• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X |OT| Rockin' and Rolling

Mega Man X on a touch device? FML.

This master piece should be played with the best controller ever made when it comes to platformers, i.e the SNES controller.

Having owned an SNES back in the day and played it to death for years, I really think the U gamepad is every bit as good as the SNES controller was.

Artorias

Banned
I'm surprised people are still getting trolled by Miiverse posts. A few of them are probably real, but most of the ones in this thread are pretty obvious jokes.

Anyway, I just saw that email about the B1G1 half off. I wasn't going to get MMX since I have both the cartridge and the PS2 collection (and the mediocre PSP remake), but I can't pass that up.

Is it just me or does the framerate dip a lot, especially when charging your buster, shooting as you jump off a wall and hit a moving enemy? (at the spark mandrill miniboss)
That's just the emulation staying true to the original. While the original game performed a lot better than early Capcom SNES games such as Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts, it still had some slowdown here and there. Later Capcom platformers and action games came with a special DSP chip built into the cartridge which took some load off the SNES's slow CPU.

Kokonoe

Banned
Xtreme 2 > Maverick Hunter X >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xtreme 1

By the way, those first two games are awesome.

assign Dash to L or R.

2iMb0DP.jpg

I wish I could completely forget this game. I haven't played this for around two decades and I still completely breeze through the game collecting every upgrade along the way. It was almost like playing on instinct alone. The game is much shorter when you don't have to replay levels looking for that last heart container.

Hopefully X2 and X3 get released soon. I feel like I won't remember those as well.

SkyOdin

I've beaten all of the side-scrolling X games just fine with Dash assigned to A/Circle. I know that Dash works great assigned to L as in the Zero games, but I have a properly functioning thumb that can press multiple buttons at once.

Beat this last night with all 3 of my kids cheering on (while also pretending they were the mavericks!).

Still an amazing game.

Servbot24

Banned
I've beaten all of the side-scrolling X games just fine with Dash assigned to A/Circle. I know that Dash works great assigned to L as in the Zero games, but I have a properly functioning thumb that can press multiple buttons at once.

Often you have to press Y, B and A all at once, which is a bit awkward due to their positioning. Assigning dash to R redistributes a move to your free finger. Fair enough if you're used to A, but in theory (and in truth imo) assigning to R is absolutely the best way to play.

MrMephistoX

Beat this last night with all 3 of my kids cheering on (while also pretending they were the mavericks!).

Still an amazing game.

Have to say I'm pretty excited to see how my 9 month old takes to the SNES games. My 2 year old Nephew loves SMW and Super Metroid on the gamepad. I hope Nintendo keeps the momentum up: SNES games are awesome on the gamepad.

SkyOdin

Often you have to press Y, B and A all at once, which is a bit awkward due to their positioning. Assigning dash to R redistributes a move to your free finger. Fair enough if you're used to A, but in theory (and in truth imo) assigning to R is absolutely the best way to play.

You mean reassign it to L. The R button is for Saber attacks.

I have too much muscle memory built up from the Zero/ZX series.

Anyways I have played enough X games to be familiar with that stuff. I've still beaten X 1-6 and X8 using the default method without much problem. Also, using all three buttons at once is somewhat easier on a Gamecube controller, if you are playing the Mega Man X Collection version. On the flip side, the Gamecube shoulder buttons were not responsive enough for my tastes to be used for something like Dash.

Servbot24

Banned

In the Zero series yes, but in MMX it's easier to let the same hand control both jumping and dashing since they so often have to be in sync.

Wish I had gotten the MMX collection on PS2 instead of GC. Hopefully they put it on PSN at some point.

Anteo

For some reason I expected a small talk with Chill Penguin about his motivations or something. I totally forgot that gaming was about getting to the boss and just kill them.

I thought Zero was a girl when I was little.
I did too I thought it was girlfriend lol. I thought the hearts that increased yoyr health was the love she left for him to get... :/
For some reason I expected a small talk with Chill Penguin about his motivations or something. I totally forgot that gaming was about getting to the boss and just kill them.
Lol for some reason Im thinking of heath ledger as the joker for chill penguins voice explaing shit.

Videoneon

I have too much muscle memory built up from the Zero/ZX series.

Anyways I have played enough X games to be familiar with that stuff. I've still beaten X 1-6 and X8 using the default method without much problem. Also, using all three buttons at once is somewhat easier on a Gamecube controller, if you are playing the Mega Man X Collection version. On the flip side, the Gamecube shoulder buttons were not responsive enough for my tastes to be used for something like Dash.

Yeah I'm totally adjusted to using my thumb to control three buttons at once. I don't remember what it was like in the past, and I can't say much about what is preferable, but it's perfectly fine. I guess having the L button available offers the extra benefit of cycling backwards through special weapons.

Kokonoe

Banned
The first Mega Man game I ever played.

Same. First time I played it was I was watching my friends at time (around when I think I was 7-8 years old) losing to Launch Octopus over and over, they handed me the controller and finally let me try the game at the boss, and for some reason I ended up being Launch Octopus without any weaknesses with my first time playing the game.

I have no idea what happened, I guess I must have been so amazed at how great it was I achieved that G4 "glow".

gryz

Banned
Mega Man X on a touch device? FML.

haha what.

anyways E shop has a deal where if you buy either MMX or ghosts and goblins you get the other one for 50% off. does it work if you buy the games in either order? Ghosts and goblins is cheaper than MMX, can you get MMX for cheap if you buy GG first?

Gartooth

This is one of those rare games for me that's timeless and never ceases to draw me in. Love how the virtual console is drawing people into older games like this, there were quite a few on the Wii service that I tried and had never played before, and some of those games ended up becoming my favorite of all time.

Top Bottom