• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Software Sales 2/5 - 2/11

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
verplant said:
hmm... was there ever a week (since ps2 launch) with only 2 ps2-games in top 30?

What's pretty interesting is that both of the PS2's games are in the top 10. Actually, all but one of the non-nintendo platform games are in the 11 to 30 range.

Something doesn't make sense that DS can do > 150k, but highest seller is < 40k?
Slow week + more systems = strange software sales.

I'm glad to see the great sales of NSMB though and Animal Crossing. They just will not die. They never will.

But here's a scary thougt guys... if 3rd pary games don't start doing good on the Wii (the best is ~ 80k, and Wii has a > 1 million userbase), where are 3rd party games going to go? They don't sell well on PS3 or 360, and even if they do sell moderately on PS3 (better than Wii), I doubt they'll make as good as a profit due to high-budget titles.

Scary thought for future of industry. Might just make all titles for the DS.

And where is Zelda?

sphinx

the piano man
LanceStern said:
Something doesn't make sense that DS can do > 150k, but highest seller is < 40k?

But here's a scary thougt guys... if 3rd pary games don't start doing good on the Wii (the best is ~ 80k, and Wii has a > 1 million userbase), where are 3rd party games going to go? They don't sell well on PS3 or 360, and even if they do sell moderately on PS3 (better than Wii), I doubt they'll make as good as a profit due to high-budget titles.

Scary thought for future of industry. Might just make all titles for the DS

If Wii succeds in a PS2 fashion, then Iwata's plan would have been achieved:

challenge developers to think out of the box and deliver products never seen before.

if Wii 3rd party software isn't selling, perhaps it sucks...

make good games and sales will come.

Galactic Fork

LanceStern said:

I'm glad to see the great sales of NSMB though and Animal Crossing. They just will not die. They never will.

And where is Zelda?

Look at the top 30. 23 of those are DS games. That means the new buyers are spreading out their game purchases nicely. Not just one game. I think that shows the quality of the DS library now.

LanceStern said:

FOh, sweet honey mustard, not that tired old line about Nintendo and 3rd parties again...

Name me a 3rd party game that anyone would have expected to sell a whole lot more than that.

And where is Zelda?

Off somewhere enjoying it's 25% attach rate.

And no one appears to be commenting on Luminous Arc. Blah on all of you. Blah, I say.

GreenGlowingGoo
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look at the top 30. 23 of those are DS games. That means the new buyers are spreading out their game purchases nicely. Not just one game. I think that shows the quality of the DS library now.

Yea I understand it now. I gotta take longer looks. It really is amazing how much Nintendo owns the Top 30.

Pureauthor said:
FOh, sweet honey mustard, not that tired old line about Nintendo and 3rd parties again...

Name me a 3rd party game that anyone would have expected to sell a whole lot more than that.

What are you saying

Off somewhere enjoying it's 25% attach rate.

Really is a shame. I mean I know the franchise isn't big in Japan, but I just wish they would pick it up. I mean, it looks like it'll struggle to reach 500k.

THEN AGAIN, a lot of franchises are slowing down A LOT on the consoles (FF, DMC, Tales etc.) so eh.

And no one appears to be commenting on Luminous Arc. Blah on all of you. Blah, I say.

Does GAF care about it anymore after Famitsu stomped it into the ground? It's not good, it's not bad, it's sales are just there. It'll be off the Top 15 next week. I'm glad a strategy RPG got up there though, and I still may be excited for it

Galactic Fork

LanceStern said:
Does GAF care about it anymore after Famitsu stomped it into the ground? It's not good, it's not bad, it's sales are just there. It'll be off the Top 15 next week.

I do. Blackace had good things to say about it. And I've been anticipating it for a while. I want to hear more impressions from people with the Japanese version though.

cvxfreak

Sega seems to be doing quite well with the DS too. Love and Berry sold boatloads, and Sangokushi and Puyo Puyo have a nice presence on the chart too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I miss these:

june11japmario.png

I wish I could make charts like that.

Actually, it seemed a lot of people were expecting Wii Sports to blow up like it has. Sure, a lot of them didn't really like it, but they saw how the casual set was going to eat it up.

cvxfreak said:
Sega seems to be doing quite well with the DS too. Love and Berry sold boatloads, and Sangokushi and Puyo Puyo have a nice presence on the chart too.

Sega
Square-Enix
IE Institute

and Bandai/Namco SOMEWHAT.

They know what the Japanese (non-traditional) gamers want!

NomarTyme said:
Seems like Amir0x hit right on the money.
Not really -- he implied Zelda would "probably" do better. Then again, with Amir0x's "probablies," "most likelies," and "forseeablies," he can hardly ever be wrong.

(edited to make it insulting)

Lapsed

Banned
In that thread I linked to, what I found interesting was Shikamaru Ninja's post:

Nintendo Ninja said:
It definitely is. This game is going to generate hype and excitement to casual/non-gamer maket with a stronger ferocity than Animal Crossing, Nintendogs or Brain Training.

EAD has gone pop. But damn, they have been raking in that money. Japan has been worshipping every single EAD DS game. I think, the Wii is going even stronger by taking the same concepts but bringing out some titles with bigger initial appeal.

Wii Sports and Wii Music are going to be big. Don't forget about Wii Music, Nintendo is going to put just as much marketing behind that one.

It looks like Wii Music will be the Next Big Thing on the Wii.

KINGMOKU

jj984jj said:
I miss these:

june11japmario.png

I wish I could make charts like that.
Well, color me surprised, I didnt think anyone gave two shits about my Mario charts.

I'll update my older one, just for you.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Lapsed said:
In that thread I linked to, what I found interesting was Shikamaru Ninja's post:

It looks like Wii Music will be the Next Big Thing on the Wii.

That's pretty exciting because Wii Music looked intriguing.

moku said:
Well, color me surprised, I didnt think anyone gave two shits about my Mario charts.

What? Those charts were awesome! It's insane how much NSMB has sold in under a year. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 6 million in Japan when all is said and done.

Link

The Autumn Wind
moku said:

What? We've been asking for updates forever, you cruel bastard!

MrPonx

moku said:

too lazy to search for my replies asking for this to be updated...

Funny thing (and it's already been stated) is that 50k as #1 used to be the norm or a good week for Japan back in 04 and before then.

After DS hit with it's inhuman numebrs, everything just seems so failure-like in comparison. I want my 100k NSMB, AC and Pokemans back every week.

I WANT ANIMAL CROSSING BACK :*(

KINGMOKU

DONEMARIOCHART.jpg

There you go. It will pass MarioLand on the Gameboy very soon, marking a pretty momentous occasion, as a Mario title hasnt been that high since then.

Just to give you an idea, this is what it was at the last time I updated it;

SUPERMARIOCHARTF.jpg

It's come a long way since then.

Koren

moku said:
Where did you get that strange idea ? Those charts are really nice. Thanks for the work...

When's the last time any title hit over 4 million in Japan (not including Pokemon)?

DS is breaking all records. 4, 4 million sellers soon. 2 of which being new franchises.

Meier

The Experiment said:
Few things:

1) It was unrealistic to expect Virtua Fighter 5 to carry the PS3. 48000 copies is pretty good, given how the PS3 situation in Japan is. I would almost consider it a success in this regard. There is a reason why Sega announced a 360 port a while back: they knew that the PS3 was not tearing it up and VF5 sales would be crippled by this. They were right.

3) Gundam Musou is not going to save the PS3. I think it will sell 30000 copies at least its debut week. It will probably even hit six digits (100,000 to 200,000 maybe) for overall sales but I don't expect this game to light the fire under the PS3's ass. The Musou series' popularity has declined considerably the past couple of years. I expect GM to continue the trend, not buck it.

There is no way to spin the sales of VF5 as positive. It is a bomb of epic preportions. I actually expect Gundam Musou to debut around 125k or thereabouts, but to have very short legs. Although Musou games are not what they were 2 years ago or so, Gundam titles still do very well and even if the hardcore gamers did not come out and buy VF5, the current PS3 demographic has to suit the Gundam crowd quite well.

Galactic Fork

moku said:
DONEMARIOCHART.jpg

There you go. It will pass MarioLand on the Gameboy very soon, marking a pretty momentous occasion, as a Mario title hasnt been that high since then.

It's come a long way since then.

Super mario 64 DS broke a million a little while ago. I'm sure there was a report with updated numbers recently.

Meier

The first Ippo game was one of the main reasons I bought a PS2. Picked up Victorious Boxers, MGS2 and FFX within a month or so of eachother. For whatever reason, Gamestop charged like 52.99+tax for it though.. bastards.

d[-_-]b

Banned
Meier said:
The first Ippo game was one of the main reasons I bought a PS2. Picked up Victorious Boxers, MGS2 and FFX within a month or so of eachother. For whatever reason, Gamestop charged like 52.99+tax for it though.. bastards.
How was the game?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The Experiment said:
Few things:

1) It was unrealistic to expect Virtua Fighter 5 to carry the PS3. 48000 copies is pretty good, given how the PS3 situation in Japan is. I would almost consider it a success in this regard. There is a reason why Sega announced a 360 port a while back: they knew that the PS3 was not tearing it up and VF5 sales would be crippled by this. They were right.
But is it really a success if those sales are less than 1/3rd of the total retail preorder?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
1. I didn't say wow at the chart, but I did say Whoa. Keanu style.
2. I freaking love the Mario Chart. Keep that shit alive!
3. VF5 bomba complete, but that isn't surprising. PS3 won't even hit 30k this week.
4. The Wii will still sell more than 2.5x the amount the PS3 did.
5. The DS sales are (will be) ****ing disgusting. This might become the greatest selling system of all time.

What is the next "Wait until ### comes out!" for the PS3? Gundam? FFXIII? Something else?

Another dominating week for Nintendo, however it looks like Jet Impulse really took the pipe. Not even in the top 30 its first week. I was hoping it would do well, as flight combat is a genre Nintendo's never really tried before, except for Star Fox, which is more of a straight-forward shooter.

cvxfreak

PantherLotus said:
3. VF5 bomba complete, but that isn't surprising. PS3 won't even hit 30k this week.
5. The DS sales are (will be) ****ing disgusting. This might become the greatest selling system of all time.

What is the next "Wait until ### comes out!" for the PS3? Gundam? FFXIII? Something else?

MGS4? RE5?

Christopher

PantherLotus said:

ouch your one of those - tsc tsc.

We'll see how VF does next week before anything else.

Top Bottom