very selective and (maybe) blind to how your perspective is too limited. Dude, everyone knows why you're making these kind of comparisons! Discussions shouldn't be biased in favour of a company that you love, especially in sales threads!

So people are a bit optimistic about the Vita performance for the past few weeks, let them have it! Not saying that you're not allowed to have a counter opinion, but maybe you should tone down on sounding butthurt and hoping to steer the discussion in a more negative direction because you hate reading positive replies about a company you don't like.

Anyways, I don't want to get involved in this discussion and was just hoping to remain a lurker in this thread. It was nice reading some of the more neutral comments and it was funny reading some of the drama made for absolutely no reason.

VAPitts

What in God's name is going on in here?? Three weeks of good Vita sales and all Hell breaks loose! D:
By the way, where the hell is my Bayonetta: Climax Edition, Iwata?! I'm still waiting!

great, now people are rushing Bayonetta 2 *smh*

Laguna

Banned
Skyzard is like a nice guy who doesn't know what he's saying when it comes to numbers and predictions. He might come over as a blind Sony fan when he enters these type of threads and his comments are more comical in nature for hardly making sense (though I still :3 you in the Vita threads), the way you handle things is worse than Skyzard (imo). You try to back up your claims with numbers which might be facts in themselves, but the way you come to these comparisons is often out of a hidden agenda. It's annoying when you're acting all innocent and thruthful when you're very selective and (maybe) blind to how your perspective is too limited. Dude, everyone knows why you're making these kind of comparisons! Discussions shouldn't be biased in favour of a company that you love, especially in sales threads!

So people are a bit optimistic about the Vita performance for the past few weeks, let them have it! Not saying that you're not allowed to have a counter opinion, but maybe you should tone down on sounding butthurt and hoping to steer the discussion in a more negative direction because you hate reading positive replies about a company you don't like.

Anyways, I don't want to get involved in this discussion and was just hoping to remain a lurker in this thread. It was nice reading some of the more neutral comments and it was funny reading some of the drama made for absolutely no reason.

I didn´t want to answer to this kind of posts but keep in mind that a neutral post that actually was about how I didn´t expect a significant decline in PSV hardwware sales due to a better software release schedule compared to last week, kicked off the meltdown of some Sony fans.
That you perceive my with data backed up comments and reasonably explained comparison with KI:U to be worse than actually factually wrong arguments with no connection to actual sales data is something that I don´t agree with, the crucial difference is that the latter was a blind pro Sony rant.

I didn´t want to answer to this kind of posts but keep in mind that a neutral post that actually was about how I didn´t expect a significant decline in PSV hardwware sales due to a better software release schedule compared to last week, kicked off the meltdown of some Sony fans.

Sorry we have brains - seeing though your "neutral" comments is as hard as seeing through politician promisses during the election.

haha, so true.

PAL threads are soooo dull compared to Mediacreate.

No numbers to comment ;)

Taurus

You are calling out Laguna for that post, but give Skyzard free pass for this?

Who knows, but let's have a look at userbase and game sales for both platforms with the two big recent games:

With 10.9 M, 280K
with 1.4 M, 90K

So despite having nearly 8x the userbase, it only sold 3x as much. Pretty big difference if you ask me.

It's like every 1 vita owner is worth 3 3ds owners, to a developer/publisher.
perenowhat.gif

Sorry we have brains - seeing though your "neutral" comments is as hard as seeing through politician promisses during the election.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_pot_calling_the_kettle_black

you are living definition of this ;)

Top Bottom