• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

PunchyBoy

Banned
Why people compare Layton 4 and Layton 5 sales ?
I mean, Layton 5 was launched with the 3DS, so there were a few units, not like Layton 4 who launched when the DS was already 4 years old.

duckroll

Why people compare Layton 4 and Layton 5 sales ?
I mean, Layton 5 was launched with the 3DS, so there were a few units, not like Layton 4 who launched when the DS was already 4 years old.

I'm comparing Layton 4+'s drop with Layton 1-3 actually. I actually don't believe the platform is the main cause of the decline for Layton as a series.

Alrus

I'm comparing Layton 4+'s drop with Layton 1-3 actually. I actually don't believe the platform is the main cause of the decline for Layton as a series.

I think launching with the 3DS just made it worse. Some people probably would have picked Latyon 5 on the DS but decided it wasn't worth spending 25.000 yen on a new platform + a game for a story they didn't really care about.

PunchyBoy

Banned
I just saw that Layton sell best in Europe.
Just hope we'll get Layton VS Ace Attorney, Layton 5 is already for November 2012.

duckroll

I think launching with the 3DS just made it worse. Some people probably would have picked Latyon 5 on the DS but decided it wasn't worth spending 25.000 yen on a new platform + a game for a story they didn't really care about.

Not a significant number of people though. Even on the 3DS, it sold over 400k. Layton 4 on the DS is struggling to sell much more than 600k. At best on the DS it would have sold maybe 500k by now. But there's also a chance that on the DS it might have sold even less, because I think a big "brand" title at the 3DS launch helped it sell a lot faster than it otherwise would have. Being the biggest non-Nintendo title at launch probably helped a lot too.

I don't think the 3DS made it worse at all. I think Layton is at a point where people are starting to get a bit sick of the yearly format, and the bloated storyline and character relations.

braves01

Banned
I stopped playing Layton because tapping around for hint coins and to move everywhere just got old. I just want to get to the puzzles with as little wandering around as possible.

duckroll

I stopped playing Layton because tapping around for hint coins and to move everywhere just got old. I just want to get to the puzzles with as little wandering around as possible.

That's actually an interesting point too. With each game, they have progressively added more and more content that are not puzzles. Minigames, more "adventure" elements, much back backtracking, etc. With Layton 5, they have a ton of mandatory non-puzzle minigame parts which are like cinematic actions as well.

braves01

Banned
That's actually an interesting point too. With each game, they have progressively added more and more content that are not puzzles. Minigames, more "adventure" elements, much back backtracking, etc. With Layton 5, they have a ton of mandatory non-puzzle minigame parts which are like cinematic actions as well.

I don't mind the increasingly convoluted story or the yearly release schedule at all. It's purely tedious bloat that is killing these games in my perspective. If the formula was just exposition, handful of puzzles, more exposition, more puzzles until the end I would be all over it. Keep the tea mini games and stuff on the side.

Boney

Banned
I don't mind the increasingly convoluted story or the yearly release schedule at all. It's purely tedious bloat that is killing these games in my perspective. If the formula was just exposition, handful of puzzles, more exposition, more puzzles until the end I would be all over it. Keep the tea mini games and stuff on the side.

but they are on the side

I never bother with those, just like coins are easily skippable

test_account

XP-39C²
That's friction, and friction is deadly to business. Some people play with different groups of people regularly. Some people get started late compared to everyone else. Some people play in large mixed groups -- remember, MH is a game whose biggest market is teenagers, and it took off partially because people can play with everyone at their school, not just necessarily their 2-3 best buddies.

Each time you introduce platform choice here, you concretely lose money. Every person with two groups of friends that break for different platforms, you're looking at someone who might just not bother. When you can't get a monoculture going in large pools like a school, you're no longer dragging in new customers via peer pressure and trend-following because there's no longer a "buy this one thing and you'll be able to play with everyone" option. The factors that drive legs disappear and you split your upfront sales and then drop off the charts, or everyone just picks the preferred entry and standardizes on that and the investment in the second platform is completely wasted.

I mean, I don't know what to tell you here. Your entire theory about how this works is wrong. You want to use online FPSes in the US as an analogy here but the big differences between the two situations make it a really inaccurate analogy. Literally 100% of the appeal of this game is built around the idea that you buy it and play local multiplayer with people, so anything that makes that easier and more fun (rather than complicated and more work) will make the game sell better.
I see your point and it can very well go this way as well when going multiplatform indeed. But since you say that i'm wrong, can you give me an example where a game that was very succesful on one platform, but then that franchise went multiplatform and then people lost a lot of interest in the franchise because of that? I know that several of franchises have lost momentum, but i'm asking for an example where it has been proven that the reason for this loss of momentum is only because the game went multiplatform.

CoD was just one example (which is very popular all over the world by the way, not just in the US), i could have mentioned any console game, but i just used CoD as one example because it is a game that a lot of friends play together.

Right, and your insistence on drawing that equivalence is what's preventing you from seeing how the two situations are different.

From a purely economic standpoint, the purpose of online play isn't to let you play with friends, it's to let you play with strangers. The goal is to make it possible for your customers to play with others even if their friends don't game, or own the game in question, or have time to play with you on the same schedule. It reduces friction by making MP always available: if you buy a game at launch, you're basically guaranteed to find people to play it with at any hour of the day, without doing any coordination or negotiation to get your friends on board. People can do the work to play with their friends if they want, but the feature has still served its purpose even for people who never once play with someone they know personally.

MH is tapping people into a much smaller pool of potential partners, which means they have to optimize for maximizing people's opportunities to play -- which in turn means making sure everyone can play the game with everyone else.
I see your point and i agree to that, although i think this is kinda subjective because someone might want to only play with friends online and not agaisnt random strangers. Online is afterall just a way to play against others that arent in the same place as you, both friends and strangers, the choice is yours. But my point regarding this isnt actually that "deep". My point apply even if there is a single platform game. If you want to play i.e MHTriG, all of you need a 3DS. You need the same platform as your friends if you want to play it. Getting the same platform if you want to play against friends have never been a huge hurdle as far as i know.

it is pretty obvious. DQX is going to be the only console DQ for probably a long time, it will have total support of the main designers and that will be their sole concentration.

If you want DQ, DQX is the only thing you gonna get, and that will be only thing main team make anyway.

Lol whut? If anything, the "main team" is actually working on handheld DQ games! DQX is the first DQ game to not be outsourced to a company outside of Enix/S-E. It is an outlier in every single respect and is most certainly analogous to FFXI.

Lol whut? If anything, the "main team" is actually working on handheld DQ games! DQX is the first DQ game to not be outsourced to a company outside of Enix/S-E. It is an outlier in every single respect and is most certainly analogous to FFXI.
It is like saying that a Zelda or Mario that will be fully made under Miyamoto is not a mainline in the series, because he hasn't been fully involved in making recent entries; or that Ueda leaving Ico doesn't matter, or that Saka leaving didn't matter, etc; For these games, higher level people, like Hori, are of absolute importance compared to lower level staff and compared to a game like CoD which is going to follow the exact same formula over and over with minor tweaking than major direction changes. Or another similar example which is somehow relevant in terms of the genre, is saying that Ice-Frog has not been important in the development of DotA.

What I am saying, is if Miyamoto decides to make the next mario game, that will be the next mainline mario game, regardless of the team.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
it is pretty obvious. DQX is going to be the only console DQ for probably a long time, it will have total support of the main designers and that will be their sole concentration.

If you want DQ, DQX is the only thing you gonna get, and that will be only thing main team make anyway.

And FFXI wasn't the only console FF for a long time?

FF XII didn't come out until FOUR YEARS later.

Takao

Banned

However X-2 came out on PS2 the very next year.

That said, calling XI not mainline is kind of silly. The fanbase may not agree with it being as such, but it being called "XI" kind of makes it mainline

There was 4 console final fantasy last gen, on PS2, another major entry on PSP (crisis core) and two on this gen. There has been only 3 DQ since 2000 and one was a handheld game.

Horii is general director on every single DQ game, even the spinoffs. Just saying.
well, that's what I was saying, that he will be making DQX and not someone else; and he will be only making this one, not like another non-spin off in a year after DQX.

As I said, by the main team, I didn't mean that DQ 9 wasn't developed by the main team or that DQ 8 wasn't (or any other entry I mean!); merely that DQX will be the main entry solely cause Hori is directing it; but that FFXI wasn't

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
However X-2 came out on PS2 the very next year.

That said, calling XI not mainline is kind of silly. The fanbase may not agree with it being as such, but it being called "XI" kind of makes it mainline
Hmm, DQIX-2 for 3DS a year after DQX?!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The fact FFXI is actually called FFXI makes it a main entry in the series. It's true that there can be main entries without a number ( Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Revelations, ...the 3D Marios, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker ), but when there's the number, there can't be any doubt: it's a main entry.

DQX on Wii requires a USB drive.
eh, it costs MUCH less and is MUCH easier to handle?

The fact FFXI is actually called FFXI makes it a main entry in the series. It's true that there can be main entries without a number ( Resident Evil: Code Veronica and Revelations, ...the 3D Marios, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker ), but when there's the number, there can't be any doubt: it's a main entry.
Yeah, like XIV... now how mainline is that?

Orgen

Between this and your crazy wrong Amazon based predictions you are reaching BurntPork's level... mare de deu.

But since you say that i'm wrong, can you give me an example where a game that was very succesful on one platform, but then that franchise went multiplatform and then people lost a lot of interest in the franchise because of that?

You're asking for something that doesn't exist. The first successful franchise based around local handheld multiplayer was Pokemon, which was a first-party franchise and therefore couldn't go multiplatform. The second is Monster Hunter. And even if there was one, "proving" incontrovertibly that it was a result of being multiplatform would be an impossible standard.

It doesn't really matter, though. You can see the issue just by looking at how the franchise has been successful so far and looking at how different things would affect that success.

If you want to play i.e MHTriG, all of you need a 3DS. You need the same platform as your friends if you want to play it.

Yes, that's not the issue. It's fine if people need to buy a new platform to play the game; it's not fine if different people all go buy the game and it turns out that they've wound up with different, incompatible versions. The important part is that once you buy the game, the barrier to playing multiplayer is as small as possible.

test_account

XP-39C²
You're asking for something that doesn't exist. The first successful franchise based around local handheld multiplayer was Pokemon, which was a first-party franchise and therefore couldn't go multiplatform. The second is Monster Hunter. And even if there was one, "proving" incontrovertibly that it was a result of being multiplatform would be an impossible standard.

It doesn't really matter, though. You can see the issue just by looking at how the franchise has been successful so far and looking at how different things would affect that success.
How can you say that i'm wrong if it something like this have never happened before? :) If you never try it, then you cant know for sure how it will turn out. It can techincally go both ways, but it needs to be proven first. In this case, not everyone will own a 3DS, so making it multiplatform can expand the market. It is of course a possibility that it wont expand as well, but we wont know that for sure before they actually try it.

It is fine that you dont think that it will work. And i do agree that there is much logic in the reasons you give and that it makes sense for sure. I also never claimed that it will expand the market guaranteed, but i think that it could go that way.

Yes, that's not the issue. It's fine if people need to buy a new platform to play the game; it's not fine if different people all go buy the game and it turns out that they've wound up with different, incompatible versions. The important part is that once you buy the game, the barrier to playing multiplayer is as small as possible.
I still dont think that this is a big hurlde with being multiplatform. But by going on a single platform only, at least there wont be any issues if you buy the game, that is true.

Not a significant number of people though. Even on the 3DS, it sold over 400k. Layton 4 on the DS is struggling to sell much more than 600k. At best on the DS it would have sold maybe 500k by now. But there's also a chance that on the DS it might have sold even less, because I think a big "brand" title at the 3DS launch helped it sell a lot faster than it otherwise would have. Being the biggest non-Nintendo title at launch probably helped a lot too.

I don't think the 3DS made it worse at all. I think Layton is at a point where people are starting to get a bit sick of the yearly format, and the bloated storyline and character relations.

I do agree about the fatigue of the brand, but I think Layton succeeds in any case to push such big numbers every year; I mean, +600k for the 4th chapter in 3 years is not bad at all, even though Level-5 added a lot of additional contents (i.e. London Life) to try to invert the decline. Anyway, there 6th chapter will sell more than The Mask of Miracle, and the crossover with Phoenix Wright will be a success as well. Let's see how the company is going to manage the franchise after those titles, probably a home iteration on Wii U? Hino talked about how already released titles would be perfect on new Nintendo platform.

How can you say that i'm wrong if it something like this have never happened before? :)

This is not a real argument. "Well you never know until you try!" Yes, you do, if you possess a basic capacity for reason and can apply information from observation to draw conclusions about new situations.

Your argument is predicated upon finding a justification, however flimsy, for a multiplatform release. I'm going to presume that Capcom's decision-making process is going to hew more towards "what actually makes more sense as a platform strategy here?" And the answer to that latter question is to preserve the viral/word-of-mouth quality of the series by keeping each individual entry on a single platform.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is not a real argument. "Well you never know until you try!" Yes, you do, if you possess a basic capacity for reason and can apply information from observation to draw conclusions about new situations.

Your argument is predicated upon finding a justification, however flimsy, for a multiplatform release. I'm going to presume that Capcom's decision-making process is going to hew more towards "what actually makes more sense as a platform strategy here?" And the answer to that latter question is to preserve the viral/word-of-mouth quality of the series by keeping each individual entry on a single platform.
If that was true, people would never have walked on the moon just to take one example :) Just think about all the things that people said were impossible before, but that did happen.

It is a real arguement against you saying i'm wrong. You can disagree as much as you want with what i'm saying of course, and you can say that you think i'm wrong, but you cannot say that i'm wrong if it hasnt been tried before. You're coming with logical reasons why it might not work, i even agree to much of that, but to say that it is impossible and wrong when it has never been tried before, i dont see that.

The reason to go multiplatform is to expand the market so they can make more money. I dont concider that as a flimsy arguement. I belive that multiplatfor for MH could work if enough people own the systems. I'm not trying to say that MH should come to the Vita by the way, i'm just saying that i think it could work.

With multiplatform, i also mean that it could be two different games on the systems. Lets say for example that 3DS gets Monster Hunter 4 and Vita gets Monster Hunter 4 Portable. There arent any news if Capcom will keep both series alive or if they will just merge it all together and just call it Monster Hunter 4. Do you think that this changes anything or were you just replying to that the same exact game gets released on two platforms?

But all in all, this is not a discussion that has a key answer when one point (to make MH multiplatform) is yet to be proven to work or not. If you think that it is impossible for this to happen and that it will damage the MH brand, then i respect your opinion on this :) But personally i think that it can succeed. But only time will tell, if it happeneds at all.

Between this and your crazy wrong Amazon based predictions you are reaching BurntPork's level... mare de deu.
Is that supposed to insult me or BP?

You really don't have to say anything when you don't have anything to add; enjoy being in my ignore list

I believe DQX will come bundled with it, just like FFXI was bundled with the PS2 HDD/NA initially.
Probably, because it seems flash have to be fully dedicated to DQX. However, it still remains much cheaper and there won't be a problem for people at all to choose among literally hundreds of options if they don't bundle it.

Also, to put into perspective why I am not the only one who believes DQX to be a mainline entry and FFXI not; just look at all the meltdowns after the reveal. People knew that it could meant a new direction for the whole of main series and that there isn't going to be any other option for a foreseeable future , as otherwise we wouldn't see that much serious meltdowns. There's a clear expectation that FF XV won't be an MMO, but there's no such a distinction for DQXI; for all we know, that as well can be an MMO, the whole series can become only MMO if DQX succeeds. Like what happened to warcraft series after WoW and after a decade we are yet to even hear any sort of announcement regarding a strategy WC.

cvxfreak

So, does anyone know if a game's first week sales have surpassed the purported shipment numbers even without obvious knowledge of a second shipment?

It just seems as if MH3G should have a bigger debut than MH3, but the shipment cap is damning at the same time.

So, does anyone know if a game's first week sales have surpassed the purported shipment numbers even without obvious knowledge of a second shipment?

It just seems as if MH3G should have a bigger debut than MH3, but the shipment cap is damning at the same time.

Yes it has happened many many times, a lot of times those shipment numbers are first day....

Top Bottom