• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

overcast i forgot about this place

http://www.youreyeslie.com/men-1/t-shirts

a lot are ugly but some are cool.

If I can borrow a moment of fashion-GAF's time to help the fashionably uneducated, I've got a couple of questions.

1. I'm soon going to be in need of a suit and I'm wondering whats the best place/places to find one. I'm out near Chicago if that helps as far as regional stores etc. There is the balance of cost vs quality to consider but I'm not necessarily sure where to even start since my job doesn't require formal clothes ever(gift and curse of a programming job it seems)

2. On top of this, as I'm relatively fresh from college and now making a salary I'm hoping to update my wardrobe all around. My main concern is my height, I'm 6'5" 207 lbs so I find fit to be an issue sometimes around the shoulders and arms, are there any tall fashionGAFers that can point me to where you've found some success.
1. It really depends on how much you want to spend. I'd assume you have a wealth of options living in Chicago, anything from J Crew, Brooks Brothers, and Jil Sander (one of two in the states iirc). Since you don't have an immediate pressing need for one, you're at an advantage re: budget and value for dollar. If you want to spend a good sum for a nice suit, I would check out saks off fifth, they usually have stuff like Canali and Isaia at 50%+ off. i have a friend that's about your height/weight and an Isaia 42 looked incredible on him. J Crew is also a good option for a modern-fitting suit. There are an endless number of options at various prices.

2. sounds like you're probably at most a 42L? Not an unusual size at all. 6'2" and 130 would be a different story.

NinjaBoiX

couldn't help myself and put in an order for this

main.php
Is it a purse?

overcast

overcast i forgot about this place

http://www.youreyeslie.com/men-1/t-shirts

a lot are ugly but some are cool.
Thanks, most I would agree are rough to look at, but it doesn't matter if there are a few cool ones. Prices are good for me too.

So, are Stan Smith's "cool"? Any other similar style that is superior? Preferably at the same price or lower? I think that's the path I want to take with my next pair of shoes. Casual sneaker like. At least need to set my mind on some.

Edit: actually, not a big fan of how the Adidas look, but something similar would be great.

what is it about the stan smiths you don't like? slp trainers are kind of like a sleeker version of that and i have seen the white lows on sale on farfetch a few times

overcast

I haven't seen them in person in a while, but they look a bit clunky? I could be wrong. Those SLP ones look great, but that price tag obliterates my life.

MegalonJJ

Banned
If I can borrow a moment of fashion-GAF's time to help the fashionably uneducated, I've got a couple of questions.

1. I'm soon going to be in need of a suit and I'm wondering whats the best place/places to find one. I'm out near Chicago if that helps as far as regional stores etc. There is the balance of cost vs quality to consider but I'm not necessarily sure where to even start since my job doesn't require formal clothes ever(gift and curse of a programming job it seems)

2. On top of this, as I'm relatively fresh from college and now making a salary I'm hoping to update my wardrobe all around. My main concern is my height, I'm 6'5" 207 lbs so I find fit to be an issue sometimes around the shoulders and arms, are there any tall fashionGAFers that can point me to where you've found some success.

For your height and weight, I would strongly urge you to consider taking a trip to London and getting fitted for a beautiful, navy chalkstripe flannel from Steed Bespoke. The quality will last you a lifetime.

I wish the big sales would come already. I wasn't ready last year but this time things will be different. As a man who wears larger sizes and has size 12 feet I feel I could do pretty well.

overcast

That deal is so nice you should temporarily expand the range. Besides deep once/twice in a year sales you will not find cheaper CP's.
That's 2 paychecks essentially. I'm getting paid 192 this week, and that's a good week :[
sell some plasma and cop
Shit, I would. I have no problem with giving blood, do it often. Those shoes are so great too, don't have any grey shoes, and high top sneakers? Whew.
I wish the big sales would come already. I wasn't ready last year but this time things will be different. As a man who wears larger sizes and has size 12 feet I feel I could do pretty well.
What are the big sales? I might want to save up ahead of time.

I've got an unhealthy obsession with Clubmaster/Browline sunglasses, even though I'm pretty sure I can't pull them off.

That said... I want these:

Maui Jim Kawaki

Their width is pretty perfect (my current Ray Ban Wayfarers are 55 mm, these are 54 mm, while the larger size Ray Ban Clubmasters are 51 mm), and they have more of a rectangular shape which probably looks better on me than the rounded Clubmasters.

Pity they're so damned expensive.

:(

blacked out clubmasters are kinda snorgasm. good but not the best. tortoise or havana or whatever they call it is much better. or the black/gold

rayban-clubmasters.jpg

maui jim are objectively better but i think they miss the mark re: styling a bit

I'm also a 12 in sneakers but unfortunately, I never wear sneakers.

Although, I did find those Lanvin iridescent high-tops in my size for $650. Really tempted to cop, but damn.

So... are there any affordable alternatives to those Maui Jims that look basically the same? A more rectangular and wider Clubmaster basically.

i can't remember the last time i saw someone rock a bowtie!

I saw a guy wearing one in late December in a Safeway. The checkout lady complimented him on it.

Alright,

I've been wearing light colored henleys and v necks since its getting warmer, but my nipples show through when I wear some of them. This is very problematic with my white and grey henley. Should I just go with it, it is very obvious and probably a bit off putting haha? I really dont want to wear an undershirt..

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Alright,

I've been wearing light colored henleys and v necks since its getting warmer, but my nipples show through when I wear some of them. This is very problematic with my white and grey henley. Should I just go with it, it is very obvious and probably a bit off putting haha? I really dont want to wear an undershirt..

if i can see your nipples through your shirt (man or woman) i will judge you

wear an undershirt

Top Bottom