• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Rhapsody

Banned
I sat down and beat all of X7 in one sitting today on stream. I hadn't touched X7 since I was a kid and unable to beat the final boss.

...Man, that game deserves it's crown of worst in the whole franchise. At least X6 still has the PS1-style gameplay.

I remember looking for X7 since I didn't own it and wanted to try it for the heck of it. When I finally got it, I don't think I even made it past the first stage. I knew the game was bad, but the controls were awful. I managed to beat Sonic '06, but this, I wasn't prepared for.

Noi

I remember looking for X7 since I didn't own it and wanted to try it for the heck of it. When I finally got it, I don't think I even made it past the first stage. I knew the game was bad, but the controls were awful. I managed to beat Sonic '06, but this, I wasn't prepared for.

I'd say it boils down to familiar gameplay. Both X6 and Sonic '06, as fuckin' awful as they are, still play like a normal MM title/normal 3D sonic respectively. Though then again, even the 2D sections in X7 are garbage cause of the forced lock-on system on X and Axl, so even the sections that should be better in theory are garbage.

Well, at least now I can say that I've beaten every X game sans Command Mission, which I plan to get through this summer.

qq more

I can't believe how messed up the 2D segments were in X7. You have enemies flying from the background or away from the foreground so you can't harm them at times (this happened in Flame Hyenard's stage). The wall climbing was awful, especially if you're holding the dash button (you can't hop onto the platform you're climbing on until you let go of the dash button).

Godddddd

Nose Master

Got up to Wily 4 in a MM10 Mr. Perfect run, stopped for the night. I'm really not looking forward to that stage. It was the only part of the run I was worried about being able to do. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good luck on your Mr. Perfect Run, Nose Master. I... can't do it. No matter how much Noi tries to talk me into it.

Well, at least now I can say that I've beaten every X game sans Command Mission, which I plan to get through this summer.
If you're going through Command Mission this summer, let me know and I'll play through it along with you. I have only played through that one once and I can't really recall much about it in terms of stats and balancing since it's one of those games were I just went through it for the sake of doing so and not really paying much attention to attributes like I normally do.

It's also because my hiatus from playing RPGs should come to an end. I think it's about darn time I went back to 'em (and I should really finish Tales of Xillia 2 at the very least). However, these last few months of playing platformers/very little RPGs have truly done me a lot of good.

As much as I love RPGs, I agree that sometimes it is best to take a break and enjoy something else. The same could be said for most genres, though.

I'd like to get my hands on Command Mission as well. Others describing it as built similarly to a Breath of Fire game makes me think it'd actually be tolerable. The only thing I love more than quality action/platformers are RPGs, but at the same time the only Mega Man series I actively started then abandoned was the X series, so...

Nose Master

Played some Rockman and Forte today. Completely forgot how fucking weird that game is. It feels like a fan-game based off of MM8. I completely hated the way it felt at first , but it's growing on me. The layout of most of the levels and pacing of the game really feels like it was made with Bass in mind, and having Megaman be playable was an afterthought, or something.

I miss cool, equippable upgrades that you get via screws. They were so useless in MM9/10.

Played some Rockman and Forte today. Completely forgot how fucking weird that game is. It feels like a fan-game based off of MM8. I completely hated the way it felt at first , but it's growing on me. The layout of most of the levels and pacing of the game really feels like it was made with Bass in mind, and having Megaman be playable was an afterthought, or something.

I miss cool, equippable upgrades that you get via screws. They were so useless in MM9/10.

Well that is no surprise if you have a game where Bass is playable he's obviously going to be the best character so you should design the game around him.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now that's an avatar quote if I ever saw one. :p

I was discussing this with someone a few months ago, and we basically ended up saying the same thing. The game seems to be more balanced for Bass in terms of the level design, and the bosses seem to be balanced more in favour of Mega Man, I felt (since the Mega Buster's stronger than the Bass Buster despite the Bass Buster being multidirectional and you can rapid fire it... and Mega Man takes less damage than Bass does). Actually, that person's doing a 100% playthrough of MMnB right now, which I linked earlier and in the Pokecapn/LP thread. He played Rockman and Forte: Mirai Kara no Chousensha for the Wonderswan one day and that ended up being a wonderful, terrible, and hilarious disaster.

I do love MMnB's music, though. It's pretty darn catchy, like Intro Stage, Cold Man, Ground Man, Pirate Man, and King Tower. Really love the bass channel utilization in this game, but I shouldn't be surprised given the year it came out.

I also miss cool shit in MM9/10. I actually miss a lot of things that were either omitted or repurposed in MM9/10. :/

Now that's an avatar quote if I ever saw one. :p

You have to understand I've been using this name for over 10 years back when I was a little boy first discovering the joys of Internet message boards. It was actually looking for mega man and bass gba CDs that lead me to create an account on gamefaqs and the rest is history. Bass has always been my favorite character since the first time I played mega man 7 when I was like 5 or 6. You have no idea how much I freaked out when I saw mm&b for the first time in Nintendo Power.

Nose Master

Is it just cold man, or does hitstun last like 5x as long during boss fights w bass? That shit is ridiculousssss.

I'm kind of shocked you like the music, tbh. It sounds like elevator music most of the time. Probably my least favorite mm music I've heard.

I think the GBA port of MM&B might actually have been my first Mega Man game.

Game really could've used some E-Tanks, but it was a'ight.

qq more

I don't remember much of King's Castle beyond an autoscrolling boss that I really hated.

Yep, that's from King's Castle 2.

ALSO I LOVE HOW IF YOU GET A GAME OVER YOU HAVE TO DO EVERYTHING OVER

Yay game overed and I'm forced to beat the bosses I've already beaten that aren't the Robot Master rematches! FUN

I tolerate it cause I can play with my boy Bass in it, but it's the worst level in any Mega Man game I've ever played, the only competition it has is JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

Nose Master

I tolerate it cause I can play with my boy Bass in it, but it's the worst level in any Mega Man game I've ever played, the only competition it has is JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE

I played MM8 in front of my dad once, and for a solid week he made fun of the voice acting every time he walked by. It was pretty great.

jump jump slide slide was great

SkyOdin

To be honest, my least favorite level in the Mega Man series might be Plug Man's Stage. That one stupid Met on that platform after the first(?) set of disappearing blocks was the bane of my existence. I loathe that Met. It was the first stage I tried in the game, too. Even the compactor from X6 didn't kill me as much as that one Met did.

No one fucking likes King's Castle 2.

No one.

No one.

If anyone does, they need to explain why they do because it's structured so poorly. Good loooord.

Why couldn't it be separated into multiple stages? Whyyyyyy? What fucking need was there to have EXACTLY 3 castle levels when most other castles in the series have like 4 or 5 AND another castle or just a final level not shown in the map.

Seriously, the way it is is fucking awful, but imagine this.

King 1 = Tank Boss
King 2 = Jet Boss
King 3 = King
King 4 = Giant King mecha thing
Wily stage

That way it's both actually tolerable AND awesome because it's not longer such a fucking chore to reach the giant mecha thing souring your feelings on everything.

Nose Master

Streaming Mr. Perfect, Wily Stage 4 atm. Gotten to Wily twice so far, and choked both times. I can beat him no problem in challenge mode, though. I'm going to be going until I get this achievement or collapse.

EDIT: Ugh. Beat Wily 4 relatively easily (only took 30 minutes, maybe?) but I can't for the life of me get Wily Capsule past half health before getting hit. It's infuriating. The alternating between floor and slightly above head height of the giant green plasma ball trips me up every fucking time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I fucking did it! Wheeeee~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNPjeIamsck
I was playing as Bass.
Damn, congrats! I don't think I'd be able to do it, like ever. I don't have the patience for it. But you owned it. Good job.

I wonder if Noi's going to continue his attempt at Mr. Perfect one day.

Why couldn't it be separated into multiple stages? Whyyyyyy? What fucking need was there to have EXACTLY 3 castle levels when most other castles in the series have like 4 or 5 AND another castle or just a final level not shown in the map.

Seriously, the way it is is fucking awful, but imagine this.

King 1 = Tank Boss
King 2 = Jet Boss
King 3 = King
King 4 = Giant King mecha thing
Wily stage

That way it's both actually tolerable AND awesome because it's not longer such a fucking chore to reach the giant mecha thing souring your feelings on everything.
I get the feeling that they wanted to make the stages seamless enough so that you see how the end-boss for Jet King Robo develops. Problem with this is that it doesn't allow for adequate tension-building and release (apologies for using an RPG type of term, but you get the idea), nor does it allow for the player to have a reprieve between stages before getting to go again. Part of the intent may have been to make the player test his or her endurance for a final stage for a change.

But it's dumb! When other fortresses have 4-5 stages and it makes the pacing / tension build-up & release so much better in those games, why bother making this asinine design decision? The level ends up feeling like it outstays its welcome because it's so long rather than feeling like it's at the right length for the player to go through. Having several bosses doesn't help matters at all, especially considering some of their design decisions for them.

Refyref

Congratulations! I've never bothered to do a perfect run, so hats off for the effort.

---

I feel so festive now. Here's a link to a remix of my favorite track from Mega Man V GB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV-ctIhYoKo

It's a pretty low-key remix, but I like it.

Nice remix.

Speaking of which, I recently replayed a little of all the GB/C MM games. They were a nice try of compacting the NES games. (Except MMII, that game is so terrible, what happened there?)
V was a pretty decent original game too. I like it more, of course, due to being an original game, but it's sometimes nice to play some "lower quality" (tech wise) versions of games, just to experience the difference.
Pretty much the same with the Xtreme games. The first was a nice conversation of X to the GBC. (And a million times better than the iOS "port" :p) The second was a fun original game.
And that's it for my unrelated ramblings! :p

I get the feeling that they wanted to make the stages seamless enough so that you see how the end-boss for Jet King Robo develops. Problem with this is that it doesn't allow for adequate tension-building and release (apologies for using an RPG type of term, but you get the idea), nor does it allow for the player to have a reprieve between stages before getting to go again. Part of the intent may have been to make the player test his or her endurance for a final stage for a change.

But it's dumb! When other fortresses have 4-5 stages and it makes the pacing / tension build-up & release so much better in those games, why bother making this asinine design decision? The level ends up feeling like it outstays its welcome because it's so long rather than feeling like it's at the right length for the player to go through. Having several bosses doesn't help matters at all, especially considering some of their design decisions for them.

Well, iirc the level itself is actually relatively short, it's the fucking boss rush that's the problem because correct me if I'm wrong, but there are not too many screens between bosses.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, iirc the level itself is actually relatively short, it's the fucking boss rush that's the problem because correct me if I'm wrong, but there are not too many screens between bosses.
Well, that's the thing. The level itself doesn't allow for the player to have adequate time to release tension or have a reprieve. It just feels like a constant boss rush, and the bosses aren't exactly designed that well in the first place.

L Thammy

In terms of art-style and target audience it is, at least.

That looks like generic henshin hero fare, completely unrelated to Mega Man in gameplay and subject matter. Go to Google Image Search and look for Shurato or Saint Seiya.

So... yeah, not Mega Man.

That looks like generic henshin hero fare, completely unrelated to Mega Man in gameplay and subject matter. Go to Google Image Search and look for Shurato or Saint Seiya.

Well, to be fair Capcom did specifically promote it as a combination of MM and MonHun.

Rhapsody

Banned
Been randomly going through some old Mega Man games lately. Seeing Legends and ZX, I liked the idea of the whole underground ruins as an open-world area and ZX's (poorly attempted) Metroid-like areas. I'm a little surprised they never made a Mega Man series that focused on those aspects greatly instead of having it kind of like an afterthought.

SkyOdin

To be honest, Mega Man ZX and Star Force were already henshin hero fare. Mega Man as a whole has its roots in silly 70s/80s anime, like the original Casshern.

I mean, you can't argue that Mega Man is unrelated to Saint Seiya when there is a series of three Mega Man games about young people transforming into superheroes themed after constellations.

I suppose you know you're a hopeless fanboy when you spend 2 hours replaying the first 8 stages of a MM game to figure out the order you enjoy the most.

Getting stoked for the back half of May. It's been at least 15 years since I've really played MM5.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
With people posting more often I have to ask...

Would it be possible to shorten the thread title a bit? It kinda messes up the mobile site subscription page on my kindle. Not really interested in messing with a good thing, but if it's doable that'd be great.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sorry, qq more, I'm playing Xtreme 1 and I can kinda see Schala's viewpoint here on the music. Xtreme 2's OST is much better composed than this, also the gameplay in Xtreme 1 isn't as solid as in Xtreme 2, and there's also slowdown in Xtreme 1 at times which is kind of annoying. Not entirely bad or anything, but take a listen of these two.

Storm Eagle - Xtreme 1

VS

Wire Sponge -Xtreme 2

-

Chill Penguin - Xtreme 1

VS

Overdrive Ostrich - Xtreme 2

And the glorious song from Xtreme 2 that's better than the original

and bonus

Flame Mammoth - Xtreme 2

With people posting more often I have to ask...

Would it be possible to shorten the thread title a bit? It kinda messes up the mobile site subscription page on my kindle. Not really interested in messing with a good thing, but if it's doable that'd be great.

I'll try to think of something, but I did kinda like how it turned out after thinking for a bit what would be a good title.

Xtreme 2 is way better then Xtreme 1 and its not even close. The simple fact that Xtreme 2 lets you use Zero as a main character makes it the superior game

So back to Mega Man 1 and finishing it, more thoughts for Wily Stages

Wily 1 > Wily 4 > Wily 2 > Wily 3 in terms of difficulty. Wily 1 has a lot of annoying segments and the fight with the hardest boss in the game the Yellow Devil. Beating him without exploiting the pause trick is more a test of patience and endurance then any real skill. Once you figure out how to dodge his room flying attack (which isn't that hard of a pattern to learn) it just takes forever.

Wily 4 is only really annoying because you have to run a gauntlet of 4/6 Robot Masters before you get a check point and unlike later games there are no healing chances during these 4 fights. Guts Man is incredibly annoying without the added benefit of a ledge to help dodge his rock attacks and the bomb is by far the most worthless weapon in the game.

Wily 2 is mostly annoying thanks to all the pit falls and the flying enemies that always seem to knock you into them -.- elec mans weapon saves the day here for sure. The battle against copy man is pretty easy if you use the fire weapon. Even if he dodges your shot he'll jump into the fire circle and take damage.

Wily 3 mostly has a noob trap boss where if you waste all 4 of the guts bolders at the start you get stuck having to kill the 3 hardest bubbles with your arm buster which is more annoying the difficult.

Wily himself is disappointingly easy in this game, fire rips apart his first form in a few seconds and his second form is more annoying because of how much damage his shots due and the fact none of your weapons do a lot of damage. Cutter is the best weapon for his second form as it can hit 3 times and will usually hit even if you shoot it at a sub-optimal level thansk to dodging his one attack.

Overall the original Mega Man is still a very fun game, it feels like a first rough step out the door that would become the polished master pieces that are MM2 and MM3. Having no way to heal in the inventory means you have to actually dodge your opponents attacks as opposed to just tanking them and chugging e-drinks which I do appreciate. It's funny how both enemies and Mega Man do way less damage in later games, but you have access to full healing items at any point which make the later games way easier.

qq more

Eh? I never thought highly of Xtreme 1's music, though. It's alright, it sounds kind of weak in spots but felt it was listenable. Xtreme 2 sounds soooo much better. That Wire Sponge theme...

I also like Blast Hornet's or whatever his name was theme. I think they based it off of the PS1 version of the song judging by the intro.

Xtreme 2 is way better then Xtreme 1 and its not even close. The simple fact that Xtreme 2 lets you use Zero as a main character makes it the superior game

And the shop system that lets you upgrade both characters was a fantastic feature.

Top Bottom