• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create: Sept 18-25

Amir0x

Banned
do you think people made up their preference, for, uh such a conversation as this? The question was 'which console camp would you consider yourself in', and at the time sonycowboy said nintendo and even gave a detailed reason why he felt that way in the thread.

sharkie

Amir0x said:
do you think people made up their preference, for, uh such a conversation as this? The question was 'which console camp would you consider yourself in', and at the time sonycowboy said nintendo and even gave a detailed reason why he felt that way in the thread.

Yeahhhh, not everyone was serious in that poll for gods sake Dcharlie said he had hardware bias towards friggin Gizmondo

Amir0x said:

Okay, I just skimmed the thread and I didn't see any reason from sonycowboy. Besides, his post history led me to believe otherwise. Others seem to share the same view.

And apparently, people were allowed to vote for multiple companies, which, IMO, skews the results quite a bit.

If I'm wrong, then I apologize.

And what's with Drinky? No red screenname, but he talks about banning people? Is he an alt of one of the admins or mods?

Amir0x

Banned
sharkie said:
Yeahhhh, not everyone was serious in that poll for gods sake Dcharlie said he had hardware bias towards friggin Gizmondo

Right, but he was added to the joke "other" category. It's not like a vote for Gizmondo means you love Nintendo, so it can't actually skew the results.

Pureauthor said:
And what's with Drinky? No red screenname, but he talks about banning people? Is he an alt of one of the admins or mods?

:lol

Azelover said:
Anyone who said back then that DS would clearly win wasn't being too reasonable, it just wasn't clear for anybody not even Nintendo that DS would be more successful than the PSP.
In May 2004 I predicted DS would win, based on lower price, simplicity of use and larger demographic appeal of possible new games... now I'm an happy stockholder :D

sharkie

Amir0x said:
Right, but he was added to the joke "other" category. It's not like a vote for Gizmondo means you love Nintendo, so it can't actually skew the results.

Not everyone takes it as seriously as you Amir, and I already said people were not taking it seriously (AKA DC) and who's to say numerous people were not taking that thread as a joke which surely would skew results.

Pureauthor said:
Oh, come on. Help the clueless newbie here.

Drinky was a pseudo character where mods admins and a few select individuals posted under to antoganise would be fanboys (mainly Nintendo ones).

sharkie

Yes but someone will probably come in here and go all pedantic on my ass and list every last detail of that ongoing saga and call me a GAF noob.

DS Lite still in immense demand in Japan (The green sign says "Goods are in state of cut" ie SOLD OUT)

ub_9274bf6002fec2375003208cecc94d32.jpg

I snapped this two days ago - nice engrish too.

enishi

winston_pr said:
DS Lite still in immense demand in Japan (The green sign says "Goods are in state of cut" ie SOLD OUT)

Nice Chirese either :p

sharkie said:
Yes but someone will probably come in here and go all pedantic on my ass and list every last detail of that ongoing saga and call me a GAF noob.

have they all given up on Drinky? Will he not make a glorious return?

donny2112

Amir0x said:

sonycowboy said:
I have no bias. I love all HW. But, truth be told, I think Nintendo is super cool.

He was joking. sonycowboy as is obvious to anyone who can read prefers Sony consoles. He usually tries to remain focused on numbers and generally unbiased, though.

I don't think he has ever/will ever buy a Nintendo console. I have seen nothing in his posts to indicate he has any interest in handheld gaming (PSP couldn't even sway him over) or the Wii. He is buying a PS3 at launch.

I know you realize all of this already, Amir0x, but it seems that others in this thread are less informed.

[/sonycowboy explanation]

apujanata

sharkie said:
Drinky was a pseudo character where mods admins and a few select individuals posted under to antoganise would be fanboys (mainly Nintendo ones).

Maybe Drinky will make a return to antagonize would be fanboys (mainly Sony ones) ?
Or perhaps the mods have made a new user, to antagonize Sony fanboys (in secret) ?

I am putting Sony instead of Microsoft, since nowadays, the trend seems like it is sony that is replacing Nintendo as the "step child".

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Masklinn said:
me want to delete this post, help

:lol

anyway... any second day sales numbers for the pokemans?

Edit: From the blog enishi posted it seems Pokemon is pretty much sold out and the dude doesn't know when the next shipment is coming in. He thinks the demand for the DS will be great through the new year. I babelfished it so if anyone wants to add anything feel free.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/neoplay/

cvxfreak

winston_pr said:

ub_9274bf6002fec2375003208cecc94d32.jpg

I think that's actually (or also?) saying one DSL per person due to great demand.

MrPonx

Poor Nintendo

they can't capitalize on the demand...

FFIII and Pokemon!! no enough carts no enough consoles.. this is bad...

what other big games are coming to Japan for the DS?

ethelred

MrPonx said:
Poor Nintendo

they can't capitalize on the demand...

FFIII and Pokemon!! no enough carts no enough consoles.. this is bad...

what other big games are coming to Japan for the DS?

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and Mega Man Star Force are both potential million sellers -- I think the former will likely reach that, the latter has a good chance with there being three versions.

Zelda will be out in the new year, and while that won't be a million seller, it'll still be a very big seller.

AniHawk

Well I just don't know how one really good week for the DS compared to an okay week for the PSP translates into HAHAHAHA PSP AM ****ED.

Oogami has a point too, the PSP is a lot more popular in the US (at least from what I've seen). Nintendo might have a better time selling the DS if it were $100 like their other Game B- er... handhelds.

Yeah, with the system selling better than either one of the two Nintendo handhelds worldwide without a European launch, UMD sales taking off, and a pretty good tie ratio for a new system, they're on a quickly sinking ship. That's for sure

Europe is SonyLand. Besides NoE has never done anything right in 4 generations of hardware.

I agree. This is the PSP's big chance to strike back. The DS still has a decent list of games for about a month, but as of late October, barring any delays, it'll kick into overdrive.

I think WE9 for PSP will be the #1 seller for next week.

Predicting sales of:

PSP: 78k
DS: 36k
GBA: 90k

HAHA WHAT A MORON.

Slow week. Next week should be much more interesting. Brain Training surprises though, since I think it actually went UP this week.

IT BEGINS!

AniHawk said:
Animal Crossing is prolly the next huge game. The GC versions have moved over 900k combined over there.

:)

random people said:
I think from here on out, PSP will regularily be the no.1 portable in Japan.

DS will be able to overtake it on certain weeks due to certain titles being released, but regularily it'll be PSP at no.1.

Game Boy Next better be something really good.

Quote:
i wonder if ds will ever outsell psp again.

Quote:
I'm betting the DS will outsell the PSP again next week. If it doesn't you can ban me for a month.

Quote:
What the hell is goin on here- who has hacked my account?

This is not funny...

Mods, please!

Quote:
Looks like a trend has been firmly established. Of course, at this rate it will take forever for the PSP to catch up...but it will happen.

Quote:
DS's damage is all front-loaded. The PSP has outsold it by a considerable *proportion* for much longer than that. Basically, if the PSP continues to outsell Nintendo's combined handheld sales like this, then it's not gonna take that long to outsell the DS once sales pick up. These are the slow times. Isn't the end of March a big sales time in Japan? What happens when that 20k unit gap suddenly balloons to 60-100k units for weeks at a time? I wouldn't expect Nintendo to be satisfied with such a tenuous lead. I think they'd want to see sustained sales power, which the DS is not showing right now. Selling 20-30k units per week couldn't have been in their plans. PEACE.

Quote:
yet a single week of data is uber impressive because the PSP is outselling all of Nintendos hardware?

Just to restate : as doomed as the apparently NDS is, the NDS has outsold the PSP, the old PS2 model, and the new slimline PS2 model since it's launch in Japan.

lol - self ownership is the best! I was basing this off 1.8 million NDS sales, but Media create state different numbers. Still, i'm just trying to point out that fapping over these 1 week data snap shots is somewhat meaningless.

it's like running a marathon and declaring yourself the winner because you ran the 10th - 14th Km faster than the current leader (who is still 8 km ahead), sure it shows a potential trend, but it guarantees nothing. Nintendos sales are already in the bag.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
ethelred said:
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker and Mega Man Star Force are both potential million sellers -- I think the former will likely reach that, the latter has a good chance with there being three versions.

Zelda will be out in the new year, and while that won't be a million seller, it'll still be a very big seller.
I'm sure Zelda PH will be another DS million seller

AniHawk said:
Sadly, Zelda's been fading from the spotlight ever since Majora's Mask.

...and the same could have been said - and was, IIRC - of Mario/Mario Kart prior to the release of NSMB and MK: DS...

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Zelda break 1 million on the DS.

AniHawk

Cosmonaut X said:
...and the same could have been said - and was, IIRC - of Mario/Mario Kart prior to the release of NSMB and MK: DS...

Unlike Mario, which had a port of a 20 year-old game sell 1,000,000 before the release of NSMB, Zelda's been on a steady decline towards some pretty low levels. Minish Cap didn't break 300k, and Four Swords Adventure barely broke 200k (though that's a bit more understandable).

Link

The Autumn Wind
AniHawk said:
You could have said the same thing about Mario since Mario 64 until NSMB. I think the DS kinda rewrites the rules here.

EDIT - Beaten

ethelred

kia said:
I'm sure Zelda PH will be another DS million seller

Heh. Doubt it. Minish Cap didn't even crack 250k.

Phantom Hourglass will improve upon those numbers dramatically, but more than a x4 increase? I doubt that.

Cosmonaut X said:

i will be surprised if Zelda DS will become million seller... i mean in Japan, cause in America it's still a strong brand

I think PH's sales depend on how well TP sells in Japan. If TP can crack a million over time, then PH can get close or do the same.

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:

Probably since their names are listed and some people want to appear to be less biased etc. Sonyc certainly has a history flip flopping between patronizing the competition, to being overtly pro Sony as his DS quotes show. Secret ballot would be better. But yeah, that poll is whacky gaffy.

WARCOCK

Banned
slaughterking said:
Yamauchi won't die.

You guys joke about this, :( but im afraid the man does not have to much time left :/.
I sincerly admire the man for his insight, charisma and sharp buisness sense... a book would be great. He is like Nostragamus.

starship

AniHawk said:
I think the popularity and huge install base of DS and the release of TP (which will revive the Zelda brand in Japan) are factors you must consider.
And in the past we had a franchise which see huge increase in its sales during DS era, Animal Crossing.

AniHawk

kia said:
I think the popularity and huge install base of DS and the release of TP (which will revive the Zelda brand in Japan) are factors you must consider.
And in the past we had a franchise which see huge increase in its sales during DS era, Animal Crossing.

AC made much more sense as a megaseller than Zelda would. Zelda isn't even as popular as Final Fantasy in Japan.

Deku

Banned
WARCOCK said:
You guys joke about this, :( but im afraid the man does not have to much time left :/.
I sincerly admire the man for his insight, charisma and sharp buisness sense... a book would be great. He is like Nostragamus.

David Sheff's Game Over is probably the closest you'll get to a biography of him and the Yamauchi content has been quoted ad nauseum by people on the internet for years.

starship

AniHawk said:
AC made much more sense as a megaseller than Zelda would. Zelda isn't even as popular as Final Fantasy in Japan.
But FF is a multi million seller in Japan which means even if Zelda isn't as popular as FF in Japan (Which obviously it isn't) still can be a million seller.
IMO TP will only increase popularity of Zelda franchise in Japan so PH has a good chance to become a million seller

AniHawk

WARCOCK said:

Game Over said:
In his late thirties, Yamauchi was suavely handsome, a cigarette always dangling from the corner of his mouth. Even after he sold his love hotel, he was a familiar face among the Kyoto demimonde. Michiko [his wife] said nothing, but the children resented him bitterly.

In 1970, on her twentieth birthday, Yamauchi shocked Yoko [his daughter] when he announced that she was going out on the town with him. She dressed up and accompanied him to a cabaret, a sikake, where five geishas attended them, serving drinks. The women obviously knew him very well. Hiroshi toasted Yoko's coming of age, but when it got late, he sent her home in a taxi. He didn't come home until dawn.

Game Over said:
Dressed in a conservative suit, [Minoru Arakawa] arrived at the Yamauchis'. After the introductions were made, he joined the family at the low dining table, where Michiko and Yoko served the meal. Hiroshi sat back in his chair and studied his daughter's suitor.

The evening wore on and Yamauchi fired questions at Minoru as if he were conducting a job interview. He had to be convinced that Minoru was not a heaver drinker or a playboy.

"You went to Harvard, eh?" Yamauchi asked. "That is a good school."

Mino politely explained that he had gone to MIT.

"I have never heard of it," Yamauchi said.

Yoko and Mino had to convince him that MIT was okay too.

After the meal, the family withdrew to the living room for tea. There, Yamauchi looked at Arakawa and said, without emotion, "If you are going to marry my daughter, you should marry quickly."

Yoko and Minoru exchanged glances, and the young man nodded politely. "Yes, sir," he said.

Hiroshi ribbed Arakawa, saying he was a good choice because a woman shouldn't marry a man who was too good-looking. "If you have a nice-looking man, the girls won't leave him alone," he told his daughter.

Game Over said:
Arakawa pleaded with Yamauchi until his father-in-law finally put someone on the project. The chairman told Gunpei Yokoi to oversee the work of the young apprentice he had asked to come up with something. "But he knows nothing about video games," Yokoi said.

Yamauchi responded that there was no one else available.

The young man Yamauchi had chosen wasn't from any of the engineering groups; in fact, he wasn't even an engineer, but he had enthusiasm and some interesting ideas about the ways video games should be designed.

When Yamauchi so informed Arakawa, his son-in-law fumed. He needed a superior game to save the business and Yamauchi had put an inexperienced apprentice on the job! Why had Yamauchi seduced him into going to America if he was going to sabotage the operation? But there was nothing Mino could do, and he weakly asked his father-in-law, "What is this apprentice's name?"

Yamauchi answred, "Shigeru Miyamoto."

Game Over said:
One day a courier delivered a package that had arrived by air from Kyoto. Don James signed for it and delivered the small box to Arakawa. He opened it and saw the board that contained the new game's program. As the service technician installed it in a console, Arakawa called in Judy and Stone. They watched as the power was turned on. The opening screen announced the game: "DONKEY KONG."

They looked at one another. Stone swore. He and Judy tried the game and concluded that it was a disaster. Two thousand "Donkey Kongs" were worse than two thousand "Radarscopes." Al Stone walked out. "It's over," he said.

Arakawa worriedly complained to Yamauchi, who was thoroughly unsympathetic. He implored Yamauchi to at least change the name, but Yamauchi refused. "It's a good game," he said.

Sixty thousand more "Donkey Kongs" were sold, and Nintendo of America's second year ended with more than $100 million in sales.

It's a really good book, even if things are a bit... exaggerated.

Just for reference (and if anyone can correct/add to these rough figures, feel free):

Super Mario Kart -- 3,800,000 approx. (1992)
Mario Kart 64 -- 2,200,000 approx. (1996)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit -- 900,000 approx. (2001)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! -- 870,000 approx. (2003)
Mario Kart: DS -- 1,700,000 approx. (2005)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past -- 1,100,000 approx. (1991)
The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening / DX -- 980,000 approx. (1993)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time -- 1,400,000 approx. (1998)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask -- 600,000 approx. (2000)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages -- 400,000 approx. (2001)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons -- 400,000 approx. (2001)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords/ALttP -- 291,000 approx. (2002)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker -- 880,000 approx. (2003)
The Legend of Zelda (Famicom Mini reissue) -- 226,000 approx. (2004)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures -- 200,000 approx. (2004)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap -- 241,000 approx. (2005)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess -- ??? (2006)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass -- ??? (2007)

Super Mario Land -- ??? (1989)
Super Mario World -- 3,500,000 approx. (1990)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins -- 2,600,000 approx. (1992)
Super Mario Allstars -- 2,100,000 approx. (1993)
Yoshi's Island -- 1,700,000 approx. (1995)
Super Mario RPG -- 1,400,000 approx. (1996)
Super Mario 64 -- 1,900,000 approx. (1996)
Super Mario Advance -- 870,000 approx. (2001)
Super Mario Advance 2 -- 910,000 approx. (2001)
Super Mario Sunshine -- 870,000 approx. (2002)
Super Mario Advance 3 -- 600,000 approx. (2002)
Super Mario Advance 4 -- 780,000 approx. (2003)
Super Mario Bros (Famicom Mini re-issure) - 1,300,000 approx. (2004)
Super Mario 64 DS - 990,000 approx. (2004)
New Super Mario Bros -- 3,200,000 approx. (2006)

AniHawk

Cosmonaut X said:
Just for reference (and if anyone can correct/add to these rough figures, feel free):

Super Mario Kart -- 3,800,000 approx. (1992)
Mario Kart 64 -- 2,200,000 approx. (1996)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit -- 900,000 approx. (2001)
Mario Kart: Double Dash!! -- 870,000 approx. (2003)
Mario Kart: DS -- 1,700,000 approx. (2005)

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask -- ??? (2000)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords/ALttP -- ??? (2002)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures -- ??? (2004)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap -- 260,000 approx. (2005)

Super Mario Land -- ??? (1989)
Super Mario World -- 3,500,000 approx. (1990)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins -- 2,600,000 approx. (1992)
Super Mario Allstars -- 2,100,000 approx. (1993)
Yoshi's Island -- 1,700,000 approx. (1995)
Super Mario RPG -- 1,400,000 approx. (1996)
Super Mario 64 -- 1,900,000 approx. (1996)
Super Mario Advance -- 870,000 approx. (2001)
Super Mario Advance 2 -- 910,000 approx. (2001)
Super Mario Sunshine -- 870,000 approx. (2002)
Super Mario Advance 3 -- 600,000 approx. (2002)
Super Mario Advance 4 -- 780,000 approx. (2003)
Super Mario Bros (Famicom Mini re-issure) - 1,300,000 approx. (2004)
Super Mario 64 DS - 990,000 approx. (2004)
New Super Mario Bros -- 3,200,000 approx. (2006)

Majora's Mask was 600,000. FSA was 200,000.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I dunno. I honestly think TP could just barely edge out a million, since it is the Zelda people were waiting like 10 years for.

ethelred

Cosmonaut X said:
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask -- ??? (2000)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords/ALttP -- ??? (2002)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures -- ??? (2004)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap -- 260,000 approx. (2005)

Legend of Zelda: Famicom Mini series: 226,000
Legend of Zelda: ALTTP & Four Swords: 291,000
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap: 241,000

Top Bottom