• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

So why did they cancel MML3 again? Not enough fans?
Who knows? Capcpom, obviously, but we're not them and they don't wanna be like us.

It was probably 3DS sales, I think. They didn't even release their test game on the eShop, which is a really bad sign.

Maybe—just maybe—they were acting like children and trying to piss off INAFKing. I'd beat the snot out of them if they actually did this for that reason.

Teknoman

I thought Saturn MM8 released in NA as well?

2568BF3E-AD8B-64F0-58F42E14F9DEFE98.jpg

I know I remember seeing at Target, along with Resident Evil and Rise of the Robots. I think its just really rare now.

Kokonoe

Banned
So tbh I never played any of the Legends games.

Do they hold up?

I played the first one for the first time a few months ago, I can't say the controls hold up, and the game is really hard. I guess it just depends, but I heard the sequel holds up fine.

Noi

Music list! It's fun to see what different people look for in Mega Man music.

X/Zero Opening Themes:
X - Opening Stage (Central Highway)
Zero - Opening Stage Zero (Sky Lagoon)

Stage themes:
X - Storm Eagle Stage (New-type Airport)
X2 - Wheel Gator Stage (Dinosaur Tank)
X3 - Gravity Beetle Stage (Airfield Fort)
X4 - Cyber Peacock Stage (Cyber Space)
X5 - Squid Adler / Volt Kraken Stage (Power Plant ~ Electric Trap!)
X6 - Blaze Heatnix Stage (Magma Area)

Fortress Themes:
X - Sigma Stage 1
X2 - Counter Hunter Stage 1 (Arctic Reserve)
X3 - Doppler Stage 1 (Waste Disposal Area)
X4 - Final Weapon Stage 2 (Final Weapon)
X5 - Zero Stage 2 (Cyber Maze Core)
X6 - Gate's Laboratory Stage 1-2

Boss Themes:
X - Sigma 2nd (Wolf ~ Velgaurder)
X2 - Another Boss (CF-0 ~ X-Hunters)
X3 - Doppler Stage Boss (Godkarmachine O' Inary)
X4 - Sigma 1st (Reaper)
X5 - X vs. Zero
X6 - Gate

Can't really comment on X7 and X8 cause I don't remember jack about either. Really, the amount of great music the series has spawned is pretty fantastic.

Kokonoe

Banned
This was a rumor I heard a very long time ago, but I heard in Mega Man X1 if you do enough damage to Vile's Ride Armor in the intro stage, you can blow off his arm. Is this true?

Videoneon

When Winter comes you can almost always find me walking around NYC with this in a playlist. So good.

It's good winter music. It's not too heavy, so it really lets you take in your surroundings too. I like this track.
I actually did that exact thing - walking around the city with Frost Man's theme playing, back when I was in college. So good.

My personal favorite out of Mega Man 8 is Search Man's stage theme. It's hard for me to describe this one. Other ones I like include Wily Stage 2, Intro Stage, Astro Man and Aqua Man.

Music list! It's fun to see what different people look for in Mega Man music.

Favorite X Opening Stage: Sky Lagoon. YUS
Favorite Zero Opening Stage: X5, actually...

Favorite Maverick Stage:
X1 - Spark Mandrill
X2 - Overdrive Ostrich
X3 - Blizzard Buffalo or Toxic Seahorse
X4 - STORM OWWLLLL
X5 - Spike Rosered (hard for me to describe this theme without just saying...sexy) or Dark Necrobat
X6 - Commander Yammark
X7 - Vanishing Gungaroo is the best, the only close ones are Splash Warfly and Tornado...Tonion
X8 - Optic Sunflower (Test version)

Favorite Boss Battles

X1: All iconic...
but I don't like any of them that much!
X2: They just don't do it for me...Sigma 2nd?
X3: Bit & Byte?
X4: Iris
X5: X VS Zero. Damn right I'm choosing this.
X6: X VS Zero...er....Gate
X7: Red?
X8: Lumine 2nd!

Teknoman

I just realized what Electrical Communication reminds me of, the opening song from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

EDIT: Yup when it comes to 8, its all about Search Man. Aqua Man, Grenade Man, and Frost Man come close though. Whats up with Search Man's intro though? "I'm Search Man, ok?"

Videoneon

I just realized what Electrical Communication reminds me of, the opening song from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Oh man, I was going to post about Electrical Communication earlier.

I have it on my iPod, I love that song. It's way better than the Mega Man 8 OP, which isn't even bad. It may just be my favorite Rockman vocal song, or at least top 2 or 3.

Kokonoe

Banned
Playing through MMX2 right now, and I really like how the intro has X on the bike dodging bullets, then X leaps off propelling the bike into the enemy in which you finish off when it says "Game Start". Really interesting way to kick off a game.

Poor Green Biker Dude, though.

I know I remember seeing at Target, along with Resident Evil and Rise of the Robots. I think its just really rare now.

Yeah, that and X4 USA isn't that easy to come across anymore. I managed to luck out and get cheap copies of both. Saturn MM8 is the best version to go for since they kept in the Cut Man and Wood Man boss battles (weirdly absent from the Playstation version).

MM3 blows its load on the Doc Robot stages which are hard with hard boss fights (the extra bit of height on Doc Robot can make him really hard to jump over)

Wily's Castle is a victory lap in comparison and filled with E-Tanks and extra lives.

Damn Wood Man rematch! I swear he seems almost impossible to dodge, his leaf shield comes out so fast and seems much harder to leap over compared to MM2. I prefer not using the special weapons to fight bosses (I like to just use the buster where possible as I find it more fun and challenging) but I usually make an exception for the Doc Robots since they can be real pains in the ass sometimes.

qq more

Playing through MMX2 right now, and I really like how the intro has X on the bike dodging bullets, then X leaps off propelling the bike into the enemy in which you finish off when it says "Game Start". Really interesting way to kick off a game.

Poor Green Biker Dude, though.

RIP Green Biker Dude

21xx - 1842

Teknoman

Yeah, that and X4 USA isn't that easy to come across anymore. I managed to luck out and get cheap copies of both. Saturn MM8 is the best version to go for since they kept in the Cut Man and Wood Man boss battles (weirdly absent from the Playstation version).

Damn Wood Man rematch! I swear he seems almost impossible to dodge, his leaf shield comes out so fast and seems much harder to leap over compared to MM2. I prefer not using the special weapons to fight bosses (I like to just use the buster where possible as I find it more fun and challenging) but I usually make an exception for the Doc Robots since they can be real pains in the ass sometimes.

Yeah i'd be happy with just the JP version of the Saturn game (MM8 that is). I'm surprised they didnt use the Saturn version in the collection, since its more of a complete game.

Yeah i'd be happy with just the JP version of the Saturn game (MM8 that is). I'm surprised they didnt use the Saturn version in the collection, since its more of a complete game.

It does seem odd choosing the Playstation version for the Collection. I'm guessing it was just easier for Capcom to port the Playstation version perhaps?

I played the first one for the first time a few months ago, I can't say the controls hold up, and the game is really hard. I guess it just depends, but I heard the sequel holds up fine.
Legends 1 isn't that difficult. The controls can make it a pain in the royal butt, though. Fighting the goons at City Hall was way harder than it would be with a dual-analog system.

I'm surprised: the U.S. actually did get the Saturn version of 8. Limited quantities, of course, which would explain why few people ever mention it.

Legends 2 has a dual-thumbstick setup as one of the options. Makes playing it much easier.
That's not Legends 1, though.

Legends 2 has definitely aged better in terms of mechanics. Legends 1 simply has more charm, better story structure, and a ton of dialogue and charm within Kattleox that hasn't been replicated in MM since.

Sciz

This was a rumor I heard a very long time ago, but I heard in Mega Man X1 if you do enough damage to Vile's Ride Armor in the intro stage, you can blow off his arm. Is this true?

I remember using a Game Genie code at one point to make regular shots ridiculously powerful. He'll slide back further and further on hit the stronger the attack gets, but no amount of power will do any damage.

Slermy

It does seem odd choosing the Playstation version for the Collection. I'm guessing it was just easier for Capcom to port the Playstation version perhaps?

That was the reasoning. The classic titles 1-6 were also based on the Playstation releases, hence the addition of Navi mode.

I'm surprised: the U.S. actually did get the Saturn version of 8. Limited quantities, of course, which would explain why few people ever mention it.

I dunno, usually when I think of MMX4 and MM8, I think of the Sega Saturn versions first.

But then the Saturn was my main console during those years, so...

That was the reasoning. The classic titles 1-6 were also based on the Playstation releases, hence the addition of Navi mode.
It also allowed them to use the PlayStation port music, which was quite fun to hear. They actually used a track from one of the arcade games for Wily Stage 1 in the original game's port: the track was originally attributed to the Yellow Devil stage in the arcade game.

It did. I own it. Managed to snag it for $25 CIB off of eBay in 2006. I daren't imagine how pricey it is now.

I'd sure love a box for my copy of Saturn MMX4, too, but eh.

Fun fact! The Saturn version of X4 has looping music. I don't mean "stops and starts over where the PlayStation version does", I mean actual, seamless loops. (Well, my copy skips a little bit, particularly with Dr. Light's theme; might need resurfacing.) In addition, the fight with Eregion and the second theme for Frost Walrus have 2-3 seconds of additional audio added to the beginning of the track. Also, the second Sky Lagoon stage and both of Magma Dragoon's stages have warping backgrounds. Downside is that polygonal transparencies are mesh transparencies instead of actual transparencies - although this is limited to the searchlights in Sky Lagoon and Storm Owl's weapon for X, AFAIK, it's still kind of ugly. (Other transparencies work fine AFAIK - the water is still see-through and tinted blue, for instance.)

OmegaZero

I want to say I remember hearing it might have had something to do with him being based in Canada, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

I know X's VA actually did retire, though.

Noi

I want to say I remember hearing it might have had something to do with him being based in Canada, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Gatha X will never be forgotten. My one regret over MHX not becoming a series is we didn't get to hear more of it. :(

Nearly all gaming corporations deal with voice-acting studios rather than individual actors, which means he's probably at a studio they're not working with at the moment.

Qurupeke

Pretty much no chance.

They're more likely to destroy the source code than release it on the eShop.

Probably not. I'd say the fact that they've had more than a year to release it and have chosen not to means it's never going to happen.

Hell, it would be nice if they'd even give us the 3DS Virtual Console versions of Rockman 1-3 outside of Japan, but... nope.

Meh, really bad. :( I really wanted that demo. :( Well, IF Capcom revive the project, the demo should be revived too. They can't keep it cancelled forever...Right? :(

Kokonoe

Banned
I remember using a Game Genie code at one point to make regular shots ridiculously powerful. He'll slide back further and further on hit the stronger the attack gets, but no amount of power will do any damage.

Ah, I guess it wasn't true then. Every time I play MMX1, I always attempt to do the most damage by jumping over his attacks over and over while firing charge shots in hope something will happen.

hiryu64

Ah, I guess it wasn't true then. Every time I play MMX1, I always attempt to do the most damage by jumping over his attacks over and over while firing charge shots in hope something will happen.

lol, sounds like one of those playground rumors that were always flying around during the pre-Internet days. I similarly thought that you could take the ride armor into a boss room. My older sister told me that she did it in Sting Chameleon's level by going through some arcane ritual to transform it into a monkey variant so that it would fit through the boss door. Me being like 6 at the time, I believed her.

So many hours wasted...

Then again, some of the game's actual features were so bizarrely unlocked so as to seem like those silly playground rumors.

Like Dr. Light's Hadouken capsule that only sometimes appears in Armored Armadillo's stage...

Top Bottom