• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Charcoal

Guess I'll start posting here sometimes instead of just lurking.

I finally snagged a pair of Tom Ford 0144s at a decent price.
Where'd you pick these up?

I can't wear civilian clothes during my deployment, but I couldn't resist. New jeans got here today.

bJBX1pGl.jpg
HID4Ha7l.jpg

Hilfiger suits are OK at best. For that price I'd definitely recommend looking at Banana Republic and (albeit a little more expensive) J. Crew. What's another $100 if it's going to last you a few more years?

I'll look into BR then, thanks. J. Crew, dunno. There's only one J. Crew around here I know of and I don't go out that way very often.

Lotto

Any good sites for hoodies, or discussion on hoodies?

There's Sneaker GAF... but not Hoodie GAF...

I think someone should rectify that.

wings + horns or reigning champ (both CYC design corp but I find wings + horns to be slightly better quality for some reason) make great hoodies but their prices are a bit more than your average hoodie. Get a tiger fleece or loop terry and call it a day.

I'll look into BR then, thanks. J. Crew, dunno. There's only one J. Crew around here I know of and I don't go out that way very often.
Next time my paycheck comes in I've been thinking about buying this blazer for spring and summer dinners, no idea about the quality but I'd assume (and hope) it's good.

Anyway, does selvedge denim actually increase the longevity/durability of a jean or is it purely visual?

giga

Next time my paycheck comes in I've been thinking about buying this blazer for spring and summer dinners, no idea about the quality but I'd assume (and hope) it's good.

Anyway, does selvedge denim actually increase the longevity/durability of a jean or is it purely visual?
I have it in blue. It's a perfect spring/summer casual blazer.

I have it in blue. It's a perfect spring/summer casual blazer.
Great, just what I wanted to hear, so the quality warrants the price in your opinion? I'd wait for it to go on sale but I have no idea if their blazers ever even go on sale and even though I've admittedly barely looked I had a hard time finding a similar texture and color (really saturated brownish I guess?) from somewhere else.

giga

Great, just what I wanted to hear, so the quality warrants the price in your opinion? I'd wait for it to go on sale but I have no idea if their blazers ever even go on sale and even though I've admittedly barely looked I had a hard time finding a similar texture and color (really saturated brownish I guess?) from somewhere else.
I got mine for 40% off, so yes it does. But sales that apply to in-season ludlows are hard to come by. So it depends on your patience.

Shiv47

Cheers dudes, I'll probably check them out very soon.

My only suggestion would be to order from somewhere you can do returns from relatively easily to get the sizing right (assuming you don't live somewhere you can try them on). I have a 37" chest, but had to get a 42 in the Zielinsky jacket in order to get a good fit, for example.

overcast

The Naked & Famous SkinnyGuy fit is technically a slim straight fit (straight leg, slim throughout), whereas the SuperSkinnyGuy fit is a slim tapered, so basically, it's the SkinnyGuy fit but with a slimmer leg opening. If you don't have large calves and are looking for something with a smaller leg opening, go with the SuperSkinnyGuy fit.
Oh, great description. Superskinny sounds like my go to given my small calves. Thanks man.

Yeah, you can get crazy good deals on J. Crew out of season.

Their suits/blazers/sport coats are definitely of a higher quality than BR. That said, BR makes a very good, basic suit and personally, I like the way BR fits me much more than J. Crew.
Well the only BR sport coat close to the one I linked for J.Crew is this, which seems to be slightly lighter but also $30 cheaper, unless the lighting in the photos were off. What do you mean fit better though, more slimming, more space, a bit of everything or?

Edit; bought three pairs of shorts from J.Crew Factory on sale ($25 each halleleujah) and I fitted them, ripped off the tags and was wearing one today again when I realized the canvas one definitely seemed to be larger than I remembered, so I tried on the others like 3 more times back and forth and finally just put them next to each other. Turns out I'm not going crazy yet
. I almost got stuck wearing dad shorts, luckily I chatted them and they issued a full refund and placed another order for me. Just a neat anecdote from today.

Edit 2: on the topic of shorts, if my casual shorts are touching the very top of my knees when standing is it worth tailoring them another inch or half-inch or should I just leave them as is? Tried a 9 inch short the other week and it was fine, a bit short when standing up but then whenever I sat down or crossed my legs it showed off way too much of my legs. 6'1" by the way. Also is it worth having a pair of plain grey shorts or naw

I need suggestions for a good basic swim trunk, like 7" inseam, pretty slim leg. I'd get Outlier but they don't seem to make them anymore or haven't started making them for the season

MegalonJJ

Banned
My only suggestion would be to order from somewhere you can do returns from relatively easily to get the sizing right (assuming you don't live somewhere you can try them on). I have a 37" chest, but had to get a 42 in the Zielinsky jacket in order to get a good fit, for example.

Absolutely, I think they have a London store, but otherwise I do always check returns policy etc prior to purchasing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
for anyone looking for good peacoat peep this hardy amies for $128, M-3XL

http://www.yoox.com/us/41478808MO/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=41478808MO&sizeId=

per the internet they seem to retail for close to a grand.

Ordered the M of this and it just arrived. Very nice looking peacoat, but unfortunately it looks quite massive on me and the sleeves especially are far too long. Going to have to send it back. Shame they don't have it in an S. I've been wanting a nice peacoat for a while now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
sorry it didn't work; are you usually a medium in things?

Really depends. Often the perfect size would be between a small and a medium, so I typically just have to make compromises.

It's a really nice looking peacoat, though...

friday

I have a black denim question for you guys. I have a pair of N&F sulfur dyed jeans that I just recently washed with detergent for dark colors. After they air dried there are hazy white streaks all over the pants. Some of it is where you would see fade lines on indigo pants, but most of it is just all over the place. I thought maybe it was detergent that never washed out, so I soaked them off last night for half an hour in coolish water and let them dry again. This morning they don't really look any better. Has anyone seen this before? None of my other black clothes had the streaks. Does it have something to do with the sulfur dye? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Pisses me off, I love these jeans.

I need help, how should a short sleeve t-shirt fit on an extremely skinny guy such as myself? I feel like this baseball tee is a pretty good non-slim fit but not too sure about the slim pocket shirt, sleeves seem a bit too short when moving around. And can I safely dry them both without fear of noticeable shrinkage if they say tumble dry low?
Baseball tee
Pocket tee
Excuse the awkward 4th picture angles, tried to get a side view plus I don't think my mirror shows off good angles anyway.

Received my Scarosso Jodhpur boots.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh my God, these fit like a dream. And they're so comfortable too. And they look so goddamn baller.

I'm in love.

And they sent me a free shoehorn thingamabob too.

NinjaBoiX

I need help, how should a short sleeve t-shirt fit on an extremely skinny guy such as myself? I feel like this baseball tee is a pretty good non-slim fit but not too sure about the slim pocket shirt, sleeves seem a bit too short when moving around. And can I safely dry them both without fear of noticeable shrinkage if they say tumble dry low?
Baseball tee
Pocket tee
Excuse the awkward 4th picture angles, tried to get a side view plus I don't think my mirror shows off good angles anyway.
Tee sleeves will always swing around if you're super skinny, you should lift bro.

And if you're at all worried about shrinkage then just don't tumble dry, simple.

Tee sleeves will always swing around if you're super skinny, you should lift bro.

And if you're at all worried about shrinkage then just don't tumble dry, simple.
Yeah I mean I do workout at least twice a week usually but I'm still young plus I have crohn's, better than the other end of the spectrum I guess. And I think I'll just wash them because hang drying them takes away the ease of tees.

Also are 10 and a half/11 inch inseam shorts a big no-no? I'm 6 1 and they reach right above the top of my knees and I guess I could do shorter but I feel like 9 inches would be way too short especially when sitting or moving around.

IronRinn

Well the only BR sport coat close to the one I linked for J.Crew is this, which seems to be slightly lighter but also $30 cheaper, unless the lighting in the photos were off. What do you mean fit better though, more slimming, more space, a bit of everything or?
Sorry about taking so long to get back to you on this. So first let me say that suit fit, especially in part of this case, is a matter of preference. How I like a jacket to fit may not be how you like it to fit, might not be how mac likes it to fit.

The Ludlow stuff from J. Crew has been a hit and miss for me on shoulder width, depending on the jacket. I like the seam of the shoulder to hit at a specific point just at the end of the shoulder (it's kind of hard to explain) but some jackets wouldn't give me that fit without the body being way too small. A size up and the shoulder wasn't right. It all depended on how strong the shoulder was on the jacket. It also doesn't help that, like many people, my shoulders aren't perfectly symmetrical. My left shoulder is higher and more square than my right, which leads to my right arm being slightly longer than my left (this is the fun stuff you can learn about yourself when you start to obsess about fit and/or go to a tailor!) I don't have this problem with the modern slim or tailored (never tried any of the Monogram suits) at BR. A size 40R hits my shoulders perfectly, and the rest of the jacket does as well.

So that's that out of the way; here's the preference part. If you look at the dudes modelling Ludlow jackets they all have a triangle of shirt and tie peaking out through the jacket by their belt. It's the way the Ludlow is cut. I have a navy herringbone linen sport coat that I really like by them that does this less, but it's still there. It's also a little shorter in length than the the BR jackets. BR, for some reason, has only a few pics of their suits buttoned, but the ones I have have a more traditional front that doesn't open up so much when buttoned and the length is closer to the traditional "hands down at your side able to cup the button of the jacket" measurement.

So half practical fit and half fit preference I guess. Again, though, all that said J. Crew makes the higher quality suit (half-canvased and all).

I have a black denim question for you guys. I have a pair of N&F sulfur dyed jeans that I just recently washed with detergent for dark colors. After they air dried there are hazy white streaks all over the pants. Some of it is where you would see fade lines on indigo pants, but most of it is just all over the place. I thought maybe it was detergent that never washed out, so I soaked them off last night for half an hour in coolish water and let them dry again. This morning they don't really look any better. Has anyone seen this before? None of my other black clothes had the streaks. Does it have something to do with the sulfur dye? Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Pisses me off, I love these jeans.
Did you machine wash them? Not on gentle cycle? Sometimes a washing machine can put unwanted creases and marks into denim.

If you wear them for awhile, they'll definitely become less noticeable, but unfortunately I think they're there to stay.

yo lucky long time no see

and i had the same issue with my grey raw n&f, but not my indigo or black selvage. could just be whatever dye they used, don't know. they did fade over time but were definitely still there.

also I have decided to make moves into pony hair. will start with these gloves, and hopefully a pair of boots and a coat. not sure what else has pony hair that I would want.

friday

Did you machine wash them? Not on gentle cycle? Sometimes a washing machine can put unwanted creases and marks into denim.

If you wear them for awhile, they'll definitely become less noticeable, but unfortunately I think they're there to stay.

Yeah, I figured as much. Time to buy some new black jeans I guess. Bummer I love this pair.

MegalonJJ

Banned
@Ilith and Mac

Re Blazers/(jackets) do you guys prefer a higher button stance or a more classical one?

Higher being above the naval by more than an inch and a classic one being exactly on the naval?

I'm beginning to lean towards the latter, not the digging the higher stance (which essentially puts every designer out of contention).

mine are about an inch above (cantarelli, ck collection, burberry london, mj collection)... and thats about where I like them, and pretty much where thery are on every blazer i've ever worn in the last many years, save an odd one button or two. IMO it really depends on the proportion/fit of your suit, if the blazer's length abbreviated a bit it should be higher, but if you're doing the more traditional to your thumb length it should be lower, since the whole point would be to create a visual break/anchor.

I'm also not a tall dude (5'9") so that factors into it a bit. I'd feel too draped in a traditionally stanced button and corresponding suit cut.

Next time i get a blazer/suit jacket made I am going to have a long talk about the button position.

tumblr_nkgrxh8PM21s41qhqo2_1280.jpg

I kinda want something like this. 3x2 button with a rolling lapel.I prefer less shirt exposure, i guess something like you get from a double brested jacket. Every of the the rack blazer I have bought has always felt too low for me. I always end up wishing that it was 1-1.5 inches higher.

i really love this blazer.

tumblr_nim2b4h75u1s41qhqo1_1280.jpg

MegalonJJ

Banned
Cheers Mac & Shanks

Cos of my height and overall proportions and I'm going try moving it down to the naval on a one off jacket and see how it feels. (Which will essentially inform the rest of my jackets).

@Ilith and Mac

Re Blazers/(jackets) do you guys prefer a higher button stance or a more classical one?

Higher being above the naval by more than an inch and a classic one being exactly on the naval?

I'm beginning to lean towards the latter, not the digging the higher stance (which essentially puts every designer out of contention).

I prefer more cropped blazers, so my button stance is generally a little higher.

NinjaBoiX

Another new spring/summer jacket today:

Tp0oQdV.jpg

- Neill Katter - £165

(£30 on sale)

Another medium too, just like the Diesel jacket I posted last week. I'm usually an XS, S at a push. I guess Italians are just naturally small!
what i wore today ft. my ear

Nice.

Where can I find a shirt exactly similar to this without the obnoxious paisley design?
So where can you find a plain gray t-shirt?

Um, anywhere?

It's beautiful indeed.

Sometimes I wish I had a job where wearing blazers is mandatory :p. I can't remember when was the last time I worn one.

I just wear blazers for the fun of it. Other guys at my work, a Korean kindergarten/elementary, might think I am a twat for dressing nicely, but when you are walking down the street and others are looking at you and you get many compliments during the day then it is well worth it.

kaskade

So what shoes can I get away with with chinos for a business casual wardrobe? I have a pair of desert boots but they're a little old and had my eye on a pair of suede chukkas. Can I wear a pair of leather oxfords with them. I guess I just feel like chinos aren't too dressy and I see oxfords as too dressy for them for whatever reason. Say a toe cap oxford. I could be wrong though.

Being that this could be a temporary position I don't want to go to crazy. If I get a full time position I'll probably end up with some Allen Edmonds.

Top Bottom