• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megadimension Neptunia VII (PS4) Out Early 2016 (NA/EU)

I thought Re;Birth 1 would be considered as canon.
It is canon.

In Re;Birth2 some of the characters may pretend stuff like "oh we actually met Neptune at this place instead" but they are just joking around. Really besides a couple minor things, you can consider Re;Birth1 canon as I do. Its just silly to pretend its not canon. Once I play the spinoffs I'll totally work them into the canon too. I despise non canon things.

They all seem canon. But as any story with multiple dimensions, things might get a bit confusing.

I beat Rebith 1 last month and started Rebirth 2 and I felt confused as hell, had to ask the GAFcommunity for some Insight.

SephLuis

While mk2 was almost a reboot of the series, since it's very different from the original Neptunia, I thought that Re;birth 1 main purpose was to rewrite the first game story so that it doesn't collide with the rest of the series.

While mk2 was almost a reboot of the series, since it's very different from the original Neptunia, I thought that Re;birth 1 main purpose was to rewrite the first game story so that it doesn't collide with the rest of the series.

RB1's true end doesn't make a sequel completely impossible like the original game's true end did, but Arfoire's different roles in the two games arguably make it impossible to really say that RB1 and RB2 are in the same universe.

That said, Neptunia is not a game that has ever really given enough of a fuck about the fourth wall for that sort of thing to be worth worrying about. RB1 makes a joke referencing a bad end from mk2/RB2, for fuck's sake.

And as far as which one should be played first, I'd still recommend RB1, if only because while RB1 may not be "canon" RB2 still assumes you're familiar with Nep, Noire, Blanc, and Vert. The main four goddesses and the chemistry between them is the core of the appeal of the whole franchise, and if you start with RB2 you won't really see that in action for a while, since it's centered around the goddesses' little sisters, who don't have anywhere near the level of chemistry that the main four do, which is why it's generally considered to be the weakest one.

Zee-Row

Banned
Are these games any good? I have one of them on my PS3 but haven't played it yet. I'm afraid to because so many of these games come out so soon.

Rocky

Banned

mk2 is set in a different dimension than the first game, it's not meant to be a direct sequel to the first. It's the same for the first two rebirth games.

SephLuis

RB1's true end doesn't make a sequel completely impossible like the original game's true end did, but Arfoire's different roles in the two games arguably make it impossible to really say that RB1 and RB2 are in the same universe.

That said, Neptunia is not a game that has ever really given enough of a fuck about the fourth wall for that sort of thing to be worth worrying about. RB1 makes a joke referencing a bad end from mk2/RB2, for fuck's sake.

And as far as which one should be played first, I'd still recommend RB1, if only because while RB1 may not be "canon" RB2 still assumes you're familiar with Nep, Noire, Blanc, and Vert. The main four goddesses and the chemistry between them is the core of the appeal of the whole franchise, and if you start with RB2 you won't really see that in action for a while, since it's centered around the goddesses' little sisters, who don't have anywhere near the level of chemistry that the main four do, which is why it's generally considered to be the weakest one.

For people that are starting I say go for Re;Birth 1. Or jump straight to Re;Birth 3, if you don't want to play all of them.

OMG Aero

The whole point of the series is that it's about multiple parallel dimensions so either there is no canon or all of them are canon.
Mk2/Re;Birth2, Victory/Re;Birth3, and VII all take place after one another and has the characters from Mk2/Re;Birth2 travelling to other dimensions.

Re;Birth1 takes place in a separate dimension and the main characters aren't connected to the characters from the other games, but the maker characters like Mages, Cyberconnect etc are the same characters that were in Victory/Re;Birth3 and they travelled to this dimension after Victory/Re;Birth3.

The original game is set in a different dimension and is not connected to the other games and presumably the same goes for all the spin offs.

Top Bottom