• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 48, 2011 (Nov 28 - Dec 04)

extralite

1. DQ is bigger than FF in Japan
2. FF XI was not a mainline, DQX is.
3. MMOs (online, social games in general) are more relevant now.
4. FF XI on PS2 required some whacky hard-drive and network adaptor.

While #2 has proven to be very controversial I think the other three points are stronger anyway.

I talked to a Japanese gamer about FFXI at the time it had been released an he cited the expensive HDD (as well as the subscription fee) as reasons why he skipped XI. The only real hurdle remaining is getting your Wii online. The tech's already there and the USB drive won't be as much of a price factor as the PS2's HDD.

As for subscription fees, high cartridge prices during the Famicon and SFC days didn't stop DQ from increasing sales with each installment. Why should the subscription fee put off DQ fans then?

I think DQ will do a lot better than FFXI did. It will most definitely be multimillion even.

If that was true, people would never have walked on the moon just to take one example :)

............what?

The reason to go multiplatform is to expand the market so they can make more money.

There are lots of things companies do to make more money on a project that only make sense in a certain situation. In this case, even besides the problems I outlined -- how are they making more money this way? Multiplatform ports are profitable when you spend a small amount of money to bring a game to a captive audience who, for whatever reason, aren't really going to buy the game on its primary platform. We don't really have a situation like this here because the goal is to migrate the audience for a previously-established huge franchise onto a next-gen platform -- MH is a kingmaker franchise and it's much more important to platform-holders to get it onboard than vice versa. You don't have a split market that requires ports for profitability, or a massive regional difference in leading platform, to name the two most common reasons for multiplatform titles this generation.

I see you're from the future. Cool.

ah ah yes.
I mean, I see the 6th chapter growing -more installed base will help for sure, moreover it's the last chapter, and it will be out probably one year and a half / two years later than the previous main game-, and I cannot see the crossover failing, since it combines two important brand, and Ace Attorney fanbase is quite solid, and waiting for a new game with Phoenix Wright in it. I'm not from the future, just explaining what I'm thinking about the issue.

watershed

Banned
Shinjuku West Yodobashi: sold out, restock on Dec. 15

Labi Shinjuku West: standalone in stock, limit 2 per person

Sounds like it will pretty much be sold out everywhere before the restock comes. When they say restock do they mean restock of all the different packages meaning the 3ds bundle, the slide pad bundle, and the stand alone game?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is it possible that some stores have had a restock, at least of the stand alone version?

cvxfreak

Bic Camera Shinjuku East: sold out
Yodobashi Camera Shinjuku East: sold out, restock on Dec. 15

So much for 420k being more than enough.

While #2 has proven to be very controversial I think the other three points are stronger anyway.

I talked to a Japanese gamer about FFXI at the time it had been released an he cited the expensive HDD (as well as the subscription fee) as reasons why he skipped XI. The only real hurdle remaining is getting your Wii online. The tech's already there and the USB drive won't be as much of a price factor as the PS2's HDD.

As for subscription fees, high cartridge prices during the Famicon and SFC days didn't stop DQ from increasing sales with each installment. Why should the subscription fee put off DQ fans then?

I think DQ will do a lot better than FFXI did. It will most definitely be multimillion even.
Those who deny #2 are in denial themselves! Honestly, it is so much a different situation that FF XI that I am baffled why it should be controversial to begin with. I mean, eve SE admits that they are different that the rest of series by giving them only odd numbers.

Anyhow, I believe the whole DQ fanbase can't drop to 1/8th or so just because the game has gone MMO and that it happened to FFXI.

----

DCCHARLIE VINDICATED
How much undershipped should a game be to be 'totally' sold out in the second day?

guek

Banned
Now I'm really interested in seeing 3DS numbers for this week. If it gets a massive bump, it might punch a hole in DCCharlie's whole "people wont jump to the 3DS for MH" idea.

watershed

Banned
Now I'm really interested in seeing 3DS numbers for this week. If it gets a massive bump, it might punch a hole in DCCharlie's whole "people wont jump to the 3DS for MH" idea.

I'm willing to bet he's gonna be wrong about that, it looks like his LTD 800k prediction is gonna be a bust soon enough unless everyone who wants MHTriG has already bought one, the second shipment bombs, or there's a massive consumer backlash to some unfixable game breaking bug or something.

It's a shame Capcom didn't put on the market more bundles with the console. I mean, just 20k?

It's a shame Capcom didn't put on the market more bundles with the console. I mean, just 20k?

Maybe they just did this on purpose, they simply do not want to exceed the demand so as to keep on selling full price throughout upcoming weeks.

Either way I think they were pretty conservative, they should at least have gone for 500k/600k, it was a no-brainer.

By the way a good time to buy/resell at a higher price, I never did this sort of thing myself but I gather you can make some money out of it apparently.

Mpl90

Maybe, the real plan was to just ship under expectations to create sell outs and great demand, to have the best second week possible...and so the best obstacle to Vita selling possible.

It's the only explanation I can find at this point.

Gravijah

maybe miyamoto personally sabotaged the production lines, which is why he was forced into retiring and forever working on sequels to rolling western.

Maybe, the real plan was to just ship under expectations to create sell outs and great demand, to have the best second week possible...and so the best obstacle to Vita selling possible.

It's the only explanation I can find at this point.

Yes, because also with the fear of overshipment 420k seems too low, I mean, one day sold-out!

Yes, because also with the fear of overshipment 420k seems too low, I mean, one day sold-out!

Or maybe they just had some last minute issue - like a bug that had to be fixed - and were just behind in the production line.
Speaking of which, how many copies do you think they are able to produce daily, including booklets and paackaging?

Michan

So I wonder if there has been a small restock, or if some of the stores just have stock left over from yesterday? If the former, bear in mind that large chains will have stock shipped to their warehouses and might not have dispatched it to all of their stores in one go.

Or maybe they just had some last minute ssue and were just behind in production lines.
Speaking of which, how many copies do you think they are able to produce daily, including booklets and paackaging?

Booklets and packaging do not take long to print. Anybody can do it from anywhere. It's getting the cartridges from Nintendo that is usually the problem, as there's something like a week's delay between ordering cartridges to receiving them.

test_account

XP-39C²
............what?
A 100 years ago, you could use basic capacity for reason and you could apply information from observation to draw conclusions that it was impossible to walk on the moon. Today we know otherwise because it has been proven that it is actually possible to walk on the moon. But if everyone though that it was impossible, then no one would have started the space program and dismissed the idea that it was possible to walk on the moon. And because of this, then no one would have walked on the moon.

The point is that applying information from observation isnt necessarily the only possible outcome of a situation, especially when something havnt been tried before. You presented some reasons why MH wouldnt work as a multiplatform title, and i agree to that what you're saying there makes much sense. But what i dont agree with is that you basically say that this is the only possible outcome and that i'm wrong because i think otherwise. It hasnt even been tried out, and yet you say that it is wrong. You're dismissing the idea before even trying it. That is why i gave the moon example, to show that if someone thinks that the outcome looks impossible, it doesnt necessarily means that it actually is impossible :)

Or to put it in short, sometimes you just got to try something out before you know for sure if it will work or not.

There are lots of things companies do to make more money on a project that only make sense in a certain situation. In this case, even besides the problems I outlined -- how are they making more money this way? Multiplatform ports are profitable when you spend a small amount of money to bring a game to a captive audience who, for whatever reason, aren't really going to buy the game on its primary platform. We don't really have a situation like this here because the goal is to migrate the audience for a previously-established huge franchise onto a next-gen platform -- MH is a kingmaker franchise and it's much more important to platform-holders to get it onboard than vice versa. You don't have a split market that requires ports for profitability, or a massive regional difference in leading platform, to name the two most common reasons for multiplatform titles this generation.
Exactly, and that is what i think might be a possibility. There are always someone who owns just one platform out there. Like me, i dont own a Xbox 360 and i'm kinda interested in Gears of War, but not interested enough to buy a Xbox 360 for it. If the game came out for PS3 (which i own), then i would buy it. Since MH is a very popular franchise, i think that it can support two platforms fine like this. I dont think that everyone plays it only through local multiplayer either, i'm sure that many are enjoying it as a single player experience as well. I could be wrong about this multiplatform situation of course, i'm not claiming that it is a 100% safe bet, but we wont know that for sure before it is actually tried out :)

But as i said in my previous post, with multiplatform i dont necessarily mean just a port of the same game. It can also be a game of it's own, like MHP4 for example. What do you think about this?

Erethian

Capcom expects to ship 1.2 million copies of 3G by the end of March 2012.

So they were probably assuming slow but steady sales up until that date, rather than a (relatively) big first week. Under those circumstances I can see why they would have only shipped 420k copies without a second shipment immediately on hand. Don't think it was a supply line issue either, because we've known about the low first shipment for weeks now.

watershed

Banned
Capcom expects to ship 1.2 million copies of 3G by the end of March 2012.

So they were probably assuming slow but steady sales up until that date, rather than a (relatively) big first week. Under those circumstances I can see why they would have only shipped 420k copies without a second shipment immediately on hand. Don't think it was a supply line issue either, because we've known about the low first shipment for weeks now.

That number seems reasonable given how far away March is, and I assume Capcom wants the game to have long legs. But what happens when a game goes too long without being available on shelves? Does demand continue to build or do potential customers opt for something else instead (not counting the hardcore MH players who line up and stuff).

Erethian

That number seems reasonable given how far away March is, and I assume Capcom wants the game to have long legs. But what happens when a game goes too long without being available on shelves? Does demand continue to build or do potential customers opt for something else instead (not counting the hardcore MH players who line up and stuff).

Like schuelma said earlier in the thread it probably isn't as big of an issue for MH (stock not being on shelves) because of its reliance on co-op multiplayer. It's singleplayer games with finite replayability that get traded back in days that tend to get their sales legs cut off, if there's a severe shortage of stock.

It's more a missed opportunity to put up some big first week sales, than anything.

I don't see why they would want it to have strong legs, while MH4 is scheduled for 2012 already.

watershed

Banned
Like schuelma said earlier in the thread it probably isn't as big of an issue for MH (stock not being on shelves) because of its reliance on co-op multiplayer. It's singleplayer games with finite replayability that get traded back in days that tend to get their sales legs cut off, if there's a severe shortage of stock.

It's more a missed opportunity to put up some big first week sales, than anything.

I see, well then as someone mentioned, to Nintendo's benefit, a monster 2nd week would do well to cut in on the Vita's launch hype/news/cycle.
I don't see why they would want it to have strong legs, while MH4 is scheduled for 2012 already.
I didn't know MH4 is expected for 2012, but either way I meant long legs as opposed to big games that have great first weeks then 60-70% drops the 2nd week. I imagine Capcom is looking for sustained high sales as a sign that they are reaching new consumers by being on a Nintendo handheld.

Mpl90

Yes, it's a multiplayer game. A co-op local multiplayer beast. So, it will have the possibility to grow despite a "low" first shipment.
And it'll grow.

Glad I added 3DS HW to the prediction set, seems like people here are interested in a (meaningless, yet fun) pissing contest with the Vita launch.

Surprised like Chris we don't have a frigging clue about Vita numbers though, although today it surprised me when I checked YSO guys predictions and they are much higher than I thought (ranging from 330 to 500k predictions for Vita). Its the first entry in よそしよ if you want to look up them yourselves (2nd there is the Vita LTD until 1/8, 4 weeks, then soft in top30 total). Either I have very lowered expectations or everyone else misunderstood SCE 500k comment about the 3G model which was a limit on the some free 3G offer and not at all about the first shipment....or I'll be very wrong with my predictions, which brings me joy to remind everyone of:
t1323867600z0.png

Prediction Set Guidelines

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
get6-2

Capcom has planned to ship 1 million before the year ends, that number could go up if there is demand.

He estimates half million sold yesterday which means that there is a possibilitty initial shipment was more.

get6-2

Capcom has planned to ship 1 million before the year ends, that number could go up if there is demand.

He estimates half million sold yesterday which means that there is a possibilitty initial shipment was more.

Wasn't the initial plan something like 1-million-odd shipped by the end of the financial year? So they've decided they can hit that figure a lot earlier?

re: Shipments. Is it possible there were shipments ready to go to stores depending on initial sales, so Nintendo/Capcom were in a position to provide quick follow-up shipments? I'm sure I remember other titles receiving follow-up shipments on launch day.

Little amazon musings, normally every time vita goes up for preorder it goes very high and sells out quickly however its been available at least since yesterday and not in a particularly high position (at the mo 3g at 15 and wifi at 30 something)

cvxfreak

get6-2

500k on day one? That would mean it was moving at a similar pace to MH3.

I hope Famitsu publishes a report tomorrow night...

Top Bottom