• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man X |OT| Rockin' and Rolling

One of the few good memories of my old man was when I had braces put on in 8th grade. After the procedure, he took me to Movie King (the rental joint in town at the time, 1993), and let me rent the game. It was possibly the best thing that happened to me all year.

Fantastic soundtrack, fantastic controls, fantastic game. A little on the easy side, but enough of a challenge that you didn't feel ripped off. And the speed. My god...dashing.

I hate that my parents left my SNES with all my games overseas when I went there at the age of 9 or something. They probably don't even touch it anymore. Such a waste. I have to pay a shitload to get MMX now, and who knows... maybe people are putting up repros of X instead of genuine copies. Makes me so sad man, dammit.

jmdajr

A little story. I remember calling the Videogame store for WEEKS to see if they got the game in.
I must have drove them mad. And hell I wasn't like 8 years old, I was in fuking high school.

It's also the only game I ever remember waking up early to play before going to school. You couldn't wake me up for any other reason before that.

To make the game last longer I refused to use any continues. If I died that was it. No passwords, I was always started over.

I'm not that great at a lot of games, but I considered myself pretty awesome at these.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, you kids and your Super Nintendo games.

I had the PC version.

I didn't know Mega Man X had ride armors until 2000 goddamn 6.

Fuck my deprived childhood, yo.

Sanic

I'll be (completing) the game for the first time ever, but no until tomorrow when I have some free time. I've played through chill penguins stage a million times, but have never gone past that.

Andrew.

Banned
lol, you kids and your Super Nintendo games.

I had the PC version.

I didn't know Mega Man X had ride armors until 2000 goddamn 6.

Fuck my deprived childhood, yo.

I had it for PC too! It came with a real POS light grey six button controller as well.

Played like shit compared to the SNES version, but I'll be damned if the music didnt sound just as good if not better with AWE32's.

Because it was multiple in a year for awhile and people got burnt out and now Capcom thinks everyone hates him except for a few fanatics.

Basically.

It's odd still having this feeling that the IP is being milked for all it's worth, but then realizing it's been 3 years since they really did anything significant.

When was it multiple a year?

If COD can be yearly, MM should be too

Without bothering to actually look it up, I'm gonna say I recall MM4 and MM5 came out the same year, and MM6 and MMX came out real close too.

"X" IS THE FIRST OF A NEW GENERATION OF ROBOTS WHICH CONTAIN AN INNOVATIVE NEW FEATURE - THE ABILITY TO THINK, FEEL AND MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS."

Waitwaitwait. Aren't Mega Man, Roll, Protoman and so on exactly the same as this?

The best Mega Man game, period. I remember fondly the spring of 1994 when I had rented this not one, not two, but THREE weekends in a row. It's one of those games that I'll never grow tired of playing through, and yes, I will be quadrupal dipping on this.

Noi

I'm serious. At least Xtreme has screen transitions at logical places. And it shows where they happen! The iOS version doesn't even do that! (I also prefer the look of Xtreme over the iOS port, but that is a different matter.)

Wait woops, I misread that. I thought you said that MHX was worse than Xtreme. Yes, the iOS port deserves all the shit it gets!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I had it for PC too! It came with a real POS light grey POS six button controller too.

Played like shit compared to the SNES version, but I'll be damned if the music didnt sound just as good if not better with AWE32's.

I had a Sound Blaster Pro, and while it sounded comparable, it was never the same as the SNES' OST.

But yo, POS controller? I loved my PC Fighter 6 controller. That thing was tha shit. Mostly because I didn't have any other controller at the time, but it was a pretty solid approximation of a genesis controller. Which was cool for the precisely zero other games I had that supported it.

But anyway *brofist* PC bros.

Sigma is god B^)
those music tracks were amazing. Plus the boss battle

Loved playing X growing up , can we get X2 and X3 next

Crystal snail for best music in X2

Played this back in the day, then played the ever loving crap out of it as Maverick Hunter X. Still downloading this as soon as it goes up.

Andrew.

Banned
I had a Sound Blaster Pro, and while it sounded comparable, it was never the same as the SNES' OST.

But yo, POS controller? I loved my PC Fighter 6 controller. That thing was tha shit. Mostly because I didn't have any other controller at the time, but it was a pretty solid approximation of a genesis controller. Which was cool for the precisely zero other games I had that supported it.

But anyway *brofist* PC bros.

I had an SB Pro too, but my friend had a faster Pentium and the AWEs so I was always bringing it over there because it ran and sounded so much better. I thought the controller was kinda nasty compared to some other six buttons I used, and of course I was still playing my Genesis at the time. It had a real light feel to that felt like nothing was inside of it lol. Was it a PC Fighter 6 that came with it? I cant quite remember, though looking at pics on google thats sure as hell what it looked like from what I recall.

qko

A little story. I remember calling the Videogame store for WEEKS to see if they got the game in.
I must have drove them mad. And hell I wasn't like 8 years old, I was in fuking high school.

It's also the only game I ever remember waking up early to play before going to school. You couldn't wake me up for any other reason before that.

To make the game last longer I refused to use any continues. If I died that was it. No passwords, I was always started over.

I'm not that great at a lot of games, but I considered myself pretty awesome at these.

Dude, that's what happens growing up a Mega Man fan. I ran around my room like a little kid when I heard news of Mega Man 9 being released.

Soul Beat

Waitwaitwait. Aren't Mega Man, Roll, Protoman and so on exactly the same as this?
The way it's explained in the Mega Man comic is this:

Dr. Light said:
You're all autonomous and capable of a wide range of human-like emotions and decision-making abilities, but you're all still ruled by your coding.
I don't know how canon that explanation is, but i makes sense.

There's also a bit of an explanation on the 'Day Of Sigma' OVA that came with MHX. Stating that X is the first reploid with the ability to worry, grow, and think for himself.

The way it's explained in the Mega Man comic is this:

I don't know how canon that explanation is, but i makes sense.

There's also a bit of an explanation on the 'Day Of Sigma' OVA that came with MHX. Stating that X is the first reploid with the ability to worry, grow, and think for himself.

Ah, fair enough. Mega Man is a kid, after all.

Claneko

This is one of those games I will love forever. Still remember the birthday I got it, opening the package from my Grandma (who ALWAYS knows what games I like) and seeing this game. I was damn excited. Mega Man always has a sort of birthday feel for me because it seemed like whenever my bday would roll around, a new MM was out and I would get it. I miss that.

This is one of those games that I literally couldn't even guess how many times I have played through it. Awesome, just flat-out incredible game.

If anybody here hasn't played it, well hurry up and buy it! I guarantee you will have a good time from beginning to end, and likely many replays in the future.

FinKL

Love this game, but it was hard to get into X2 and X3. Maybe because I visited X1 so many times.

Just wanted to point out, Mega Man X is on PSP as well and comes with "Vile" mode which lets you play the purple dude which is a little harder.

Top Bottom