• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Noi

Thanks! Having to blast Zero's face in every time got old pretty fast, heh. Violen 2 is pretty much the reason I hate replaying X2 though, bleh.

X3 is next, then?

Can't wait until you get to X6, Noi. Hahaha.

I'm not even sure if I want to go that far on these runs. I'll give X4 and X5 a whirl, but I might just settle on doing a normal run of X6, haha.

aww i missed the stream :(

Archives should probably be up by tomorrow. Today's stream was kind of last minute, but I'll definitely give a longer notice period for the next one.

I don't think I can listen to the Armoured Armadillo stage music anymore. I think it's great, but I ended up doing some cleaning with MMX in pause mode and ended up listening to it for an hour or so straight. >.>

While Mega Man X has some great design decisions with regards to teaching the player how to get things done, it does some of its unlocking stuff quite strangely, I agree.
I guess it didn't occur to you to mute the tv, you must have been entranced by it's ear worming powers.

Violen 2 is pretty much the reason I hate replaying X2 though, bleh.
If that's the guy who lobs the spike ball around the room in a damn near random pattern then it's possibly one of my most hated bosses in any game ever.

I don't quite get the X series when it comes to bosses, taking from the first 2 games at least it seems like a few bosses really bank on you having all the suit parts and energy tanks in order to actually stand a chance as opposed to those things merely being benefits to tip the odds in your favour. The X hunters that can pop up mid stage in X2 if you seek them out in particular, it's like punishing difficulty to me and not even fun.

Another reason why I prefer classic series thus far.

Back in the day when secrets were secrets, aka easter eggs, and not fucking dlc.

Also pretty sure it's not "sometimes". There's a process to follow.
It's pretty obscure, though. Something like having all the armor parts and tanks, having all the tanks full, and then repeatedly going to the spot in question like nine or something times... it's incredibly contrived, whatever it actually is.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If that's the guy who lobs the spike ball around the room in a damn near random pattern then it's possibly one of my most hated bosses in any game ever.

I don't quite get the X series when it comes to bosses, taking from the first 2 games at least it seems like a few bosses really bank on you having all the suit parts and energy tanks in order to actually stand a chance as opposed to those things merely being benefits to tip the odds in your favour. The X hunters that can pop up mid stage in X2 if you seek them out in particular, it's like punishing difficulty to me and not even fun.

Noi was following my recommendation on a no heart tanks, no subtanks, no boss weapons, no upgrades run. Yes, Violen 2's spiked ball kills you in three hits. No, it's not impossible at all. I've done it, and Noi did it last night.

Contrary to what you say, X1-4 are perfectly beatable without anything. So is X5, but it's harder. Once you leave the world of abusing weaknesses you enter the world of figuring out patterns and executing a corresponding strategy. Megaman X is much more of an action game than you seem to think.

Teknoman

Noi was following my recommendation on a no heart tanks, no subtanks, no boss weapons, no upgrades run. Yes, Violen 2's spiked ball kills you in three hits. No, it's not impossible at all. I've done it, and Noi did it last night.

Contrary to what you say, X1-4 are perfectly beatable without anything. So is X5, but it's harder. Once you leave the world of abusing weaknesses you enter the world of figuring out patterns and executing a corresponding strategy. Megaman X is much more of an action game than you seem to think.

I usually have to do a little of both, since alot of the time I cant figure out weaknesses, the first go around anyway.

I know we're talking challenges here, but I don't think I've ever played a MM game without using the boss weapons - well, at least on the bosses. It just seems like I'm ignoring one of the coolest aspects of the game, like playing an RPG where I could use spells, but I'm just gonna beat it with my wooden sword instead. I usually ended up learning the patterns and such by scrambling around, trying not to get hit long enough to figure out which weapon worked best.

I do think it's awesome to have games so well constructed that there's room to challenge yourself in various ways with the possibility to still succeed. Those are my favorite types of games, and the choices given to the player at least in the classic and X series are a large part of why I love them so much.

Noi

Not at all! This applies more so for X1-3, but every normal Maverick is designed to be perfectly beatable with no armor upgrades or subweapons. It's only when you get to the fortress stages that the difficulty increases exponentially, since those are designed with the assumption that you, at the least, found a few armor upgrades and are using subweapons, but it's still perfectly doable with skill and a little elbow grease (or thumb grease, in this case). Violen 2 is just... one of those bosses that are great in idea, but terrible in execution. But you shouldn't let one boss turn you off from the whole X series in general.

In any case, the archive for my run is already up. Total runtime, 7 hours 23 minutes. It's pretty much ~2 hours on the Maverick stages and the rest on the X-Hunter stages. I've already got a youtube upload going, though I don't know when that'll be done.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The only real difference between X1-3 and X4 is the inclusion of one boss that requires a boss weapon to do damage.

I seem to have poorly worded whatever the hell I was saying back there, time for damage control.

Well I should start by saying that I never claimed anything to be impossible, i'm aware of no damage runs not just in this game but many others and i'm very sure it can be done (hell you have done it, though i'd stand by Violen 2 being captain curveball in this event even if you know everything there is to know about the bosses, that spike ball bouncing off the blocks looks like quite the crapshoot to my untrained eye).
I think maybe i'd present my point better if I said that I felt these games had a bit of Metroid like angle going on except not so strong where you can feasibly handle things with minimal (or no) pickups provided you're good enough but the various upgrades and health bar increasing items are there as a central component to how these games play out compared to Classic where it's pretty much just a limited amount of energy tanks, I guess i'm just not good enough to whup the few difficulty spike bosses within, I feel far more capable as barebones buster only Mega Man in the Classic series while here I feel that if I don't want to get punched to bits in seconds trying to learn the pattern recognition it's in my best interests to be suited up.

Believe me, I know X is more of an action game, if anything that's my gripe, difficulty seems far focused on bosses and mid stage encounters while the stages take a back seat by comparison, not that I can judge further than X2 right now, just count me a bit disappointed in that regard as while these games are all action platformers i've felt a bit ho-hum about the platforming side of things presented so far after the original games.

Not at all! This applies more so for X1-3, but every normal Maverick is designed to be perfectly beatable with no armor upgrades or subweapons. It's only when you get to the fortress stages that the difficulty increases exponentially, since those are designed with the assumption that you, at the least, found a few armor upgrades and are using subweapons, but it's still perfectly doable with skill and a little elbow grease (or thumb grease, in this case). Violen 2 is just... one of those bosses that are great in idea, but terrible in execution. But you shouldn't let one boss turn you off from the whole X series in general.

In any case, the archive for my run is already up. Total runtime, 7 hours 23 minutes. It's pretty much ~2 hours on the Maverick stages and the rest on the X-Hunter stages. I've already got a youtube upload going, though I don't know when that'll be done.

I'm not actually turned off the series, it's just a matter of getting around to them, mavericks aren't usually a problem and feel far more graspable though if it amuses anyone I can say that Sting Chameleon was wailing on me quite a bit earlier this year, took me long enough to formulate an effective strategy.
Oh and Crystal Snail, tried with the Mega Buster, it felt like the slog to end all slogs and that shell hits hard.
Armour upgrades are hidden in such a way that they're not too tricky to find so which is good, but I do think the one in Morph Moth's stage was pretty damn silly, was there even any indication for that hidden passage? because I had to succumb to a guide for that one.

Ifrit

Armour upgrades are hidden in such a way that they're not too tricky to find so which is good, but I do think the one in Morph Moth's stage was pretty damn silly, was there even any indication for that hidden passage? because I had to succumb to a guide for that one.

I found it using the helmet upgrade the first time. The helmet upgrade isn't really hard to find btw

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I think maybe i'd present my point better if I said that I felt these games had a bit of Metroid like angle going on except not so strong where you can feasibly handle things with minimal (or no) pickups provided you're good enough but the various upgrades and health bar increasing items are there as a central component to how these games play out compared to Classic where it's pretty much just a limited amount of energy tanks, I guess i'm just not good enough to whup the few difficulty spike bosses within, I feel far more capable as barebones buster only Mega Man in the Classic series while here I feel that if I don't want to get punched to bits in seconds trying to learn the pattern recognition it's in my best interests to be suited up.
If you didn't have to learn anything then it would just be a snore. Sometimes you actually have to put in a bit of effort yourself to win, and that's also what makes it satisfying.

Is there anything wrong with that? As a gamer, you don't have a right to be free from death.

Not really, I just feel that bosses are a lot stronger in these games compared to the older ones while the stages are simpler, I mean that's not a problem in itself but I don't necessarily like it as much.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Not really, I just feel that bosses are a lot stronger in these games compared to the older ones while the stages are simpler, I mean that's not a problem in itself but I don't necessarily like it as much.
See, now that I can understand. I actually do agree that the classic Megaman games put a much greater emphasis on platforming, but at the same time I don't really miss some of the bullshit Capcom would pull in that regard.

Also, some classic Megaman bosses were total assholes too. A lot of them just died instantly when you had their weakness.

See, now that I can understand. I actually do agree that the classic Megaman games put a much greater emphasis on platforming, but at the same time I don't really miss some of the bullshit Capcom would pull in that regard.

Also, some classic Megaman bosses were total assholes too. A lot of them just died instantly when you had their weakness.

Ah right, i've finally phrased things in way that apparently works, it was getting a bit frustrating for me there if i'm honest.
I guess it's nice to not hear the whirring of magnetic blocks phasing in and out for a change when playing MMX, i'd like to see more stages like Storm Eagle's though with pits to fall down, moving plaforms and so on.

Classic MM bosses I find much easier for various reasons aside from weapon weaknesses, I guess they don't hit as hard (except the guys who try their best to run into you) and Robot Masters have far simpler attack patterns so even just the mega buster is more than good enough even if you're not that great, just the way I like it, call me cowardly but i'll gladly just metal blade a boss to bits in seconds and carry on the platforming.
The whole finale of MM9 though, that I found pretty tough, I consider it my favourite classic style game and i've only actually beaten it once, I probably have a whole row of save files up to the Wily Castle stages since I tend to rarely bother with the Wily gauntlet knowing what awaits me at the end, it's probably not even as hard as I remember.

Just a silly, random thing I thought I'd toss this in here. I've been collecting classic Marvel comics for a while, came across the first dozen issues of Nova, and I'm really just flabbergasted by this cover. it's so begging to be shopped somehow.

4x4wQ.jpg

Even funnier when you consider Nova's UMvC3 ending. I can't help but wonder if it was intentional or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNbFIFRkt-A

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
tbqh the only terrible part in X6 is being accidentally trapped in Metal Shark Player's secret path.

Noi

I can't imagine doing a barebones run of X6 without getting pretty mad, tbh.

Normal runs of X6 (and some stages in X5) get me mad, let alone attempting a barebones run.
KuGsj.gif
But we'll see if I feel ballsy enough to do after X4/5.

I'll probably do streams for the classic series as well, though they may or may not be buster-only runs. I've done MM1 Buster-Only before without using any continues (reaching 1M on the score meter the first time was pretty incredible), but I'm not that big a fan of the games that added in the charge shot and slide. MM9 and 10 ditching those made me like 'em way more than the rest.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't really like MM1 all that much. It's from the era when developers could be assholes and its slower pace doesn't help me reach an adequate level of satisfaction. MM2 and 3 I enjoy much more because the gameplay is more developed and polished. Even though they are both still pretty hard, I have more fun with them.

I can't help but love MM4 though. It's the only one I feel actual nostalgia for, because even though I knew of the franchise as a kid from gaming mags and elsewhere--including that silly MM2 novelization--MM4 was the only game I actually played through back then. It's also the game that introduces the direction MMX would take much like X4 starting what would be MMZ.

As for going buster only, I know I've done MM4-6. I kinda remember doing MM2 but I'm not certain. I do remember getting stuck on the extra tall copy bosses in MM3 though.

SkyOdin

I actually like MM1, mostly because I really like the boss weapon selection. Compared to other Mega Man and X games, the boss weapons in MM1 really surprised me with how all-around useful most of them are.

For most of my early years playing Mega Man titles, I mostly ignored using boss weapons except to exploit boss weaknesses. It grew out of my "what if I need it later" mentality, the same think that keeps me from using elixirs in Final Fantasy games. I also got my start playing Mega Man games seriously with Mega Man 4 and Mega Man X, where the main characters have access to the flashy and powerful charged attacks. As such, I never got in the habit of using boss weapons in regular stages. After all, they aren't needed most of the time.

Going through Wily's Fortress in Mega Man 1 was what really pushed me to try using boss weapons more regularly. I learned how to use the Ice Slasher to freeze Big Eyes mid-air, so that I could walk right under them. I learned how crazy powerful the Thunder Beam and Fire Storm could be, and how useful the Rolling Cutter was. It was a real eye-opener for me. To be honest, these days, I find using boss weapons to their maximum ability to be more fun than limited, buster-only runs.

In comparison, it is really frustrating how useless boss weapons are in some games, particularly X games. I have been re-playing X5 over the last couple of days, and the boss weapons in that game are almost all useless. Most of the weapons do only as much damage as X's regular uncharged shots. The F-Laser's loss of movement control also has a tendency to get X killed, making it more malicious than useful. The only good weapons are the Tri-Thunder, the Spike Ball, and the Ground Fire, and that is presuming that the enemies aren't arbitrarily immune to them. The Dark Hold does have some usefulness when dealing with traps, though.

Going through Wily's Fortress in Mega Man 1 was what really pushed me to try using boss weapons more regularly. I learned how to use the Ice Slasher to freeze Big Eyes mid-air, so that I could walk right under them. I learned how crazy powerful the Thunder Beam and Fire Storm could be, and how useful the Rolling Cutter was. It was a real eye-opener for me. To be honest, these days, I find using boss weapons to their maximum ability to be more fun than limited, buster-only runs.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking to finally beat Mega Man 1-6 this weekend.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't have anything particularly against using boss weapons in the classic series. I was primarily curious if the same methodology carried over. X1, X2, and X4 have a useful set of weapons, but I haven't really played X3 or X5 normally so I can't comment on those.

hiryu64

The only Classic Mega Man game I feel that every boss weapon was useful was 9. Only game where I was regularly using every weapon within a single level. Really, that entire game just felt like the pinnacle of MM design-wise to me. 10 was good, but 9 was just too tough of an act to follow.

Noi

The battle with gate was a giant PITA

6a00c2251e4dc58e1d0110180288b0860e.jpg
?

I mostly like MM1 cause it's kinda the roughest in design, though I do agree there are some dumb parts to it. Then again, after fighting Zero/Sigma for hours last night, it's safe to say that I have masochistic tendencies when it comes to games.
KuGsj.gif

The only Classic Mega Man game I feel that every boss weapon was useful was 9. Only game where I was regularly using every weapon within a single level.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Some games have useless weapons, some have good ones, but 9 is the only one in which all of them are pretty good.

The battle with gate was a giant PITA

And so was everything about the modifications the nightmares did to the levels.

SkyOdin

Touching on both lines of discussion across the last few posts, I would rate the Gate fight in Mega Man X6 as significantly less tedious than the Yellow Devil in Mega Man 1. Nothing in any Mega Man game took me as much time and frustration to beat, particularly considering how long the fight itself is. When I finally did figure out the trick to beating the Yellow Devil, I ended up spending the rest of the day beating the rest of Wily's Fortress, just so I wouldn't have to fight that ball of slime again. I am somewhat envious of those players who could cheat their past the thing.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
You know what to do during the X3 stream then. ;)
I'm going to have to replay X4 and X5 before you get to them to remind myself how to do everything. Around the time I was first doing these runs I thought about writing an FAQ because all the people on GameFAQs dIdn't know what they were talking about. Seriously, they were all utterly useless except for weapon matching and item locations.

.......buuut I never did. Neither did I make videos. Partially because those were shortly after tackling X1 though X6 just to beat them and I did X2 last. By Sigma my thumb was locking up in pain and there are mistakes in my CyberSigma vid because of that. That was several years ago and the base of my right thumb still feels off.

I do remember X4 Sigma pretty well though. Recenly helped a friend beat him on a Zero run.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've gotten a shoulder massage to the tune of this BGM.
well....that sounds umm intense if anything.

Touching on both lines of discussion across the last few posts, I would rate the Gate fight in Mega Man X6 as significantly less tedious than the Yellow Devil in Mega Man 1. Nothing in any Mega Man game took me as much time and frustration to beat, particularly considering how long the fight itself is. When I finally did figure out the trick to beating the Yellow Devil, I ended up spending the rest of the day beating the rest of Wily's Fortress, just so I wouldn't have to fight that ball of slime again. I am somewhat envious of those players who could cheat their past the thing.

I knew earlier on I was missing something regarding the more aggravating bosses of the original games, the yellow devil and his equally devilish follow ups are such a drag, even when you know the pattern they take a long time to go down, not something I ever look forward to, it's like a twisted tradition that Capcom just love going to back to.
Coming to think of it, I never did beat the Yellow Devil in powered up.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Few things in the entire Megaman franchise are as bad as the Yellow Devil. Even X5's Shadow Devil was slightly easier.

Actually there may be hope of him making it into the Sony game since Seth Killian received some kind of package from Capcom the other day and posted images of it on his twitter. Sad thing is I don't think that what they sent him had anything to do with Mega Man even if it was for that game...it had Akuma's symbol on it.

Da pic

Don't mean to break your heart, guy, but all this is the street fighter 25th anniversary set.

Sorry again

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
MMX4 soundtrack is so underrated. Infact whole game is, second best in the series imo.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yellow Devil with buster only is asking yourself to suffer and by the end of it you'll never have trouble with another Yellow Devil.

I can do it in my sleep now but I'd rather not spend 20 minutes fighting him everytime so I use Elec Beam.

Boney

Banned
Yellow Devil's fine with me, but I can understand how tedious it is to work out the bugger's pattern the first time you get to him.

It's a pretty big wall the first time you run up to him, but after that he's a piece of cake, seeing it's just a small pattern over and over.

Doesn't the pattern also change if you get hit just to be that much more of a hassle?
I don't know, I just post here.

In all seriousness: I avoid that entirely because I've got the pattern quite nicely. If something does go wrong, I usually wait and die or I quickly adjust. It's not the hardest boss battle I've yet played.

I don't know, I just post here.

In all seriousness: I avoid that entirely because I've got the pattern quite nicely. If something does go wrong, I usually wait and die or I quickly adjust. It's not the hardest boss battle I've yet played.

WELL FIND SOMEONE WHO DOES KNOW AND BRING 'EM 'ERE!
I WANT THAT DAMN DEVIL DEAD YA HEAR ME! DEEEEEAAAAAAAD!

I imagine it's all easy peasy when you know the deal considering its entire game plan revolves around that and nothing else. Maybe i'll bother to learn it one day and finish off powered up...
I wont.

Top Bottom