• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

Michan

I think if Nintendo was in trouble, they would plaster "Mario" on every game they make trying to get some sales

This is exactly what happened with the late 64/GameCube generations. At one point it felt like a new Mario-licensed game was releasing every month. Thankfully, that dried up a bit once the Wii became the must-have living room accessory.

Takao

Banned
ds was one of the worst piece of shit i've ever played

It is a vile piece of trash. I blame that for killing the series. Medarot DS outsold that.

This is exactly what happened with the late 64/GameCube generations. At one point it felt like a new Mario-licensed game was releasing every month. Thankfully, that dried up a bit once the Wii became the must-have living room accessory.

Mario still appeared in way too many games on the Wii for my liking.

Datschge

The problem with this is that the Vita isn't a phone, so there doesn't seem any incentive on the part of 3G providers to go with a subsidised option.
If they can make the customers pay monthly contract fees the providers won't worry about Vita being a phone or not.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
ds was one of the worst piece of shit i've ever played
The V games on N64 were just the same.

The Gamecube one had the circumstance of not being made by the regular dudes normally involved in the series. So if they make another one, expect the same trends in the DS game.

matmanx1

I wonder how well the Vita would survive in Japan being the portable PS3? What if PS3/PSV versions releasing at the same time becomes the norm in the next year or so what that make any difference to the desirability of the Vita?

Let's say you get the next mainline Persona game, the next mainline Tales of game and maybe one or two other fairly high profile PS3 releases as day and date Vita releases would it make a difference to the very handheld centric Japanese market?

Obviously the Vita needs exclusives to survive but do you think there's a market in Japan for an "HD level" experience on a portable machine or is that user a mythical creature who does not exist?

If I was Nintendo, I'd be looking into putting all my resources into trying to get Mario Kart U to be a launch title.
If they were so rushed and shorthanded on what is essentially their third GCN-level Mario Kart, no the hell way do they have an HD one ready in less than a year--though I doubt they'd even want to release the next so quickly even if they could.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
If they were so rushed and shorthanded on what is essentially their third GCN-level Mario Kart, no the hell way do they have an HD one ready in less than a year--though I doubt they'd even want to release the next so quickly even if they could.

New Super Mario Bros. HD is a bigger seller anyway. Couple that with whatever else they can have ready, there really is no need for Mario Kart at launch.

Takao

Banned
In the first year, perhaps. But a couple of times a year with every other title being utterly brilliant is fine with me.

These are all the Wii games Mario has been in:

Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Games
Mario & Sonic At The Olympic Winter Games
Mario & Sonic At The London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Then you have re-releases:
Mario Power Tennis
Super Mario All-Stars

Jeeze man.

Michan

Smash will never make it in time unless it's a very rushed product, and knowing Sakurai, it won't be. (Considering he won't be working on it before Kid Icarus is finished, I don't even think Smash is going to be out for 2013).
It's all PR fluff. Nintendo wouldn't announce the next Smash if it wasn't already in development. Sakurai has probably been working on it alongside Kid Icarus since Brawl released (although perhaps not full-time). If it isn't ready for launch, it'll be there not long after.

Best best is a Mario game, either a 3D one (might be a bit too early, then again EAD Tokyo has two teams now) or a 2D one (I seriously hope that NSMB Mii won't be it, I think the idea is stupid...).
Yeah, I have a feeling Nintendo will give 3d Mario a little rest for a while, but holiday 2012 will be exactly right for the next NSMB (a 3 year gap). NSMB Mii was just upscaled NSMB Wii; it was never a real game. Hopefully the next NSMB will, like NSMB Wii, build extensively upon the solid formula.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
deadvita.jpg

I already made this joke!! But thank you SO MUCH for bringing it to life. No pun intended.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii U is really going to be fascinating, purely from a 1st party perspective. Aside from Pikmin and a probable "Wii U __" compilation, I have no idea what to expect.

Datschge

Can't see the customers wanting to pay a monthly fee for a vita when they've already got a phone bill to pay
Well, personally I can't either but for many people here it's usual to have 12 or 24 months contracts and then get the latest gadget for an extension, repeat. There is like a whole industry advertising bundles of gadgets for zero pay, adding the monthly fees of the contract in the fine print. I just don't know if such a practice is common in Japan at all. It's the only tangent Sony's inclusion of 3G in Vita makes some sense to me...

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Power Tennis
Super Mario All-Stars

Jeeze man.
Apart from the the M&S games and Mario Sports Mix, I think the list is fairly decent and short actually. Mario almost always guarantees quality (and variety in gameplay).

And imagine if the M&S games were actually good..., like platformer games or something. Then I wouldn't have had a problem with those games either.

Then again, it would be nice if Nintendo didn't immediately think of Mario when making a new game. Imagine Nintendo making a Tennis game with non-Mushroom Kingdom characters, but great ones non the less. If done right, it would only be good for Nintendo that they have more recognizable characters.

Boney

Banned
The V games on N64 were just the same.

The Gamecube one had the circumstance of not being made by the regular dudes normally involved in the series. So if they make another one, expect the same trends in the DS game.
Well then fuck them for wasting my time.

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Power Tennis
Super Mario All-Stars

Jeeze man.

you forgot itadaki street

Well, personally I can't either but for many people here it's usual to have 12 or 24 months contracts and then get the latest gadget for an extension, repeat. There is like a whole industry advertising bundles of gadgets for zero pay, adding the monthly fees of the contract in the fine print. I just don't know if such a practice is common in Japan at all. It's the only tangent Sony's inclusion of 3G in Vita makes some sense to me...

Perhaps it does though in my country its only phones people would do that with

Michan

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario

Just shy of half of these were released in Wii's first year. This leaves us with an average of 1.4 new Mario Wii games per year since Nintendo turned things around, which, all things considered, is a very nice amount.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm glad to say "I see what you did there"!

not trying to pat myself on the back for what is a truly terrible photoshop, but the inclusion of Mr Bored of Not Selling Anything from Yodobashi makes this work on so so many levels.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I thought Noise developed all the Custom Robos?

they co-developed Battle Revolution. Again, i don't remember the name of the studio that did a lot of the design and production work on the game, but iirc, it was a studio made up of a couple of former sega staff.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
they co-developed Battle Revolution. Again, i don't remember the name of the studio that did a lot of the design and production work on the game, but iirc, it was a studio made up of a couple of former sega staff.

Studio Fake. They have done a lot of contract work for Nintendo. They also cooperated on Odama.

Anth0ny

It's all PR fluff. Nintendo wouldn't announce the next Smash if it wasn't already in development. Sakurai has probably been working on it alongside Kid Icarus since Brawl released (although perhaps not full-time). If it isn't ready for launch, it'll be there not long after.

Yeah, I have a feeling Nintendo will give 3d Mario a little rest for a while, but holiday 2012 will be exactly right for the next NSMB (a 3 year gap). NSMB Mii was just upscaled NSMB Wii; it was never a real game. Hopefully the next NSMB will, like NSMB Wii, build extensively upon the solid formula.

>implying Smash 4 will be out before 2014 at the earliest
>implying NSMB Wii won't be a launch title

Come on son.

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Power Tennis
Super Mario All-Stars

Jeeze man.
These are all the NES games Mario has been in.

All-Night Nippon Super Mario Bros. (FDS)
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Dr. Mario
Famicom Grand Prix: F-1 Race
Famicom Grand Prix II: 3D Hot Rally
Golf
Mario Bros.
Mario is Missing
Mario's Time Machine
NES Open Tournament Golf
Pinball
Punch-Out!!
Return of Mario Bros. (FDS)
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 2 (FDS)
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tennis
Tetris
Wrecking Crew
Yoshi
Yoshi's Cookie

AntMurda

Well they started hiring last summer no? The first task was to have a programming team port over Brawl to the Wii U, and then go from there. I'm sure this is where they are in production.

It was not just an upscaled NSMB Wii. Those were four new levels. That is definitely a Wii U project. Obviously it will look better by the time we next see it, but I would expect NSMB and the Wii Sports / Wii Play to keep the same motif we previously witnessed. They are not going to feature mindblowing graphics. That will be reserved for other titles like Pikmin, Galaxy, Zelda, etc.

I feel Vita's more on the side of the PlayStation rather than the PSP and PS3.

Except the part where there's nothing in place to make Vita a specifically more desirable platform for development.

Somewhere someone opened a check book.

That's a complete misunderstanding of the generation. All of PSX's biggest advantages are the result not of expenditure but rather of careful shifts of the market. The systems most like PSX in gaming history are the NES, Wii, and NDS.

I think they should give even more incentives to 3rd party new IPs and innovative concepts, they also need to mirror this effort internally with SCEWWS, have all the studios work on a original game for the Vita.

I definitely agree. I was asserting all of this stuff a year ago. At the time I was having to push back against a lot of "oh, there's nothing b-tier about Vita's software, there's no concern about their 3rd party support, etc." stuff but I think at this point it's clear those are real areas of concern regarding Vita's software future.

- Combining their portable and console into one gaming tablet + docking station system, calling it the Playstation 4.

I think all the hardware manufacturers desperately want to move in this direction for a variety of reasons, but I just don't think the technology is there yet.

Leaving the portable hardware market and advancing PlayStation as a software development and delivery platform for a variety of different mobile OSes

Sony really doesn't have the software engineering muscle to make this happen.

Michan

>implying Smash 4 will be out before 2014 at the earliest
>implying NSMB Wii won't be a launch title

Come on son.

Firstly, I went out of my way to list NSMB Wii U as a potential launch title. So I guess you just misread that. No harm done.

Secondly, don't believe Sakurai's Smash rumour crushers.

Well they started hiring last summer no? The first task was to have a programming team port over Brawl to the Wii U, and then go from there. I'm sure this is where they are in production.
I agree with you, and am arguing just that. There is no way Kid Icarus will prevent Smash from launching as soon as it possibly can.

It was not just an upscaled NSMB Wii. Those were four new levels. That is definitely a Wii U project. Obviously it will look better by the time we next see it, but I would expect NSMB and the Wii Sports / Wii Play to keep the same motif we previously witnessed. They are not going to feature mindblowing graphics. That will be reserved for other titles like Pikmin, Galaxy, Zelda, etc.
It was an upscaled NSMB Wii in that it brought absolutely nothing new to the table (levels, Mii integration, and other minor tweaks aside). But that was expected, since Nintendo themselves stated quite clearly that it was nothing more than a tech demo (the laziest of them all), and not representative of any title in development. The main reason they had it there was to attract media attention and show NSMB (as well as other popular Wii games) in the announcement video.

It's likely, however, that:
1. NSMB will be a launch title;
2. They'll tweak and re-use the NSMB Wii engine.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Power Tennis
Super Mario All-Stars

Jeeze man.

Mario & Sonic are more Sega's thing.

Strikers was apparently pretty good.

Mario Party... it's weird we got one at the start and one at the end.

Can't speak for Super Sluggers or Sports Mix. Those are definitely GC-esque.

The rest are all great or fantastic.

Anth0ny

Firstly, I went out of my way to list NSMB Wii U as a potential launch title. So I guess you just misread that. No harm done.

Secondly, don't believe Sakurai's Smash rumour crushers.

I think NSMB Mii, as we saw it at E3 this year, will be a launch game for Wii U. Upscaled NSMB Wii assets and all. They said Ocarina of Time 3D was a tech demo too.

As for Smash... the gap between Melee and Brawl was 7 years. Now, if Sakurai is working on both a 3DS version and a Wii U version (to communicate in some way, apparently), there is no chance in hell it'll be out before 2014.

I hope it is. But it won't be.

Takao

Banned
Except the part where there's nothing in place to make Vita a specifically more desirable platform for development.

If you have HD assets it's considerably more desirable to recycle them and make a Vita game than start from stratch (or dig up years old assets) on a 3DS title. The problem is that very few developers in Japan have HD assets lying around.

That's a complete misunderstanding of the generation. All of PSX's biggest advantages are the result not of expenditure but rather of careful shifts of the market. The systems most like PSX in gaming history are the NES, Wii, and NDS.

Well I think it was two fold. PS1 needed the software, and it got the software by being a smart platform, but to help the software even more there was some money thrown in.

Truth101

Banned
If you have HD assets it's considerably more desirable to recycle them and make a Vita game than start from stratch (or dig up years old assets) on a 3DS title. The problem is that very few developers in Japan have HD assets lying around.

Well I think it was two fold. PS1 needed the software, and it got the software by being a smart platform, but to help the software even more there was some money thrown in.

The 3DS is capable of recycling HD assets also, so it isn't a bonus for the Vita. Actually it is a positive but its a positive for both.

jman2050

If you have HD assets it's considerably more desirable to recycle them and make a Vita game than start from stratch (or dig up years old assets) on a 3DS title. The problem is that very few developers in Japan have HD assets lying around

I dunno, some devs have shown no qualms with simply downscaling HD assets for use on the 3DS. I mean, simply having a bunch of HD assets laying around doesn't suddenly make Vita development cheap.

Takao

Banned
The 3DS is capable of recycling HD assets also, so it isn't a bonus for the Vita. Actually it is a positive but its a positive for both.

Other than Capcom have we seen anyone do that? UE doesn't run on 3DS, but it does on Vita so I think that's more a Framework thing.

Takao

Banned
If Capcom has an engine capable of scaling HD assets for use on the 3DS why would other developers not be able to do it?

Not every engine is Framework. KojiPro's Fox Engine doesn't support 3DS either, but it supports Vita, and given KojiPro is doing [the awful] MGS3D port I imagine they wouldn't be against FE running on 3DS.

When did this become about HD engines? You specifically mentioned HD assets.

Because Capcom's the only one I know who has claimed to take their HD console assets and make a 3DS game with that. I'm thinking that's a Framework thing and an exception rather than the rule.

Truth101

Banned
Not every engine is Framework. KojiPro's Fox Engine doesn't support 3DS either, but it supports Vita, and given KojiPro is doing [the awful] MGS3D port I imagine they wouldn't be against FE running on 3DS.

Because Capcom's the only one I know who has claimed to take their HD console assets and make a 3DS game with that. I'm thinking that's a Framework thing and an exception rather than the rule.

It's not about what the engines do support it, it is about what is technically possible on the 3DS hardware.

Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party 8
Mario Party 9
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Strikers Charged
Mario Super Sluggers
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mario Power Tennis
Super Mario All-Stars

Jeeze man.

I don't really have a problem with this. Most of those games are really good.

And those games made up some of the best games from those respective generations. I don't like when franchises spawn a bunch of crappy spin offs. However if they're high quality i can't say i really care.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
charlequin said:
I think all the hardware manufacturers desperately want to move in this direction for a variety of reasons, but I just don't think the technology is there yet.
I heard some faint things about MS future hw that may be an indication of them going there. But I'm not entirely sure if such a thing would mean dock is supposed to give you "more power" nor how would software side ever deal with that without incurring massive overhead on development that noone wants to deal with.

Top Bottom