• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

TnK

What do you like though?

Nice classy stuff like the suit in this page, and also the jackets nottheguyyoukill posted in page 141. I guess stuff that lean more towards elegance. Also, anything that is not too out there, and is more grounded. I really don't know how to explain it, but something that is not trying too hard. Which is what I find a good number of designs are doing here, and that is trying too hard.
Also, from experience, the majority of girls (including 9s and 10s) dig this style, so I know I am doing something right at least, lol.
wow i thought this was a safe place™

image.php

Sorry dude, this had to be done, even if it is 10 pages late.

it's customary to post pictures of what you are wearing, and not avatar quote a joke avatar.

also 'trying too hard' is a terrible criticism on a forum where wearing a suit at all is seen as 'trying too hard'

Desi

I also like a lot of haider ackermann that i've seen this season but even dipping into that would pretty much require a reset of my closet, and am not gonna do that again
but it is oh so worth it! Except not because his prices are asinine.

visually I like Rad Hourani too but just can't throw money around for something so "conceptual"

RAD_HOURANI_13_LOOK_08_LOW.jpg

TnK

it's customary to post pictures of what you are wearing, and not avatar quote a joke avatar.

also 'trying too hard' is a terrible criticism on a forum where wearing a suit at all is seen as 'trying too hard'

So I can't even joke with your joke avatar? That sucks =|
An example of something I would wear would be a black buttoned shirt, grey pants, and black shoes. Also, add these cufflinks with the shirt:

When was wearing a suit trying too hard? Time to give examples of trying too hard vs good stuff:
trying too hard
Meek-Mill-Giuseppe-zanotti-homme-double-gold-plate-sneakers-upscalehype.jpeg

41ae98dc492bb2ca486947bcf0f22dff.jpg

ackermann+shoes+2.png

_ON_0305.450x675.JPG

P7230246.jpg

CMDM-5.jpg

(I don't like the pants for these)
Good stuff
That suit would also look better if it did not have those pics on the suit itself, but that's fashion shows for you I guess.
lol it's hard to find good stuff....

i'm just fuckin around, but my beef with 'trying to hard' is that it is more or less relative, those cufflinks look way too 'try hard' to me; it's really a matter of what you're comfortable in wearing, and that's really all it comes down to. there are dudes who look like they're trying too hard in a buttoned shirt, and you'll see them all over clubs. a waxed moto jacket could look try hard on somebody.

i dunno, i already have the standard 'look good in clothing', so at this point, I am all about getting plague doctor prints on suits now

i also hate more or less everything about rad hourani but that's another subject.

Desi

well everybody has gots to hate something. I am just here this year to get a couple Brooklyn Tailor suits and a furry coat.

i don't even know why, I just do. I mean I like some of the stuff, but something about the brand just rubs me raw.

how furry you talking? alpaca furry, or fur-furry?

Desi

Something like this:

_LKV8104.450x675.JPG

I am very boring these days. Also very tacky; visited the Barker Black site three times last month.

Alucrid

Banned
An example of something I would wear would be a black buttoned shirt, grey pants, and black shoes. Also, add these cufflinks with the shirt:

When was wearing a suit trying too hard? Time to give examples of trying too hard vs good stuff:
trying too hard

Good stuff

That suit would also look better if it did not have those pics on the suit itself, but that's fashion shows for you I guess.

do those cuff links double as a can opener or something

edit; mesh eh, must be geller

or is that waffle knit

TnK

i'm just fuckin around, but my beef with 'trying to hard' is that it is more or less relative, those cufflinks look way too 'try hard' to me; it's really a matter of what you're comfortable in wearing, and that's really all it comes down to. there are dudes who look like they're trying too hard in a buttoned shirt, and you'll see them all over clubs. a waxed moto jacket could look try hard on somebody.

i dunno, i already have the standard 'look good in clothing', so at this point, I am all about getting plague doctor prints on suits now

i also hate more or less everything about rad hourani but that's another subject.
I never got any complaints for those cuffflinks, and actually mostly got complements. Those cufflinks are awesome because they are actual gears that move. Also, both rotate each other with the smaller gear acting as the pinion and larger acting as the gear. They look perfect on a black shirt.

In the end, it's like you said. Depends on what looks good on you, and what works.
I find this addendum highly amusing.
As it should be, lol. Giving credibility of how the stuff I wear works in attracting the opposite gender. Although other factors play as well.
do those cuff links double as a can opener or something

edit; mesh eh, must be geller

or is that waffle knit
Nah, they just do this:
Gears_animation.gif

NinjaBoiX

Giving credibility of how the stuff I wear works in attracting the opposite gender.
Really hot ones too.

(Yeah, I got that dude. Hence the amusement.)

And those cufflinks are the definition of tacky and trying to hard.

Even before I found out that they actually move.

why.jpg

I look at it like this; you have your clothing attributes (gaudiness, quality, acceptability), and you provide various +/- modifiers based on personality, looks, attitude. Now you can do a jack of all trades approach, but sometimes it's nice to min max your stats based on the enemy encounters and the needs of the adventuring party.

If you're at 99 attractiveness and you put on some gaudy tacky shit the penalty is minimized. However if you're at like 10 attractiveness and you wear something nice the bonus is also minimized because of your horrible horrible face.

magnetic closures. I don't want your fingers getting caught.

If you're at 99 attractiveness and you put on some gaudy tacky shit the penalty is minimized. However if you're at like 10 attractiveness and you wear something nice the bonus is also minimized because of your horrible horrible face.
sorry, this is d20 classic, we're not going past level 20

Hi guys, I'm after some help - but not sure I can describe this too well.

What I'm looking for is a shirt, dress/formal shirt, where the collars stay very firm. I've seen people wearing them around town and the collar is almost stuck down. As in there is very little, almost zero, space between the collar and the shirt.

I don't know if that makes sense. I've tried to google to find a picture of what I'm looking for but can't find anything. Any ideas?

Edit - Are magnetic collar stays an answer?

Alucrid

Banned

What I'm looking for is a shirt, dress/formal shirt, where the collars stay very firm. I've seen people wearing them around town and the collar is almost stuck down. As in there is very little, almost zero, space between the collar and the shirt.

I don't know if that makes sense. I've tried to google to find a picture of what I'm looking for but can't find anything. Any ideas?

Like, are you looking for a certain type of collar? Like, is a spread collar what you're talking about?

magnetic collar stays will help them stay downx, but it sounds like you're seeing soft (as in not fuse-lined for thickness and shape), narrow collars that are being ironed flat down on top of the shirt. I have a couple of sport shirts I do this with from time to time.

TnK

Really hot ones too.

(Yeah, I got that dude. Hence the amusement.)

And those cufflinks are the definition of tacky and trying to hard.

Even before I found out that they actually move.

why.jpg
My cufflinks ='(
I have an attachment to them as I am a mechanical engineer, and they were a gift. They are my favorite Dunhill cufflinks that I own.

What does attracting 9's and 10's have to do with clothing? Seems like that's more of a how good are your genetics issue.

Quoting these two because they are related. Even if the person infront of you is extremely attractive, gaudy tacky shit is gaudy tacky shit. It takes all that attractiveness and throws it in the garbage. This is what I think when I see a gorgeous girl in cloths that make me go "the hell is this"

Also, is the law of attraction only based on genetic makeup? If so, why do threads like this exist then? I don't know man, looks like this is contradictory to me

I look at it like this; you have your clothing attributes (gaudiness, quality, acceptability), and you provide various +/- modifiers based on personality, looks, attitude. Now you can do a jack of all trades approach, but sometimes it's nice to min max your stats based on the enemy encounters and the needs of the adventuring party.
You had me in the first half, then I lost it in the second. Enemy encounters, and adventuring party wha?

Alucrid

Banned
My cufflinks ='(
I have an attachment to them as I am a mechanical engineer, and they were a gift. They are my favorite Dunhill cufflinks that I own.

Quoting these two because they are related. Even if the person infront of you is extremely attractive, gaudy tacky shit is gaudy tacky shit. It takes all that attractiveness and throws it in the garbage. This is what I think when I see a gorgeous girl in cloths that make me go "the hell is this"

Also, is the law of attraction only based on genetic makeup? If so, why do threads like this exist then? I don't know man, looks like this is contradictory to me

You had me in the first half, then I lost it in the second. Enemy encounters, and adventuring party wha?

What do you mean? We just talk about clothes here.

nah there just isn't much traffic for old obscure 4x space games and whatnot. I did post in the demon's souls OTs pretty often when I was obsessed played that game.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Your "good stuff" is relative. What will you do with all the pockets on the jacket?

I just think it's silly when you're quoting this as trying to hard, yet you would wear cufflings.

Good stuff

TnK

Mac, there is that star citizen game coming out if that is your sort of thing I guess.
Your "good stuff" is relative. What will you do with all the pockets on the jacket?

I just think it's silly when you're quoting this as trying to hard, yet you would wear cufflings.
What's wrong with wearing cufflinks?

Let's compare: small accessory on the shirt that actually does something vs the stuff I posted. Cufflinks are tackier? I don't know man, I feel that they don't really compare.

Since you guys find that cufflink tacky, here is an example of good cufflinks;

I have this feeling there is a lot of butthurt flowing in this thread. Chill brahs.
tnk is trying too hard in this thread.
Aw c'mon man, don't say stuff like that =|
Bam Bam, next OT should be titled "your favorite style is shit" or something like that, lol.

Kraftwerk

TnK,

Not sure what you are trying to prove here. This might come as a shock to you, but people like different things; actually, legitimately have varying taste.

It's fair if you offer some critique on someone else's purchase, such as when NinjaBoiX did on Drip Dye shirts via his eloquent thesis, but to make assumptions on other peoples characters by saying things such as "trying too hard" is absurd.

Nobody here is buying these items to make you notice them.

And after all of this, you make another ridiculous comment such as this;

Also, from experience, the majority of girls (including 9s and 10s) dig this style, so I know I am doing something right at least, lol.

That, my friend, is trying too hard.

Must be nice to constantly be surrounded by supermodels.

TnK

TnK,

Not sure what you are trying to prove here. This might come as a shock to you, but people like different things; actually, legitimately have varying taste.

It's fair if you offer some critique on someone else's purchase, such as when NinjaBoiX did on Drip Dye shirts via his eloquent thesis, but to make assumptions on other peoples characters by saying things such as "trying too hard" is absurd.

Nobody here is buying these items to make you notice them.

And after all of this, you make another ridiculous comment such as this;

That, my friend, is trying too hard.

Must be nice to constantly be surrounded by supermodels.
Eh, merely mentioned that to show that the choice I made works. Then again, that probably happens due to other factors really, and not the choice of wardrobe I have.

Also, like I mentioned before, I don't know which word to use. I guess the closest I want to say is overdoing it. You know how people complain that nomura over designs characters? Some of the stuff here seem a bit too far out there, like his designs.

I honestly have to say though, you can't criticize other people's choices in this thread and give pointers?

Alucrid

Banned
Eh, merely mentioned that to show that the choice I made works. Then again, that probably happens due to other factors really, and not the choice of wardrobe I have.

Also, like I mentioned before, I don't know which word to use. I guess the closest I want to say is overdoing it. You know how people complain that nomura over designs characters? Some of the stuff here seem a bit too far out there, like his designs.

I honestly have to say though, you can't criticize other people's choices in this thread and give pointers?

That's operating under the assumption that everyone here dresses the way they do solely to fuck those 9s and 10s you're talking about. Other people actually like pieces of clothes for what they are. There's also a difference between giving valid criticism like, "Poody, I think those pants would benefit from a sloppier cuff" and "Poody you're trying too hard"

Salazar

I'd buy indigo jackets at a similar, if not accelerated, rate if some kinda virus wiped out all the women on earth.

Not about that.

TnK

Lol I love the fact that a number of you think I am bullshiting regarding the 9s and 10s. Whatever though, this is not the thread for that sort of talk apparently.

Also, I simply picked the stuff that looked bad from the thread, I wasn't directly attacking anyone or anything. For all I know, it could have been posted to be criticized like Bam Bam's post. Now I know that nope, they were posted for real.

Again I will mention for the 3rd time, I did not know which word to use exactly. If anything, some of the stuff posted here look too overdesigned, and would be out of style in 3-4 months. Does that mean you would look bad in them? Nope. Hell, I don't even know if the guys here even wear them or just post them. It's just my opinion regarding those pieces of clothing. Why did you all suddenly get personally offended from my post? I don't know.

Alucrid

Banned
Lol I love the fact that a number of you think I am bullshiting regarding the 9s and 10s. Whatever though, this is not the thread for that sort of talk apparently.

It's not about whether or not you're bullshitting, it's just that no one really cares.

Also, I simply picked the stuff that looked bad from the thread, I wasn't directly attacking anyone or anything. For all I know, it could have been posted to be criticized like Bam Bam's post. Now I know that nope, they were posted for real.

Again I will mention for the 3rd time, I did not know which word to use exactly. If anything, some of the stuff posted here look too overdesigned, and would be out of style in 3-4 months. Does that mean you would look bad in them? Nope. Hell, I don't even know if the guys here even wear them or just post them. It's just my opinion regarding those pieces of clothing. Why did you all suddenly get personally offended from my post? I don't know.

I don't get why you think that nor do I understand why you continue to try and harp on that point, but okay.

TnK

It's not about whether or not you're bullshitting, it's just that no one really cares.

I don't get why you think that nor do I understand why you continue to try and harp on that point, but okay.
No one really cares yet a lot of people point it out. Shows the non caring part, lol.

It's the general negativity that gives that impression. If it was truly not the case, there wouldn't be that many replies about saying "trying too hard"

Anyways, these cufflinks look awesome:
Simple and would look excellent on a white or grey shirt.

Alucrid

Banned
No one really cares yet a lot of people point it out. Shows the non caring part, lol.

It's the general negativity that gives that impression. If it was truly not the case, there wouldn't be that many replies about saying "trying too hard"

Anyways, these cufflinks look awesome:

Simple and would look excellent on a white or grey shirt.

Yeah, because your first post in this thread was so positive.

TnK

I don't know, seems like a normal question to me. If it was too negative, I honestly wouldn't have posted it here as my first post.

I was only talking from my point to view. I mentioned is it odd that I find most of the stuff etc. Plus, isn't it inherit in these kinds of threads that one shouldn't care too much about what other people think? You are posting in a men's fashion thread where all kinds of styles are shown, and not everything will appeal to everyone. I merely mentioned what appeals to me, and what I like. That includes why I dislike a certain style. Does that mean you as a person have to be completely judged on what you wear? Not necessarily as that would be dumb.

Did I get personally offended that the cufflinks I posted were seen as tacky? Nope. Why? Cause I love them, and I received a good number of complements as to how they look good. If others don't like it, there is no problem with that as it is their point of view.

I post stuff like this in both the metal thread and figure thread and I don't get reactions like this.

Figuregaf that love their plastic animu waifus have much more tolerance than you guys when I ask why they love those things so much. Let that sink in for a moment.
Also I mentioned how I find Rust in Peace to be over rated and had a good discussion there.

Clothes are srs bzns apparently.

Top Bottom