• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media-Create: Sept 18-25

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Put the PSP next to the DS in the eyes of a customer and you can bury the DS the next day. The DS started very well, but so did the Dreamcast.

The DS, IMHO, was a knee jerk reaction to the PSP and is sloppy all the way down the board. The launch titles between the two systems are night and day. The DS couldn't even sell 1-1 software to hardware.

The PSP is over a generation ahead in terms of technology and is going to wipe the floor with the DS.

I completely respect Nintendo as a software company, but as far as hardware is concerned, they are a sheep lost in the woods, and Sony is coming home to grandma's house (how's that for mixed literary allusions? )

The DS will sell decently for 6-12 months, but it's so far behind the PSP, customers are going to jump ship.

From Dec 13/04
Originally Posted by sonycowboy:
Square Enix already has a game for the PSP and word is that quite a few more are to follow. I fully expect SE to be completely behind PSP in short order. They were concerned about a number of things, but with the news over the past 6 months and Sony's backburning of UMD movies and music (for the most part) over the next year or so, I think those concerns have been addressed.

In the next 2 years, which system do you believe will recieve the majority of SE's attention / new announcements?

It's like putting Claudia Shiffer next to Kirstie Alley. She might have been decent in her time (especially in Star Trek 2 ;), but now ...

That's exactly what I was going to say. Where's Elmo now?
Cabbage Patch Kids?
DS = 15 minutes in the sun

1-2(150)nostradamus.jpg

Uncanny.
When rampant fanboyism goes wrong , huh?

donny2112

Rock_Man said:
Yes, I have 11,164,712 too, but Media Create announced LTD numbers in April this year and since then we add the weekly numbers to those.

Thanks for the explanation. To match, I think I'll just arbitrarily subtract 3 from the LTD total and not adjust any of my weekly numbers. :)

kisakiproject said:
I'm guessing 27K first week fore Dead rising, which would put it at #4 or 5 sales wise for 360 software in Japan.

Maybe last week. I'm thinking that 27K may get it in at #10 this week, but it'll be cutting it close. All those (finally) available DS systems is bound to spur a ton of backlog sales. ;)

Deku

Banned
Well LOL at the posts although several of those 'well known' posters have only gotten more bitter since.

In anycase, I think this picture from 2ch sums up the before and after effect of the PSP launch.

pspreality.jpg

donny2112

Deku said:
Well LOL at the posts although several of those 'well known' posters have only gotten more bitter since.

sonycowboy has admitted he was wrong and openly declared the DS the winner in each of the three major regions. You've got to give him credit for not being afraid to admit he was wrong.

Deku

Banned
donny2112 said:
sonycowboy has admitted he was wrong and openly declared the DS the winner in each of the three major regions. You've got to give him credit for not being afraid to admit he was wrong.

I actually wasn't mocking Sonycowboy. He offered what he thought would be the picture in the next few years which made his post the easiest target. The others can't be bothered to make concrete predictions but instead spew all sorts of venom out of their pores which makes for great reading but there's not much to point to an laugh except their jackassery. drohne for example is still going strong.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
:lol at sonycowboy quotes

everything he said the complete opposite happened.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It was exagerated but really, who could blame people for thinking the DS would fail? It was a new and unproven strategy, I don't think even Nintendo was too confident about it in the beginning, but they knew what they had to do and they did it.

I was supportive of the DS from the beginning because I like innovation and change but I was under the impression PSP would win too. Anyone who said back then that DS would clearly win wasn't being too reasonable, it just wasn't clear for anybody not even Nintendo that DS would be more successful than the PSP.

A lot of that is carrying onto the Wii. People took the PSP seriously not because it was a great system but because of Sony's successful strategy with the PS1 and 2. In 2004 if people were regarding the DS because of the GBA, now people are only looking at Wii because the DS succeeded, if the DS didn't win it would have been hell for Nintendo to even present the idea of Wii to this industry. It doesn't mean Wii is gonna win it just means DS gave Wii a chance to compete.

DCharlie

what else could he do? Take the Kutaragi/Sony PR route and say "We are totally winning" ?

it's not a go at Sonycowboy per se , those are my hands in the top of that PSP vs DS picture and i really couldn't see how Sony could possibly lose out. Mrs C called me a tool and predicted a DS landslide based on gameplay over graphics - oh how i laughed at her and how she torments me for being wrong.

but yeah, Sonyc's comments are perhaps slightly more funny because of the 7 mile thick layer of fanboy creaming + inaccurate predictions on what people had in the pipeline. He wasn't the only one, just things like "In the next 2 years, which system do you believe will recieve the majority of SE's attention / new announcements?" ....

i can just imagine the nice treatment people who were brave enough to say "... the DS?" got!

pollo

Banned
Nah sonycowboy is probably the most egregious fanboy of all. He's always patronizing in his posts. Steve Kent is a ****ing hack. Wow. Goes to show how ****ing out of it he is. do video game analysts even play ****ing video games? Totally Clueless..

Im surprised, Nintendo does know what its doing.

DCharlie

Steve Kent is a ****ing hack. Wow. Goes to show how ****ing out of it he is. do video game analysts even play ****ing video games? Totally Clueless..

Huh... that's a bit harsh, Steve is a decent guy and he certainly plays a lot of games.

Deku

Banned
I met Steve at some function several years ago before PS2 came out and he discussed his book with me I eventually obtained a copy of The First Quarter, which I beleive was renamed The Ultimate History of VideoGames when he found a publisher. My copy was his self published version and it was a joy to read. Learning about the US industry and the the stuff that happened before the Famicom/NES was great.

Great guy. Fun to speak to and he knows his stuff. He probably leans towards Nintendo, at least that's the impression I got form his writing on the Japan Times and MSNBC when he still had a column there. But unlike a regular GAFer he doesn't torment other people with his biases on message boards like these. He doesn't really participate in this circus we call GAF.

DCharlie

I met Steve at some function several years ago before PS2 came out and he discussed his book with me I eventually obtained a copy of The First Quarter, which I beleive was renamed The Ultimate History of VideoGames when he found a publisher. My copy was his self published version and it was a joy to read. Learning about the US industry and the the stuff that hapepened before the Famicom/NES was great.

Great guy. Fun to speak to and he knows his stuff.

yup - agreed - met him out her in Japan and he's a great guy - we had a long talk about why i should be playing Metroid Prime :) he was very pleasent and great to talk to (especially for me as i'm a big retro nut)

The copy of the book i have is called "The First Quarter - the ultimate history of video games (so far)" or something similar.

it's at work, will check.

Joe Molotov said:
I think I've found the exact moment when GAF finally realized the truth:

July 4-10 2005

And thus a legend was born that defied all expectations. :D

It's really awesome to see so many anti-Nintendo folk get owned so unmercifully hard. Nintendo proved everyone wrong. And it's not just in Japan either, DS is winning worldwide, in America and Europe too. It baffles the mind that some people here actually think this is a Nintendo dominant forum even though there's more than a few people who are krazy for Sony (though some argue that they aren't biased at all... :lol).

Amir0x

Banned
Chris Michael said:
And thus a legend was born that defied all expectations. :D

It's really awesome to see so many anti-Nintendo folk get owned so unmercifully hard. Nintendo proved everyone wrong. And it's not just in Japan either, DS is winning worldwide, in America and Europe too. It baffles the mind that some people here actually think this is a Nintendo dominant forum even though there's more than a few people who are krazy for Sony (though some argue that they aren't biased at all... :lol).

yeah this board is totally dominated by Sonyfans and Microsoft fans

MrDaravon

That's why the PSP gets dumped on a fair amount here (relatively speaking); all the Nintendo fans from back then are getting their sweet payback. It is pretty funny to see how it's a pretty much total reversal of what people what expecting.

Deku

Banned
Amir0x said:

You're right. But that poll was from April 2006, before E3, but enough time for people to reconsider Nintendo's chances.

I think it's more accurate to say that GAF's administration/active userbase does not reflect the poll results. It certainly hasn't been my experience with you for example when you inject yourself in every thread known to man on GAF and repeat the same list of grievances, your likes and dislikes over and over again.

Maybe its an issue with perception then.

Amir0x

Banned
Deku said:
You're right. But that poll was from April 2006, before E3, but enough time for people to reconsider Nintendo's chances.

I think it's more accurate to say that GAF's administration/active userbase does not reflect the poll results. It certainly hasn't been my experience with you for example when you inject yourself in every thread known to man on GAF and repeat the same list of grievances, your likes and dislikes over and over again.

Maybe its an issue with perception then.

I'm sorry, that post of mine has nothing to do with me. GAF administration has their own biases - each love one thing more than other, as it's virtually impossible to be human and NOT have a preference, but you'd be surprised it breaks down pretty evenly. My posting my specific grievances often does not equal anything other than habitual posting habits, which will never change.

Chris Michael said:
Maybe Sony fans are just way more outspoken (hint: they are :p). Plus, that was about 4 months ago.

Wouldn't there be MORE Nintendo fans now? :lol

KINGMOKU

Amir0x said:
I'm sorry, that post of mine has nothing to do with me. GAF administration has their own biases - each love one thing more than other, as it's virtually impossible to be human and NOT have a preference, but you'd be surprised it breaks down pretty evenly. My posting my specific grievances often does not equal anything other than habitual posting habits, which will never change.

Wouldn't there be MORE Nintendo fans now? :lol
Yup. I dont argue anymore. I have learned that much at least.

I'll get even with witty avatars

Azelover said:
It was exagerated but really, who could blame people for thinking the DS would fail? It was a new and unproven strategy, I don't think even Nintendo was too confident about it in the beginning, but they knew what they had to do and they did it.

I was supportive of the DS from the beginning because I like innovation and change but I was under the impression PSP would win too. Anyone who said back then that DS would clearly win wasn't being too reasonable, it just wasn't clear for anybody not even Nintendo that DS would be more successful than the PSP.

A lot of that is carrying onto the Wii. People took the PSP seriously not because it was a great system but because of Sony's successful strategy with the PS1 and 2. In 2004 if people were regarding the DS because of the GBA, now people are only looking at Wii because the DS succeeded, if the DS didn't win it would have been hell for Nintendo to even present the idea of Wii to this industry. It doesn't mean Wii is gonna win it just means DS gave Wii a chance to compete.

Reminds me of those old Yamauchi quotes from early 2004

- The management are expecting good things from the DS
- If we can increase the scope of the industry, we can re-energise the global market and lift Japan out of depression - that is Nintendo's mission
- If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell
- The next two years will decide Nintendo's fate

- If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell

I absolutely love these two quotes, looking back at them. :) Nintendo ftw. :D

Okay that's enough Nintendo suckup for tonight. :lol

Link

The Autumn Wind
swerve said:
pspwned.jpg

This image needs updating, or some sort of counter-image, nowadays. Go Team Photoshop!
I could swear that I've already seen a counter-image here. Someone must have it.

TheGreatDave said:
Iwata always knew what he was doing. It's a shame that involved totally ****ing Gamecube over.
Eh, I don't mind. Aside from a few gems like F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime, which are in my top 5 current gen titles, it was a "me-too" console. It had no soul, no clear ambitions... other than to say "Hey, we can play disk-based games, also!"

I like when companies go out on limbs and do whacky stuff, whether I agree with them or not. And the GameCube was a play-it-safe console, and I can't respect that.

Battersea Power Station said:
Eh, I don't mind. Aside from a few gems like F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime, which are in my top 5 current gen titles, it was a "me-too" console. It had no soul, no clear ambitions... other than to say "Hey, we can play disk-based games, also!"

I like when companies go out on limbs and do whacky stuff, whether I agree with them or not. And the GameCube was a play-it-safe console, and I can't respect that.

Yeah, and Sony and MS were real devil may care risk takers. Boy, that Halo was some whacky ****ed up shit!!

miguel_c_hammer said:
Yeah, and Sony and MS were real devil may care risk takers. Boy, that Halo was some whacky ****ed up shit!!
Ah, GAF. Where else can I get called out for being a "Nintendo fan" and for putting Nintendo down within 3 consecutive posts?

Meier

FitzOfRage said:
Reminds me of those old Yamauchi quotes from early 2004

- The management are expecting good things from the DS
- If we can increase the scope of the industry, we can re-energise the global market and lift Japan out of depression - that is Nintendo's mission

Yamauchi is such a character. I can't wait to some day just read a book of his quotes alone.

Someone really should interview Yamauchi for his take on the current situation in Japan.

BTW, can anyone provide links to the specific topics in which these... predictions were made?

Edit: Just noticed Dalthien included dates. nvm.

enishi said:
From
http://blog.livedoor.jp/neoplay/

NDS
Pokemon Diamond - 520k (82%)
Pokemon Pearl - 420k (68%)
Kanji Quiz DS - 20k (12%)

PS2
.hack//GU Vol. 2 - 82k (80%)
Sangoku XI - 18k (42%)
Pop'n Music 13 - 10k (50%)

X360
Deadly Rising - 20k (82%)
Project Sylpheed - 5.5k (42%)

PSP
The Legend of Hero VI - 9k (56%)

That's only the first day. You must add 900k that Nintendo shipped yesterday. And who knows how long will be Pokémon's legs ?

Battersea Power Station said:

But...

GBA Link up (utterly stupid, but still wacky)/ Pac-Man VS/ Four Swords, Donkey Konga/ Jungle Beat, First Person Metroid (complete furor over that, remember?), cel-shaded deformed Zelda (even bigger furor), and the wackiest decision of the generation: badmouthing online.

I'd say they did plenty of wacky stuff. It's just that most of it was really stupid.

osyrus

i don't know if this has been said yet, but this is the best MC thread in months...

****in' QUOTES FTW. :lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom