• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

lenovox1

I'm a 44" shoulder with a 33/34" waist. Most of the stuff I try on looks fine in the shoulders but is really baggy looking by the waist.

Take it from a guy with a 42" chest and a 28" waist; if you're going to buy off the rack, that is why suit separates were created. You start taking the waist in too much on a pair of pants, you basically have to remake the entire pant for everything else to look and fit properly.

Boken

Banned
Take it from a guy with a 42" chest and a 28" waist; if you're going to buy off the rack, that is why suit separates were created. You start taking the waist in too much on a pair of pants, you basically have to remake the entire pant for everything else to look and fit properly.

holy shit
14'' drop

Brooks Brothers. Preferably on sale.
Great quality, but a lot of their cuts are extremely traditional and tailored more towards the older businessman. If he wants something more modern, Brooks Brothers probably isn't the way to go.

Dr. Feel Good, I'd strongly advise against purchasing a suit online unless it's a MTM or you can get exact measurements. There are just too many factors beyond the size on the tag that can make or break how a suit looks. You really gotta get in there and see how it fits/feels for yourself.

Great quality, but a lot of their cuts are extremely traditional and tailored more towards the older businessman. If he wants something more modern, Brooks Brothers probably isn't the way to go.

Dr. Feel Good, I'd strongly advise against purchasing a suit online unless it's a MTM or you can get exact measurements. There are just too many factors beyond the size on the tag that can make or break how a suit looks. You really gotta get in there and see how it fits/feels for yourself.

What about Black Sheep?

I have been feeling a little lucky on my denim searches lately. I was able to get a pair of True Religion jeans for 50$ at Plato's and a pair of Nudie's for 38$ on ebay. I'm not really a True Religion fan because of all the hype into them but those were a steal. Still had tags on them too. Also, the ebay user has 100% feedback and over 600 customers so I feel good about the jeans. Now I just have to break them in myself.

Only thing is, I have never got any of my clothes tailored before. I will probably go get myself a suit eventually because every man needs one, but how much would it cost to get something tailored. Let's use jeans for example. The True Religion jeans are like a 34 L and I'm probably like a 30, to get those hemmed or shorten, what is the price range am I looking at?

I have been feeling a little lucky on my denim searches lately. I was able to get a pair of True Religion jeans for 50$ at Plato's and a pair of Nudie's for 38$ on ebay. I'm not really a True Religion fan because of all the hype into them but those were a steal. Still had tags on them too. Also, the ebay user has 100% feedback and over 600 customers so I feel good about the jeans. Now I just have to break them in myself.

Only thing is, I have never got any of my clothes tailored before. I will probably go get myself a suit eventually because every man needs one, but how much would it cost to get something tailored. Let's use jeans for example. The True Religion jeans are like a 34 L and I'm probably like a 30, to get those hemmed or shorten, what is the price range am I looking at?
A hem is the easiest tailoring job you can do. All it consists of is cutting the jeans/pants at the desired point and forming and inward cuff to be stitched. Shouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes (5 if the tailor knows what he/she's doing) and shouldn't cost more than $25 for chain-stitching (which is what you want).

20.000 post of lurking ahead,keep up the great work fashion-GAF!
Thanks! Glad we can help.

Zeppelin

So, has anyone here ever owned sneakers from Common Projects? I'm looking for a pair of white sneakers and I was wondering if Common Projects' stuff warrants its price in terms of quality, or if I should just keep buying Stan Smiths.

Alucrid

Banned
well yeah they're better than stan smiths but i paid 2XX something for mine. wouldn't really pay the ~400 they're retailing at now

Zeppelin

well yeah they're better than stan smiths but i paid 2XX something for mine. wouldn't really pay the ~400 they're retailing at now

Yeah, I kinda realize they possibly can't be worth what they're charging for them, but it's nice to know they're at least better than Stan Smiths (which aren't bad, especially compared to the pair of Fred Perrys I bought last year...). Thanks.

Yeah they're great but prices have gone up up up in the last few years. It's pretty telling that practically everyone is moving sneaker production to Portugal vs Italy lately, save a few holdouts like CP, and that they've dropped a lot of the 'trendy' aspects of their label too.

If you're talking the plain achillies you can probably find something similar for a little less or likely to hit sales (marc jacobs, acne, hope stocholm, daniele allesandrini, doucal's etc)

Zeppelin

Are TM Lewin meant to be good

I've got some of their shirts and I'm really happy with them. Just make sure you get your measurements right and go for slim fit. And they've got really good deals most of the time too. Pretty much any of the Jeremyn Street shirtmakes have good stuff.

Yeah they're great but prices have gone up up up in the last few years. It's pretty telling that practically everyone is moving sneaker production to Portugal vs Italy lately, save a few holdouts like CP, and that they've dropped a lot of the 'trendy' aspects of their label too.

If you're talking the plain achillies you can probably find something similar for a little less or likely to hit sales (marc jacobs, acne, hope stocholm, daniele allesandrini, doucal's etc)

Alright, good to know. I don't think I'll be needing them until next spring so we'll see what I end up getting when it comes around! :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Team untucked represent. Casual Friday at work.

IMG_0997.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

But I'm planning on tailoring the suit, shouldn't that be enough? I just don't know of good suit stores in Portland at this point. And I would think you would find better deals online? Which I would think I could always return if needed. I don't know... honestly I have two suits which I bought new and tailored to me in high school, and a bunch of older ones my Dad had that I retailored to fit me. None of my friends are getting married really so I've just never had the reason to go suit shopping until now so I'm really in the dark on this.

Tax free weekend here in Texas... the damage so far, 2 button ups and those no show loafer socks from J Crew and these shoes from Aldo:

b8a0b3ee90175ee7f7cf82fab00171f7-300x300.jpg

I was looking for something on the loafer side, but none of them were tax free. That one on the other hand was already on sale for $45 so I said why the hell not lol.

Btw, dunno if y'all know this, but if you're a college student/teacher and there's a J Crew Outlet/factory store close by, they give you 15% off on top of everything if you show them your ID. It's a pretty huge discount too, those button ups I got were 40% off from retail so if my maths are correct, they would be 55% off with the student discount.

Anyway, this tax free weekend goes until Sunday so I'm done for now lol.

But I'm planning on tailoring the suit, shouldn't that be enough? I just don't know of good suit stores in Portland at this point. And I would think you would find better deals online? Which I would think I could always return if needed. I don't know... honestly I have two suits which I bought new and tailored to me in high school, and a bunch of older ones my Dad had that I retailored to fit me. None of my friends are getting married really so I've just never had the reason to go suit shopping until now so I'm really in the dark on this.
Sure, but there are some things that tailoring can't fix, for example, shoulders. If you buy a suit and the shoulders look like garbage, there's no way of getting around that outside of maybe doing more shrugs in the gym. You can also only take in the back of a jacket so much before the lapels start popping (looks bad) and the back starts bunching (also looks bad). Those are just a few examples.

If the store you're buying from has free returns, then I suppose there's no harm in ordering the suit, and then consulting with a tailor when you receive it, but I firmly believe suit shopping is something that should be done in-person unless you know the measurements of the suit and/or are familiar with the cut of the brand.

Don't you have a Nordstrom or Mario's in Portland that you can go to? At the very least try on a few things there and get familiar with certain brands, then browse online.

solomon

Going back to campus in 3 weeks, time to restock, but lately I haven't been feeling the stuff on plndr,jackthreads and Drjays.

Fou-Lu

Fuck, I'm so poor. I want some nice new clothes for the new semester but I can't afford shit. What's the cheapest place that'll still look/fit alright?

solxe

Neo Member
Hi guys, first post here!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience from asos.com?
I ordered some persol look-alike glasses

Dirt cheap, probably shitty plastics but will have to do til I can afford the real deal.

Also what do you guys think of these shoes? (yea I know summer is ending...)

giga

Guys. My AE Park Avenues came in and I think may like them even more than the Strand. SO comfy. And the simple, unadorned look just makes them looks so classy.

Fuck, I'm so poor. I want some nice new clothes for the new semester but I can't afford shit. What's the cheapest place that'll still look/fit alright?
What kind of clothes? Uniqlo will cover your basics for cheap. Target's Merona brand and GAP's "lived in" stuff like chinos/shorts are also good places to start.

Fou-Lu

What kind of clothes? Uniqlo will cover your basics for cheap. Target's Merona brand and GAP's "lived in" stuff like chinos/shorts are also good places to start.

Usually I just wear a casual shirt and some slim fit jeans, so nothing crazy. Uniqlo doesn't have bad prices, how are their oxfords and other button-ups? Wouldn't mind switching from boxers to boxer-briefs either since GAF seems to advocate doing so strongly. I'm also looking for some nice casual shoes/boots for fall, not sure what to go with, last year I did chukkas.

Alucrid

Banned
Usually I just wear a casual shirt and some slim fit jeans, so nothing crazy. Uniqlo doesn't have bad prices, how are their oxfords and other button-ups? Wouldn't mind switching from boxers to boxer-briefs either since GAF seems to advocate doing so strongly. I'm also looking for some nice casual shoes/boots for fall, not sure what to go with, last year I did chukkas.

1) button ups work fine for me, some may say otherwise
2) their boxer briefs are good for the price, both cotton, or the nicer airism ones

Hi guys, first post here!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience from asos.com?
I ordered some persol look-alike glasses

Dirt cheap, probably shitty plastics but will have to do til I can afford the real deal.

Also what do you guys think of these shoes? (yea I know summer is ending...)
Plenty of people in this thread order from ASOS and never report any issues.

As for the shoes, they're alright. I don't really like the detailing or gold accents though. I say if you're getting white shoes, just go all out and get them in all-white.

Guys. My AE Park Avenues came in and I think may like them even more than the Strand. SO comfy. And the simple, unadorned look just makes them looks so classy.
I like how clean they are but the cap toe isn't for me. Definitely gorgeous shoes though.

Just received a pair of Frye wingtip boots. Holy fuck are they comfortable.

irn3Jay.jpg
Not sure how I feel about that design for a pair of boots. Good to hear they're comfortable. I don't have any experience with Frye myself but I always see their stuff around.

Forever 21? American Apparel? If you live in Los Angeles you can go to the American Apparel HQ and buy literally boxes of clothes for like $20.

TheExodu5

Banned
Do you guys feel it's okay to wear jeans during the summer time? I just feel a lot more comfortable in jeans than I do in shorts.

Top Bottom