• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create: Sept 18-25

fresquito

jesusraz said:
No official word, just David Yarnton saying there'd be 'cooking games' on the Wii, hinting at not only Cooking Mama Wii, but Iron Chef as well. The DS game is an inevitability...unless 42 All-Time Classics, Actionloop and English Training all tank terribly here.

I'm just gutted Europe doesn't get FFIII until Spring 2007. The shaft indeed...
Thank you :)

cvxfreak

Deku said:
Ah thanks cvx. So What are the chances of the NDS hitting 30 million WW by year end?

Pretty likely. I'd say 75% likely because they're going to sell like 5 Million worldwide between November and December, unless there are shortages. :)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Deku said:
Ah. So What are the chances of the NDS hitting 30 million WW by year end?
If Nintendo can produce enough, 30 millions is not a problem at all

AniHawk

Deku said:
Ah thanks cvx. So What are the chances of the NDS hitting 30 million WW by year end?

What are they at now?

6m NA, 6m EU, 12m JP? That would be about 2m per region from now until the end of the year. Pretty high chances on that.

Pretty good for a stop gap solution

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
What are they at now?

6m NA, 6m EU, 12m JP? That would be about 2m per region from now until the end of the year. Pretty high chances on that.

Pretty good for a stop gap solution

AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.

what

I don't think anyone saw this from the last page:
Square2005 said:
I see there's been some talk of falling Zelda sells in Japan, so I made this for yall:
The main series sales Japan vs. NA:
zeldasalesgraphil8.png

I think graphs always put things in better perspective...

Yamauchi

Banned
He's lying. I'm just wondering how many DSes they managed to ship last week.

Also, how many Wiis will Nintendo have for Japan's launch?

handheld Zeldas never sold well in Japan. Citing Minsih Cap as an example of Zelda dying is a lousy choice.

Wind Waker actually increased over Majora's Mask. Beat it senseless in the US and Japan in sales.

AniHawk

LanceStern said:
handheld Zeldas never sold well in Japan. Citing Minsih Cap as an example of Zelda dying is a lousy choice.

Wind Waker actually increased over Majora's Mask. Beat it senseless in the US and Japan in sales.

TWW certainly was an improvement over MM, but MM only had a year to sell, and was restricted by the 4MB expansion pack.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
TWW certainly was an improvement over MM, but MM only had a year to sell, and was restricted by the 4MB expansion pack.

Doesn't MM win out with the Collector's Edition taken into consideration?

All that really matters in the end is that Wind Waker sold more. 1 year was more than long enough >_> especially with a bigger fanbase.

cvxfreak

LanceStern said:
All that really matters in the end is that Wind Waker sold more. 1 year was more than long enough >_> especially with a bigger fanbase.

Well that's what I was trying to figure out. :p

I guess the point's moot since TP will demolish them both.

Deku

Banned
LanceStern said:

But MM didn't have the same kind of pent up anticipation as a flagship Zelda game as OOT had or WW had and WW had to fight backlash for its graphic style. It probably would have sold more had it used the original Link designs. MM was seen as spin off game based on the OOT engine anyways.

It's safe to say that OOT was the highpoint for Zelda sales world wide, but frankly Zelda will sell if its a big enough and highly anticipated enough game. I think TP will do it. As a launch game, it has at least the next 5 years to sell as a pack-in, player's choice etc. Its going to pull in huge numbers even if Wii bombs, relatively speaking.

A lot of the sales analysis fails to take into context the game's release schedule in a console's lifespan. And the theories are even more off base.

Deku said:
But MM didn't have the same kind of pent up anticipation as a flagship Zelda game as OOT ahd or WW had. It was seem as a kind of spin off game based on the OOT engine.

It's safe to say that OOT was the highpoint for Zelda sales world wide, but frankly Zelda will sell if its a big enough and highly anticipated enough game. I think TP will do it. As a launch game, it has at least the next 5 years to sell as a pack-in, player's choice etc. Its going to pull in huge numbers even if Wii bombs, relatively speaking.

A lot of the sales analysis fails to take into context the game's release schedule in a console's lifespan. And the theories are even more off base.

It's taken into account all the time. It still came hot off the heels of the biggest Zelda release ever, so it SHOULD HAVE in theory sold more (a la Halo and Halo 2 or GTAVC).

But alas, I say the Zelda series is just a LITTLE BIT less strong as it's ever been barring OOT's release. But still strong nontheless.

linsivvi

ethelred said:
That'd be a pretty dramatic turnaround... why are we expecting the sequel to sell double what the original sold? That's fairly uncommon.

Well the install base of DS in Japan must have at least tripled since then. And the sequel includes a few major manga from the 80s and 90s to attract the older crowd. :D

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
LanceStern said:
It's taken into account all the time. It still came hot off the heels of the biggest Zelda release ever, so it SHOULD HAVE in theory sold more (a la Halo and Halo 2 or GTAVC).

But alas, I say the Zelda series is just a LITTLE BIT less strong as it's ever been barring OOT's release. But still strong nontheless.

I disagree with comparing it to halo and halo 2. Even though I loved the game, MM never felt like a sequel. It just felt like an expansion pack.

The backlash Nintendo got for WW will be the best thing that ever happened to TP. They needed an army of men with mops at E3 05 after showing TP. It's the grown up link people have been waiting for since the OOT.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Majoras Mask does not play like an expansion pack at all, but it came too late in the system's life and had much less buff going for it. Halo 2 was mire successful, because the series was new and Halo 2 was released, when Xbox was the strongest.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I disagree with comparing it to halo and halo 2. Even though I loved the game, MM never felt like a sequel. It just felt like an expansion pack.

What ? Majora's Mask is a full game like any other in the series.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Yoshi said:
Majoras Mask does not play like an expansion pack at all, but it came too late in the system's life and had much less buff going for it. Halo 2 was mire successful, because the series was new and Halo 2 was released, when Xbox was the strongest.

It used the same engine and character models. Actually I think every character from OOT was in MM. The only thing significantly different was the plot. No matter how you spin it, it was just OOT rearanged. Halo 2 was a bigger step forward, at least from the hardware standpoint.

donny2112

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Even though I loved the game, MM never felt like a sequel. It just felt like an expansion pack.

It was always a side-story. Zelda: Majora's Mask = Zelda Gaiden. Gaiden = Side-story. It was only a sequel in the sense that it followed OoT. The Wind Waker was much more of a sequel to OoT for obvious reasons.

GreenGlowingGoo said:
The backlash Nintendo got for WW will be the best thing that ever happened to TP. They needed an army of men with mops at E3 04 after showing TP. It's the grown up link people have been waiting for since the OOT.

Fixed. Yes, it's been that long since they first showed it.

Jiggy

jesusraz said:
No official word, just David Yarnton saying there'd be 'cooking games' on the Wii, hinting at not only Cooking Mama Wii, but Iron Chef as well. The DS game is an inevitability...unless 42 All-Time Classics, Actionloop and English Training all tank terribly here.
Wait, we're actually getting English Training?

ethelred

slaughterking said:
Non-english countries only.

I know some native speakers that could use it just as much...

Pureauthor said:
Finally, finally I've figured out what Nintendo's 'Easter' means!

Rereading old threads are cool.

We can all thank Amir0x for that one. :lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
GreenGlowingGoo said:
It used the same engine and character models. Actually I think every character from OOT was in MM. The only thing significantly different was the plot. No matter how you spin it, it was just OOT rearanged. Halo 2 was a bigger step forward, at least from the hardware standpoint.
It was quite different gameplay wise. Remember some clock in there?

jesusraz

Jiggy37 said:
Wait, we're actually getting English Training?

What slaughterking says is technically correct, but there were actually two Press Releases sent out, one of which did in fact confirm the game as coming to England for £19.99. Kind of confuses matters somewhat, doesn't it? *rolls eyes*

Anyway, who reckons FFIII will actually receive a boost alongside Pokémon?

I certainly wouldn't mind a boost for FFIII. It's a darn shame SE underestimated sales.

Plus, if it helps bring more SE goodness to the DS (FFTDS, darn it!), I'm all for it.

Bo130

jesusraz said:
Anyway, who reckons FFIII will actually receive a boost alongside Pokémon?

It will. People have just been waiting for this release for the number of available DS Lites to raise, before they tried buying it, thus buying Final Fantasy III also. If we won't see a boost, it will certainly stretch the legs of it, and the only reason for that would be because of them both being 'long' RPGs.

Top Bottom