• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Community Thread | It's not over yet! -Cancelled- WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOR!?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
qq more, didn't you say you wanted me to suffer through X7?

dsc00607a2uzt.jpg

I remember the announcement that there'd be an 8 one quite a while ago but I never followed its development so I dunno what's up with it.
There certainly is an 8 FC out there, but it's still in beta! There are already playthroughs of it. You know what? It's a freeware fangame, so I'm not opposed to posting a link to it here. Right here, and you want v3.12b.

I'm deeply fond of MM8's stage select theme, so the 8-bit rendition being rather accurate makes me grin like an idiot.

Wait, there is one?
Mmhmm! Again, fangame. You want ver.final2 アーカイブ (heck, better yet: direct). Gameplay here.

It's got the 8-bit NSF-styled stuff (with PxTone, I want to say? Because that isn't raw 8-bit music at all). Auto's shop got cut from the game and there's no intro stage. You don't see Bass until the Wily Stages, either.

Plus going from the physics from the prior MM games to this one made 7 feel... stiff and less responsive? That's the only way I can put it.
Also I think I recall the charge shot being rather weak in 7, but I could be remembering wrong. Things just seemed to not die fast in that game.
I thought it was only me! I was owing the physics modifications to the fact that all of the sprites are bigger, but no, I really do think that the physics have changed a bit because the game feels like it's paced very slowly, and some playable aspects of it feel more sluggish to me.

And the charge shot was nerfed in 7, it feels like. Against regular enemies it feels best to hammer on that Y button rather than hold it down for a charged shot. But out of habit, I tend to charge it up against bosses, which kind of makes a difference in some cases.

Schala echoes what I think of MM7 with a lot more words than I would have used.
Does this surprise you in the slightest, Noi? Haha.

Really want to get a copy of 7, X2, and X3 one day.
Speaking of which, while it's up for grabs, I should grab an SFC copy of X2.

That photo reminds me that I really want the pc version of X8 but don't know if I can even buy it digitally since I don't really want to have to deal with shipping and stuff.

I think for my next endeavor in the world of Mega Man I am going to get the remaining two GameBoy Mega Man titles that I am missing from my collection (III and V). MMIII doesn't seem to be too bad price-wise, but MMV... yeahhhh.

RoeBear

I've beaten Mega Man Zero 1-3. So far I like 3 the most then 1. I really hated 2 for some reason just going into levels seemed to take forever. plus the last boss was way too easy. I can't see wanting to replay 2 almost ever again...

Alright, just finished my buster only run on 5. Game was easier than I remembered, not 4 easy, but still, I managed to beat 7 out of 8 bosses in the boss rush with a single life on my first try and the only reason it wasn't 8 is because when Charge Man gets too close he tends to catch me off guard by speeding up. Wily was a joke in all its forms too.

Still a pretty fun run though.

Alright, just finished my buster only run on 5. Game was easier than I remembered, not 4 easy, but still, I managed to beat 7 out of 8 bosses in the boss rush with a single life on my first try and the only reason it wasn't 8 is because when Charge Man gets too close he tends to catch me off guard by speeding up. Wily was a joke in all its forms too.

Still a pretty fun run though.

One of my favorite things about this series is how fans can have such different impressions of each title.

Personally I find 5 easier than 4. I played it again for the first time in longer than I can recall on 3DS the other day, and aside from forgetting the boss weaknesses for a few minutes it was still like riding a bike. The level design was better than I remembered, especially the castles which were quite well done imo. Also, I recant anything nasty I said about Gravity Man's music, it's grown on me finally :p

It still boils down to the ridiculous range of the charged buster and the banality of most of the weapons for me to put it below many of the other titles.

Honestly, even though I say it‘s harder than 4 it is only barely. Through these replays, only 1 and 3 have held up some of the difficulty I remembered.

I look forward to see how 6 holds up since my nostalgia googles are at its strongest there.

Rhapsody

Banned
I've beaten Mega Man Zero 1-3. So far I like 3 the most then 1. I really hated 2 for some reason just going into levels seemed to take forever. plus the last boss was way too easy. I can't see wanting to replay 2 almost ever again...

I can't remember 2 that much, but I did kind of like the different armor you could get by satisfying requirements. 3's probably the best out of the four because it's the most well-rounded out of the bunch. My only issue was that the game is too easy coming from the first 2.

RoeBear

I can't remember 2 that much, but I did kind of like the different armor you could get by satisfying requirements. 3's probably the best out of the four because it's the most well-rounded out of the bunch. My only issue was that the game is too easy coming from the first 2.

4 is definitely the hardest for me by far. The fact that once you lose your A rank you don't get EX skills is extremely frustrating. Most of the levels almost are impossible for me to complete without losing a life because of the mini bosses or stage bosses strange patterns and hit boxes (bull guy). I wish they did something more similar to ZX where when you killed a boss, and depending on that single boss fight instead of the stage you had more disposable energy for that armor you received, regardless of the rank.

Noi

4 is definitely the hardest for me by far. The fact that once you lose your A rank you don't get EX skills is extremely frustrating. Most of the levels almost are impossible for me to complete without losing a life because of the mini bosses or stage bosses strange patterns and hit boxes (bull guy). I wish they did something more similar to ZX where when you killed a boss, and depending on that single boss fight instead of the stage you had more disposable energy for that armor you received, regardless of the rank.

Huh? 4 isn't like that at all. You get EX Skills for killing bosses in the right weather conditions, rank doesn't matter.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks, I might actually preorder it.

Zero Knuckle makes the game somewhat easy if you know where to use it. I think for the first boss, you can just pull out the wires with it. Zero 4 is the easiest to get EX skills because of what Noi said. I think in Z4, there was only 2 bosses that were legit difficult.

It's been a long time since I've played the game so I might be incorrect on some things. Zero 4 was alright, but way too different. I'd like to see something like the Zero Knuckle in another MM game though. I liked the idea of using weapons from standard enemies.

Tizoc

Schala, I may pester you, but even I wouldn't recommend playing X7.
Unless you are able to see how better a 3D Megaman X game could play after playing it.

Also for qq more, I went and beat Mega Man on Game Boy in a fit of boredom.

...but since it was on the 3DS VC, I abused the crap out of save states. Some of this, I don't know how I'd clear without them.

Shorter than I'd expected. I liked Enker's weapon. Shame I barely got to use it.

Videoneon

Man, you guys don't like X7? What about the political intrigue, and the new and energetic protagonist?

I'm sure a second playthrough will help people to see the light. And if not, repeated playthroughs for additional suffering fun.

Volt Tornado is busted.

@Shadow Hog

Talking about the Wily Stages? There were only six stages in the game, IIRC. The Wily Stages are too damn long though, it's absurd. I believe the 2nd Wily stages also has a disappearing block segment over spikes, so that sucks unless you have great reflexes. I usually like long stages, too, but not that.

qq more

Also for qq more, I went and beat Mega Man on Game Boy in a fit of boredom.

...but since it was on the 3DS VC, I abused the crap out of save states. Some of this, I don't know how I'd clear without them.

Shorter than I'd expected. I liked Enker's weapon. Shame I barely got to use it.

I streamed myself beating the game

Let's just say I swore a lot. Never again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shadow Hog, qq more even swore at me and Bean when he streamed the game.

And for reference, I'm only going through X7 because qq more wants to prove a point to me and I don't think he will.

Man, you guys don't like X7? What about the political intrigue, and the new and energetic protagonist?

I'm sure a second playthrough will help people to see the light. And if not, repeated playthroughs for additional suffering fun.

Volt Tornado is busted.
I'm resuming it later today, but holy shit, Axl sorta sucks. At least X8 takes the bits that weren't broken and turned it into something decent. I do think Soldier Stonekong's stage was the best of the stages I've played so far, while Flame Hyenard makes me want to stab myself in the ear (and I'm not too fond of the bits before him anyway). And I don't really like having to play the game to unlock X. I don't think anyone liked that.

Now, I've played Sonic 06 maybe for two full playthroughs, and half of a playthrough, and I think 06 is more "fun" than this... but I'm going through it alone, eh? Maybe it would be different if I'm going through it with more people or something. Otherwise... hmmm... we'll see.

@Shadow Hog

Talking about the Wily Stages? There were only six stages in the game, IIRC. The Wily Stages are too damn long though, it's absurd. I believe the 2nd Wily stages also has a disappearing block segment over spikes, so that sucks unless you have great reflexes. I usually like long stages, too, but not that.
No, I mean the whole goddamn game. The whole thing is bullshit. I couldn't finish a single stage! Mega Man isn't usually this difficult.

Maybe at some point I'll be able to beat a stage without savestate abuse. Today is not that day.

I streamed myself beating the game

Let's just say I swore a lot. Never again.
Totally understood. :I

Videoneon

No, I mean the whole goddamn game. The whole thing is bullshit. I couldn't finish a single stage! Mega Man isn't usually this difficult.

Maybe at some point I'll be able to beat a stage without savestate abuse. Today is not that day.

Oh. Heh heh. The Robot master stages are long too, now that I think about it. Even MM1's stages were pretty long....but, I don't like that game anyway. There are definitely better GB options though.

I'm resuming it later today, but holy shit, Axl sorta sucks. At least X8 takes the bits that weren't broken and turned it into something decent. I do think Soldier Stonekong's stage was the best of the stages I've played so far, while Flame Hyenard makes me want to stab myself in the ear (and I'm not too fond of the bits before him anyway). And I don't really like having to play the game to unlock X. I don't think anyone liked that.

Yeah in-game Axl sucks. He has one sort of cool alternate weapon, notable for it's strength and decent rate of fire, that he gets from one of the Red Alert bosses, but other than that why bother. And as for X, IIRC you had to find like 50 Reploids or some such bull. It would be slightly less irritating if the required rescue total wasn't so high. I only remember bits and pieces of Soldier Stonekong's stage (it had nice 2D segments I remember? the parts with the spikes, rolling stones, and Moai-like obstacles) but I do remember which one's I hated: most of them.

At least you had comrades in suffering. Thank you, brave souls of MegamanGAF.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah in-game Axl sucks. He has one sort of cool alternate weapon, notable for it's strength and decent rate of fire, that he gets from one of the Red Alert bosses, but other than that why bother. And as for X, IIRC you had to find like 50 Reploids or some such bull. It would be slightly less irritating if the required rescue total wasn't so high. I only remember bits and pieces of Soldier Stonekong's stage (it had nice 2D segments I remember? the parts with the spikes, rolling stones, and Moai-like obstacles) but I do remember which one's I hated: most of them.

At least you had comrades in suffering. Thank you, brave souls of MegamanGAF.
I've actually kept quite a bit of my playthrough of X7 to myself, just because I didn't want qq or anyone else influencing what I wanted to think about the game. qq's having me do this to prove a point to me, and I honestly think he's failed in that regard. Then again, I have another game to go through after this, and it's one that I'm not (shockingly enough to some) very fond of at all. To be honest, I'm dreading it.

It was 64 reploids and up I had to save for X. Complete bs. Soldier Stonekong's stage was the best one of the bunch for those reasons alone. It was the only stage out of any of them that ended up being close a regular old Mega Man stage.

Anyway...

dsc00626s2uot.jpg

Not in a million years.

I've always viewed Mega Man X7 as Capcom's experiment to see if the series would even work in 3D. It's a failing experiment, even if there are some things that could be expanded on and work better (which happened in X8). With that said, I don't think the game is totally horrible? I mean, it's a pretty darn bad game, don't get me wrong. I think Sonic 06 and MMX7 are on equal-footing in terms of their playability (though actually, Sonic 06 might be worse here because of all the glitches, the times Sonic locks up, the controls, mach speed sect---Sonic 06 plays worse). X7 has worse level design and poor control. X7 just isn't as brand-damaging as Sonic 06 was, I don't think. But 06 has that novelty factor associated with it, due in part by decent LPs for it.

X7 did something good: being able to swap characters on-the-fly (as opposed to knocking around in a menu) in a level. Doing this allows the player to be a little more flexible and manage their health a little easier. X8 facilitates this a lot better because X7's level design is pretty bs. So I'm glad they realized to put that in X8.

Auto-aim would be a great feature if the AoE for it weren't so small, or if the game locks onto an enemy further away from the one that you really want to get at. In general, auto-aim is incredibly inconsistent and doesn't work well enough at all for the player to take proper advantage of it. It's a good idea, but the execution is faulty.

It's a huge shame that you couldn't play as X at the start. Zero's nice to play as, but he isn't as versatile. Axl's just too weak outside of his alt weapon. The camera angles in some areas are terrible, and sometimes the controls make navigation iffy. Sometimes you can't see what's coming up ahead (and this is apparent even in the very first stage), or you can't see what's hitting you because the camera is centered on your character. Additionally, wall-jumping and clinging to the wall is just difficult to do in the perspective used in this game. Fighting the controls in this game just makes it unnecessarily challenging.

The loading screens are just terrible. Mega Man games are usually quick and even have quick turn around time if they're on a CD-based platform. This is just... Sonic 06/Tales of the Abyss-esque.

Oh, and the plot sucks. The writing is awful. The voice acting is laughable.​

I... ehhhh. I almost want to say that I've played worse, but it still doesn't take away the fact that this is a bad game in general. Edit: To be honest, I'm feeling the same way on this replay as I did the first time I played it. It's just a bad game. But... well, qq might give me a kick if I say what he knows I'm going to say next.

Kokonoe

Banned
To be honest, I don't like Axl, but I've never played the games he was in. I don't usually say this, but he honestly looks like a jerk. lol

In other news, this MM7 8bit is pretty decent(especially since I use a SNES controller on PC), are there any other good fanmade PC Mega Mans? They seem to have perfected or nearly perfected the classic MM engine which is surprising.

qq more

In all fairness, Axl was mostly terrible because of the writing in X7 is just plain awful. Axl is alright in X8, not to mention his gameplay was pretty fun in that one.

To be honest, I don't like Axl, but I've never played the games he was in. I don't usually say this, but he honestly looks like a jerk. lol

In other news, this MM7 8bit is pretty decent(especially since I use a SNES controller on PC), are there any other good fanmade PC Mega Mans? They seem to have perfected or nearly perfected the classic MM engine which is surprising.

I think there's a Mega Man X fangame with metroidvania elements and such. I forgot the name though. It looked kind of cool, it had a 16-bit style to it too.

EDIT: Ah, there we go. Mega Man X: Corrupted.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X:_Corrupted

Noi

X7 did something good: being able to swap characters on-the-fly (as opposed to knocking around in a menu) in a level. Doing this allows the player to be a little more flexible and manage their health a little easier. X8 facilitates this a lot better because X7's level design is pretty bs. So I'm glad they realized to put that in X8.

Honestly, this wouldn't even be an issue if the game wasn't so stingy with health recovery in the first place. I know when I played it, I spent a huge chunk of the game wondering if you could even recover health, since I never got a pellet to do so before inevitably dying.

Kokonoe

Banned
In all fairness, Axl was mostly terrible because of the writing in X7 is just plain awful. Axl is alright in X8, not to mention his gameplay was pretty fun in that one.

I think there's a Mega Man X fangame with metroidvania elements and such. I forgot the name though. It looked kind of cool, it had a 16-bit style to it too.

EDIT: Ah, there we go. Mega Man X: Corrupted.
http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X:_Corrupted

That's pretty cool, although I'm not sure I want to play ZX again. Haha. Actually, I'll give it a shot for sure.

About Axl, I actually didn't read the posts above as I'm pretty tired at the moment, I just saw Axl and was like "oh, yeah I think he looks like a jerk". I have no idea what his personality is, though. He may end up being a character I like for the personality, maybe. (I did read up a bit ago on his role which I don't like) BUT ALL THINGS AFTER X5 DIDNT HAPPEN. CAPCOM LIES. INAFUUUUUUNE!

What about classic Mega Man? since the 8bit engine seems nearly perfected or perfected, I'd expect there would be more. Actually, I may give that street fighter one another shot.

qq more

That's pretty cool, although I'm not sure I want to play ZX again. Haha. Actually, I'll give it a shot for sure.

About Axl, I actually didn't read the posts above as I'm pretty tired at the moment, I just saw Axl and was like "oh, yeah I think he looks like a jerk". I have no idea what his personality is, though. He may end up being a character I like for the personality, maybe. (I did read up a bit ago on his role which I don't like) BUT ALL THINGS AFTER X5 DIDNT HAPPEN. CAPCOM LIES. INAFUUUUUUNE!

What about classic Mega Man? since the 8bit engine seems nearly perfected or perfected, I'd expect there would be more. Actually, I may give that street fighter one another shot.

There's an 8-bit remake of Mega Man 8.

There's also that Doom mod called 8-bit Deathmatch.

Kokonoe

Banned
There's an 8-bit remake of Mega Man 8.

There's also that Doom mod called 8-bit Deathmatch.

I talked about the 8bit MM8 in the IRC remember! I did try out that 8bit deathmatch, was kinda...well. I didn't care for it much, it was interesting I suppose.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Next time, qq more should be the one who plays bad games, not me. I feel like I've had to suffer through this game twice now this year. I'm only playing it once because there is no way I'm going through that hell twice in one year.

oTkiNvd.png
C2i6S1v.png
3UBPJ5V.png
i0ghU06.png

Thanks for not localizing Vile's name, Capcpom.

RoeBear

So I bought the Japanese version of Mega Man 3 today of the psn store and I was playing on my Vita and I got this strange glitch. After I beat one of the MM2 robots I was either pressing slide or holding not sure and once I continued to play in the same stage I was moving really fast almost as if I was still in a slide. Does anyone have a clue as to what I did?

Tizoc

Next time, qq more should be the one who plays bad games, not me. I feel like I've had to suffer through this game twice now this year. I'm only playing it once because there is no way I'm going through that hell twice in one year.

oTkiNvd.png
C2i6S1v.png
3UBPJ5V.png
i0ghU06.png

Thanks for not localizing Vile's name, Capcpom.

Oh come now, I'm sure it'd be easier to play with an emulator+macros for dashing etc.

For that matter: Vava is Japanization of Boba from Boba Fett. funny how many Star Wars shoutouts/similarties there are in X1.

That reminds me:
How come Rockman.exe series got an anime, not the classici/original Rockman series? ...and I'm talking about a regular anime series not like that educational vid.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh come now, I'm sure it'd be easier to play with an emulator+macros for dashing etc.

For that matter: Vava is Japanization of Boba from Boba Fett. funny how many Star Wars shoutouts/similarties there are in X1.
Like Hito said, you can say Boba in Japanese (ボバ... or if we were being cute, ボバフェット), instead of going out of their way to write Vu and A in a combination like ヴァヴァ. Also, it was a joke. :p

And nah, I really don't like Mega Man Xtreme and Mega Man Xtreme 2 at all. Nothing about them is enticing to me, and qq was trying to get me to like Xtreme 1 and Xtreme 2. I finished two bosses now, and I... don't want to play Xtreme 1 anymore. And it's kind of absurd that a solution to control mishaps is to play it on a platform and controller that isn't the platform and controller that the game was made for. :p

Top Bottom