• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Like, are you looking for a certain type of collar? Like, is a spread collar what you're talking about?

magnetic collar stays will help them stay downx, but it sounds like you're seeing soft (as in not fuse-lined for thickness and shape), narrow collars that are being ironed flat down on top of the shirt. I have a couple of sport shirts I do this with from time to time.

Is there a pic of what you're describing? Like mac said you could get magnetic collars or collars with hidden buttons.

For what they're asking it's more than fair.
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking for something a bit like this.

Wurkin-Stiff-Collar-Stays.jpg

I know the above is using magnetic collar stays. I've had a look at the hidden button down collar and that's also pretty much what I'm after. They seem harder to get (I'll have a proper look later) so I will go with magnetic stays for now and see how they work.

The reason I'm asking in general is cos I don't always wear a tie to work but I hate the flappy and open collar look.

Lirlond

Why are all those cufflinks by the same designer?? I find anything with a logo on it gaudy. Ralph Lauren shirts are nice but fuck that fucking guy on the horse.

TnK

Because they are all from Dunhill. Out of all the places I bought cufflinks from, they are my favorite, hence why I am posting pics of them.
Last one I posted does not have a logo on it.

TnK

Check out these dope ass cufflinks.

pigx-large.jpg
This is lol. Those eyes man, they scream intimacy.
i'm not opposed to animals, I'm quite bewitched by these rabbit heads

but these are an inch wide too. am I crazy in thinking that's big as fuck? cufflink bros pls respond.
Nah, not crazy at all. Do please let out those misdirected thoughts, and go for them.

Where'd you guys find these?

This is lol. Those eyes man, they scream intimacy.

Nah, not crazy at all. Do please let out those misdirected thoughts, and go for them.

Where'd you guys find these?
the greek ones are vintage 'dante museum masterpiece' from ebay and etc, the second are just some random pewter bunny heads from ebay.

So if you think an inch isn't too large, I'll just grab them #yolo etc

NinjaBoiX

Is BOY the most overpriced/worst value label ever?

I constantly see people walking around in crappy black t shirts and baseball caps with nothing but "BOY" printed in low quality block lettering.

It's like, I get it when it's band merch or something, supporting your new obsession with some cheap tatt with their name emblazoned on it.

But a clothing label? It's like saying, "man, I love these guys with zero imagination/personality and a penchant for cheap, poor quality materials."

I just don't get it.

Alucrid

Banned
Is BOY the most overpriced/worst value label ever?

I constantly see people walking around in crappy black t shirts and baseball caps with nothing but "BOY" printed in low quality block lettering.

It's like, I get it when it's band merch or something, supporting your new obsession with some cheap tatt with their name emblazoned on it.

But a clothing label? It's like saying, "man, I love these guys with zero imagination/personality and a penchant for cheap, poor quality materials."

I just don't get it.

nah that would be virgil ablohs pyrex vision

there was a guy at my high school in like seventh grade who would walk around in pyrex. he looked like a fool.

on the topic of women and clothing, i find that clothing doesn't really matter that much. i've seen well dressed guys get with hot girls, poorly dressed guys get with hot girls. i find that getting with girls is more about personality than anything.

though having a high initiative modifier always helps.

BadTaste

I wouldn't buy those caterpillar boots; on a quick browse of other boots I think the doc martens and the supra boots look good.

also, since we are on page two of cufflinks, I think I might get these for my upcoming soiree

Link wasn't working it was directing to some other shit, it's a sale I saw in my email, can't link it ._.

Anyway, I usually wear plimsolls with skinny jeans, what other type of shoes would go well with those jeans?

I've been looking at these and these (this one looks kinda cheesy)

the only pair of cufflink i bought this year (but god i dig them)
my fall jacket from AMI
11426110955-12MC-ami--01-0575-0465.jpg

and a pair of selvedge denim from Smith Wykes
11521608185-06RW-smith-wykes-jeanthelondoner-02-0575-0465.jpg

which is kind of weird because i'm leaving my quiet casual banking back-office operation to be consultant with lots of client facing duties and won't have that much opportunities to rock them.

Samara

there was a guy at my high school in like seventh grade who would walk around in pyrex. he looked like a fool.

on the topic of women and clothing, i find that clothing doesn't really matter that much. i've seen well dressed guys get with hot girls, poorly dressed guys get with hot girls. i find that getting with girls is more about personality than anything.

though having a high initiative modifier always helps.

My bf of two months went from wearing his torn hurley shorts/plaid shirtds/bleached comic tshirts to wearing hm/hilfigher/ and refuses wearing certain items because it makes him look like a hipster. I told him he's no longer allowed to wear it while with me. If he cant put the effort to look nice, then that's a big problem. Even at his work, people have noticed his style change. We couldnt enter at a club because he had converse on.

Daft Bird

Team Untucked

I am looking for black shoes that would go well with jeans. They can be pretty dressy and uncomfortable. I really wanna impress in college and I heard that shoes are the base for every outfit so I am willing to pay around 100-150 dollars.I am a size 12 if that helps. Thanks guys :)

TnK

the only pair of cufflink i bought this year (but god i dig them)
Saw those cufflinks with one of my friends, and they look really good.
the greek ones are vintage 'dante museum masterpiece' from ebay and etc, the second are just some random pewter bunny heads from ebay.

So if you think an inch isn't too large, I'll just grab them #yolo etc
Don't buy, they look like hot garbage and etc.
Just another case of crazy bam bam wearing some outlandish outfit. I mean, black and white what's he gonna do next.
Hey man, that's trying too hard, pls stahp.
Those are some really nice shoes, where are they from?

Link wasn't working it was directing to some other shit, it's a sale I saw in my email, can't link it ._.

Anyway, I usually wear plimsolls with skinny jeans, what other type of shoes would go well with those jeans?

I've been looking at these and these (this one looks kinda cheesy)
the first should be fine; agree that the second are a bit off. with skinny jeans i'd go with flat soled sneakers, vans halfcabs and ludlows would be a good choice. there is also a brand on yoox called '8', guess it's their private label, but there are some cool sneakers on there for around $100

http://www.yoox.com/us/44684053JN/item?dept=shoesmen#sts=sr_shoesmen80&cod10=44684053JN&sizeId=

Team Untucked

I am looking for black shoes that would go well with jeans. They can be pretty dressy and uncomfortable. I really wanna impress in college and I heard that shoes are the base for every outfit so I am willing to pay around 100-150 dollars.I am a size 12 if that helps. Thanks guys :)
something like this, maybe?

http://www.yoox.com/us/44556596IJ/item?dept=shoesmen#sts=sr_shoesmen80&cod10=44556596IJ&sizeId=

you can also look at brands like the aforementioned 8, thompson, florsheim imperial, etc on there for stuff around that price.

BadTaste

the first should be fine; agree that the second are a bit off. with skinny jeans i'd go with flat soled sneakers, vans halfcabs and ludlows would be a good choice. there is also a brand on yoox called '8', guess it's their private label, but there are some cool sneakers on there for around $100

http://www.yoox.com/us/44684053JN/item?dept=shoesmen#sts=sr_shoesmen80&cod10=44684053JN&sizeId=

I'm looking at vans halfcabs, I really like the look of their range of shoes.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Looking for some boot recommendations. They will be worn quite a bit and during winter time especially. I live in Pittsburgh, so winters can get pretty bad here with snow/salt. I want something that would look good with a nice pair of jeans too.

Right now I'm looking at the LL Bean Katahdin
242053_116_41

And the Chippewa Homestead/Apache GQ Boot
1901m32a.jpg

ChippewaBoots.jpg

Anyone have any experience with Chippewa boots. I would like something made in the US if possible. I also like the Iron Rangers, but they are above what I'm willing to spend right now. I almost bought the Wolverine 1k that were on sale at Nordstom but recent talk about their quality hasn't been the best. Also the sole doesn't matter as I can get that adjusted to be more weather friendly at the local cobbler by my house.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
Yeah, that jacket is quite cool. Those trousers are awful though.

But is the rough finishing intentional? Every garment I've seen by him almost seems to have been hacked rather than cut; tatty edges, seams that don't quite meet up, etc.

The ends are seamed and not raw cut.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Well I guess I partly answered my own question above about the boots. Went to LL Bean and tried on the Katahdins. Loved the fit after finding the proper size but did not care for the color at all. Looked nothing like the picture on the website. Since they are made by Chippewa, I decided to order the Homestead boot in "sundance riptide" color. I think I should be happy with these, they seem to get some love on the styleforums, so we will see when they come in. Probably the most I've spent on a pair of boots, but I'm looking forward to wearing these forever lol.

cpw-1901m32-a.jpg

Chidori00

Banned
Yay or nay on all black (black sole and everything) Converse hi-tops as casual sneakers?

I want a dark pair to go with my white (kind of) MMM X Converse.

you'd probably be safe with something shit-kicky like chippewa, especially if you're trudging through snow and shit. they look like they're meant to be abused.

re: all black hi chucks; not really a fan of the black canvas on those, but I generally default to white/white for chucks so you might ignore my opinion anyway. you could certainly do much worse. ;)

purg3

slept with Malkin
sub $100........... o_o

edit: like..... $50.. at most..... jesus.

Levi's unless you can find some killer sales on stuff online. I know people here don't like them, but you can also probably find some good deals on skinny jeans from gap if you wait for sales(I think they have 35% off right now). I've been able to get a couple pairs of their raw denim/selvedge jeans for less than $50 with coupons and the quality really isn't that bad for the price.

you'd probably be safe with something shit-kicky like chippewa, especially if you're trudging through snow and shit. they look like they're meant to be abused.

Yeah that's why I decided to go with them. Everything I've seen indicates they are quality and well made and will last a seriously long time if properly taken care of. Definitely can't wait for them to come in now. It's kind of funny to us the word shit kicky to describe $260 boots, at least to me, but yeah I want to see what kind of character they develop after putting them through some wear. I honestly don't think there's anything better than a well aged and worn boot.

NinjaBoiX

EVOL, that jacket is pretty badass, it looks like samurai armour or something. Not sure I'd wear it, but I can appreciate the aesthetics.
levi signature skinny fit in blue or grey, get em at walmart. $20.
Grey jeans are awesome, so versatile. They can look really smart with the right footwear but suit casual outfits well too.

Well I guess I partly answered my own question above about the boots. Went to LL Bean and tried on the Katahdins. Loved the fit after finding the proper size but did not care for the color at all. Looked nothing like the picture on the website. Since they are made by Chippewa, I decided to order the Homestead boot in "sundance riptide" color. I think I should be happy with these, they seem to get some love on the styleforums, so we will see when they come in. Probably the most I've spent on a pair of boots, but I'm looking forward to wearing these forever lol.

cpw-1901m32-a.jpg

Chippewa was a good buy for some made in the USA, casual work boots. I've got some Aldens and they're gorgeous, but the quality control is not fantastic for the cost and I'm too nervous with them on to really stomp around in the much. You might want to give Red Wing a try next time. They're more expensive than Chippewas but there are a lot 2nds sales from time to time.

EVOL 100%

EVOL, that jacket is pretty badass, it looks like samurai armour or something. Not sure I'd wear it, but I can appreciate the aesthetics.

It's one of those things that I think looks really good in pictures and in controlled situations but would look ridiculous in real life. Pretty interesting jacket though, that's for sure

Top Bottom