• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 16, 2012 (Apr 16 - Apr 22)

zroid

Banned
That's some serious wishful thinking.

I wonder if a Vita price cut will be as life saving for the platform as the one 3DS had.

It wasn't really the price cut that "saved" the 3DS; it was the games. No doubt the lower price helped, but sales didn't truly gain much ground until the trinity's arrival.

TheNatural

My Member!
Still regarding Nintendo financial report of tomorrow, they expect losses of 65 billion yen (about 800 millions $). The big question is not anyway if they will report heavier losses or not, but their prediction for the next Fiscal Year. If they will expect losses again for next year, Nintendo seriously is in trouble. If not, this year will be only history very soon.

Trouble in what sense? They have a ridiculous amount of money, they're not going away or anything close to that anytime soon if that's what you're suggesting.

botty

Banned
I would buy that Fire Emblem game based off of the box art alone.

I feel bad for any developer who has invested in any big budget Vita game.

Somnid

Still regarding Nintendo financial report of tomorrow, they expect losses of 65 billion yen (about 800 millions $). The big question is not anyway if they will report heavier losses or not, but their prediction for the next Fiscal Year. If they will expect losses again for next year, Nintendo seriously is in trouble. If not, this year will be only history very soon.

Unless they are planning to sell Wii U at loss I don't think there's a huge likelyhood. They will have smaller revenue due to 3DS bleed but that should get fixed up next fiscal year. Software sales should be way up with both 3DS and Wii U going and Wii U is actually releasing in the holiday season rather than the lousy Smarch sales period.

Cygnus X-1

Trouble in what sense? They have a ridiculous amount of money, they're not going away or anything close to that anytime soon if that's what you're suggesting.

Yes, but this doesn't justify losses by any means. Nintendo has to prove they can face the strong yen, the price drop of 3DS and the R&D for Wii U during next FY to be convincing enough.

Unless they are planning to sell Wii U at loss I don't think there's a huge likelyhood. They will have smaller revenue due to 3DS bleed but that should get fixed up next fiscal year. Software sales should be way up with both 3DS and Wii U going and Wii U is actually releasing in the holiday season rather than the lousy Smarch sales period.

Well, this sounds reasonable. That's anyway why I'm quite curious. We'll see.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I would buy that Fire Emblem game based off of the box art alone.

I feel bad for any developer who has invested in any big budget Vita game.

So, basically, you are feeling bad for almost no one.

TheNatural

My Member!
Yes, but this doesn't justify losses by any means. Nintendo has to prove they can face the strong yen, the price drop of 3DS and the R&D for Wii U during next FY to be convincing enough.

So basically like every other Japanese company nowadays? It's not good to lose money, but it doesn't mean they're in trouble. They're in way less "trouble" than Sony is right now. Sony has heavy losses, is making cuts, and it's big handheld product isn't selling.

It's the way things are, they just have to adjust and move on.

Anth0ny

ZUJHD.png

test_account

XP-39C²
Indeed, and if the hypothetical big budget Vita game is good and appealing enough it might even push some hardware.
True indeed.

I understand that making a game for a system with bigger install base means that one risk is minimized, but sometimes it can be worth to take risks. One could end up with a big success.

true but right now we don't even know one big budget title for VITA which is the scary part.
Then it is like mpl90 said, no need to feel bad for anyone hehe :)

How much would a big budget be by the way? Kinda hard to say since we hardly know any budgets of games though. I actually dont think i've seen any budget mentioned for japanese games this entire generation besides Gran Turismo 5.

dacuk

Well bad Nintendo news for sure and a new flock of 3DS vs. iOS news articles. I suspect we could once again get some new info like we have the past couple investors meetings to calm people down.

I am actually expecting some sort of reassuring to the investors that the WiiU is not inferior technologically to PS3 / X360

PSP(2011 YTD)= 751,974
PSP+PSV(2012)=545,614

Looking ahead to Week 17, PSP did 77,225 in 2011.
*snip the rest to take up less of your monitor*
Just wanted to say good on you for keeping up with this stuff each week, it's an interesting way of looking at things.
frankie_baby said:
When it comes down to it pokemon is a niche, a pretty damn huge niche but still at least half the market wouldnt be seen dead playing it, the 3ds needs a pretty damn big userbase beforr it'll get its own pokemon game
GBA hardware was at about 6.4 million for Ruby/Sapphire, DS at 11.1 million for Diamond/Pearl.

I am actually expecting some sort of reassuring to the investors that the WiiU is not inferior technologically to PS3 / X360

I really don't think investors care. They'd appreciate a graphical calculator that brings fabulous profit over a beast of a console that does.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear the words App Store in relation to WiiU. Not Apple, obviously, but a WiiU equivalent that has the magic buzzword to appease the investors. Maybe an announcement of an Angry Birds port or something.

Just making sure I'm doing my time zone's right, Nintendo is releasing their earnings at 4PM in Japan today(Thursday).

That is a little bit over 11 hours from now, right?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Investors don't really give a shit about graphics. They want to hear about something that is a sure-fire way to make a bunch of money. Greater focus on DLC/digital content, App store, profit on Wii-U from the beginning, technology that will get consumers interested, etc. Is the type stuff we could hear from the investor meeting that we would care about. Maybe a game announcement if we are lucky, or release dates for a huge selling titles like NSMB3DS and ONI Training.

BurntPork

Banned

Well, this sounds reasonable. That's anyway why I'm quite curious. We'll see.
3DS is still selling below expectations in the west, and Wii U releases during the tail-end of the year and possibly at a small loss early on, so they might need time to steady the ship. They definitely won't post a bigger loss, though. Well, unless Wii U flops of course.

Investors don't really give a shit about graphics.

But some of the analysts they listen to do, and several have used the recent less-powerful-than-current-HD-consoles rumors as rationales for revising their projections downward.

There obviously isn't going to be a new tech demo shown or a complete spec sheet released, but it'll be interesting to see how Iwata responds if he's asked directly.

Just making sure I'm doing my time zone's right, Nintendo is releasing their earnings at 4PM in Japan today(Thursday).

That is a little bit over 11 hours from now, right?
I think the fiscal meeting starts at 10am in Japan, 9pm EDT, five hours from now.

But you heard/read it starts at 4pm in Japan? That would be 3am EDT, eleven hours from now, yes.

I think the fiscal meeting starts at 10am in Japan, 9pm EDT, five hours from now.

But you heard/read it starts at 4pm in Japan? That would be 3am EDT, eleven hours from now, yes.

The results are released late afternoon JST on the 26th, which is very early the same day EDT. The briefing is in the morning JST on the 27th, which is tomorrow night EDT.

Earnings are released at 4PM Thursday in Japan, the conference call/presentation is at 10AM Friday in Japan.

Culex

Banned
Things are getting VERY bleak for the Vita. Hopefully it'll see a bump for Golden Week.

Fire Emblem.....amazing numbers! I can't even remember the last time Fire Emblem opened for that amount.

3DS is trending very nicely now. Unfortunately, this is around the time where the DS absolutely exploded in sales, so there is zero chance it'll catch up.

sphinx

the piano man
Things are getting VERY bleak for the Vita. Hopefully it'll see a bump for Golden Week.

Fire Emblem.....amazing numbers! I can't even remember the last time Fire Emblem opened for that amount.

3DS is trending very nicely now. Unfortunately, this is around the time where the DS absolutely exploded in sales, so there is zero chance it'll catch up.

were do you have the graph from? it can't be seen when quoted. could you repost? thanks :)

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
See. It's amazing the effect Folders on a handheld can have....

tumblr_m31ef4elbf1qzp9weo1_400.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Terrible Fire Emblem numbers. I guess not every game can be Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, or Valkyria Chronicles when it comes to sales. Hopefully it'll have some legs or become a darling of the bomba bin.

zroid

Banned
See. It's amazing the effect Folders on a handheld can have....

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m31ef4elbf1qzp9weo1_400.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Seems like this was picked up from TinyCartridge, so I have to say the GAF -> Internet -> GAF turnaround time here was rather impressive.

guek

Banned

I think at this point, the 3DS is a lock as far as being a strong product in Japan for the next 3-4 years, which is great news. Elsewhere is a little more up in the air, but the situation isn't necessarily dire. They're going to need a redesign most likely by this time next year.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Seems like this was picked up from TinyCartridge, so I have to say the GAF -> Internet -> GAF turnaround time here was rather impressive.

I did a Google image search as I couldn't find the original GAF link...

Nekki

I have to say i'm very, very happy about FE. I thought it would just scratch the 200k mark, because the initial shipment was that amount, plus an additional 50k that wasn't certain when it'd hit.

Looking at it like this, i'm excited to learn what kind of sellthrough FE has had in its first week. This game looks like it's awesome!!

@BurntPork

3DS is likely still charting ahead of DS (at least until march), even though it will soon be surpassed by the monstrous weeks it had.

Meh, people need to understand that a success like the DS, or even the PS2, is very hard to replicate, and it doesn't necessarily have to happen in order to be very successful.

Top Bottom