• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

If Nintendo waits till the holidays for the price cut its over already. Retailers have no faiith in this system and unless nintendo takes drastic action they will be dead before the thing even starts. If iwata actually believes he can turn this system around at the current price with no mario kart, his ass should have been thrown out of nintendo hq yesterday. Some people don't seem to realize how desperate a situation wiiu is in. Hell i'm more interested to buy a nexus 7 2 than a wiiu in the next few months.

Which will still be the case in September.

A price drop is inevitable, I just don't agree with the timing.

Well, what I fear about price dropping WiiU next to the PS4 launch (when the big hitters will come) it's because the hype from the PS4 might grab away potential sales from WiiU. Buyers who could potentially buy WiiU would fall for the PS4 hype and buy it instead.

So if you price drop it BEFORE the PS4, it might boost the hardware sales to steady levels. Then when the big hitters arrives at the same time as the PS4, they might keep the hardware numbers stabilized and not fall victim to hype of the competition. I can't see a PS4 launch title who can compete against Super Mario 3D World and DK now.

Don't know if you agree with me. But this is what I think is gonna happen if Nintendo price drop WiiU in the end of september and bring their big hitters in october/november.

If that's gonna work, I can't never tell.

They also have a back catalog of 2 generations of highly regarded games that could be turned into HD collections to fill gaps.

Exactly. There are many who may have never been introduced to some of the bigger titles across the Cube and Wii, and even then I'm" sure there is a market that'd be willing to pay for HD versions of these games despite already owning them. There is a plethora of avenues open to Nintendo.

Wow wiiu really has become the next vita with people upset that people aren't praising one of the biggest flops the industry has seen. Get over it, nintendo has one of the biggest fuck ups the industry has seen and they deserve every criticism that comes their way.

If i were nintendo this is what i would do for wii u

1. Get rid of the basic model. SKU swap in japan and price drop to 270 for the deluxe in the US. Throw in game and wario along with nintendo land
2. Offer a subscription plan of 50 dollars a year to play all VC games and a discount program
3. Get over themselves and make a real account system
4. Do a NSMBU and DKC bundle for 300 during BF to compete with the new consoles
5. Get together a development studio to begin porting all their big gamecube games for hd collections. This can easily fill gaps for the gen
6. Get a cross platform system set up and take advantage of your damn back catalogue to create some ecosystem

The third party situation is done for this gen but they can at least keep their console image alive.

This guy gets it.

Didn't Nirolak make a post a while ago about how people need to stop taking posts about poor sales performance as if it's some sort of slight against them and a personal affront?

Why do people keep essentially strawmanning with posts about how everyone is doing nothing more than crying "doomed," rather than discussing very poor sales trajectories?

Also, "people should be positive" when discussing sales performance in a sales thread, even when the numbers are not that positive, and live in some sort of delusion? Wtf?

Seriously, the Wii U is not your friend, it's not your child, it's not your lover, Nintendo is not your family, it's not even a co-worker that you're casually acquainted with and occasionally talk to at work functions. It's a console. It doesn't need your good vibes and happy thoughts.

The Destructo Disc seems to have failed. Next up, Solar Flare.

To be serious for a moment, I don't see them recovering without a massive price cut and I don't think Nintendo will ever do that due to the potential loss. It's just a slow death for Krillin now.

Am I the only one who finds the krillin analogies hilarious? The fact that as much Verendus is the only one who says it and it hasn't caught on at all on this forum makes it even more funny.

HardRojo

Didn't Nirolak make a post a while ago about how people need to stop taking posts about poor sales performance as if it's some sort of slight against them and a personal affront?

Why do people keep essentially strawmanning with posts about how everyone is doing nothing more than crying "doomed," rather than discussing very poor sales trajectories?

Also, "people should be positive" when discussing sales performance in a sales thread, even when the numbers are not that positive, and live in some sort of delusion? Wtf?

I don't know man but even if you tell them straight they won't understand, it's certainly baffling.

AniHawk

5. Get together a development studio to begin porting all their big gamecube games for hd collections. This can easily fill gaps

this would do them wonders, especially if a lot of those were off-tv play.

1. metroid prime trilogy hd
2. zelda wii hd (skyward sword + twilight princess)
3. super mario collection hd (sunshine + galaxies)
4. pikmin 1+2 hd
5. xenoblade hd
6. star fox collection hd (the awful gamecube ones in one amazing collection)
7. paper mario hd (spm + ttyd)
8. skip collection hd (giftpia + chibi-robo + captain rainbow)
9. disaster: day of crisis hd
10. fatal frame collection hd (2&4)
11. f-zero gx hd

brawl and melee would be good ones, but i doubt nintendo would do that for retail with 4 around the corner. same goes for mario kart. anyway, you'd get about ten releases, which would fill up the slower months quite nicely for a couple of years, i'd wager.

Seriously, the Wii U is not your friend, it's not your child, it's not your lover, Nintendo is not your family, it's not even a co-worker that you're casually acquainted with and occasionally talk to at work functions. It's a console. It doesn't need your good vibes and happy thoughts.

It's literally the most annoying thing in a sales thread. And it's never ending.

BlackJace

I'm liking the Gamecube HD collection ideas, but something tells me there'd be a lot of crying about, "oh look, now all there is is ports". I'd do unspeakable things for a Prime HD trilogy, or fzero GX HD.

Talking about how the system is in a bad way is fine. You for instance do use every resource to back up your points, and that's good. I think the complaints come from the posters who seem to spit bile when talking about the system's performance. Not even bringing up numbers, just uninhibited roastin'. Shitposts feigning critical analysis, really.

prwxv3

The GC port idea is great because they can fill gaps. Gaps kill goodwill and Nintendo need goodwill more then ever not just for the WiiU but for their next console.

Unfortunately, I think the idea of 60 bucks for wind waker is a terrible one, but nintendo has a massively inflated view of how powerful they are

Scum

part of me says that if they're really serious about getting the system going, they'll cut it by $100 and introduce a new bundle.

if they do it by $50, they'll be focused on profitability for the generation. if it's $100, they'll be focused on profitability (obviously), but they'll be showing a willingness to make the wii u a viable platform as well.

£199.99 Premium
£229.99 Premium with Wonderful 101 and a Bayonetta: Climax Edition eShop coupon. :)

I do hope Nintendo have a complete shift in corporate culture like Sony had. But it's going to be hard when they don't have top employees like yoshida (who did things against the Japan centric mindset when Sony still had it) and they absolutely refuse to let their other divisions to at least give ideas.
Feel free to laugh at me but I still think that Iwata, Reggie and Shibata are good enough. It's the likes of Miyamoto and the sixtysomething plus that Iwata has as his Board members that I have a problem with.
Nothing will change when Miyamoto, who should be knee deep in game development, is wondering around "Sticker starring" everything that others are working on. :-/

4. pikmin 1+2 hd
5. xenoblade hd
11. f-zero gx hd

brawl and melee would be good ones, but i doubt nintendo would do that for retail with 4 around the corner. same goes for mario kart. anyway, you'd get about ten releases, which would fill up the slower months quite nicely for a couple of years, i'd wager.

It's such a damn shame to see NCL piss away all the good shit they have available to them. They need studios at NoE and NoA. Those studios could have been put in charge of doing these HD remakes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's such a damn shame to see NCL piss away all the good shit they have available to them. They need studios at NoE and NoA. Those studios could have been put in charge of doing these HD remakes.

Yep.

Nintendo has serious issues with 3rd party support and that isn't going away anytime soon- but their catalog of games and IP's still feels largely wasted so far this gen and they could really help cushion the time between high profile releases with HD collections and smaller projects.

Also speaking of which wonderful 101 should come with either a bayonetta demo or perhaps a 3D World demo. This has worked for things before.

Or are you referring to Vita selling more in 2012 than the Wii U in 2013 (which shouldn't be surprising given that the Vita launched in 2012)?

No vita launched in 2011 giving almost a perfect comparison.

schuelma

Am I missing something?

Or are you referring to Vita selling more in 2012 than the Wii U in 2013 (which shouldn't be surprising given that the Vita launched in 2012)?

He is using a 2013 to 2012 comparison, where Wii U is behind Vita.

If you include the launch month, then yes Wii U is still ahead (and I believe still tracking right with the PS3, though it will fall behind soon if it hasn't already)

guek

Banned

1. Get rid of the basic model. SKU swap in japan and price drop to 270 for the deluxe in the US. Throw in game and wario along with nintendo land
2. Offer a subscription plan of 50 dollars a year to play all VC games and a discount program
5. Get together a development studio to begin porting all their big gamecube games for hd collections. This can easily fill gaps for the gen
6. Get a cross platform system set up and take advantage of your damn back catalogue to create some ecosystem

The third party situation is done for this gen but they can at least keep their console image alive.

I like whatever it is you're smoking. I've been echoing similar sentiments for awhile now

Talking about how the system is in a bad way is fine. You for instance do use every resource to back up your points, and that's good. I think the complaints come from the posters who seem to spit bile when talking about the system's performance. Not even bringing up numbers, just uninhibited roastin'. Shitposts feigning critical analysis, really.
The actual posts that amount to "Wii U is doomed/Nintendo going third party/out of the console business" serve no purpose in these threads either, I agree.

But the reality of the situation as it is now simply doesn't paint anything to be positive about. Sales rates below Vita's equivalent months in the US. YTD sales worse than Vita's equivalent YTD 2012 in Japan.

And the major discussion of this thread, the biggest game the Wii U will have for a while failing to push the system significantly.

There are things they can do in the near term to try and alleviate some of these problems. They do have upcoming software that should sell reasonably well and will provide new incentive to consumers to make the jump. They do have large cash reserves, and can afford to eat cost and cut the price if they really have to (and I for one think they have to). But that doesn't mean that everyone should simply hold their breath and bite their tongue and not discuss what info we have at this stage.

And these sorts of turnarounds are long, hard slogs, and they have never been as large or effective as what the Wii U needs to simply become an "okay" selling system.

I would also say one of the worrying things about the lack of a hardware push from Pikmin, that I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned, is that it may show the limits of Nintendo's core fanbase are being reached - i.e. the people who will buy the system just for Nintendo titles, the people who will buy a system for Pikmin, are already in those 4-6K a week it's been selling. Donkey Kong and Mario are much bigger franchises of course, but it leads to one wondering, when the sales come back down to those levels whether the people who would buy the system just to play 3D World, are the people already buying the system.

I like whatever it is you're smoking. I've been echoing similar sentiments for awhile now

What i fear is that people at nintendo think nothing is wrong right now and they can keep the 350 console and 3d world will make it all netter if they hold out long enough

I would also say one of the worrying things about the lack of a hardware push from Pikmin, that I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned, is that it may show the limits of Nintendo's core fanbase are being reached - i.e. the people who will buy the system just for Nintendo titles, the people who will buy a system for Pikmin, are already in those 4-6K a week it's been selling. Donkey Kong and Mario are much bigger franchises of course, but it leads to one wondering, when the sales come back down to those levels whether the people who would buy the system just to play 3D World, are the people already buying the system.

I think it is the case and why i make the argument that pursuing the same ips is really dangerous in the long term.

Wow wiiu really has become the next vita with people upset that people aren't praising one of the biggest flops the industry has seen. Get over it, nintendo has one of the biggest fuck ups the industry has seen and they deserve every criticism that comes their way.

Even though I think all the talk of "Wii U is officially dead and will never sell at all" is a little dramatic, I agree with everything you proposed. I'm a little confused by what you mean by "play all VC games" though.

schuelma

That isn't a bad point, but I think an argument in response is that Pikmin was initially advertised as a launch window title and wasn't delayed into the summer until February or March maybe?

I *suspect* those Pikmin diehards probably purchased the system at or near launch thinking they would be playing Pikmin sooner.

Something like SM3D World or Donkey Kong, while certainly expected eventually, possibly was not "built in" to the initial sales like I would argue Pikmin possibly was, since they were announced a month ago.

guek

Banned
Also speaking of which wonderful 101 should come with either a bayonetta demo or perhaps a 3D World demo. This has worked for things before.

This is the millionth time I've said this but nintendo should have rushed together an HD Melee + Brawl port for the holidays with some online play thrown in and included a beta key for Smash 4. So fierce is my Smash love that in my heart of hearts I believe it would have single handedly resurrected the Wii U, crushed the new consoles into dust, and Falcon Kneed the failing console into the Pantheon of greatness by selling 20 billion copies.

Even though I think all the talk of "Wii U is officially dead and will never sell at all" is a little dramatic, I agree with everything you proposed. I'm a little confused by what you mean by "play all VC games" though.

Pay 50 bucks or maybe a little more to play the entire catalogue of vc games for free. You don't own them, but it gives people something to do during droughts and is money in the bank for nintendo
That isn't a bad point, but I think an argument in response is that Pikmin was initially advertised as a launch window title and wasn't delayed into the summer until February or March maybe?

I *suspect* those Pikmin diehards probably purchased the system at or near launch thinking they would be playing Pikmin sooner.

Something like SM3D World or Donkey Kong, while certainly expected eventually, possibly was not "built in" to the initial sales like I would argue Pikmin possibly was, since they were announced a month ago.

Good point. Although i really think there is a huge overlap between people who were get the system for nsmbu and for dkc. Which is why i think its idiotic to have a holiday full of platformers when you had one at launch that didn't prevent collapse

Keyouta

I can see a price drop happening (hopefully soon), especially with the better exchange rate for dollar or euro into Japanese Yen. Dropping the basic SKU will happen, hasn't it already in Japan?

The Gamecube/Wii HD team would be great as well.

Things are looking pretty horrible. They need the 3DS to perform like a god this holiday if they want to see a profit this fiscal year. Hopefully Pokemon and Zelda create some headwind.

At this point the Wii U is a lost cause. They just need it to sell enough to stop the bleeding and have the 3DS carry them for the next 3-4 years. Overall they will be fine but Nintendo needs to do some serious soul searching on how they want to tackle the home console market next time around.

Yep. Annoying when it happened (and continues to happen) with Vita, annoying with the Wii U, and will be annoying with whatever bombs next.

That could work, but doesn't the sum of an entire catalogue easily cost more than $50?

The sum of netflix's movie catalogue is worth more than 10 bucks

And people who buy the real versions should get bonuses.

I really think nintendo could with enough effort turn wiiu into a mild success in the end but the executives are dumb as rocks and will fail this system hard

boyshine

4. pikmin 1+2 hd
5. xenoblade hd
11. f-zero gx hd

Are you talking about actual sales potential or personal wishlist here? Galaxy + Galaxy 2 would probably do well. The rest? None of those would sell without being complete remakes, and even then there are more misses than hits. And you leave out the most important one: "Wii Sports Resort HD Plus (including tennis, baseball and boxing)". The Nintendo Selects versions are still popular.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The sum of netflix's movie catalogue is worth more than 10 bucks

Or you play the Playstation Plus game of cycling out 5-8 titles a month, giving impetus to jump on board early or have to pick up those other roms for their standard price. Its mental they haven't instigated anything like this. I remember assuming this was their endgoal back when VC first arrived on Wii.

What i fear is that people at nintendo think nothing is wrong right now and they can keep the 350 console and 3d world will make it all netter if they hold out long enough

It's already going wrong. In the last annual general shareholders meeting, Iwata had a lower approval rating than usual. If that keeps up, he'll be fired.

Iwata might not want to resign, but if things continue to go poorly for the company, he will probably have to just to prevent an internal revolt instigated by shareholders. Some of them are already pretty unhappy with how things are going. In the annual general shareholders meeting, he was the only director out of the 10 elected who had a 77% approval vote, instead of the usual >90%. In last year's meeting, he had a 90% approval vote. If things don't turn around, it's just going to get worse next year.

2013 voting results: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/voting_1306.pdf
2012 voting results: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/voting_1206.pdf

Kid Ying

Is it really launching at full price? Has that been confirmed?

That's crazy if true.
In Japan it's almost 6000 yen, which is almost 60 dollars, but some games go for more there. Wonderful 101 is almost 7000 yen, so it's not locked that it's going to be 60 dollars on the west, but in Japan it's certain. The same price as Lego, Pikmin and others and a little more expensive than Wario and Nintendoland.

Cosmozone

Establishing a subscription service could work for Nintendo. Personally, I hate this business model and find it awful, but it has been proven to pull in people.

Scum

I'm pretty sure they do. But I wouldn't be surprise if a few on Iwata's Board can't be arsed to listen to the likes of Shibata and Reggie about possible fixes.

It's already going wrong. In the last annual general shareholders meeting, Iwata had a lower approval rating than usual. If that keeps up, he'll be fired.

I meant he thinks nothing wrong with the current course. He obviously know wiiu is failing, but the way he speaks makes it seem like he thinks 3-4 games will fix everything in a few months from his give him another year to telling investors 3rd parties will jump back in after the great sales this year

Also the way reggie talks its like fans are the one with the problem for thinking 3rd party wiiu support isn't good. Like they actually have a checked that box which led to the launch

Hey we got CoD, Mario, Dragon Quest, and MH nothing could go wrong

That's true. Pikmin 3 was announced much earlier and shown before the launch - the fanbase was more likely to be part of earlier buyers. And that also presumably means something like W101's HW effect, if any, will be more muted.

Similarly, something like WWHD which was announced in January.

It's actually as much a general query as to whether we put too much stock into "system sellers" and HW bumps around specific titles; when a lot of the people "buying X system for X game" likely do so long before the title actually releases.

schuelma

Short term, I think the following would be easy steps to take (and things everyone else does already for the most part).

-Immediately work and polish demo's for every single first party game you can. Put them out on the e-shop ASAP.

-Date as many first party titles as you reasonably can, including all 2013 games and any Q1 2014 games.

-Announce and unveil whatever NFC title you are working on.

-Open Miiverse communities for all first party titles and selected third party titles at least 1 month before release. Earlier for a title that gets a demo.

-Drastically increase the virtual console output and promote the weekly releases in short Nintendo Direct's.

-Broadcast a Nintendo Direct for any first party release and any significant 3rd party title.

-ANY 3rd party game or franchise confirmed for your system should be announced, even if it is a dreaded slide.

Essentially do what you were supposed to do the last 3 E3's- provide a clear roadmap of what owners can expect when they buy the system. Also take no brainer steps to promote the content you have coming to get the existing userbase excited about the system.

Does Nintendo typical provide updated projections for the year at the end of each quarter?

I would like to know how much Nintendo is now projecting for the year. 9 million LTD is clearly out of the question.

I would suggest 5-6 million sold, 7 million shipped.

No vita launched in 2011 giving almost a perfect comparison.

Whoops, it actually did in Japan (my mistake).

"Much bigger" is an understatement when comparing Mario to Pikmin. Pikmin 3 did very much in-line with what the original did on the Gamecube and the bump was virtually identical - I think Pikmin 3's bump was slightly lower than Pikmin's.

Based on how 3D Land sold in Japan, I think the bump from 3D World will be significantly more pronounced than the one Pikmin 3 provided. There is no Pikmin-equivalent title on the 3DS to compare to, of course, so this is just speculation based on how the title's prequel performed. I think a price cut is probably necessary as well.

Also i would open up a nintendo dojo as a fan website for all regions where fans can discuss gamesand nintendo gives at least 1 update on some game every day. It would be great for the nintendo fan community. The Directs are nice, but i feel like nintendo is talking down to us not with us. Get some community managers and even have some interviews with developers. Nintendo right now feels like some otherworldly entity that drops off games in stores once in a while.

They could even do AMA style interviews with nintendo people.They could also show videos of the dev studios. Its always cool to see behind the scenes

Top Bottom