• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

NinjaBoiX

35409_blacksu_2.jpg
Wow, those are really hideous. The sole looks like it's made of bread.

SoulPlaya

more money than God

Kraftwerk

I saw some guy the other day, and it made me very jealous. I need to fast-track my current project so I can afford baller stuff.

He was easily wearing $10000 + worth of clothing. I recognised his Balmain crest biker jacket instantly. I was staring at it too obviously.

Fashion Gods, help me become successful, and I swear to sacrifice a pair of MMM shows in your honor.

How can I tell the difference between casual brown shoes and professional brown shoes? Will it be the lighter color soles that signal casual attire?

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I'm a bit confused. I'm trying to order the Wallabees from their website, so I looked at other pics of it.

From ebay pics, it seems like this is a better representation of the boots.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clarks-...id=100033&prg=9790&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=131054036007
Black leather

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clarks-Originals-Wallabee-Mens-BLACK-suede-Boots-35409-New-/131054036007
Black suede

Anyone mind clicking on the links and telling me their opinions?
Still unsure of which to go with. One thing I hate on my shoes are creases. Are suede shoes less susceptible to them than leather ones?

NinjaBoiX

Right, because no adult gets jealous of houses, cars, and other signs of wealth. Get real.
Oh yeah, I get that. If it was like "oh man, I saw this guy wearing the 'x' jacket I've wanted or months, I was so jealous!"

But "he was wearing expensive clothes, I was jealous" sounds incredibly shallow. It's very telling that he didn't mention whether he looked cool or anything, simply expensive.

I just find people commenting on how much things cost first and foremost really tacky.

(didn't intend to come across as a dig at you personally Kraftwerk, I just hate this "money=style" thought process.

Oh yeah, I get that. If it was like "oh man, I saw this guy wearing the 'x' jacket I've wanted or months, I was so jealous!"

But "he was wearing expensive clothes, I was jealous" sounds incredibly shallow. It's very telling that he didn't mention whether he looked cool or anything, simply expensive.

I just find people commenting on how much things cost first and foremost really tacky.

(didn't intend to come across as a dig at you personally Kraftwerk, I just hate this "money=style" thought process.

He mentioned he had a Balmain jacket. It wasn't just about the price it was how he recognized the pieces and knew their cost. It's already a given that he thought whatever the guy was wearing was nice.

And even if it wasn't nice. Maybe he was jealous of the ability to buy what you want without being held back. How many of us dream of building a wardrobe where money isn't an issue.

NinjaBoiX

He mentioned he had a Balmain jacket. It wasn't just about the price it was how he recognized the pieces and knew their cost. It's already a given that he thought whatever the guy was wearing was nice.
Fair enough, I just find spending that much money on clothes to be gross, and being impressed by it even more so.

I dunno, just the "he was easily wearing $10000+ worth of clothing" line just made me roll my eyes so hard. Who gives a fuck? It's just not the kind of thing I can ever see myself being impressed by, it seems incredibly superficial and juvenile.

Each to their own I guess.

I saw some guy the other day, and it made me very jealous. I need to fast-track my current project so I can afford baller stuff.

He was easily wearing $10000 + worth of clothing. I recognised his Balmain crest biker jacket instantly. I was staring at it too obviously.

Fashion Gods, help me become successful, and I swear to sacrifice a pair of MMM shows in your honor.
Become a fully qualified actuary, become a consultant and charge clients £1,000 a day

Kraftwerk

Eh, it's not as if it enraged me, I just felt jealous, and for me that is an emotion that drives me. I know it might sound silly to some folk, but everyone has different vices. If he can have that jacket, why can't I?

But enough of that, Ninjas comments are irrelevant anyway. Same person who called dip dye tacky and whatnot.

:)

Anyway....

Dat Balmain jacket doe. Sunlight was hitting the crest on the sleeve, the light bouncing off it and blinding all the fashion plebs downtown.

NinjaBoiX

Ninjas comments are irrelevant anyway. Same person who called dip dye tacky and whatnot.

:)
Haha, fair play man.

As I say, it probably came across a more of a personal attack than was intended, it was just an observation made first thing in the morning. Was being a bit of a minge maybe...

But you're right, I'm on a completely different wavelength fashion wise to a lot of you guys in here! I like some of the stuff, but the price just kills it as a consideration for me a lot of the time. It's still a fun thread, and I got my scrimp bros like Overcast and whatnot to slum it wit.

:p

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I have a pair of factory-second Allen Edmonds that I've only worn a few times, but the soles got really beat up this past weekend (walked/ran a bunch on concrete). How do I know if I need to take them in to have the sole repaired/replaced? This is my first pair of nicer leather dress shoes so I don't really have enough experience to know. I can take pictures and upload them later tonight if that would help.

Alucrid

Banned
There's no way you could wreck a shoes soles in a weekend. If you're talking about the leather soles, then yeah, they're probably done for, but that's mostly for aesthetics anyways. If you want to protect them I'd probably put topy or vibram on the bottom, maybe heel taps if you want. Otherwise it'll be a while before you actually need to replace them

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
There's no way you could wreck a shoes soles in a weekend. If you're talking about the leather soles, then yeah, they're probably done for, but that's mostly for aesthetics anyways. If you want to protect them I'd probably put topy or vibram on the bottom, maybe heel taps if you want. Otherwise it'll be a while before you actually need to replace them

Ah, well that's good news. I don't really care about the aesthetics of the sole, but yeah it does look basically the leather has been stripped revealing the grey of whatever the sole is actually made of underneath in a couple of large patches.

I'll look into adding a Topy or Vibram layer...any downsides to either? Is that expensive to have done?

Alucrid

Banned
Ah, well that's good news. I don't really care about the aesthetics of the sole, but yeah it does look basically the leather has been stripped revealing the grey of whatever the sole is actually made of underneath in a couple of large patches.

I'll look into adding a Topy or Vibram layer...any downsides to either? Is that expensive to have done?

nah, it'll maybe run you 20-30 ish depending on where you go. no downside really since all the wear ends up on the added sole which can be easily replaced once worn through. should end up looking like this

DSC_6914.jpg

DSC_6927.jpg

Antagon

I have a pair of factory-second Allen Edmonds that I've only worn a few times, but the soles got really beat up this past weekend (walked/ran a bunch on concrete). How do I know if I need to take them in to have the sole repaired/replaced? This is my first pair of nicer leather dress shoes so I don't really have enough experience to know. I can take pictures and upload them later tonight if that would help.

You mean that it looks like this, right?

3CAiWMK.jpg

That's completely normal. It'll roughen up worse, gives some traction. You don't have to replace the soles until they get very thin/soft. A decent leather sole should last years.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
nah, it'll maybe run you 20-30 ish depending on where you go. no downside really since all the wear ends up on the added sole which can be easily replaced once worn through. should end up looking like this

<image removed>
<image removed>

Cool, I wish I'd known about that before I started wearing them. Would've just had it done immediately after buying them. I'll keep that in mind for my next pair though for sure (or when I get these resoled in the future)

You mean that it looks like this, right?

<image removed>

That's completely normal. It'll roughen up worse, gives some traction. You don't have to replace the soles until they get very thin/soft. A decent leather sole should last years.

Yeah it's slightly worse than that, and the wear-through is grey and not tan, but same idea. The entire area is still really firm/hard.

NinjaBoiX

Alucrid has cool footwear, simple and classic.

Are those the trousers you got the other week? They look good. I assumed they were a bit wider at the bottom on the pic you posted before though.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, maybe. I like a loose fit on trousers, much more comfortable and looks better to me. I'm a fan of flat drawstrings too for some reason. Dark blue as well, spot on.

I might seek out a similar scrimp version that my wallet will accommodate.

I do a few every once in a while when i have the opportunity, (when in Chennai or HK)
if you have unusual it's great (i'm very tall and thin) and not that expensive.

NinjaBoiX

What's the best way to deal with suede shoes?

Every night out I wear them, I come back looking like I've been kicking belt sanders for 3 hours.
Keep them dry and the weft of the fabric, um, healthy I guess?

So use a waterproof protector spray, Punch is really good, and use a soft brush to remove the (dry) dirt and stains.

Also, try to brush with the flow of the suede not against it.

Alucrid

Banned
Keep them dry and the weft of the fabric, um, healthy I guess?

So use a waterproof protector spray, Punch is really good, and use a soft brush to remove the (dry) dirt and stains.

Also, try to brush with the flow of the suede not against it.
Weft is for woven goods, you're looking for grain.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I typically do a lot of plain color tees and various colors of non-cargo pocket shorts in the summer. You guys have any good places to get good, slim fitting, tees? Most of mine are Target, somehow they actually have solid shirts there.

Maybe that's the best way to go for plain stuff.

I need to figure out good shoes for shorts though. I have a few pairs of Sperrys but don't wear them much.

overcast

Ninja brings a lot to the table for me though.

I am fashion inspired by the lot of you overall of course. Helps to get multiple opinions from the different perspectives, all these sites. Sometimes despite being broke, the expensive shit certainly is fun to look at.

We're missing Mac and ill though.

Top Bottom