• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X |OT| Rockin' and Rolling

serplux

Mega_Man_X_(NA).jpg

We continue our journey through the Blue Bomber's saga with the...11th entry (damn Capcom franchise whoring) in the Mega Man franchise across the Game Boy and NES. But now it's 16-bit and we have a kinda-sorta new visually-similiar hero: X. Looks promising.

Developer/Publisher: Capcom
Platforms: SNES, PC, GCN, PS2, PSP, Wii, Android, iOS, Wii U
Size: 12 Mb
Price: $7.99
Release Date: May 22, 2013 (Japan), May 30, 2013 (Americas)

Story:

It is the year 21XX. While trying to find a fossil record, Dr. Cain, a human scientist, has uncovered a capsule with a robot from the past: Mega Man X. The capsule contained a warning message from Dr. Light, his creator:

Dr. Light or Right said:
WARNING:

"X" IS THE FIRST OF A NEW GENERATION OF ROBOTS WHICH CONTAIN AN INNOVATIVE NEW FEATURE - THE ABILITY TO THINK, FEEL AND MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS. HOWEVER THIS ABILITY COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS. IF "X" WERE TO BREAK THE FIRST RULE OF ROBOTICS, "A ROBOT MUST NEVER HARM A HUMAN BEING", THE RESULTS WOULD BE DISASTROUS AND I FEAR THAT NO FORCE ON EARTH COULD STOP HIM.

APPROXIMATELY 30 YEARS WILL BE REQUIRED BEFORE WE CAN SAFELY CONFIRM HIS RELIABILITY. UNFORTUNATELY I WILL NOT LIVE TO SEE THAT DAY, NOR DO I HAVE ANYONE TO CARRY ON MY WORK. THEREFORE, I HAVE DECIDED TO SEAL HIM IN THIS CAPSULE, WHICH WILL TEST HIS INTERNAL SYSTEMS UNTIL HIS RELIABILITY HAS BEEN CONFIRMED. PLEASE DO NOT DISTURB THE CAPSULE UNTIL THAT TIME.

"X" POSSESSES GREAT RISKS AS WELL AS GREAT POSSIBILITIES. I CAN ONLY HOPE FOR THE BEST.

SEPTEMBER 18, 20XX
T.LIGHT
X's design interested Cain, and he analyzed Dr. Light's notes. Months later, Cain was able to create robots similar to X, called Reploids, and they began to be mass-produced around the world. For unknown reasons, some Reploids began to act strange and attacked humans, being labeled Mavericks. To counter any possible threat, the Maverick Hunters were formed. Sigma, an advanced Reploid, was assigned to be their leader. X also became a member of the Maverick Hunters. Time passes and the Maverick Hunters are able to keep peace, but one day Sigma himself became a Maverick, being joined by other Maverick Hunters to start a war against humanity. Although X was by nature a pacifist, he had to do something, so he joined the new leader of the Maverick Hunters, Zero, to stop the ambitions of Sigma and the Mavericks.

Screenshots:

oMQVDuq.jpg
X2IGOJC.png
lRy3wvK.png

ClXCKsk.png
k5K5Dme.png
itpzuuW.png

Videos:

Rockman X Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_cALNP0pFM
Speedrun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lfB4oZCh3s

Reviews:

IGN: 9/10
NintendoLife: 9/10
Official Nintendo Magazine: 86%
Destructoid: 4/10 (iOS) lol

Miiverse Art:

zlCfzQ_w4TEuhy6lW1

zlCfzQ_sucs-wH6s75

zlCfzQ_qkosqYtO3f7

zlCfzQ_mRj8CbQ_1Ok

Special Deal:

40NsjAl.png

bndadm

I love this game dearly. Can't get bored of it.

Agreed. Everytime I think I'm going to finally play some of the other X games (only ever beat X2), I just see X sitting there and thinking I should start from the beginning...again...and again.

Hot damn this game.

Wait...what Android release? It's not the IOS version, right?

Great OT, BTW!

Feel bad cause I'm probably gonna wait to repurchase in July to accredit my Club Nintendo account...(damn these VC deals!)

jmdajr

I don't know if people even realize that the order you beat the levels affects the game.

Lets say you go beat Storm Eagle, if you then go to Spark Mandrill his base is all fuked up from the crashed plane. Lots of places go pitch black.

Go to Flame Mammoth's stage first and still see all the lava flowing through the level.

Heck I beat all the levels with no power ups. I went to chill penguin last. Yeah it's a bit tough without the dash, no heart containers and only using regular buster. But I did it.

The remake for psp was ok, but it's not the same.

Never played this before. At least, I don't recall doing so in the past. I'll probably give it a shot when it hits the eShop later.

Mega Man 9 is way better than Mega Man 10. Too bad 9 only came out in Japan.

nice OT. :p Not an X series fan compared to the Classic series, but they're still very good and hold up well.

Edit: I can't believe they put this game on iOS... Anyone who beats the game with a touchscreen deserves the biggest trophy ever made.

I just remembered that ancient Metal Maverick flash animation from Newgrounds focusing on X vs. Chill Penguin. It must be pretty bad looking at it now—lazy-ass bobbleheads...

On the other hand, this game still has it: the best series OST, great challenge and level design, and a refreshing simplicity in its story background.

I don't know if people even realize that the order you beat the levels affects the game.

Lets say you go beat Storm Eagle, if you then go to Spark Mandrill his base is all fuked up from the crashed plane. Lots of places go pitch black.

Go to Flame Mammoth's stage first and still see all the lava flowing through the level.

Heck I beat all the levels with no power ups. I went to chill penguin last. Yeah it's a bit tough without the dash, no heart containers and only using regular buster. But I did it.

So you're saying it's all about the game and how you play it?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Yeah, it was pretty cool how beating certain bosses affected levels, even if in most stages, it didn't make that much of a difference. Weird that they tabled that idea until X6... which sucked anyway, so who even cares?

I quite liked the MHX remake on PSP, but yeah, it's clearly not a replacement for the original. I decided to hang onto both, because they're just different enough to justify it.

Tizoc

Why the heck don't Nintendo have these SNES games be 3DS compatible as well?
Sony has PSX games that run on PS3 AND PSP (with some on Vita).

Man, just reading the OP brought back memories. Reading the "intro text" in my head was accompanied by the alarm and click clack typing noises.

Dem memories. <3

You just blew my mind away... holy shit. I remember when I was younger my brother told me the order to kill them in and I lived by that order every time I played this game. Wow...

Top Bottom