• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Hello Manshion-GAF, first post in here.

A little bit about me: This is a little embarrassing to admit, but I've barely ever gone clothes shopping for myself. I usually get my clothes from bday or Xmas gifts. I'm 25 and I recently broke up with my gf of 5 years, so I've decided that I should probably start caring a little more about fashion (especially if I want to land a hot rich cougar). I've never been a sharp dresser. In high school I wore "surfer" brand (Quiksilver, Hurley, Billabong, O'Neill) shirts and Dickies pants every single day. In college and presently I mostly wear jeans and plaid shirts. I still have a lot of surfer brand t-shirts though. Shoes-wise I pretty much only wear Vans and occasionally my Adidas turtle shell Superstars. Here's some pics:

My typical, everyday look

Untucked "business casual" look

More formal tucked look

(Sorry for the lame filter, I had to scrounge for this pic from Instagram because I deleted most of the ones with my gf in them from my personal library)

My ex-gf was kind of a hipster so she loved how I looked in plaid, but I'm trying to branch out from that look because I figure it's good to have some more variation. Plus, I'm getting tired of my family joking about how I always look like a lumberjack. Here's the thing though — I absolutely hate how those guys in the OP look. I would never catch myself dead looking like this. This guy looks pretty good, but I'm not going to be dressing up like that unless I have some formal outing to attend. What I'm mostly looking for is a simple casual style that fits in with my personality. Maybe you guys can help me with that? I live in SoCal (Los Angeles area), and style-wise I mostly identify as a surfer. I drive a bright red Honda Element. I don't ever see myself being comfortable wearing tight nuthugging jeans and boots.

For Christmas I got $300 worth of gift cards to KOHL'S so I'm gonna be looking for some casual wear from there. From some preliminary browsing, I think this looks kinda nice. And maybe a simple striped shirt like this. KOHL'S has so much shit it's kind of overwhelming.

I always suggest to people to get some, white or cream trousers, blue shirt, and a plain navy blazer. It is a simple smart casual look that can be expanded on when more comfortable. You can then buy several different shirts to change up the look, and then add different types of trousers. Then if you are really comfortable and like blazers you can get different colours and patterns.

Shanks evangelising white pants again

my4f6N1h.jpg

Wearing a pair today with my new Handgrade Seymour 2 Crockett and Jones Double monks

NinjaBoiX

Luap, it sounds like you plan on dressing fairly casually, so I'd suggest simple crew neck sweaters and tees maybe plain or with fairly understated prints, long/short sleeved polos and hoodies. Pair those with jeans/chinos whatever and some cool trainers.

And buy lots of versatile jackets to mix things up.
What's with the judgemental attitude? Different people have different tastes. If someone likes granny slippers, that's their taste.
Hey man, he should wear whatever he likes, but having opinions is surely the whole point of the thread, sycophantic yesmen help nobody. I was just pointing out the undeniable similarity to old ladies footwear, and no amount of "b-but 20th Century Norwegian fishermen and JFK" was going to change that.

Dude, I'm just saying they look like slippers, I don't give a fuck about the history of moccasins or whatever.
I am having such a hard time finding these.

tumblr_n9e8txnt5n1st05jjo1_1280.jpg
These are great.
9D1fVtS.jpg

Also pretty damn fly!

y2dvd

What do yall think of zipper boots? There are a lot of good ones that I've seen so far, but I'm eyeing these two for now.

'Kopil' Zip & Buckle Boot
ROfKGJd.png

bf7oGdn.png

8XgMavJ.png

'Jester' Zip Boot
egS4dnG.png

wTG5YFJ.png

Link for this MMM name change pls. Not seeing it anywhere on google.

Also, homie who's preaching bout white pants

You the homie.

Also, me and NTGYK went to the Indochino showroom in Vancouver yesterday. That was fun lmao.

I always suggest to people to get some, white or cream trousers, blue shirt, and a plain navy blazer. It is a simple smart casual look that can be expanded on when more comfortable. You can then buy several different shirts to change up the look, and then add different types of trousers. Then if you are really comfortable and like blazers you can get different colours and patterns.

Thanks for the advice. Is that the kind of casual stuff you wear? Like, if you're just going over to a friend's house to hang out?

Alucrid

Banned
pro tip: don't order from patrik ervell's webstore. if they send a package to the wrong address and it gets lost they won't refund you

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Hey man, he should wear whatever he likes, but having opinions is surely the whole point of the thread, sycophantic yesmen help nobody. I was just pointing out the undeniable similarity to old ladies footwear, and no amount of "b-but 20th Century Norwegian fishermen and JFK" was going to change that.

Dude, I'm just saying they look like slippers, I don't give a fuck about the history of moccasins or whatever.

This has to be a UK thing or something...they look about as much like granny slippers as Ugg boots look like Hunter boots. Same basic shape and...that's it. Totally different materials, construction, purpose, etc.

No one would mistake them for granny slippers if they saw someone walking down the street in them. If anything, they might think they were boat shoes like some Sperry Topsiders or something.

What is FashionGAF's opinion on Bonobos?

Fantastic customer service and free shipping both ways. Wait for a sale, though. They happen often.

Thanks for the advice. Is that the kind of casual stuff you wear? Like, if you're just going over to a friend's house to hang out?

I wouldn't wear the blazar, but I always wear nice pants and a shirt. I always want to look presentable if I bump into a nice lady and what to chat. Women are gonna be more receptive to talking back if you are dressed nice.

I am no Fashion expert with trends and what is in and out, so I have my look and then change it up with different colours etc. Like today I am wearing some pink trousers with a nice shirt.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Fuck retail, tbh.

Picking up some optical white converse high tops just so that I can have multiple shoes in rotation (been constantly wearing iron rangers), and I can barely find them in stores for under 60 bucks. Ordered them on amazon for about 44.

I like the look.
8e9c5af696880cca661a7e42e7df729e.jpg

CatPee

Hello Manshion-GAF, first post in here.

A little bit about me: This is a little embarrassing to admit, but I've barely ever gone clothes shopping for myself. I usually get my clothes from bday or Xmas gifts. I'm 25 and I recently broke up with my gf of 5 years, so I've decided that I should probably start caring a little more about fashion (especially if I want to land a hot rich cougar). I've never been a sharp dresser. In high school I wore "surfer" brand (Quiksilver, Hurley, Billabong, O'Neill) shirts and Dickies pants every single day. In college and presently I mostly wear jeans and plaid shirts. I still have a lot of surfer brand t-shirts though. Shoes-wise I pretty much only wear Vans and occasionally my Adidas turtle shell Superstars. Here's some pics:

My typical, everyday look

Untucked "business casual" look

More formal tucked look

(Sorry for the lame filter, I had to scrounge for this pic from Instagram because I deleted most of the ones with my gf in them from my personal library)

My ex-gf was kind of a hipster so she loved how I looked in plaid, but I'm trying to branch out from that look because I figure it's good to have some more variation. Plus, I'm getting tired of my family joking about how I always look like a lumberjack. Here's the thing though — I absolutely hate how those guys in the OP look. I would never catch myself dead looking like this. This guy looks pretty good, but I'm not going to be dressing up like that unless I have some formal outing to attend. What I'm mostly looking for is a simple casual style that fits in with my personality. Maybe you guys can help me with that? I live in SoCal (Los Angeles area), and style-wise I mostly identify as a surfer. I drive a bright red Honda Element. I don't ever see myself being comfortable wearing tight nuthugging jeans and boots.

For Christmas I got $300 worth of gift cards to KOHL'S so I'm gonna be looking for some casual wear from there. From some preliminary browsing, I think this looks kinda nice. And maybe a simple striped shirt like this. KOHL'S has so much shit it's kind of overwhelming.

You have a pretty slim build, going by your pictures, so don't hesitate to pick up stuff marked as 'slim'. Your current pants seem to both be an inch or two too long and the leg openings are too big in comparison to your legs, so it looks ridiculously unbalanced in comparison to your slender top half. Check out the 511 and 513 fits of Levi's for jeans and try on inseam sizes that are less than what you wear currently. For tops, plain well-fitting t-shirts,henleys, and crewneck sweatshirts are always easy to wear. For your shoe game, simple neutral-colored sneakers (Vans Old Skools, Adidas Stan Smiths, PF Flyers, Converse Chucks/Jack Purcells, etc.) should be easy to integrate into everything. Get a pair of bucks to wear with business-casual stuff (speaking of which, if it's not tucked in, it's not business in any form).

None of these are anything fancy or complex by any means. Just keep in mind that clothes should complement your build, and start forming a wardrobe of well-fitting basics from there.

rude

Banned
Personally thought margiela was awful. Like a really bad impersonation of rei and junya with a little bit of signature 90s dior haute couture. Showing the whole collection over again deconstructed was nice, though. I'll hold my thoughts on Galliano until after PAP.

And Bailey can stop with making Burberry a slightly more wearable Dries

I wouldn't wear the blazar, but I always wear nice pants and a shirt. I always want to look presentable if I bump into a nice lady and what to chat. Women are gonna be more receptive to talking back if you are dressed nice.

I am no Fashion expert with trends and what is in and out, so I have my look and then change it up with different colours etc. Like today I am wearing some pink trousers with a nice shirt.

Interesting. I see what you mean.

You have a pretty slim build, going by your pictures, so don't hesitate to pick up stuff marked as 'slim'. Your current pants seem to both be an inch or two too long and the leg openings are too big in comparison to your legs, so it looks ridiculously unbalanced in comparison to your slender top half. Check out the 511 and 513 fits of Levi's for jeans and try on inseam sizes that are less than what you wear currently. For tops, plain well-fitting t-shirts,henleys, and crewneck sweatshirts are always easy to wear. For your shoe game, simple neutral-colored sneakers (Vans Old Skools, Adidas Stan Smiths, PF Flyers, Converse Chucks/Jack Purcells, etc.) should be easy to integrate into everything. Get a pair of bucks to wear with business-casual stuff (speaking of which, if it's not tucked in, it's not business in any form).

None of these are anything fancy or complex by any means. Just keep in mind that clothes should complement your build, and start forming a wardrobe of well-fitting basics from there.

Thank you for the tips. Yeah my pants are all a little baggy... that's one of the main things I need to fix, after reading up on fashion advice. You left me with some good advice to start with. I'll post pics in here once I go shopping.

NinjaBoiX

I'd personally say the whole shirt and dress trousers look day in day out can can be a little dry and joyless. Sharp and proper sure, but I'd usually just wear stuff like that for a special occasion or a job interview. I find there's a lot more scope for individual expression and a variety of colour/shape/texture if you steer away from wearing business wear all the time.

Fair play on the pink trousers though, not many people would have the nuts for that! Certainly not me.

I'd personally say the whole shirt and dress trousers look day in day out can can be a little dry and joyless. Sharp and proper sure, but I'd usually just wear stuff like that for a special occasion or a job interview. I find there's a lot more scope for individual expression and a variety of colour/shape/texture if you steer away from wearing business wear all the time.

Fair play on the pink trousers though, not many people would have the nuts for that! Certainly not me.

I would agree that business wear everyday in a non business context is dull. But Smart casual allows for great looks with lots of colours and contrast. I rarely wear full suits, so it allows for lots of personalisation, flair, and allows me to stand out from the crowd.

i have recently purchased an alfred dunhill briefcase

like this but blvck like my soul

http://www.dunhill.com/products/bourdon-navyburgundy-single-zip-briefcase/

I really like the quality of Dunhill leather products, sadly their designs at the time didn't match with what I wanted in my own briefcase.

Going to the barbers and spa at their Bourdon house is probably my favourite little luxury.

I love the one in Tokyo, was such a great experience. A shave at one of their houses is definitely a treat every man should experience.

not really "menswear" related, but thinking about going full patrick bateman with my skincare routine after browning the tom ford website. anyone do something like this? gonna get a facial and just load whoever has the misfortune of dealing with me with questions.

Kraftwerk

not really "menswear" related, but thinking about going full patrick bateman with my skincare routine after browning the tom ford website. anyone do something like this? gonna get a facial and just load whoever has the misfortune of dealing with me with questions.

I use Tom Ford shower gel, a moisturiser and an after shave balm. I absolutely love them.

I should look into his skincare stuff, I use Lab Series products for my skin mainly. They have been really good so far. I think it was mac who recommended them to me.

What can you do to stop dye bleeding?

I've got a jacket/blazer which is being particularly annoying. Have dry cleaned it but problem is persisting.

I use the Acqua di Parma barbiere range. Facial cleanser, shaving soap, moisturising balm, revitalising facial cream, and eye treatment.

http://collezione-barbiere.acquadiparma.com/en/

It really is a great product line and then topped off with AdP colonia. It leaves my face feeling smooth and looking healthy.

my daily skin regimen is as follows (no bateman)

shower

ocassionally apply one of those burny charcoal exfoliants to face
scrub with some hippy soap
shave
wash face in cold water
apply cetaphil moisturizer to body, mostly face

re trends of 2015, will have to wait for fashion week to end, and it's usually easy to see overriding themes across everyone's output.

The routine is as follows.

In the shower I use Malin + Goetz eucalyptus shower gel
Shampoo and conditioner with something from Neuma

Afterwards I use a 2% BHA cleanser
Rarely shave but if I do I use art of shaving ocean kelp cream
Ole Henriksen skin serum but I hear there's one by MAC that's better
Moisturize with clinique for men broad spectrum
kiehls eye de-puffer

If you like you can also do a mask treatment. I use la mer intensive revitalizing mask but it adds time to the routine. At night I do things differently. I use a regular cleanser with no exfoliating or other properties and I moisturizer with a lab series liquid moisturizer since I don't need spf protection. No eye de puffer either.

BadTaste

The routine is as follows.

In the shower I use Malin + Goetz eucalyptus shower gel
Shampoo and conditioner with something from Neuma

Afterwards I use a 2% BHA cleanser
Rarely shave but if I do I use art of shaving ocean kelp cream
Ole Henriksen skin serum but I hear there's one by MAC that's better
Moisturize with clinique for men broad spectrum
kiehls eye de-puffer

If you like you can also do a mask treatment. I use la mer intensive revitalizing mask but it adds time to the routine. At night I do things differently. I use a regular cleanser with no exfoliating or other properties and I moisturizer with a lab series liquid moisturizer since I don't need spf protection. No eye de puffer either.

My eyes look so unhealthy and they're always puffy. Does that product work well for you?

NinjaBoiX

I use whatever face wash is cheapest/on offer at the time, usually Nivea, L'Oréal or whatever, exfoliate every second day, and then moisturise, again, with whatever is cheapest. Don't bother with masks and eye creams and stuff, I probably wouldn't even bother with moisturiser if my skin wasn't so dry.

I started using pretty expensive stuff years back (Zirh) but I never saw the benefit. Seemed like a waste of money.

Enron

Banned
Just came in and I'm in love with these lol. They are pretty damn nice and super comfortable right out of the box. Did pretty well on sizing too without trying them on, and these are my first pair of Alden's. Went with same size as Redwing/Chippewa and it worked out well. Can't wait to see how these develop with some good wear.

I've had mine for 4 years and they look practically brand new, with some creasing of course. Just condition them every now and again and make sure you use shoetrees!

Sec0nd

If any of you are interested in handmade leather products you guys should definitely check out Duke & Sons Leather. He makes handmade leather belts, bags, aprons, wallets and much more. You can even personalise the products by requesting adjustments like custom logos. They are a bit on the more expensive side but are one of a kind and handcrafted!

This is the link to his Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/DukeAndSonsLeather#

I was recently able to meet with this man. He's such an inspiration because at the age of 54 he discovered his passion for leather. He dropped everything so he could focus on his crafts. He agreed to an interview and I was able to make this really sweet video in which you can see him work and listen to him tell his life story!

https://vimeo.com/116867148

My daily routine is basically:

Wash with (Malin + Goetz) Daily Grapefruit cleanser or their Jojoba Face Scrub.
Moisturize with (Mailin + Goetz) Vitamin E face moisturizer or spf 30 Broad Spectrum moisturizer.

I only use the scrub maybe 1-2 a week but the grapefruit cleanser is my daily driver. Also, shout out to Bam for mentioning this brand. Been using it for the past year and their stuff's great ranging from their face stuff to their body stuff.

Top Bottom