• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

About to start a job that pays around 5 times any other one I've had. Is pretty exciting as I'll be able to afford most of the clothes in this thread rather than just appreciate them. Bit scary at the same time though, could easily become a sink hole :p Not really sure where I'll start, basically going from barely being able to afford Naked and Famous jeans to being able to afford Saint Laurent :p

Are momotaro jeans really that noticeable a boost in quality compared to say, Naked and Famous? Any stores where one might try them on if you don't live in NYC?

overcast

I'm trying to get my degree in English and become a HS teacher. At best I'll be a sorta stylish teacher. Never reaching that clothing price limit some of you have.

For better or for worse.

About to start a job that pays around 5 times any other one I've had. Is pretty exciting as I'll be able to afford most of the clothes in this thread rather than just appreciate them. Bit scary at the same time though, could easily become a sink hole :p Not really sure where I'll start, basically going from barely being able to afford Naked and Famous jeans to being able to afford Saint Laurent :p

Are momotaro jeans really that noticeable a boost in quality compared to say, Naked and Famous? Any stores where one might try them on if you don't live in NYC?

Momotaro, huh? Are you like a denim head, or do you care more about stylish jeans that are better quality than Naked and Famous? Because while Momotaro jeans are pretty good quality, I wouldn't exactly call them stylish. If you can fuck with Saint Laurent prices, why not just fuck with Saint Laurent, or something similar to that?

Momotaro, huh? Are you like a denim head, or do you care more about stylish jeans that are better quality than Naked and Famous? Because while Momotaro jeans are pretty good quality, I wouldn't exactly call them stylish. If you can fuck with Saint Laurent prices, why not just fuck with Saint Laurent, or something similar to that?

Wouldn't really call myself a denim head, just like nice jeans and now that I'm about to be making good money I want to expand my horizons a bit beyond Naked/APC. Have just seen Momotaro mentioned as a great brand.

And while I'll be able to afford Saint Laurent, it seems a bit like going from riding a hand me down bicycle to a ducati the next day :p

Wouldn't really call myself a denim head, just like nice jeans and now that I'm about to be making good money I want to expand my horizons a bit beyond Naked/APC. Have just seen Momotaro mentioned as a great brand.

And while I'll be able to afford Saint Laurent, it seems a bit like going from riding a hand me down bicycle to a ducati the next day :p

Sometimes ya gotta just jump in the deep end

Have you tried Acne? Always fit a little too loose on me, but people seem to love it.

Anyways, speaking of Saint Laurent.

I tried on that bomber I wanted to get, but it fit too big on me (even a 42 did ):) so I'm thinking about getting this instead.

_ON_0305.450x675.JPG

Too much? It's certainly a statement piece, but I think if you dress it down, it could work.

i was thinking like maroon cashmere sweater / black skinnies / suede high healed chelseas which is only dressing down in comparison to the giant fucking leopard print coat

ah i thought you meant more street, but that would be good too.

speaking of dandy indulgence, I am strangely obsessed with this suit, and pretty much all of v&r I'm seeing on yoox right now

I also like a lot of haider ackermann that i've seen this season but even dipping into that would pretty much require a reset of my closet, and am not gonna do that again

a lot of those hardcore denim labels make achingly good products, but often look, well, borderline frumpy. I'll say that I saw a lot of slp in vegas, and whatever you may think of the presentation on the runway, the individual regular dude items (leathers, denims, etc) are pretty damn great. it's actually kind of old-school late 90s shit in a way, very simple and direct stuff made well.

Sometimes ya gotta just jump in the deep end

Have you tried Acne? Always fit a little too loose on me, but people seem to love it.

Heh, maybe so. And I'll try Acne next time I'm at Nordstroms. They have a lot of jackets I like but I haven't ever tried a pair of their jeans on.

a lot of those hardcore denim labels make achingly good products, but often look, well, borderline frumpy. I'll say that I saw a lot of slp in vegas, and whatever you may think of the presentation on the runway, the individual regular dude items (leathers, denims, etc) are pretty damn great. it's actually kind of old-school late 90s shit in a way, very simple and direct stuff made well.

Yeah, don't really want to look frumpy. Actually have a Saint Laurent store downtown so I might stop by next time at the galleria
once I get my first paycheck or two

Bliany

Neogaf I need your help. The shirt I was supposed to buy for a wedding (i'm a groomsman) is sold out online (looking for medium). Can anyone help me find something similar? Thanks!

Said shirt

VoxPop

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm about to do away with my wallet and go for a nice looking money clip that holds cards along with cash. Flat as possible. Any suggestions?

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Damn my credit card took a hit. Just bought this entire Ziggy Chen getup from vertice london. All i need now is for LA to cool down, it's so hard to layer up here.

P7230246.jpg

Liquid_015

Gold Member
WTS - Repost

Brand New - A.P.C Suede Backpack (Navy Blue) w/ A.P.C cover bag!

Bought it recently, and has never been used at all! Selling for $80! PM me if interested!

Here's an image of the backpack:

apc-blue-suede-trimmed-backpack-product-1-16567455-0-278949139-normal_large_flex.jpeg

201A99CC.jpg

EVOL 100%

Jesus Christ. I liked some of Ziggy Chen's stuff posted here but they ask for more than my monthly income for one piece of clothing sometimes

Any cheaper equivalents?

NinjaBoiX

Is it odd that I find a good number of stuff posted in this thread down right bad or tacky?
No, I do too sometimes.

But that would be fine if they were just normal prices, kind of like, "well why not, screw it, look a bit different."

But when the prices are actually obscene, like $7,500 for a leopard print coat (fucking leopard print) or $800 for that tatty, moth eaten looking Ziggy Chen scarf that it looks like you found in a bin, my head is just full of fuck.

I am probably too safe with my fashion choices at times, and I have respect for those willing to wear stuff a bit crazy or daring, but some of the prices you guys pay for this privilege are simply idiotic to me.

/unpopular opinion

EVOL 100%

People blow a lot of money on unnecessary things anyway. The amount of money I spend on musical equipment is obscene. Just different priorities

As for the choices posted on this thread, as a long time lurker I'll see about only 1 out 10 things that I actually like. But really, there wouldn't be much point or fun in this thread if people just posted well tailored classic suits all the time. Some of the craziness is what makes me come back to this thread even though I barely buy anything these days, personally

NinjaBoiX

True, I'm probably just bitter that I don't have that kind of disposable income.

And I do love seeing all the different styles you guys are into, I'm digging the Ziggy Chen stuff in the main.

I enjoy this thread, it's usually good craic if nothing else!

TnK

I don't see a problem with spending a good amount of money on clothes, but if you are willing to do so, please invest in something that's aesthetically pleasing.

There is looking good and fashionable, and then there is looking like a buffoon, lol.

I wouldn't mind spending $7500 on something that looks really good.

NinjaBoiX

I'd hate myself if I'd spent the price of a cheap car or a really good holiday on one garment, I'd feel guilty every time I wore it. Especially if it was leopard print, lol. Drag Queen chic isn't my stamp.

But of course it's all objective innit, if you earn $100,000 a year, I guess you can afford to buy stuff like that.

Without a hint of exaggeration, I could quite easily kit out a full wardrobe for that kind of money.

I don't see a problem with spending a good amount of money on clothes, but if you are willing to do so, please invest in something that's aesthetically pleasing.

There is looking good and fashionable, and then there is looking like a buffoon, lol.

I wouldn't mind spending $7500 on something that looks really good.
what is aesthetically pleasing is highly subjective though

"Well, I don't know how many years on this Earth I got left. I'm going to get really weird with it."

Now Mr. Reynolds is talking about banging his dead wife's sister, but this applies to fashion choices as well.

how are they compared to the typical designer sneak? I dig the strappy hi's.

i don't have that much designer sneakers:
A pair of kenzo that where boxing style boots/sneakers: they were crap
A pair of Tod's that i killed by wearing too frequently
Just got a pair of Silent Damir Doma that are really comfy
i have a lot of NS Sneakers (around 10 i'd say)
Serie 5 (the mid top with the strap are really nice) are the workhorse: hi-top-ey enough to my taste but less annoying to put on than the Serie 1 without zip.
Serie 3 had a shitty break-in period where my heels was tortured but for the few time i fancy low tops they do the job.

And National Standard is really easy to find on sales so the premium compared to usual brand is not that traumatizing

Word of advice, go bespoke. Anything else is arse wipe.

It really depends of your morphology, you can find very nice things in Ready to Wear (like Kiton or Tom Ford)
And a good taylor will do wonder.

With all the entry Made2Measure, there is a lot of shoddy pseudo bespoke.
True Bespoke will set you back a few grands unless you are in India/China

Top Bottom