• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skittleguy said:
There is a way to gain adb shell root access using with a modified stock rom for the Magic on Rogers!

Now, I have the awesome boot screen :D
2nitiro.gif

I just got that this week as well.

In fact, I've gone from stock OS to cupcake to tricked out rooter modified rom in no time! My only regret right now is that ther isn't an optin for multitouch and Exchange support together. Multitouch is more of a gimmick and I need Exchange, so that wins.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I played with HTC Magic yesterday at a demo booth. It's pretty good except the GPS thing gave came up with the wrong location and the demo customer service representative was kind of embarrassed when I pointed it out :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Reviews:

1. Gizmodo:
    Not only does the T-Mobile G2/HTC Magic/Google Ion phone improve on original T-Mobile G1 in just about every way, it manages to do it while cutting down significantly on the size. The only thing it doesn't have going for it is a hardware keyboard.

[...] The generously curved shell is thicker than the iPhone, but less wide, which actually makes it feel better in the hand. It weighs 4.09 ounces compared to the G1's 5.60 ounces, but somehow manages to feel even lighter, like half as heavy. That curved chin that caused such a nuisance when typing on the G1 is no longer a problem, due to the fact that there's no actual slide-out hardware keyboard. Face buttons are now smaller and shiny and raised, which makes them easier to locate and press.

[...] What you'll feel most often is the increased ROM and RAM: 512MB and 288MB, respectively. The beefed up hardware makes a noticeable difference in speed when launching and using apps.

[...] Although the T-Mobile G2/Google Ion/HTC Magic has still has its flaws, it's essentially better than the G1 in every way. It's lighter, faster, better and supposedly lasts longer on a charge. Unless you absolutely need to have a hardware keyboard for massive text entry, there's no real reason why Android seekers shouldn't get the G2 when it debuts on T-Mobile soon.​
  2. CNET Reviews:
    The Google Ion is the Android device for which we've been waiting. A few complaints remain, but its eye-catching design and interface, improved features, and satisfying performance make us excited about Android's full potential.

[...] The user interface is similar to the G1's, which means it is fun, clean, and intuitive. [...] The home screen is made of three panels side by side, which you can move between by swiping your finger across the display. In a bold degree of customization, you can populate the screen with any number of shortcut icons that give instant access to the related applications. The Ion comes with a selection of default icons, but you can remove them or add more as you wish. Such customization and ease-of-use makes for one of the best cell phone UI's around.

[...] Below the display are the Ion's only physical controls. They offer improvements over the G1 not only because there are more of them, but also because they have a sturdier feel. You'll find Talk and End/power keys, a Home button, the aforementioned Menu control, a Google Search shortcut key, and a back button. The keys are crammed into a relatively small area, but they didn't feel too cramped. We also like that the navigation trackball is larger and has more space around its perimeter.

[...] On the upside, the T-Mobile 3G connection was lightning fast under most circumstances. Particularly when using the browser, we noticed a positive change from the iPhone. T-Mobile 3G connection doesn't seem to penetrate as far into buildings as AT&T's does, but once you have it, you should be quite satisfied.

[...] Like with the G1, the Ion's processor performed beautifully. The phone responded quickly to our commands when opening and closing applications and there was no lag time when navigating the menus. More importantly, we didn't experience any system freezes or crashes.

Photos:

33665904-2-440-PALM-4.jpg

33665904-2-300-DT2.jpg

pr_g2_handson_f.jpg

medium_3573494485_f3b6a7d3eb_o.jpg

medium_3573494411_340cc98ff3_o.jpg

Black is so hawt. :D And I really hope the MyTouch version keeps the blue band, that is really cool.

Or, they could go with the Asian version's red...

tunacat_1_b71ed565f561884a7dbe62669.jpg

But from the leaked boxart I don't think that's the case.

I really want this to be released soon. >_<

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
huawei_u8230.jpg

- 3.5" LCD Touchscreen
- 1500 mAh Battery
- 3.2 MP Camera
- European Release, No Price
- Runs Android (Naturally)

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2244209/huawei-unveils-smartphone-range

If this hits the US and the resolution is higher than HVGA (should be, seeing as how it's 0.3 inches larger than any other Android device) Android may capture a lot of the higher-end smartphone market. Touch Diamond 2 got nothing on this.
Cool01.gif

NetMapel

Andrex said:
huawei_u8230.jpg

- 3.5" LCD Touchscreen
- 1500 mAh Battery
- 3.2 MP Camera
- European Release, No Price
- Runs Android (Naturally)

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2244209/huawei-unveils-smartphone-range

If this hits the US and the resolution is higher than HVGA (should be, seeing as how it's 0.3 inches larger than any other Android device) Android may capture a lot of the higher-end smartphone market. Touch Diamond 2 got nothing on this.
Cool01.gif
I never trust electronics from mainland China, to be honest :p

Ephemeris

From the WSJ blog:

T-Mobile USA is expected to announce details around a new phone powered by Google’s Android operating system next week, say people familiar with the matter.

The new Android-based phone is slated to be called myTouch 3G, those people say. Like its predecessor, known as the G1, the follow-on device uses Android and is made by HTC. It is expected to go on sale in the U.S. this summer, making it the second Android-based phone to hit the market from a major carrier in the U.S. Google executives have said that more such phones are on the way, forecasting that at least 18 Android phones from a variety of manufacturers will hit the market this year.

3000653559_f5e76093ee.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, saw that. :) Here's to hoping they deliver something good next week.

On a slightly related noted, I hope HTC really blows the Hero out at their press meeting on the 24th (a week from today =0). Hopefully, they've been prepping for a worldwide release as this situation with the Magic is just cruel.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jonnybryce said:
That looks like a street knockoff of the Magic, and it's specs don't justify its existence.

Even if it doesn't have 3G and the screen and camera are smaller, the $150 is really nice. Android needs to capture as much of the low-end market as the high-end, and I think that justifies its existence. :)

BTW all the DNS stuff has reignited my interest to do an all-encompassing Android hardware thread, should be done tomorrow. The phone updates in this thread are distracting and cluttering up what should be discussion specifically about the Magic.

Ephemeris

Perhaps in response to the Wall Street Journal's suggestion that T-Mobile would be releasing details on its next Android phone next week, a company spokesperson has said just that: "Next week, T-Mobile will share more details about its next Android-powered phone, the follow-on device to the T-Mobile G1 with Google."

I hope it's not an announcement for a August July launch.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ephemeris said:
I hope it's not an announcement for a August July launch.

Yeah. A June launch would be great.

The more time they wait, the more time other devices will be able to steal my intentions.

Ephemeris

Andrex said:
Yeah. A June launch would be great.

The more time they wait, the more time other devices will be able to steal my intentions.

Pretty much.

Don't think I wouldn't get a G1 from craigslist just to spite you tmobile.

No contract extension for you!

kaskade

I'm really hoping the announcement is for the release being like the next day or something. The Magic is looking more and more appealing, plus I can upgrade my phone now.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I'm so pumped to get an Android phone that I don't know if I can wait for the Samsung i7500 to come out. I might just spring for the Magic whenever it's available.

rabhw

Got my magic a couple of days ago. Got a couple of questions that I'm still not sure about:

1.) Where the hell is the "avoid highways" option for the google maps app? Am I missing it somewhere? What the hell...

2.) How do I stop the fucking backlight from turning off after 1 minute only while I'm using google maps / GPS. I don't want to have to keep unlocking my phone every minute to see where I'm at on my route...

3.) I've set up my work email to be a POP address in my gmail account settings, will pushmail work for messages sent to my work account? Or will it need to wait for gmail to check the POP server (no way to configure this?) before it will let me know I have an email in my work account?

Krelian

1) I haven't used Google Maps often, I wouldn't know if there's such an option. A quick check led me to believe there isn't. But there's other navi software in the store you may want to check out.

2) The display timeout option is in the sound and screen options. I recommend the "Toggle Settings" app for quickly accessing this and various other settings.

3) That one has to be answered by someone else. I only set up a POP account with the "E-Mail" app.

rabhw said:
3.) I've set up my work email to be a POP address in my gmail account settings, will pushmail work for messages sent to my work account? Or will it need to wait for gmail to check the POP server (no way to configure this?) before it will let me know I have an email in my work account?
That question makes no sense, dude. The Gmail app is (nearly) real-time Gmail. Think of it as another computer. If you open up Gmail on your home computer, you'll see a set of messages, labels, etc. If you open up Gmail on your Android phone, you'll see the same set of messages, labels, etc. You can't expect it to get things that haven't hit your account yet. No, you can't change the POP check interval, although it's pretty quick as it is, no? I don't think I've waited more than 10 minutes when I used to use POP a while ago. And 10 minutes is pretty standard regardless of what app you use... Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.

What server is your work account on? Depending on that, setting up forwarding might be quicker than POP.

kaskade

Some pictures surfaced of the black Magic, with the tmobile and myTouch branding on it.

I'm really getting excited for this. After researching and watching videos on Android it looks really solid. Looks like I'll be giving up my iPhone.

Not very good quality.

3na3k93m2ZZZZZZZZZ96k17c8df38893b12a3.jpg

3k63oa3l7ZZZZZZZZZ96k2631e30135dc163f.jpg

3n13k13lbZZZZZZZZZ96k13dafb3491531105.jpg

3k43m03ofZZZZZZZZZ96kf4c5c87cb3c71c73.jpg

Ephemeris

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Some pictures surfaced of the black Magic, with the tmobile and myTouch branding on it.

I'm really getting excited for this. After researching and watching videos on Android it looks really solid. Looks like I'll be giving up my iPhone.

Not very good quality.

The guy selling it wants $500 for it locally, or else it's going for $700 on ebay lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The back looks matte, unlike the Ion version. Hrm...

I don't like the "My" circle. :/

Otherwise the black buttons look hawt. ^_^

Ephemeris said:
The 8th eh? Are they gonna be handling it the way they did with the G1? Preorder in September for October/November release?

Hopefully not. :(

SRG01

Andrex said:
Even if it doesn't have 3G and the screen and camera are smaller, the $150 is really nice. Android needs to capture as much of the low-end market as the high-end, and I think that justifies its existence. :)

BTW all the DNS stuff has reignited my interest to do an all-encompassing Android hardware thread, should be done tomorrow. The phone updates in this thread are distracting and cluttering up what should be discussion specifically about the Magic.

Also worth noting is that nearly all non-3G phones do not come with WiFi, with the exception of things like the BB Curve.

El Papa

t-mobile-mytouch-3g-ofc.jpg

Engadet said:
The good news is that T-Mobile USA has finally gotten around to announce its second Android handset, the myTouch 3G; the bad news, though, is that you can't have it just yet. The carrier-customized version of the HTC Magic that has already shipped in parts of Europe, Asia, and Canada features a 3.2-inch 480 x 320 touchscreen, AWS 3G for use on T-Mobile's high-speed network paired with quadband EDGE for global roaming, WiFi, a 3.2 megapixel camera, and -- of course -- Android 1.5 with all the virtual keyboardin' you can handle. Better than the G1? Other than the larger internal memory common to all Magics, that's strictly a matter of personal taste -- but don't worry, you'll have a while to sort it out, because T-Mobile won't even start taking preorders from current customers until July 8 for $199.99 on a two-year contract. Those orders will start shipping in late July, with full national availability following on in early August in your choice of black, white, or "merlot."
Sorry Andrex, looks like you'll have to wait a bit longer. :p
Link

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Frigging hell I NEED an Android device for any meaningful debugging if I want to make the mid-August ADC2 cutoff. :mad: :mad:

WHY THE HELL IS THIS TAKING SO LONG T-MOBILE?? It's been out in Euroland for almost two months already!!

Edit- Oddly enough I was blind-entering URLs earlier tonight and the only one without a server not found error was, of course, t-mobilemytouch.com, which said "Virtual Directory does not allow its contents to be listed", so I figured that would be the official website.

Oh well. Adding all this new info to the OP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
From the official site:

One-Click Sharing

Why wait &#8216;til you get back to your computer to share memories? With the built-in 3.2MP camera, you can shoot pictures and videos on the spot, then instantly share them with family and friends by simply touching the Picasa or YouTube widget. Or personalize your home screen with your favorite pics with one touch.

kaskade

Not sure which color I like the most. I'm probably not going to be able to see one in person before I get it either, unless I wait which isn't happening. :D

JaseMath

I'm still gonna stick to my guns and wait for the i7500. If it's not confirmed for T-Mobile by late Sept., I'll do the MyTouch (...ugh@name).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ThePeacemaker02 said:
Not sure which color I like the most. I'm probably not going to be able to see one in person before I get it either, unless I wait which isn't happening. :D

I knew black was for me ever since the boxart was shown. I absolutely loved the gloss black look from the earlier Asian version shots, but always despised the metal keys.

Since the myTouch's keys match the glossy black look I don't have to worry. ^,^ Plus the black is matte, which should help with fingerprints (though I don't know if I care for the look...)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Skittleguy said:
I find it amazing that even though it's the same phone, it's different EVERYWHERE.

Definitely is somewhat frustrating.

I will say that if the Huawei U8320 is announced for anyone in the US before the myTouch hits the streets, I'll be holding tight for that.

The i7500 less so, but the Huawei device really sounds high-end.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sigh, this whole thing has been botched by T-Mobile. It could have been so much more. If it had launched before or right after the Pre, at the rumored $180 price or less, it would have definitely propelled Android to new heights. As it is, I can't really muster any blame for people who say they waited and waited but finally decided to go for the Pre or the new iPhone; T-Mobile simply made a slew of wrong decisions regarding this handset.

That said, they also made a few right ones. "myTouch", despite how bad it initially sounds, could eventually become a strong brand of touchscreen-only Android devices for T-Mobile. The Samsung i7500 could very well become the T-Mobile myTouch Galaxy or something similar; to put it concisely, the brand definitely helps the "mainstream consumer" T-Mobile is after with understanding what the phone is about.

Also, the myTouch apparently has a strong focus on myTouch-exclusive apps:

T-Mobile uses custom apps and accessories to promote its new ''myTouch 3G.''

[...] To reach the rank and file, T-Mobile is retraining its staff and commissioning new applications for the phone.

Source.

The first revealed application is Sherpa:

Sherpa_270x405.PNG

This could end up being a very smart decision for them, already I've seen some Internet posts lament that their Vodafone Magics don't have the HTC niceties. Device-exclusive Android apps may soon become the determining factor for future phones.

And, while higher than the rumored price and higher than I want or think is appropriate, the myTouch does hit a certain price sweet spot. However, I can see it being dropped $50-80 at Wal*Mart and Amazon in a few months, like the G1. And as for the date, it may annoy tech-savy people who have been following the phone and are under constant assault by Pre and iPhone news, with a good ad campaign the normal consumer won't care- it may sell strongly for years.

That's a good thing the G1 had that helped it hit a million so quickly: the ads. The official website was blown out, and hands-on impressions were all over the net early thanks to the unveiling party. The myTouch obviously doesn't have that, but the G1 also had an impressive commercial run- something I want to see beefed up even further for the myTouch if T-Mobile hopes to attract its sought-after mainstream consumers.

---

Some interesting things I found:

CNET said:
CNET's German hasn't yet reviewed the new myTouch, which will come in new colors and have enhanced software capabilities specially designed for T-Mobile.

The myTouch comes with 512 Megabytes of internal memory and supports microSD for external storage. The device will ship with a 4GB microSD card, but customers can add more storage if they'd like.

[...] Even though T-Mobile's first Android phone hasn't even been out a year, T-Mobile is calling the myTouch its premier Android smartphone, said Andrew Sherrard, vice president at T-Mobile. The carrier will announce a few more Android devices later this year, but it will be focusing much of its marketing efforts promoting the myTouch. And while Sherrard said the G1 isn't going away anytime soon, he believes the myTouch will have an even better chance to pick up new customers who are looking for an easy to use smartphone.

[...] From a software perspective, consumers will have the opportunity to completely customize their myTouch device with various Android applications. In retail stores, T-Mobile sales representatives will help customers set up their own personalized device before they leave the store.

[...] "This is more than a product launch for us," Sherrard said. "We want consumers to view this as an experience that we are creating for them."

Source.

Business Week said:
At the very least, T-Mobile wants the new Android phone to sell more units than its earlier cousin, the G1, which T-Mobile released in October, aiming for tech-savvy customers. The myTouch "will be the centerpiece [of our marketing] for the second half of our year," says Cole Brodman, chief technology and innovation officer at T-Mobile USA. "I think this phone will do better than the G1, because it's aimed at a wider audience." Like the G1, the myTouch is manufactured by HTC. T-Mobile will continue to sell the G1.

[...] The new myTouch features several improvements. In an exclusive, hands-on software demonstration with BusinessWeek.com, the myTouch felt light and elegant, more akin to the iPhone than the bulkier, squarish G1.

[...] During a test on June 21, the on-screen keyboard proved easy to use and its predictive text features made typing simple.

[...] But to really wow consumers, the myTouch will need to be distinguished by more than a favorable comparison with G1. So T-Mobile plans to emphasize how users can personalize the phone with 40 specially designed accessories that can be purchased separately. In-store T-Mobile reps will work with shoppers to show features and downloadable software applications tailored to a person's specific interests and needs. "This is a fantastic idea and exactly the way wireless devices need to evolve," says Chris Collins, a senior analyst at consultant Yankee Group Research. "I believe this is the first product that made personalization a major selling point."

[...] The new phone will be available for pre-order for existing T-Mobile customers for $199 with a new two-year contract starting on July 8, with shipments beginning on July 29. The phone will be available to the general public in early August and will come packaged with headphones, a charger, a USB cord, and a cleaning pouch. T-Mobile plans to introduce two other Android handsets, whose manufacturers haven't yet been announced, later this year.

[...] T-Mobile says it's not worried about price pressure. "Our goal with [the myTouch] is not to chase other price points," Brodman says. "We think it's more of a premium experience." In the increasingly competitive smartphone market, it will have to be. [Andrex's Note:
argh.gif
]

Source.

Forbes said:
T-Mobile uses custom apps and accessories to promote its new ''myTouch 3G.''

Google's Android is going mainstream.

[...] It also tweaked the hardware and software to yield an extra hour of talk-time battery life and built in support for Microsoft's ( MSFT - news - people ) Exchange ActiveSync e-mail.

[...] Experts caution that a successful launch requires careful execution. The addition of Sherpa and other customizable features could make the myTouch less Google-centric than the G1. Some say that could be a risk, since Google has a stronger brand than T-Mobile. The myTouch is "not as focused on Google as it is on the consumer," concedes T-Mobile's Sahay. The phone does incorporate popular Google applications, including Google Maps, YouTube, Gmail, and Picasa.

[...] Sahay says T-Mobile's 3G network currently covers about 90% of the country's population, following a flurry of expansion over the past five months.

Analysts also point out that T-Mobile will lose a competitive advantage when other U.S. carriers begin selling Android phones. "We should see at least one device on Sprint by the end of the year," says Golvin. Verizon and AT&T are also expected to have Android phones within the next year.

The most controversial aspect of the myTouch launch may be its name. While it points to the phone's touch-screen and personalization features, neither Collins nor Golvin felt it was particularly creative. Consumers may confuse "myTouch" with Apple's iPod touch, which some call the "iTouch," adds Golvin.

T-Mobile may be reserving the "G2" name for an upcoming device more similar to the original G1, says Collins. Sahay says the company will continue to support the G1, which remains one of T-Mobile's top five most popular products, and intends to build a range of products around the new myTouch brand.

Source.

Recap:

- Comes with 4GB microSD card
- Comes with Microsoft ActiveSync Exchange support built-in
- Starts shipping July 29th
- The G1 will continue to be sold
- T-Mobile reps will help customers personalize it in stores with apps and accessories
- T-Mobile is seeking to create their own exclusive Android apps, in contrast to AT&T which is seeking to design their own interface
- T-Mobile is launching two more Android phones this year

I believe this is the first time we've gotten a firm number on precisely the amount of other phones they'll launch. Bigfoot and Morrison will likely be them, with the Bigfoot probably getting the fabled "G2" moniker. Although, Huawei's device was rumored to be coming to T-Mobile, but since the redesign that may be Euro-only for now.

Thoughts?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Skittleguy said:
Android = Open Source = Sherpa on my Rogers? I hope so!

The OS itself is open source, but the apps may not be. Depending on what T-Mobile does, they could put a framework on top of Android that their exclusive apps require to run. Nothing that flashing their stock ROM wouldn't be able to conquer, but it may be premature to hope that Sherpa will make its way to other devices just yet.

Then again, if it's just a regular .apk file that's only being limited by the Android Market's filtering, the app should make its way to the 'net and be available for manual installing very quickly.

NetMapel

SFA_AOK

already I've seen some Internet posts lament that their Vodafone Magics don't have the HTC niceties

Could you expand on this? I'm in the UK and was considering getting the Magic on Vodafone.

Also, someone alluded to another thread, possibly about Android development? Does anyone have the link to hand?

I've got another 3.5 months left on my contract and want an Android phone, the magic looks great. Sucks I have to wait but come October time I guess there'll be more choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom