• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X |OT| Rockin' and Rolling

Is it even possible to beat Storm Eagle without the dash power up? i always forget which weapon is his weakness...

You can probably beat him without the dash power, but his level is a lot better since you can get a heart and subtank with the dash power (not sure if it's required for the subtank).

He's weak to just regular charge attack like Chill Penguin is, so I always do Chill Penguin, Storm Eagle, and then Flame Mammoth (You can snag another heart and I believe another subtank this way) and then spark mandrill. After that I don't remember what order I do.

Ridley327

You can probably beat him without the dash power, but his level is a lot better since you can get a heart and subtank with the dash power (not sure if it's required for the subtank).

He's weak to just regular charge attack like Chill Penguin is, so I always do Chill Penguin, Storm Eagle, and then Flame Mammoth (You can snag another heart and I believe another subtank this way) and then spark mandrill. After that I don't remember what order I do.

I'm pretty sure that you do need the dash to get that subtank; I don't think you get enough horizontal to make the jump onto that platform otherwise.

bumpkin

Special Deal:

40NsjAl.png
I certainly didn't need any incentive to buy MMX, but this deal makes me give serious thought to buying Super GnG too. Hmm...

I'm pretty sure that you do need the dash to get that subtank; I don't think you get enough horizontal to make the jump onto that platform otherwise.

Ah yeah. It's not worth going to that level without the boots anyways since you can't get the heart. I'm so glad they made dash a non-armor mechanic in the later games. Oh, and always go to the controls menu and change dash to a shoulder button. Thank me later.

Ridley327

Ah yeah. It's not worth going to that level without the boots anyways since you can't get the heart. I'm so glad they made dash a non-armor mechanic in the later games. Oh, and always go to the controls menu and change dash to a shoulder button. Thank me later.

Anything else is just uncivilized.

Bururian

I am so adapted to playing with my index on A for dash on the SNES controller that I can not even do the shoulder button dash. It messes with me too much.

Lemming

Bit off-topic, but I never got to play X2, 3, 5 and 6. Are they worth it , what's the consensus?
Loved 1+4 and the classic series.

Bit off-topic, but I never got to play X2, 3, 5 and 6. Are they worth it , what's the consensus?
Loved 1+4 and the classic series.

I liked 2, 3 was a little bit worse than 4 and 2, but 5 and 6 really weren't great. Play them only if you have a huge mega man x itch that can't be scratched. I have the PS2 collection and the original snes cart for MMX1 (the only affordable one) so I've sampled most of them.

Guesong

I certainly didn't need any incentive to buy MMX, but this deal makes me give serious thought to buying Super GnG too. Hmm...

AFAIK, the deal is for the NES version of GnG, not Super GnG. Notice how the screen is the NES version of the game.

Mr. Robot

For some reason i always started with Eagle and always gave up because i ended up falling when he made the wind blow.

I tapped forward twice for dash for months (years?) before I grew a brain and realized I could change dash to R1.

I still press B and A together for wall dash jumps.

Bururian

I got to the point where I could do that shit in any order, with doing Chill Penguin last.

Doing it from the hardest Maverick first with only acquiring the boots and buster is usually what i do these days.

I'll take Sigma on and barely take a hit.

Mitsurux

A great game...

I rememeber buying it a few days after it had relased from the video store down the street for over $60.... (Had rented it right when it cam out, and needed to have it!!)

the "x" games that followed (while good) never seemd to grab me like MMX did... just a commbination of alot of great things...

I rememeber the amount of transparencies blowing me way at the time....

I tapped forward twice for dash for months (years?) before I grew a brain and realized I could change dash to R1.

I still press B and A together for wall dash jumps.

Ah, reminds me of the good old days where I used to do the deformed claw grip to be able to hit A and B while maintaining a charge shot, lol.

Think I'll pick up this and GnG since they have that eshop promotion though.

I played this on MS-DOS with what I assume was a horrible sound card, so all the music in the other releases sound weird to me. I wish I could hear the music how I originally heard it, but that's probably impossible huh.

Bururian

I played this on MS-DOS with what I assume was a horrible sound card, so all the music in the other releases sound weird to me. I wish I could hear the music how I originally heard it, but that's probably impossible huh.

Nah, the PC version had midi music.

Just scroll down to M, and most of the PC versions of the songs are here.

I youtube'd the dos version of curiosity. The music sounds like late 80s arcade FM synth. Fucking weird

Nah, the PC version had midi music.

Just scroll down to M, and most of the PC versions of the songs are here.

Yeah, but if his pc now is using a different soundcard (which I certainly hope it is) then the midis still won't sound exactly as he remembers them considering his sound card is using a different softsynth to play back the midi notes. It'll probably be close considering the general midi softsynth on soundcards hasn't updated that much at all.

Bururian

Yeah, but if his pc now is using a different soundcard (which I certainly hope it is) then the midis still won't sound exactly as he remembers them considering his sound card is using a different softsynth to play back the midi notes. It'll probably be close considering the general midi softsynth on soundcards hasn't updated that much at all.

He was probably using a soundblaster of some sort, and if that's the case, there's very little change at all, since that tech never really evolved, since it was all integrated.

He was probably using a soundblaster of some sort, and if that's the case, there's very little change at all, since that tech never really evolved, since it was all integrated.

I always thought soundblaster had some better softsynths on it. I know you're able to change and edit the stock soundfonts on it which is nice.

One of the best games ever made. From the best period in gaming history. With the best Capcom of all time. At the best console ever concieved. You can't go wrong with this one. A trully classic Masterpiece.

One of the best games ever made. From the best period in gaming history. With the best Capcom of all time. At the best console ever concieved. You can't go wrong with this one. A trully classic Masterpiece.

This post is so over the top, and yet I can't bring myself to disagree with any of it

Megatron

AFAIK, the deal is for the NES version of GnG, not Super GnG. Notice how the screen is the NES version of the game.
What's weird is the ad says you buy either one and the other is half off. Soooooo
Buy Megaman X for $8, get ghouls and ghosts for $2.50 = $10.50. Or
Buy ghouls and ghosts for $5, get Megaman X for $4.00 = $9.00.

So I guess if you're going t get x anyway, you can effectively buy Ghouls and Ghosts for $1 as long as you buy it first.

This game is just gaming perfection. I have tried some of the later X games but they are quite boring in comparison to the original X. Just a few months ago I was playing the remake for the first time and the thing that bothered me the most was the remixed soundtrack and sluggish movement of X. However Vile mode made it all worth it.

Sanic

Man, not as much hype for this as Super Metroid. That thread was a lot of fun :(

I've watched a few speedruns of X recently, and it looks like there's a massive difficulty spike during the end. Enough to make a lot of people just quit apparently?

Top Bottom