• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Bad news guys the apc fedora on TBS is sold out but they still got plenty of these.
gosha-coat1.jpg

Too bad they never sent me a 20% off code.

Really trying to step my clothes game up,went out and got 3 pairs of Levi's yesterday. I wanted to get a watch but wasn't feeling the sistem51 after seeing it in person, watches are always difficult to find. Also wanted to get some new boots but didn't like the new timberland earthkeepers, I just wish I couldfind laces for my current earthkeepers but for some dumbass reason timberland doesn't sell them-_-

Still looking for a bag, gonna check this one out at Zara soon. http://www.zara.com/us/en/shoes---bags/man/bags/canvas-bowling-bag-c665014p2101588.html

Jubs

Bought two shoes from the Allen Edmonds RDA sale: the McGregor and Long Branch. This is the first time I've bought leather shoes of this price and quality before, so I don't want to fuck them up. Should I do anything to treat these shoes before I wear them out, or can I go ahead and wear them straight out of the box? And which products should I use after I wear them a few times? Are the AE conditioners/polish/etc. good enough?

giga

Bought two shoes from the Allen Edmonds RDA sale: the McGregor and Long Branch. This is the first time I've bought leather shoes of this price and quality before, so I don't want to fuck them up. Should I do anything to treat these shoes before I wear them out, or can I go ahead and wear them straight out of the box? And which products should I use after I wear them a few times? Are the AE conditioners/polish/etc. good enough?
- get cedar shoe trees and put them in every night. nordstrom rack has cheap ones.
- the ae conditioner and shoe creams are very good for the price.
- condition about once a month to prevent the leather from drying out. polish when necessary.

Normal business attire question - what color shoes can I wear with dark suits?
charcoal/gray: black, brown
navy: brown

Congrats on the shoes.

Use this PDF to figure out what conditioner/polish/wax AE recommends but also don't hesitate to try different polishes and waxes. I've found Allen Edmonds shoe care products to be generally great and they ship for free. For example, most people recommend Saphir Medaile d'Or but I find AE conditioner cleaner to work almost as well and to cost half the price.

You should apply a coat of polish or wax to create a base that protects the leather from basic blemishes and to waterproof them.

Basic shoe care is not that difficult. Put cedar shoe trees in after each wear, don't wear the same pair on consecutive days too often so you give the trees a chance to absorb your sweat and brush then with a horsehair brush after every couple of wears. Depending on how often I wear my shoes, but usually every 3-6 months, I wipe the shoes clean with a damp cloth, I clean them with AE cleaner conditioner, wait 30 minutes, apply polish or wax depending on the leather, buff/brush to a shine and then apply some heel dressing.

he's everything i miss about fashion. it's all so serious and intellectual these days. what happened to the romance and humor and sheer fantasticalism of it (not an actual word)? i'm hoping he can bring some of that back.

rude

Banned
Really a fabulous stunt queen feat on Renzo's part. I guess Galliano's talent with deconstructing and reconstructing garments certainly fits into the MMM codes, but his ultra-feminine aesthetic makes me wonder exactly what these clothes will look like.

Not exactly happy about electing someone with anti-semitic views to an extremely public role either; I can't imagine Galliano keeping quiet in the way that Martin did.

I was really enjoying Blazy's couture, too...Fashion's musical chair game is going to get even more interesting once Riccardo goes to Gucci and whoever (Ackermann...Blazy????) replace him.

Magnus

Guys. Help.

New job. Wearing lots of button down/dress shirts again.

Typically leaving the top button undone (no ties; it's business casual, etc.)

It kills me that the collar then typically like, collapses and spreads. It leaves the neck wide open. It's a messy look.

Is there any way to keep the shape of the shirt up there? I'm finding it difficult to express what I mean with just words. I'll try and upload pics soon.

Basically, I'm trying to keep my shirt together at the top, without having to button that top button.

Edit- Oof. Here it is.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dress-shirt-floppy-collar-problem-2014-7

Edit2-

Many sites (and my bf) suggest buttoning the top button while hanging the shirt. I regret to inform that this doesn't seem to do shit.

Edit3-

These look great. Thoughts?
http://harleys4men.com/blog/wurkin-stiff-power-stays-banish-sad-floppy-shirt-collars-fore/

Alucrid

Banned
Really a fabulous stunt queen feat on Renzo's part. I guess Galliano's talent with deconstructing and reconstructing garments certainly fits into the MMM codes, but his ultra-feminine aesthetic makes me wonder exactly what these clothes will look like.

Not exactly happy about electing someone with anti-semitic views to an extremely public role either; I can't imagine Galliano keeping quiet in the way that Martin did.

I was really enjoying Blazy's couture, too...Fashion's musical chair game is going to get even more interesting once Riccardo goes to Gucci and whoever (Ackermann...Blazy????) replace him.

he's great at what he does, i just don't think what he does meshes well with margiela

then again i doubt the menswear will be affected much, so what should i care

rude

Banned
The menswear is an even bigger quandary. I love his menswear (for obvious reasons). I can't imagine him making clothes for men in the same vein as Martin's. Slutty homo on a crystal meth binge doesn't exactly whisper subtlety.

Tom_Cody

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, oh well.

Any recommendations for comfortable everyday shoes that don't look like total garbage?

I live in NYC and I usually walk a few miles every day. I'm looking for shoes that look good, but have a similar level of comfort to athletic shoes (like trail running shoes). I'm just looking for something simple in brown.

Beyond my specific request, I'm interested in general to know what people here wear as their everyday shoe.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this question, oh well.

Any recommendations for comfortable everyday shoes that don't look like total garbage?

I live in NYC and I usually walk a few miles every day. I'm looking for shoes that look good, but have a similar level of comfort to athletic shoes (like trail running shoes). I'm just looking for something simple in brown.

Beyond my specific request, I'm interested in general to know what people here wear as their everyday shoe.

You could try and find some brown gats.

Maison-Martin-Margiela-Brown-leather-lace-up-sneakers-2.jpg

So you don't know what watch it is? And what watch would you guys recommend since you seems so against it?

It's something cheap and tacky that's all I need to know. Get something more basic, try looking into orient or seiko etc.

d2accb1a.jpg

Worth $105? Maybe. They're Goodyear welted and made in the US. However, I think the toebox is way too blobby and they're overall just a bit too boring. You can get some kick ass Red Wings in sales for $150 every now and then or Chippewas that much more attractive at any time for $130 on Amazon.

I figured as much. Kickstarter also has another one by https://www.kickstarter.com/project...hursday-everyday?ref=watched_project_launched

Might wait for Red Wings

Kwixotik

My new coat and jeans from Uniqlo came in. I ordered a medium on the coat and my first instinct after putting it on was that I should have gone with small. But my lady said she likes the long look and I shouldn't return it, plus the shoulders fit perfectly and I don't want to fuck that up. Might get the sleeves shortened a bit though.

The jeans actually look much better in person than in the photo, they fit great so no complaints there.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
God, I've wanted those Y3s since the moment I first laid eyes on on 'em. Obviously waaay out of my budget, and they haven't been in production for several years now iirc.

Saw a dude wearing the all black ones last week at a show and I wanted to "accidentally" dance on them out of spite.

CatPee

Guys. Help.

It kills me that the collar then typically like, collapses and spreads. It leaves the neck wide open. It's a messy look.

Is there any way to keep the shape of the shirt up there? I'm finding it difficult to express what I mean with just words. I'll try and upload pics soon.

Basically, I'm trying to keep my shirt together at the top, without having to button that top button.

Edit- Oof. Here it is.

Edit2-

Many sites (and my bf) suggest buttoning the top button while hanging the shirt. I regret to inform that this doesn't seem to do shit.

Edit3-

http://harleys4men.com/blog/wurkin-stiff-power-stays-banish-sad-floppy-shirt-collars-fore/

Buy shirts with button-down collars and iron the placket and collars every once in a while. It's the easiest way to prevent gullwinging and I tend to prefer the look over plain spread collars when it comes to tie-less business casual (dem collar rolls <3).

Guys. Help.

Edit- Oof. Here it is.

Edit2-

Edit3-

Magnetic collar stays.

maybe a random question, but do you guys know a good place to get socks that sit below your ankle that aren't loafer socks?

Since I wear a size 9, I actually cheat when it comes to no-show socks. So aside from buying Uniqlo's low-cut socks, I actually buy kids' socks (in large)...

Sometimes the heel in the kids' socks slip a bit, but other than that, I can get them on the cheap when on sale at Target/Walmart.

Midas

I just got a pair of shorts, which are too big. But I want to keep them anyway, just because they're amazing. Like a piece of art. How crazy am I?

hypernima

Banned
So I'm starting to prepare for cold weather, is anyone familiar with Uniqlo's Heattech stuff? I want to but some but I don't know if it's worth it.

Top Bottom