• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If you read the link you posted it says October 30.

There will be updated numbers for Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms and Splatoon and most likely Super NES Mini sales and revised forecast for Switch.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
While Nirolaks analysis is spot on, Switch does seem like a market with very brisk software sales. I think its a matter of time before all Japanese third parties jump in. The Switch market is just too good to ignore at this point. Especially so because it adds the advantage of a potentially huge Japanese player base as well.

We ha e already seen with the Wii what happens when third party have already established a strategy for the gen

We will see few titles that will arrive too late

The only differences could be related to the switch truly becoming a successor also for the 3ds and in it being less casual oriented and more traditional in terms of target

If you read the link you posted it says October 30.

There will be updated numbers for Zelda, Mario Kart, Arms and Splatoon and most likely Super NES Mini sales and revised forecast for Switch.
Interested in seeing official numbers. Last we heard of ARMs it was around 1M and Switch <5M, I think

I wouldn't be expecting too much more for ARMS, it dropped out the UK and US Charts very quickly and it's dropped out of Japan Charts now as well, it may be selling 3k-4k-ish per week in Japan but that alone isn't going to propel it that much higher.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wouldn't be expecting too much more for ARMS, it dropped out the UK and US Charts very quickly and it's dropped out of Japan Charts now as well, it may be selling 3k-4k-ish per week in Japan but that alone isn't going to propel it that much higher.
It depends most Nintendo games don't typically stay in the top 20 of these all formats charts very long because they're single sku and in recent times lack digital sales but hang around just outside which is why you'll won't see them in charts but will notice their shipments being in a few millions.

It will depend exactly what it's placements have been to see how much it's actually shipped this quarter.

I seem to recall it having longer legs than Tekken. Probably not great sales, but we’ll see if it looks like it’ll hit 2M eventually

test_account

XP-39C²
It also worked for Super Mario 64 :p Seriously though, the name itself doesnt matter all that much, but i'm sure that developers/publishers have said that they've moved away from numbered entries due to not wanting new comers to feel that they're "too late" to get into the serie.

This worked for Final Fantasy in the west if you prefer ;)

Edit: lol beaten, forgot to refresh.
But yeah, plenty of examples, it's World instead of 5 more for marketing purposes and in case it doesn't do as well as expected and they decide to use 5 on another title. Not the first time this technique would have been used either.
Calling it World or 5 doesn't make it more appealing to newcomers.
In what way would it be different regarding marketing purposes to call it "World" instead of "5"? What would they try to acheive differently?

What are the examples when its been used before?

Kyoufu

It also worked for Super Mario 64 :p Seriously though, the name itself doesnt matter all that much, but i'm sure that developers/publishers have said that they've moved away from numbered entries due to not wanting new comers to feel that they're "too late" to get into the serie.

I feel like it does matter, at least to some people, when they say "this is not a numbered title so meh" which I've seen on JP boards but yeah I realise dismissing a game because it isn't numbered is really silly.

Orgen

If ARMS shipment for the Q3 is less than 1 million it'll appear on Nintendo results? I'm always confused about what games appear on the colourful shipments PDFs from Nintendo. Are just the ones that have shipped more than 1 million LTD or the ones that shipped more than 1million on an specific quarter?

I recall seeing games with shipments in the hundreds of thousand appearing in the quarter shipment results but I also don't remember seeing titles like DKC:TP in them and I'm almost sure that that game has passed 1 million LTD.

Anyway, I don't expect ARMS getting a shipment greater than 250.000 in this Q3 but I'm pretty sure that the game will get more than 2 million LTD in the long term.

hiska-kun

If ARMS shipment for the Q3 is less than 1 million it'll appear on Nintendo results? I'm always confused about what games appear on the colourful shipments PDFs from Nintendo. Are just the ones that have shipped more than 1 million LTD or the ones that shipped more than 1million on an specific quarter?

I recall seeing games with shipments in the hundreds of thousand appearing in the quarter shipment results but I also don't remember seeing titles like DKC:TP in them and I'm almost sure that that game has passed 1 million LTD.

Anyway, I don't expect ARMS getting a shipment greater than 250.000 in this Q3 but I'm pretty sure that the game will get more than 2 million LTD in the long term.

The ones that ship more than one million within the same fiscal year. Arms will appear all quarter results of this fiscal year.

Zalman

Hype hype!

The bigger question to me is which versions will get localised. I really hope we'll get that 2D version in the west as well.
Not sure about the 3DS version, I'm hoping the reason why they haven't announced platforms yet is that they're waiting for the Switch version to be shown.

SE will do PS4/Switch, and maybe a Steam port too.

3DS version depends entirely on Nintendo.

I think so, too.
My guess is PC/Switch will be a worldwide release on the same day as the PS4's western release. I'm afraid 3DS will miss the boat, but it would be amazing if they actually bring it over.

Fiendcode

That was independently confirmed by Sony. I don't think Square ever put out a statement.
Not exactly, Sony just rehosted the localization announcement that named no platforms.

Basically it’s confirmed for “PlayStation” but not yet PS4 technically.

I think so, too.
My guess is PC/Switch will be a worldwide release on the same day as the PS4's western release. I'm afraid 3DS will miss the boat, but it would be amazing if they actually bring it over.
Depends on how they want to wind down 3DS in 2018. I could see DQXI and YW3 being likely pickups though. Maybe even MHXX yet.

Celine

DKC:TF is indeed a million seller:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

Until there are more than 9-10 Nintendo published million sellers on Switch the best resource to get ARMS updated sales figure is the "Top Selling Title Sales Units" page for Switch.

Until now there are four million-sellers (MK8DX, BotW, 1-2-Switch and ARMS) and in the near future they will be joined by Splatoon 2, SMO and Pokken (maybe Xenoblade 2 too cause it's the first time the series is unleashed on a successful console with the right timing).

fortunato

Banned
DKC:TF is indeed a million seller:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

Until there are more than 9-10 Nintendo published million sellers on Switch the best resource to get ARMS updated sales figure is the "Top Selling Title Sales Units" page for Switch.

Until now there are four million-sellers (MK8DX, BotW, 1-2-Switch and ARMS) and in the near future they will be joined by SMO and Pokken (maybe Xenoblade 2 too cause it's the first time the series is unleashed on a successful console with the right timing).

And Splatoon 2 ;)

IIRC further news was expected this Fall. I think a Switch unveil+PS4/Switch localization at the same time is pretty likely.

There's still a lot of events coming up this Fall.
Sony has PGW and PSX live press conferences coming up, and there's also The Game Awards. There could be another Direct, or SQEX just pick up a date themselves. Fall isn't over until 21 December, technically. It could easily take two months before we get our next bit of info.

Eolz

I can actually see S-E trying to make a big deal of DQXI localization with a trailer at The Game Awards.
There's been some japanese games there in the past, and the PS4 version has a look that appeal to most people (a bit like DBFZ appealing to non-fighting games fans).

In what way would it be different regarding marketing purposes to call it "World" instead of "5"? What would they try to acheive differently?

What are the examples when its been used before?

MonHun World can actually be compared to Super Mario World in a way.
It was technically SMB4, but changed its structure enough, appeared on a new platform, pushed the envelope in some ways while staying pretty safe, etc.

World is the classic term used for "bigger in every way", be it graphics, world structure, bigger features/budget/etc. It's exactly the case for MHW, trying to show it's going to bigger horizons.
Of course they could have called it "MH5: World", but that's a stupid logic they don't use in the series and is more commonly used in the west.

Dropping the number (or even the title) for another term is not only used to show some bigger or different things (as seen with World), but also as said before to do risky things that can then be changed/reappropriated later on if it works out well. If it does alright, it becomes a spinoff, if it does badly, it's not an issue to drop it...
The Third Birthday (Parasite Eve 3), Super Meat Boy Forever (being discussed as 2, while being an auto runner not appealing to most people), SMT Strange Journey (being a mainline title but not IV due to not being in Tokyo), Persona dropping the SMT marketing part of the title later on, Castlevania dropping the numbers in the west once it left Nintendo platforms, Call of Duty with the whole Modern Warfare thing, Ace Combat (if Assault Horizon had been successful, I'm not sure the new game would be called 7)... Hell, there could be a Marvel vs Capcom 4 some years from now for all we know.
I don't think we'll have to wait long for MHW before knowing in which category it's falling.

I feel like it does matter, at least to some people, when they say "this is not a numbered title so meh" which I've seen on JP boards but yeah I realise dismissing a game because it isn't numbered is really silly.

I agree with you on both points.
It matters, but more as a little point you put on a list of several issues, not otherwise. It's dumb to say "I'm not playing it just because it's not called 5" obviously.

Mario007

Yes I already said that. Still no platforms have formally been announced.
Are you being intentionally obtuse? A DQ creator makes a video that talks about DQ XI coming to the west. The video is on the official PS youtube account, made specifically for the audience of that account. I'm pretty sure hes talking about the PS4 version getting localise.

Sure other version might and will probably get localised too, but that video is saying DQ XI is coming to PS4 in the west. No other way to read it

Zalman

Are you being intentionally obtuse? A DQ creator makes a video that talks about DQ XI coming to the west. The video is on the official PS youtube account, made specifically for the audience of that account. I'm pretty sure hes talking about the PS4 version getting localise.

Sure other version might and will probably get localised too, but that video is saying DQ XI is coming to PS4 in the west. No other way to read it
The starting point for that discussion was whether or not Square Enix had announced what platforms DQ XI is being localized for. The answer to that is no. A reupload by Sony doesn't change that.

The Game Awards is before PlayStation Experience this year, so if any of the two, it's more likely the former, I guess.

But the biggest chance still is a random day on Twitter with a YouTube upload.

Eolz

I guess PSX would be if there's another obtuse deal with Sony, be it for marketing (like Nier) or Nioh (temp exclusive hidden).
Of course it'll be promoted by Sony, but I doubt the reveal (as in first english trailer) will be there.

Laplasakos

The new Itadaki Street game is releasing in a week and a half. How is it going to sell? Platforms are PS4 and PSV. These are the entries featuring Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Mario characters:

WII Itadaki Street Wii 35.811 211.552 Square Enix 01/12/2011
NDS Itadaki Street DS: Dragon Quest & Super Mario 140.560 424.948 Square Enix 21/06/2007
PSP Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable [All Versions] 48.118 154.591 Square Enix 25/05/2006
PS2 Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special [All Versions] 185.809 399.715 Square Enix 22/12/2004

To me, the platform choice doesn't play in favor of the game. I don't think they'll have trouble in cracking 150k units but as the game will likely stay in Japan, that might be that much. I totally see this game and World of Final Fantasy more fitting Nintendo platforms, as they are more family/kid-friendly games.

I don't know know about Itadaki Street but i doubt WoFF would have sold more on a Nintendo platform (3DS at that point) after how KH3D and FFExplorers did.

I think so, too.
If Nintendo still wants 3DS releases in 2018, they will bring over Dragon Quest. There isn't much else to localize, and we pretty much know now that they aren't developing anything else for the system aside from that multiplayer Kirby game.

Mario007

The starting point for that discussion was whether or not Square Enix had announced what platforms DQ XI is being localized for. The answer to that is no. A reupload by Sony doesn't change that.

Yep, that's what Sony did. They saw a DQ video, used a video downloader and uploaded it to its own channel.

fortunato

Banned
FF Explorers did well though?

Yeah, it sold close to 300k units. Not that great, but not bad either. Perhaps not good enough to keep the franchise on 3DS, but it still getting a mobile release.

World of Final Fantasy sold less than 200k units on both PS4 and PSV. I don't think we will ever see a sequel of the game, unless they would like to try to expand the spin-off on other platforms. They tried to sell the game to hardcore Final Fantasy fans, but the design was more aimed at kids in my opinion (hence, why 3DS might have made more sense). I think it was a good product per se, but it was mismanaged.

Laplasakos

FF Explorers did well though?

No it didn't. Last time i checked it was around 270-290k. Game had the FF brand, hunting gerne, released on the holiday period and 3DS was on fire then. I still remember how people (including me) thought it would set the charts on fire. Lowest prediction was around 500k.

Despite what people believed and their predictions, the fact that Square released a new Explorers game for mobile and didn't even bothered with a ''G'' version for 3DS should tell us something.

Busaiku

Wasn't the game broken in the Japanese release.
Like it had a good first week, but then due to the sorry state of the game, it collapsed or something.

Mario007

Yeah, it sold close to 300k units. Not that great, but not bad either. Perhaps not good enough to keep the franchise on 3DS, but it still getting a mobile release.

World of Final Fantasy sold less than 200k units on both PS4 and PSV. I don't think we will ever see a sequel of the game, unless they would like to try to expand the spin-off on other platforms. They tried to sell the game to hardcore Final Fantasy fans, but the design was more aimed at kids in my opinion (hence, why 3DS might have made more sense). I think it was a good product per se, but it was mismanaged.
It was such a misguided project from marketing perspective. Honestly they should have waited a year and released as a 30th anniversary game with marketing blitz of nostalgia etc. Would have worked better as the game was actually very good and played a lot like the old ps1 and ps2 games.

Oregano

No it didn't. Last time i checked it was around 270-290k. Game had the FF brand, hunting gerne, released on the holiday period and 3DS was on fire then. I still remember how people (including me) thought it would set the charts on fire. Lowest prediction was around 500k.

Despite what people believed and their predictions, the fact that Square released a new Explorers game for mobile and didn't even bothered with a ''G'' version for 3DS should tell us something.

FF Explorers also looks like poop.

WoFF is a monster collecting game and did half of what FFEX did.

Top Bottom