• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Global Sneakers invasion
sneakers.jpg

Anyone have any experience with Chippewa boots. I would like something made in the US if possible. I also like the Iron Rangers, but they are above what I'm willing to spend right now. I almost bought the Wolverine 1k that were on sale at Nordstom but recent talk about their quality hasn't been the best. Also the sole doesn't matter as I can get that adjusted to be more weather friendly at the local cobbler by my house.
Chippewa boots are better outdoor boots than the Wolverine 1000 Mile. The Wolverines are basically the perfect city boot, in my opinion. That's not to say you can't take them hiking, you can, you'd just be better off doing so with a rubber sole or something of that nature, which a lot of people elect to put on anyway.

Not sure where you heard "talk about their quality," but as someone who's worn Wolverine exclusively for the last two years, I can tell you they are the best (and most comfortable) boots I've ever owned. Just treat the leather sole applicably and you'll be fine.

sub $100........... o_o

edit: like..... $50.. at most..... jesus.
I had some Cheap Monday skinny jeans back in the day that probably cost me like $40-50. You could try looking them up.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Chippewa was a good buy for some made in the USA, casual work boots. I've got some Aldens and they're gorgeous, but the quality control is not fantastic for the cost and I'm too nervous with them on to really stomp around in the much. You might want to give Red Wing a try next time. They're more expensive than Chippewas but there are a lot 2nds sales from time to time.

Yeah I plan on beating the shit out of these and wearing them quite a bit. I also looked at the Iron Rangers, which I liked but they were a little outside of my budget. I also liked the vibram sole on the Chippewa's better than the cork(?) sole on the Iron Rangers for now. I would have had to tack on another almost $60 to have a cobbler add a vibram layer to them. I can see myself probably getting a pair sometime next year though because the Iron Ranger in amber harness is so good.

Chippewa boots are better outdoor boots than the Wolverine 1000 Mile. The Wolverines are basically the perfect city boot, in my opinion. That's not to say you can't take them hiking, you can, you'd just be better off doing so with a rubber sole or something of that nature, which a lot of people elect to put on anyway.

Not sure where you heard "talk about their quality," but as someone who's worn Wolverine exclusively for the last two years, I can tell you they are the best (and most comfortable) boots I've ever owned. Just treat the leather sole applicably and you'll be fine.

I liked the Mclean that was on sale at Nordstrom, I tried them on and they were really nice but decided against them because of the sole and also because I knew I was going to wear them outdoors. So that's why I went with the chippewa instead. Seemed more rugged but still having that classic look. I was just going by some comments I saw on the styleforums about them, but then again they tend to blow stuff out of proportion over there from what I've noticed lol.

Kyne

Kyne, you must have skinny chicken legs.

Stop skipping leg day bro.

Nuhhhhhhh I have some kind of muscle down there.. I rollerblade a lot.. (actually, because of the rollerblading most of the muscle is on my thighs)

I always end up getting this look..
3a0de972f96270c8bf9e71a46243fd69.jpg

.. when I want something more like this..
97b6a783a34abdb41cd41c226d737394.jpg

Like I said, I have muscle, it would be kind of cool to show it off somehow.

Zabuza

Banned
What do people think of Converse all star hi here? I want some good casual sneakers I can wear with anything. What would be a good color?

rokkerkory

Nuhhhhhhh I have some kind of muscle down there.. I rollerblade a lot.. (actually, because of the rollerblading most of the muscle is on my thighs)

It's likely the cut. Try on some skinny tapered jeans from uniqlo. It's snug but it has stretch so it'll help show muscles.

I had some Cheap Monday skinny jeans back in the day that probably cost me like $40-50. You could try looking them up.

These chromexcel Wolverine 1000-milers have a single leather sole and some guys were wearing them every day and broke through the sole in like 4 months.

Some people just don't know that you shouldn't wear leather-soled shoes every day; you should alternate with another pair and avoid wearing in wet weather as much as possible.

There are some gorgeous Aldens with their sturdier commando soles for preorder right now if anyone has half a grand to blow:

ulin1.jpg

dsc_00027-2.jpg

dsc_0007_3.jpg

dsc_000110_1.jpg

who is this guy with the red selfie avatar
What up, babe.

Jeans are tricky since there are so many different types of cuts. You might try and find something with 2% elastane in it if you want that ultra-skinny look. Typically those are cut even slimmer since the stretch fabric is more workable.

What do people think of Converse all star hi here? I want some good casual sneakers I can wear with anything. What would be a good color?
They're classics for a reason. Super versatile sneaker. Planning on picking up a pair myself and making them my new gym shoes.

yeah if you dat body contour and a skinny fit you need that elastane. 2% is more than enough. the aforementioned walmart signature levis do not have any stretch to them, but they have a lot of give, fwiw.

CFMOORE!

These chromexcel Wolverine 1000-milers have a single leather sole and some guys were wearing them every day and broke through the sole in like 4 months.

Some people just don't know that you shouldn't wear leather-soled shoes every day; you should alternate with another pair and avoid wearing in wet weather as much as possible.

There are some gorgeous Aldens with their sturdier commando soles for preorder right now if anyone has half a grand to blow:

i just bought these!

Viberg's(saw some on their website that should fit, fingers crossed):
cA1usme.jpg

and Alden's (was a four month wait):
qCHoims.jpg

leroidys

Hey gaf I'm going to a wedding on Friday and don't want to look like shit. Any feedback is appreciated. Especially on the jacket, as I just spent $400 on it. Sorry about the terrible quality/whitebalance of the photo. Please appreciate my super 90s bathroom though.

you're going to look 99.9% better than anyone there, quite possibly including the groom. though, is the jacket navy or black? if the latter, I'd go for navy, personally. can't tell from the photo, but just make sure your sleeves are nice and tidy at the right length.

So gaf wasn't helpful at all on my SLP dilemma. Depending on how much inheritance I get from my grandfather though, I might just through a curveball and go all out and buy a SLP leather perfecto.

purg3

slept with Malkin

ulin1.jpg

[

I would love to get a pair of those Aldens but those prices lol. I would be afraid to wear them out and worried they would get scuffed up considering how much they are.

CFMOORE!

^ agreed. my pair of Indy's have scruffs and you just learn that they add character. my Viberg's I have that initial worry since they're quite a bit more costly than Aldens, but they too will become tenderized and I will just live with it.

Desi

That's true. I wore $500 Lanvin derbies out to the club last night. Stomping all over te dance floor.

Been unloading a lot of items on eBay. Some stuff just so hard to part with: Tim Hamilton metallic sleeve wool varsity, COS scuba anti-fit hoodie, etcetera.

giga

I would love to get a pair of those Aldens but those prices lol. I would be afraid to wear them out and worried they would get scuffed up considering how much they are.
With proper maintenance, this worry will fade because quality shoes will last a long while.

With all of my quality shoes, I put them in shoe trees every night and do a regular conditioning/cleaning/polishing every month.

So far I haven't had to deal with any of my stuff being ruined but it's a just matter of time before some drunken fool spills a drink on me somewhere.

That's just the life you choose when you buy high price clothing.

Try the Levi's 513. They are slim with a straight opening leg, which means it looks great with both sneakers or boots.

when it comes to fit, those Levi's are by far the best pair that I ever tried.

Besides, being Levi's means they are cheap.

denim jackets are cool but i don't know if coated denim is a good first toe dip. maybe that particular item is different, but IME coated/waxed shit is *shiny* in daylight. now this might not be bad (i have coated denims #yolo), but just something to consider.

denim jackets are cool but i don't know if coated denim is a good first toe dip. maybe that particular item is different, but IME coated/waxed shit is *shiny* in daylight. now this might not be bad (i have coated denims #yolo), but just something to consider.

I've never had one (not sure I've even seen one in sunlight), so thanks for the heads-up. If it's not too shiny, it might be a worthwhile purchase. It's well within my budget and I got a gift certificate.

How shiny do they look? Like plastic or something?

Top Bottom