• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

GAF, how do you feel about this kind of look for a wedding:

IjaVNR0.jpg

I'm not in either of the wedding parties and it'll be outdoors in Virginia, so not having to wear a jacket, or at least the option of not wearing one, will be nice. Plus I like suspenders but only when done properly, else it creeps into fedora territory.

GAF, how do you feel about this kind of look for a wedding:

IjaVNR0.jpg

I'm not in either of the wedding parties and it'll be outdoors in Virginia, so not having to wear a jacket, or at least the option of not wearing one, will be nice. Plus I like suspenders but only when done properly, else it creeps into fedora territory.

rust-cohle-1.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
If you guys are trying to convince me to go with that look, you're doing a great job!

Depends on the attire of the others in the wedding I would say, and whether or not you have the body type to match the guy in the pictures.

It could work with the suspenders if the occasion works, or without them if needed.

i'd wear a blazer, i'm sure you could find a cool patch pocket turn o the century number somewhere. drop in a bandana as a pocket square. might as well dial it up to 11. consult junya watanabe, engineered garments, or ts(s) for guidance.

Depends on the attire of the others in the wedding I would say, and whether or not you have the body type to match the guy in the pictures.

It could work with the suspenders if the occasion works, or without them if needed.

honestly the suspenders with that look are a bit too Mumford and Sons for me but if that's your thing go for it

Yeah, I'm worried it will look a little too folk indie trendy.

As a single dude at what will be a relatively "conventional" wedding, I do want to stand out but not in a bad way.

Alucrid

Banned
I've used Dylon before with decent results. Getting a nice dark black is tough though without doing it multiple times. Even then it might turn out more of a dark grey / navy ish color. Also keep in mind that the stitching on the shirt might not take the dye, resulting in a blackish shirt with white stitching.

CFMOORE!

I don't wear ties much in general, but damn if I don't wish Australians had more tolerance for bowties.

I really love bow ties. I tend to wear one once or twice a month on Fridays here at work. I get TONS of compliments from women and men. My girlfriend saw my eyes meet with that one and she bought it for me right then.

Here in LA they are less rare but worn in too hipster a fashion.

I really love bow ties. I tend to wear one once or twice a month on Fridays here at work. I get TONS of compliments from women and men. My girlfriend saw my eyes meet with that one and she bought it for me right then.

Here in LA they are less rare but worn in too hipster a fashion.
oh btw, are those the epaulet sneakers?

Yeah, I'm worried it will look a little too folk indie trendy.

As a single dude at what will be a relatively "conventional" wedding, I do want to stand out but not in a bad way.
khaki suit with spectators?

Go_Ly_Dow

I've used Dylon before with decent results. Getting a nice dark black is tough though without doing it multiple times. Even then it might turn out more of a dark grey / navy ish color. Also keep in mind that the stitching on the shirt might not take the dye, resulting in a blackish shirt with white stitching.

cheers, will give it a go.

overcast

Alright my fashion bros. Package came in from Zara. Green chinos fit like a dream. Same with the floral shirt. But I'm really scared of the latter shrinking. It's too perfect almost. I'll post a pic later, but how is polyester with shrinking? It's 100%

Alucrid

Banned
Alright my fashion bros. Package came in from Zara. Green chinos fit like a dream. Same with the floral shirt. But I'm really scared of the latter shrinking. It's too perfect almost. I'll post a pic later, but how is polyester with shrinking? It's 100%

wash cold + delicate, hang dry

overcast

Alright, I promised you guys pictures and you'll get them. As usual comments are appreciated. Mainly asking about the fit on it. I have one selfie, and acutally had a camera person this time.
This man has no ass.

overcast

Ask nicki minaj for her plastic surgeon.
Lmao. Funny how well jokes work if you keep up on GAF too.

But how's the fit otherwise? Upper body wise. Just wondering cause I wanted another one, and was wondering if I should stick to L or go XL. I just have to be careful of the wash, and eventually I'll get bigger arms if I keep working out :eek:

Granadier

Must have been a propane leak, cause shit's burning in here.

As for the shirt.
It falls on your chest a little awkwardly with your hands by your sides, (same shit happens with me), but if you keep a hand in your pocket or something to bring your shoulders up and push out your chest I think that will go away.

Pull your pants up a bit more and see if that bunching in your crotch goes away. Maybe wear a belt to keep them up.

Otherwise, nice outfit. I think you could pull it off.

zeopower6

I dunno, I swear the shirt looks fine to me... at least it seems like it'd look fine in motion since you were sort of in that 'fashion lookbook-y pose'. Since that's a large, your torso must be really big! D: I think XL might be too large on you.. is it because you're concerned about the tightness around the arms?

Seriously, who sells the best white dress shirts? The kind that have actual white/clear buttons, not that yellow piss shit? And whats the best method to clean the collars? OxyClean?

Alucrid

Banned
Seriously, who sells the best white dress shirts? The kind that have actual white/clear buttons, not that yellow piss shit? And whats the best method to clean the collars? OxyClean?

I like Patrik Ervell's dress shirts personally. If you don't feel like spending 100-200 for one though, Uniqlo.

the answer will depend on how much you want to spend, but if you mean traditional dress shirts, brooks are a good choice for the retail price, and you can often get borelli or finamore napoli (both slim, the latter very much so) for discount on the innanets.

also peep brian dales and mauro grifoni, since you can get them off yoox for pretty cheap, and the former have nice details like crow's feet stitching, fused collars, and the like, while the latter have a nice slim fit and good patterns/etc

overcast

I dunno, I swear the shirt looks fine to me... at least it seems like it'd look fine in motion since you were sort of in that 'fashion lookbook-y pose'. Since that's a large, your torso must be really big! D: I think XL might be too large on you.. is it because you're concerned about the tightness around the arms?
I think I am just over exaggerating. It feels fine for sure, I'm a little scared of my arms getting bigger is the main issue, but it has breathing room even when I do the arm raise (to make sure it doesn't go crop top on me, you feel?). Definitely scared it would shrink, cause if it gets any smaller I'm done for.

Mac, what do you think? You see these things well.

If I can borrow a moment of fashion-GAF's time to help the fashionably uneducated, I've got a couple of questions.

1. I'm soon going to be in need of a suit and I'm wondering whats the best place/places to find one. I'm out near Chicago if that helps as far as regional stores etc. There is the balance of cost vs quality to consider but I'm not necessarily sure where to even start since my job doesn't require formal clothes ever(gift and curse of a programming job it seems)

2. On top of this, as I'm relatively fresh from college and now making a salary I'm hoping to update my wardrobe all around. My main concern is my height, I'm 6'5" 207 lbs so I find fit to be an issue sometimes around the shoulders and arms, are there any tall fashionGAFers that can point me to where you've found some success.

Suit Supply has an outlet near the Mag Mile if you want to try on a bunch of great suits with a knowledgeable sales rep. They are a little pricey.

If you're looking for a first suit you can go anywhere. Pick a color (generally navy, gray or charcoal), a fabric (most likely wool) and find a good tailor. The right fit on a suit is more important the anything else.

Granadier

Yup. Like I said, I'm 6'3. Still feel like XL will be too big, with this being a little too small. Awkward ass body.

Thanks for the write up Granadier.

For sure. I'm 6'5 and a similar build to you, so I feel your pain!

Top Bottom