• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 51, 2011 (Dec 19 - Dec 25)

donny2112

RE:Revelations will depend upon multiple things.

1) How much of an audience is there for classic-style RE gameplay? RE0 (the most recent new classic-style release) sold 400K on GameCube. However that was hurt by not being on the traditional RE platform at the time (PS) and helped by interest in the upcoming RE4 for GCN.
2) How much of the RE fanbase is on 3DS now? It started as a PS franchise, and seems to still have stronger results there. However 3DS with MH3G and other games such as RE:Revelations is actually starting to pull over some of the PS-type fans that maybe haven't been on a Nintendo system a whole lot before.
3) How will 3DS overall performance help/hurt it? Since 3DS is doing quite well as a platform, the answer to that question should be only positive.

Anyone predicting < 100K first week is predicting RE5 360 level performance. REmake and RE0 sold 120K and 190K first week, respectively, on GCN. RE5 did 320K on PS3 first week. Therefore, probably 200-250K seems a reasonable first week for RE:Revelations. (End of January is not a slow time of the year, for reference.) LTD of 400K doesn't seem unreasonable, and even 500K doesn't seem out of the question. *shrugs* It should do well.

RE:Revelations will depend upon multiple things.

1) How much of an audience is there for classic-style RE gameplay? RE0 (the most recent new classic-style release) sold 400K on GameCube. However that was hurt by not being on the traditional RE platform at the time (PS) and helped by interest in the upcoming RE4 for GCN.
2) How much of the RE fanbase is on 3DS now? It started as a PS franchise, and seems to still have stronger results there. However 3DS with MH3G and other games such as RE:Revelations is actually starting to pull over some of the PS-type fans that maybe haven't been on a Nintendo system a whole lot before.
3) How will 3DS overall performance help/hurt it? Since 3DS is doing quite well as a platform, the answer to that question should be only positive.

Anyone predicting < 100K first week is predicting RE5 360 level performance. REmake and RE0 sold 120K and 190K first week, respectively, on GCN. RE5 did 320K on PS3 first week. Therefore, probably 200-250K seems a reasonable first week for RE:Revelations. (End of January is not a slow time of the year, for reference.) LTD of 400K doesn't seem unreasonable, and even 500K doesn't seem out of the question. *shrugs* It should do well.

The core gameplay is RE4/RE5 style gameplay though. The rest of the game elements are based on classic RE, so there's nothing to really compare it with in that respect.

Also, there's the factor of RER pushing new hardware sales, so sales aren't just limited to the current 3DS userbase.

400-500k is what I'm betting on.

What Takao said. It seems like the safest estimate, imo. We still don't really have any evidence that it's having a good holiday season in the west.

As for 3ds success in the west Well I thought we knew the 3ds sold 80k in one week at the beginning of December in the uk, which is pretty damn good

BurntPork

Banned
As for 3ds success in the west Well I thought we knew the 3ds sold 80k in one week at the beginning of December in the uk, which is pretty damn good

At the same time, the November NPD was 795k. That's enough to say that it's healthy and it's very good for a first November, but that doesn't change the fact that all three consoles outsold it handily.

BurntPork

Banned
Don't you think MK7 and Mario Land 3D being in top 10 in Pal charts for three weeks running in several different countries is something slightly more than just a sign?

Maybe, but I don't know if it's enough to make conclusions about hardware. Also, they're under-performing in the UK, imo. We have one week that suggests the hardware is doing well, but one week isn't saying much.

Maybe, but I don't know if it's enough to make conclusions about hardware. Also, they're under-performing in the UK, imo. We have one week that suggests the hardware is doing well, but one week isn't saying much.

So what indicators are you looking at for to arrive at your opinion of underperformince then?

Also, they're under-performing in the UK, imo.

Right, but Europe is not only UK, this is something someone on GAF apparently fails to acknowledge(not only you, I'm talking in general, just to be clear).

Have a look at German, Italian, French, Netherlands and Norwegian charts, Mario kart 7 and Mario land 3D have been doing well for three weeks in a row, so we can quite confidently assume that these two games in December in Europe have performed quite well overall, since Germany, Italy and France alone have perhaps around 200 million inhabitants.

So, if 3DS software is that high on charts, we can infere of course some hardware is being sold as well, that's a given.
We have one week that suggests the hardware is doing well, but one week isn't saying much.

See above.

I think donny is right, like normal. 200k FW, 400k LTD, and maybe around 1.5-2.0mil WW for the game, it will sell well in the west once it hits a lower price as well. Revelations should do fine compared to Capcom's expectations.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The fact however is that there are some numbers for the UK charts (extrapolated and possibly not correct, but they shouldn't be so far from the truth )...and so far 3D Land and MK7 basically should have sold the exact same amount of copies for many weeks in a row.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
It's just a guesstimate since we don't have concrete numbers some users are using to laugh at the Forbes guy who thinks after a few years 3DS should be at least at 20 million units sold.

Very bad guess and since BurntBork believes it you know how wrong it is.

I have full picture for my country and the trend in December is similar to Japan. Usually what happens here is a micrography of rest Europe.

Mpl90

I have full picture for my country and the trend in December is similar to Japan. Usually what happens here is a micrography of rest Europe.

...And your country is...

BurntPork

Banned
I wish we could get numbers like Media Create for every region. We basically have to wait for quarterly reports to learn anything, and even then we get shipped numbers. >.>;

So Chris, how much do you think it has sold?

What do you mean by micrography? Definitions I'm finding don't really make sense in the context of your post.

In terms of the US, Rentrak has 3 3DS games in the top 10 for each of the first 3 weeks of December(no list for last week yet)

What do you mean by micrography? Definitions I'm finding don't really make sense in the context of your post.

In terms of the US, Rentrak has 3 3DS games in the top 10 for each of the first 3 weeks of December(no list for last week yet)

Microcosm, maybe?

Does anyone know where Chris is from?

Well, I presume Chris does...

EDIT: Oh, shit, that Rentrak.

OoT 3D outselling Skyward Sword, hahaha.

I think by micrography he's meaning something more like microcosm - seeing a sales pattern in his country that is typical of the rest of the Europe.

Does anyone know where Chris is from?

Well, I presume Chris does...

Greece springs to mind, but I'm not sure.

Mpl90

You know, right now I'd really like to see retailers talking not about how much 3DS is selling right now, etc.etc. ...but about how much the next games are anticipated. This is my real interest now.

Kenka

You know, right now I'd really like to see retailers talking not about how much 3DS is selling right now, etc.etc. ...but about how much the next games are anticipated. This is my real interest now.
Now has finally come the time again to harass Chris. I wonder what the retailers will say about the current situation. I stay tuned.

Mm. I seem to remember retailers in the UK grumbling after they went hot & heavy for the launch, and being a lot more cautious with stocking subsequent titles. Would be interesting to see if the price cut, stronger sales and big titles have gone some way to restoring confidence in the system with them.

Mpl90

Now has finally come the time again to harass Chris. I wonder what the retailers will say about the current situation. I stay tuned.

Retailers aren't absolutely talking about that. We need someone to talk with some of them, at least to see how much hype there could be in a certain zone.
Yes, we need Vinnk.

The only indicator about hype, so far, if we really want to use it, is Comgnet.
And I don't know how to valutate RE: Revelations datas, since RE5 was 7 times bigger on Comgnet, but it ended doing something like 660pt, and then selling 320k, a sign of how PS3 at the time was basically only considered by "hardcore" fans.

Moreover, RE5 came out on PS3 in 2009, well out the first year of the console, so when there was already not a big userbase ( 3DS is already 1 million bigger XD ), but a "consolidated" fan userbase which would have preordered a lot the game.

And in the mean while, RE: Umbrella Chronicles ended with 70pt, and it did 100k in its first week, on Wii, in its first year.

Seeing also what happened with Gundam, which ended with 58pt, but then it did almost 100k, so much more thousands than pt (absolutely not normal for a Gundam game ), and considering that the factor that surely influenced such a big growth from the expected debut, the awesome hardware sales...which will still be there in time for Revelations' release (not 500k, eh...but 100k should be doable with this rhythm )... I don't know what to think.

Donnie said:
3DS has sold over 4 million in its first 40 weeks. DS sold just over 3 million in its first 40 weeks. How can he be disappointed with its sales?
Now is a particularly weird time to talk poorly about sales. Sure, it could be at 5+ million now if it didn't have such an extended slow period,
mc

but that seems to be something they've already taken care of.
Kenka said:
Seriously ? The thing has probably sold 10 millions worldwide so far. How come did they expect to be probably past the 20M bar by March ?
They thought it would start up acting like DS did several years ago, rather than needing a jumpstart several months in.

apujanata

Now is a particularly weird time to talk poorly about sales. Sure, it could be at 5+ million now if it didn't have such an extended slow period,
but that seems to be something they've already taken care of.

They thought it would start up acting like DS did several years ago, rather than needing a jumpstart several months in.

I am not convinced yet that 3DS (and its cousins) can go above DS(+DSL+DSi+DSiXL) in Japan. I don't have any problem with it achievement >DS #, but I am still in doubt.

For whatever reason, I am not as interested in 3DS compared to my excitement for DS (probably because there is no significant addition going from DS to 3DS, compared to GBA to DS)

And the other reason is because 3DS have significant price drop, and this can be the major cause of the very big sales # in the last few weeks.

Mpl90

apujnata, the price drop happened in August. And it helped a lot back then. But what helped much more, especially in this last period, have been the games. They've come, and now we're seeing this happening.

However, while Revelations, after all, is not tracking that bad, especially after I saw some of the recent RE games ( Gold Edition, Mercenaries, Revival Selection ), there's one game which is tracking bad, unfortunately

[PSV] Tales of Innocende R - 27pt
[NDS] Tales of Innocence - 86pt
[3DS] Tales of the Abyss - 73pt

apujanata

apujnata, the price drop happened in August. And it helped a lot back then. But what helped much more, especially in this last period, have been the games. They've come, and now we're seeing this happening.

However, while Revelations, after all, is not tracking that bad, especially after I saw some of the recent RE games ( Gold Edition, Mercenaries, Revival Selection ), there's one game which is tracking bad, unfortunately

I know the price drop happened in August. In fact, I thank God that I haven't purchased 3DS before the price drop (like I did with DS, buying it within 3 months of launch).

I am going to purchase 3DS in the near future. Just hope it get Fire Emblem game ASAP.

DR2K

Banned

Shitty DS game not trending well on Vita? You don't say.

cvxfreak

However, while Revelations, after all, is not tracking that bad, especially after I saw some of the recent RE games ( Gold Edition, Mercenaries, Revival Selection ),

Details?

I thought Mercenaries 3D and Revival Selection both did well for what they were. Revival Selection even outsold the MGS HD releases in spite of Capcom putting in 10% of the effort Konami did.

That seems kind of dramatic.

The idea of not just constant growth, but constantly accelerating growth, as the definition of success is basically insane.

I'd say the sweetheart western publishing deal (plus huge budget FFVII ad campaign) they handed Square qualifies as a money hat in the modern sense.

Except this arrangement significantly post-dates the choice to develop FFVII on Sony's platform. The Western marketing was intended to make the game (and the platform) blow up, not to keep an exclusive on board.

Wow, French got banned? I figured that would never happen as he seemed immune.

what on earth would give you that idea

Erethian

I thought RE:R was a harkening back to the "never having enough bullets, always running for your life" type gameplay designed to make you scared from the pre-RE4 games?

More in terms of atmosphere, level design, and enemy placement/numbers. The way your character controls is the same as RE4 and onwards, though.

Top Bottom