• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

The next overperforming Nintendo title will be Paper Mario 3D. I can see it being a million seller if Nintendo pushes it hard.

I know there has not been a portable Paper Mario entry, up to now Nintendo only had released Mario & Luigi games.

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 sold 745,701, it almost doubled Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time sales.

The best selling Paper Mario title is Super Paper Mario with 505,491 units sold. The Nintendo 64 title sold 425,609, a great figure for a late release.
Yep, and it really deserves it, best Mario spin-off series in my opinion.

Nintendo is gonna pull out the red carpet with this one. This is the best time ever for Nintendo to grow their franchises.

andthebeatgoeson

That's what I've been thinking too. Why are they potentially cutting off 3D Land's tail? It goes against their evergreen philosophy.
They should keep NSMB2 for the revision and go for a repeat of the NSMB/DS Lite scenario.

I'm sure they couldn't have predicted 3D Lands long sales but I'm sure they are debating that same thing now. 3DS was off a cliff for awhile and the development was probably ramped up for a guaranteed seller. And, both games are that good to sell along side each other. They may cut into each sales but I'm curious what type of sales they can both get selling at the same time. Hasn't really been done with AA or AAA mario games before. And they wouldn't have pushed that much effort to get it ready by this year and push it off for another year. And I wouldn't be mad at them if they did but Mario moves units and that indirectly helps the third parties.

What Nintendo needs more than anything are 3rd party success stories and Monster Hunter and others being propped up will ultimately be better for nintendo.

The PSP continued to sell despite the DS' domination, never dipping to the lows that the Vita is experiencing and even had a semi revival in terms of market leadership and third party support. Nintendo is much more aggressive this time to prevent this from happening. They're basically GC-ing the Vita.
I would disagree and say that Sony did more to hurt the Vita. Vita needs games and sony has torpedo'd their first party offerings. Sony needs handheld games and they pushed another console-lite hand held out the door. It's strategy and Sony is failing. The masses don't want portable consoles; Apple is showing you that people want handheld experiences. Sony's has to counteract that and produce a cheaper machine that still pulls in people and not turn them off by the price. Sony can't really believe I want to buy a handheld for $200+, do they? I waited on the 3DS for a lower price and better games. But even this current 3DS lineup wouldn't have compelled me to buy the 3DS at the price they launched at.

BurntPork

Banned
Just keep repeating that it's tracking well above the DS, and breathe. Kneecapping one of your evergreen titles with an arbitrary limitation like the DSi restriction will do nothing but limit the sales power of that title and damage the brand.

That's no longer the case afaik.

JavyOO7

Maybe my expectations were to high but I expected KI to sell a bit more. Maybe be somewhere near 400k right now? Then again, an earlier post noted its the first Kid Icarus game in quite some time... but yeah, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want Nintendo to view this as an "A" franchise again rather than the purgatory it was before.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Goddamn, the Vita sales are depressing. On the other hand, the 3DS has an incredibly bright future in Japan, which is exciting from a software perspective.

E3 will be do or die for Sony.

Is it technically possible for Nintendo to get the Pokemon games to run at full 3DS res but at normal res for the DS? Maybe a Hor+ system?

If Pokemon is niche, then damn near every game series ever made would kill to be niche.

By this argument, CoD is niche because of the amount of people too young to play it.

I say niche to mean it doesnt have almost universal appeal (say like mario) its like marmite you either love it or you hate it, its just the numbers that do love it and rabbidly eat it up every new game is huge

When is the next game that could provide even a moderate hardware jump for the Vita? Metal Gear 2/3 in June?

Doubtful. The PS3 MGS HD Collection didn't exactly sell that well. The 3DS MGS3D was biting at it's heels.

I almost said Gravity Rush, but forgot that already came out over there. I honestly have zero clue would could take the Vita out of it's funk in Japan. a MH4 port doesn't seem like enough.

Gravijah

I say niche to mean it doesnt have almost universal appeal (say like mario) its like marmite you either love it or you hate it, its just the numbers that do love it and rabbidly eat it up every new game is huge

even mario isn't universally loved, there are tons of people who will not touch mario games.

When each instalment sells ~15 million worldwide, I can't help feeling it doesn't really qualify as much of a niche. Pokemon sells most to young boys, followed by high schoolers, IIRC.

Besides, we're talking handhelds, which match up far better to Pokémon's demographics, particularly in the West.

GCX

I haven't played much of the Fire Emblem series but it looks like Nintendo put a lot more effort into this title, Would that be correct?
It has a seemingly bigger budget and marketing push than the last few entries in the series, that's for sure.

Jeff-DSA

As a Vita owner, I'm getting worried. If it can't succeed in Japan, we're going to support from Japan dry up, and that would be truly disastrous for the handheld. I love my 3DS and my Vita, and I'm not ready for either to fade away.

E3 is going to be a true do or die for the Vita. If they can't get a rally behind the handheld, it's going to continue to spiral down into insignificance.

Cygnus X-1

PSP(2011 YTD)= 751,974
PSP+PSV(2012)=545,614

Looking ahead to Week 17, PSP did 77,225 in 2011.

3DS+DS(2011 YTD)=1,296,528
3DS+DS(2012 YTD)=1,493,854

Looking ahead to week 17, 3DS+DS did 45,551 in 2011.

All handhelds(2011 YTD)=2,048,502
All handhelds(2012 YTD)=2,039,468

Handheld market stable at least. Nintendo is also eating quite of the PSP market share it seems.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
You know, given that Fire Emblem sells better than Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil, maybe some publishers should consider reviving their strategy RPGs. : P

I would love this to happen since my favorite genre is SRPG. Can't wait for Western release of Fire Emblem 3DS!

As a Vita owner, I'm getting worried. If it can't succeed in Japan, we're going to support from Japan dry up, and that would be truly disastrous for the handheld. I love my 3DS and my Vita, and I'm not ready for either to fade away.

E3 is going to be a true do or die for the Vita. If they can't get a rally behind the handheld, it's going to continue to spiral down into insignificance.

Don't expect much from E3. If last year's show is any indication, it's become an increasingly Western-centric event, and thus it's unlikely that any of the Vita titles announced will be particularly relevant to the Japanese market.

Announcements of JP-developed Vita software are more likely to happen at TGS, or at whatever arbitrary timeframe the publisher decides on (see: Soul Sacrifice).

boingball

So the vita had stabalised at 10k? That machine is practically dead now.

No charted Vita game for weeks. Vita and Wii gap narrowing each week.

Great Job Sony, Vita is becoming the next 360 in Japan. Microsoft though has at least success with the 360 elsewhere.

boiled goose

good with gravy
But i'd suggest the number that wouldnt touch a mario game is far far smaller than those that wouldnt touch pokemon

cmon now.
appealing to some demographics more than others is not niche.

the twilight series is niche now?
dora the explorer is niche?
The morning news is niche?

:/

Brilliant start for Fire Emblem! Has potential to become the best selling entry in the franchise I suspect.

If it continues to sell well, it could even convince Sega to return Shining Force to the SRPG genre. I don't think Feather sold that well.

Those Vita sales... oh dear. 3DS continues to outsell it 8-1.

muu

I haven't played much of the Fire Emblem series but it looks like Nintendo put a lot more effort into this title, Would that be correct?

If you read the Iwata Asks, they mention that they were actually in a relatively tight schedule but finished the game w/ no delays. The quality of the final product speaks volumes about how much effort Intelligent Systems put into it, but budget-wise it likely was not huge.

FE's been notorious for both its hardcore difficulty and its continued use of somehwat cliche'd Jpaanese fantasy RPG characters, and I think their success came from dealing with both issues (Casual mode option while keeping the Classic mode intact, and a much more 'modern' character design while retaining characteristics of character patterns that are consistently in every release) that really opened up the series to veterans and newcomers alike. Probably didn't hurt that they snuck in a FE title into the list of ambassador titles, either.

darkwing

well there is that May 10 Soul Sacrifice thingy

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So I'm guessing that the new bundles were the reason for the Mario and MHTriG sale boost, right?

No country for Vita - pure win.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Also, I guess I should play that Fire Emblem I bought on the release date...

I wonder if Ciel no surge will boost Vita sales this week. There's quite a lot of buzz around the title...

TheNatural

My Member!
I think an interesting question about the sales too though is the PSP support.

The PSP picking up a lot of support late in it's life because the DS was basically incapable of producing the level of graphics necessary for many of these developers to keep the game they want to make intact without major concessions. So the PSP was the haven for games that required the power to make 3D worlds.

Looking at the release lists for Japan there's still plenty of PSP titles left:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/releases/region-2

I don't know what most of those games are, but they obviously have helped PSP in Japan with a stead ystream of support. What's going to happen though, when they eventually migrate to a new system? Is there any reason to go to the Vita, or just make 3DS games now?

That's probably gotta be the most concerning thing for Sony. The one thing they had going for the PSP isn't there anymore. If Nintendo is doing well with giving out development kits for the 3DS, there's not really a reason for them to go to Vita now, but just go to 3DS.

Cygnus X-1

Still regarding Nintendo financial report of tomorrow, they expect losses of 65 billion yen (about 800 millions $). The big question is not anyway if they will report heavier losses or not, but their prediction for the next Fiscal Year. If they will expect losses again for next year, Nintendo seriously is in trouble. If not, this year will be only history very soon.

Top Bottom