• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
4th week Famitsu

[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii (Bandai Namco) - 36.791 / 287.974 {2008.12.11}
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 2 (Bandai Namco) - 22.042 / 83.527 {2009.11.19}
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii 3daime (Bandai Namco) - 53.486 / 121.668 {2010.12.02}
[WII] Taiko Drum Master Wii: Definitive Edition (Bandai Namco) - 26.251 / 80.443
{2011.11.23}

In line with the last two, considering also that the classic Taiko boost is excluded from the weeks counted for both 2 and Definitive, but included in 3daime due to its release date.

Around 20% of the units I sell are people buying just the hardware alone; around 30% but one with Mario Kart 7. Outside of those two, it's rare for me to sell any other software with hardware.

This statement doesn't make sense to me. "30% but one with Mario Kart 7". Also I'm assuming the outside of those two software is refering to Mario Kart and Monster Hunter? Or maybe Mario Kart and 3D Land?

Mpl90

Well, here you go, written in blog style:

Popularity of 3DS continues after Christmas
Momentum of 3DS hardware hasn't stopped

Once Christmas is over, momentum is expected to subside, but the 3DS seems to be doing the opposite: it's accelerating. Even at my own small shop, I sell around 2 to 3 units everyday. Wholesale retailers, which will close for the New Years holiday, are worried about how many units they should be keeping in stock.

I've already anticipated and prepared for the New Years sales period, but it looks like I will definitely not have enough 3DS systems. I might've been a bit slow at realizing that the other game systems are going to be overshadowed by the 3DS. If I had the funds, I would order around 10 units of each color, but that's definitely pushing it. Heh.

Half the units I sell are sold with MH3G. I should blame MH for this situation, lol.

Around 20% of the units I sell are people buying just the hardware alone; around 30% but one with Mario Kart 7. Outside of those two, it's rare for me to sell any other software with hardware.

Nintendo 3DS Aqua Blue appears to be out of stock at wholesale, so I'll be unable to restock them until the New Year, heh. At my shop, pink is the least popular color. Pink is probably doing better at shops that have a stronger female presence.

Thank you very much! :D
If you can do also the second, which is more general, since it talks about also other consoles and non 3DS games... :p

Truth101

Banned
We know too little about Wii U right now. Part of me wants it to fail spectacularly so maybe I could get a new Custom Robo game as desperate Nintendo reveals itself once more.
Ah, Customer Robo. I could see great things for its future if we got a 3rd one.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This statement doesn't make sense to me. "30% but one with Mario Kart 7". Also I'm assuming the outside of those two software is refering to Mario Kart and Monster Hunter? Or maybe Mario Kart and 3D Land?

I'm just going to say that the T and Y key on a keyboard are right next to each other and that mistakes happen. :p

Mpl90

With a 6 minute difference, no less. Haha, how does that happen!?

Anyway, yes the store impressions are interesting, though "anecdotal evidence".

Well, the fact they're still anecdotal evidences is obvious, but...Chris told us about PSP better than Vita much in advance due to store reports, after all. :p

And still, we miss Vinnk's Village impression :(

watershed

Banned
He doesn't say that, from what I understand he wonders how many units he must order to meet demand. Nintendo was prepared for huge shipments everywhere.

I was looking at the "aqua blue is out of stock at wholesale" comment. So not that there are shortages on 3ds units but that stores can't restock on blue 3ds units until the new year.

We know too little about Wii U right now. Part of me wants it to fail spectacularly so maybe I could get a new Custom Robo game as desperate Nintendo reveals itself once more.

Obviously this. It's current picture doesn't look appealing though. An expensive controller, a confusing gimmick(it's different features contradict each other such as the streaming feature and saying the Wii U can make new game experiences), the use of Wiimotes, it's power seems to be closer to the 360/PS3 ballpark, a lot of the anounced games are ports of western games that will be available on 360/PS3 prior, Nintendo has never seemed to have good relations with Western 3rd parties which is important to Home console success. Doesn't mean that it can't have a good turnaround but the current picture looks worrisome, imo. Nintendo always has some cards up it's sleave especially when the launch is still somewhat far away.

Orgen

SOFTWARE
Code:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |
|  ALL  |  3.417.000 |  2.812.000 |  3.505.441 | 52.249.000 | 63.616.757 |

Only one week more for MC right? Then we'll get (more or less) 7 million less sales this 2011. I know last year had MHP 3rd but man, what a disappointing year in Japan software wise :|

Also, big differences with FF XIII-2 and Wii Party between MC and Famitsu.

And finally I'd like to thank Road and Chris for the numbers and their funny graphs/remarks ;D

Retailers impressions.

Searching from various sites linked in occasion of Vita's launch, I found these almost recent ( the date is 27th ) reports.

http://ameblo.jp/omisedayori

Not accurate, here's what I think is the jist of it.

First best selling hardware is Nintendo 3DS. Games being purchased for it include Mario Kart, SD Gundam, Monster Hunter, One Piece. Also a note of there are many buyers of the Slide Pad extention for Monster Hunter.

Second is Wii. Titles mentioned include Zelda, Kirby, Just Dance, Go Vacation, Mario Kart, and Wii Party. Multiplayer seems to be the theme, I think. Blogger notes that it seems they are now buying Wii stuff after not selling much for the past months.

Third is PS3. Warriors Orochi 2 selling steadily. Gundam has continued to sell. But lots of inventory for FFXIII-2.

Fourth is Vita. Software sells, but hardware? Not so much.

Fifth is the original PSP. Software strong seller compared to hardware.

The last bit seem to be about Vita's sales price, and in relationship to the 3DS price drop, but this one is hard to decipher from online translations.

Alrus

Only one week more for MC right? Then we'll get (more or less) 7 million less sales this 2011. I know last year had MHP 3rd but man, what a disappointing year in Japan software wise :|

Well to be fair, last year also had Pokemon. Not every year can have such massive sellers :/ Still, it's quite low :/

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

2010 has one more remaining week too, the difference will be close to 10 million.

At least hardware is way up.

deadvita.jpg
I'm glad to say "I see what you did there"!

Datschge

Since the majority of the Vita units support 3G, is Sony respective ISPs using that for subsidizing Vita when sold together with a phone contract? This is an obvious way to lower the initial cost of acquisition, and since that's a different channel it may not be covered by the usual sales tracking. Does such subsidizing already happen in Japan or is that uncommon there?

Orgen

Well to be fair, last year also had Pokemon. Not every year can have such massive sellers :/ Still, it's quite low :/

And this year had MH too, Final Fantasy, Mario Kart and Mario ;P (I know, I know, but look at this...)

2010 has one more remaining week too, the difference will be close to 10 million.

Fu... I thought the 2010 YTD was for the whole year. Almost 10 million it's A LOT. And Pokemon & MHP3rd are not excuses. We'll see how 2012 fares (3DS has a couple multi-million sellers and MK7, SM3DL and MH3G still selling but everything else it's a mystery (WiiU & Vita)).

Yeah, HW is way up with 2 new launches... and one of them exploding in sales!

And a little off-topic, is Mario Tennis 3D dated? I don't know when it's out but it shouldn't be late, right?

Erethian

Since the majority of the Vita units support 3G, is Sony respective ISPs using that for subsidizing Vita when sold together with a phone contract? This is an obvious way to lower the initial cost of acquisition, and since that's a different channel it may not be covered by the usual sales tracking. Does such subsidizing already happen in Japan or is that uncommon there?

The first 500k 3G units had (or should I say have) a free 100 hour data plan, but aside from that I don't think there is any bundling going on.

3DS has passed DS and Wii's first 52 weeks. GBA is still ahead, but it will be close.
mc

Andrex said:
Could we get a launch-aligned chart for all four?
Here's through one year, though there's not much of Vita to see yet.
2011-12-12

Mpl90

How were sales on that game?

[GBA] Custom Robo GX (Nintendo) - 37.449 / 148.897 / 25,15% 26/07/02
[GCN] Custom Robo: Battle Revolution (Nintendo) - 73.381 / 144.049 / 50,94% 04/03/04
[N64] Custom Robo V2 (Nintendo) - 62.558 / 264.164 / 23,68% 10/11/00
[N64] Custom Robo (Nintendo) - 35.579 / 221.921 / 16,03% 08/12/99
[NDS] Custom Robo: Arena (Nintendo) - 39.176 / 109.279 / 35,85% 19/10/06

EDIT: Takao is too quick on these robot things. Too. Quick.

GDGF

Soothsayer
mario_111225.png

* SM3DL enters, knocking Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA; 0.92m) out and Galaxy 2 down a place.
* It took 8 weeks for SM3DL to reach 1 million sold units.
* It appears that both SM3DL and Mario Kart 7 reached 1 million units on roughly the same day.
* This is the first time all of the Mario titles in the chart have been above 1 million!
* SM3DL will take SMG (and maybe SM64DS) next week.
* Feels good man

This is what I was waiting for.

Now Sales Age (japan side) is complete.

Wait! Not yet. We still need that __________ level failure/_________ level success chart for the new portables!

Takao

Banned
Yes... But were the sales any good is what I'm asking.

[N64] Custom Robo (Nintendo) - 35,579 / 221,921
[N64] Custom Robo V2 (Nintendo) - 62,558 / 264,164
[GCN] Custom Robo: Battle Revolution (Nintendo) - 73,381 / 144,049
[GBA] Custom Robo GX (Nintendo) - 37,449 / 148,897
[NDS] Custom Robo: Arena (Nintendo) - 39,176 / 109,279

Mpl90

This is what I was waiting for.

Now Sales Age (japan side) is complete.

Wait! Not yet. We still need that __________ level failure/_________ level success chart for the new portables!

Oh, yes. Congratulations to Michan for not being permabanned, after all! :D

Dalthien

Unfortunately, the hardware bump is solely due to the 3DS. Everything else is down this year.

2011 3DS+DS ---> Up from 2010 DS

2011 PSP+Vita ---> Down from 2010 PSP
2011 PS3 ----> Down from 2010 PS3
2011 Wii ----> Down from 2010 Wii
2011 360 ---> Down from 2010 360
2011 PS2 ---> Down from 2010 PS2

Not that the 360 or PS2 contribute anything anyway, but really, the 3DS was the only real success story on the hardware front this year.

[N64] Custom Robo (Nintendo) - 35,579 / 221,921
[N64] Custom Robo V2 (Nintendo) - 62,558 / 264,164
[GCN] Custom Robo: Battle Revolution (Nintendo) - 73,381 / 144,049
[GBA] Custom Robo GX (Nintendo) - 37,449 / 148,897
[NDS] Custom Robo: Arena (Nintendo) - 39,176 / 109,279

Seems pretty obvious why they forgot about it then. :/

mclem

If 3DS had struggled after Mario and Kart were released, then I would agree that things looked bad, but now it's not really a great comeback story, but rather an obvious message to Nintendo: people buy Nintendo handhelds when it has those certain Nintendo titles (and is not batshit expensive).
If I was Nintendo, I'd be looking into putting all my resources into trying to get Mario Kart U to be a launch title.

Takao

Banned
So your theory is that.. if Nintendo does poorly, they'll seek out one of their niche properties.. to help them out?

I think they'd be more receptive to trying out new IPs if they're struggling. Compare their output of new properties on GC, and N64 and compare that to their output on DS, and Wii. I don't think Custom Robo would've received more than a single game under current Nintendo.

Wait Sony still hasn't bought them out? Why?

SCEJ is useless.

Michan

If I was Nintendo, I'd be looking into putting all my resources into trying to get Mario Kart U to be a launch title.

This will not happen for several reasons. Mario Kart Wii U will arrive in late 2013 at the very earliest – and that would still be the shortest amount of time between any two Karts. If anybody knows how to control franchise fatigue, it's Nintendo.

Alternative big releases like a new Wii ____ title, Smash Bros., and NSMB will all be due, though.

Boney

Banned
I think they'd be more receptive to trying out new IPs if they're struggling. Compare their output of new properties on GC, and N64 and compare that to their output on DS, and Wii. I don't think Custom Robo would've received more than a single game under current Nintendo.

bollocks

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Haha, there won't be a Custom Robo on Wii U. Noise is small enough as it is and couldn't handle the gamecube entry alone so another developer (who's name i conveniently can't remember) was called in to work on it as well.

If there's another one, it will be a 3ds game or an eShop title.

I think if Nintendo was in trouble, they would plaster "Mario" on every game they make trying to get some sales, while succesful Nintendo probably uses some pocket change to fund niche projects that will never get any marketing push and are quietly released alongside all the big hits.

So... I'm not sure your scenario would get you a new Custom Robo. :)

Datschge

The first 500k 3G units had (or should I say have) a free 100 hour data plan, but aside from that I don't think there is any bundling going on.
I'm aware of that data plan. I guess we will get more varied offers only once those 500k 3G units are actually sold...
I expect "cheap" subsidized 3G Vita units bundled with phone contract to be more popular than the WiFi-only units in the West. It's the main way iPhone sells this well.

Alrus

so nintendo has always been in trouble?

Thinking about it, I don't think any other company has managed to make Mascot Spin-offs sell so well. I still have a hard time believing Mario Sports Mix sold over 500k in Japan >.>

This will not happen for several reasons. Mario Kart Wii U will arrive in late 2013 at the very earliest – and that would still be the shortest amount of time between any two Karts. If anybody knows how to control franchise fatigue, it's Nintendo.

Alternative big releases like a new Wii ____ title, Smash Bros., and NSMB will all be due, though.

Yeah releasing Mario Kart U at launch would be wayyy too early. MK7 just came out...

Smash will never make it in time unless it's a very rushed product, and knowing Sakurai, it won't be. (Considering he won't be working on it before Kid Icarus is finished, I don't even think Smash is going to be out for 2013).

Best best is a Mario game, either a 3D one (might be a bit too early, then again EAD Tokyo has two teams now) or a 2D one (I seriously hope that NSMB Mii won't be it, I think the idea is stupid...).

As for a Wii___ game, to be honest, I don't know what they'd make. Maybe another Wii Sports but that would be a bit redundant and I'm not sure it'll sell that well.

Erethian

I'm aware of that data plan. I guess we will get more varied offers only once those 500k 3G units are actually sold...
I expect "cheap" subsidized 3G Vita units bundled with phone contract to be more popular than the WiFi-only units in the West. It's the main way iPhone sells this well.

The problem with this is that the Vita isn't a phone, so there doesn't seem any incentive on the part of 3G providers to go with a subsidised option.

Takao

Banned
I think if Nintendo was in trouble, they would plaster "Mario" on every game they make trying to get some sales, while succesful Nintendo probably uses some pocket change to fund niche projects that will never get any marketing push and are quietly released alongside all the big hits.

So... I'm not sure your scenario would get you a new Custom Robo. :)

While it is true that Mario got put into a lot of games in the GCN era, they also launched things like Pikmin, Chibi Robo, Animal Crossing, Custom Robo, Fire Emblem (in the west for the last 3) and gave them all pretty decent pushes. As you said, if those games were made during current Nintendo they would all just be pushed out and forgotten.

Top Bottom