• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

speaking of turning pants into shorts i got a pair of dress pants that will probably be used for this purpose as they taper ridiculously through the calf and look like leggings lol. yikes.

Wooster over here.

izandrew_Nickelson_Nick_Wooster_Fashion_Director_Bergdorf_Goodman_Neiman_Marcus_adviser_Gilt_Man_fashion_icon_street_style_inspiration_tattoo_www_izandrew_blogs.jpg

purg3 I don't know where you live or how much you want to knock out but I'd think something similar to a simple mackintosh jacket would fit the bill. usually 50/50 cotton/nylon weaves are pretty waterproof. not sure if you want something trousers or jeans compatible, though.

this thing is 90 bucks now
might cop one for myself just because

purg3

slept with Malkin
purg3 I don't know where you live or how much you want to knock out but I'd think something similar to a simple mackintosh jacket would fit the bill. usually 50/50 cotton/nylon weaves are pretty waterproof. not sure if you want something trousers or jeans compatible, though.

might cop one for myself just because

I live in Pittsburgh, so it can still be fairly cool in spring and it can rain quite a bit. New job is business casual, so nicer jeans/chinos. Mackintosh are nice, and I can get a discount on them through my part time job, but I'm a short dude and those jackets just don't work well for me. Might just play it safe and go with a Penfield Gibson or something similar. Honestly looking to spend sub $300 since there are other clothing items that I need to pick up.

Lotto

TylerD

It finally happened, 4 yrs 10 washes, hundreds and hundreds of wears and adventures and a split on the inside of my left thigh. The front left pocket blew out months ago. I'm in West Texas and am going to be sending them off to Denim Therapy so they can live a longer life with me.

Any other suggestions for mail away denim repair service?

purg3

slept with Malkin
It finally happened, 4 yrs 10 washes, hundreds and hundreds of wears and adventures and a split on the inside of my left thigh. The front left pocket blew out months ago. I'm in West Texas and am going to be sending them off to Denim Therapy so they can live a longer life with me.

Any other suggestions for mail away denim repair service?

Checkout Railcar fine goods. They do solid denim repair. Legit equipment and people that know what they are doing when it comes to denim.

http://www.railcarfinegoods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1514

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Best mid-weight jacket to get for a weekend in seven days?

I have two heavy coats and and two jackets - a rain Penfield Gibson and a streetwear gray Nike.

I want something somewhere in between. Currently considering the lined Filson Cruiser or a Canada Goose Lodge Jacket. Anything else I should consider? Not a huge fan of Barbour, and I'd rather get variety than another Penfield.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
GAF, I'm in need of a duffel/weekend bag and I'm a sucker for classic canvas bags with some leather elements. I'm currently looking at these three, but if you guys have recommendations they're most welcome!

Parson Gray, €300
mens-parson-gray-for-kalencom-carpetbagger-duffle-sand-400661_366_ft.jpg

Sandstorm Explorer, €340
Tan%20Canvas%20&%20Leather%20-%20Large%20Explorer.jpg

Kaufmann Canvas Duffle, €210
extra-large-cotton-canvas-duffle-bag-made-in-usa-1.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking to finally start dressing nicely. I'm seeing tons of great stuff online, but I have no idea what my measurements are. It seems like that's the first step I need to get out of the way before I can think to order anything. Do you guys know of any guide for getting reliable measurements at home?

Prozel

I need some suggestions for high end basic tee. I know T by Alexander Wang are good so we are talking that price range.

Also, how does Rick Owens Tech Runner fit?

I'm looking to finally start dressing nicely. I'm seeing tons of great stuff online, but I have no idea what my measurements are. It seems like that's the first step I need to get out of the way before I can think to order anything. Do you guys know of any guide for getting reliable measurements at home?
aside from the standard advice of wrapping tape around your chest and waist, stringing a tape down your arms/legs and what not, I personally recommend arming yourself with a roll of fabric measuring tape and finding a nice department store with a fitting room. Find garments that fit you well, ideally business clothes (slacks, blazers, etc) since everything is structured around that more or less, and simply measure them. If you don't really know what 'good fit' means, check out these guides/reads:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/09/25/good-fitted-suit-visual/
http://effortlessgent.com/sport-coat-suit-fit-mistakes/
http://putthison.com/post/9394551419/three-basic-points-of-fit-waist-shoulder

The third is a good thought exercise for approaching this in a holistic manner. The second contains some good examples of blazer landmines that I see pretty often.

Since you're interested in and willing to go online to find stuff you like, finding clothes that fit well and measuring them is probably the best methodology even if it takes a bit more work, as a lot of sites now not only include marked sizes (M, L, 40R, etc) but the actual measurements of the clothes themselves. If I just measured myself and left it at that I'd be wearing a 40-42R suit when I fit best in a 38R. That's a difference of an inch or more in the shoulder, a small yet significant difference.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
aside from the standard advice of wrapping tape around your chest and waist, stringing a tape down your arms/legs and what not, I personally recommend arming yourself with a roll of fabric measuring tape and finding a nice department store with a fitting room. Find garments that fit you well, ideally business clothes (slacks, blazers, etc) since everything is structured around that more or less, and simply measure them. If you don't really know what 'good fit' means, check out these guides/reads:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2013/09/25/good-fitted-suit-visual/
http://effortlessgent.com/sport-coat-suit-fit-mistakes/
http://putthison.com/post/9394551419/three-basic-points-of-fit-waist-shoulder

The third is a good thought exercise for approaching this in a holistic manner. The second contains some good examples of blazer landmines that I see pretty often.

Since you're interested in and willing to go online to find stuff you like, finding clothes that fit well and measuring them is probably the best methodology even if it takes a bit more work, as a lot of sites now not only include marked sizes (M, L, 40R, etc) but the actual measurements of the clothes themselves. If I just measured myself and left it at that I'd be wearing a 40-42R suit when I fit best in a 38R. That's a difference of an inch or more in the shoulder, a small yet significant difference.

Thanks a lot!

After doing a lot of research today, I think I'm going to go through the measuring process on Indochino (very slick videos they have to help you through the process) and see about ordering a nice suit and a few shirts from them to see how it goes.

Yo, Carson St Clothiers is having a crazy sale. Final sale, so no returns.

https://www.carsonstreetclothiers.com/shop/sale

$65 wool/cashmere pants and such. I got their black captoe dress shoe for a crazy $120, even though I already have the AE Park Ave: https://www.carsonstreetclothiers.c...op/sale/footwear/product/1489/captoe-balmoral
I need to come to this thread more, damn.

As for that Hardy Amies peacoat it says it fits large. Given I'm somewhere between a small and medium in most coats does that mean the medium will swallow me?

I don't know how their stuff fits, but sometimes 'fits larger' on yoox code for 'can wear a blazer underneath' IME. here is a retailer with some basic size fit guidance:
http://www.lanecrawford.com/hardy-amies/men/plp

I guess it depends on what you want out of it, if you're looking for a slim tshirt+outerwear jacket it's probably not what you want.

Thanks a lot!

After doing a lot of research today, I think I'm going to go through the measuring process on Indochino (very slick videos they have to help you through the process) and see about ordering a nice suit and a few shirts from them to see how it goes.

ah, didn't realize you had a specific site in mind. I can't seem to find their measurement guide, so I'll just give some general advice, as someone who has seen years of MTM online stuff:

• focus a lot of your attention on the shoulder fit
• for sleeves skip working buttonholes and err on the side of them being too long when measuring
• keep it as simple as possible

I see people often get extremely anal retentive about things like thighs, chest and sleeve length and bungle them by making them too short or tight, and overlooking the one thing you really can't change at all post-purchase (shoulder width*). IME if you're a fit dude but not bodybuilder bulky most of these will be just fine, no need to over-analyze this stuff too much. I also suggest not getting working buttonholes (don't know if they offer this or not) and leaving them a little long when you measure, as otherwise you might end up with a suit with short sleeves that you can't wear. You can always subtract from the sleeve, hem, and chest without breaking the bank; and it's better to spend $50 to fix a mistake than tossing a $500 suit.

Once you get all this stuff figured out though, you can really get a lock on your #'s which makes bargain hunting much nicer.

*technically you might be able to get it altered but to get it done decently it will cost at minimum $100+ or so. I speak from experience on this, and even then the end result was not particularly great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how their stuff fits, but sometimes 'fits larger' on yoox code for 'can wear a blazer underneath' IME. here is a retailer with some basic size fit guidance:
http://www.lanecrawford.com/hardy-amies/men/plp

I guess it depends on what you want out of it, if you're looking for a slim tshirt+outerwear jacket it's probably not what you want.

ah, didn't realize you had a specific site in mind. I can't seem to find their measurement guide, so I'll just give some general advice, as someone who has seen years of MTM online stuff:

• focus a lot of your attention on the shoulder fit
• for sleeves skip working buttonholes and err on the side of them being too long when measuring
• keep it as simple as possible

I see people often get extremely anal retentive about things like thighs, chest and sleeve length and bungle them by making them too short or tight, and overlooking the one thing you really can't change at all post-purchase (shoulder width*). IME if you're a fit dude but not bodybuilder bulky most of these will be just fine, no need to over-analyze this stuff too much. I also suggest not getting working buttonholes (don't know if they offer this or not) and leaving them a little long when you measure, as otherwise you might end up with a suit with short sleeves that you can't wear. You can always subtract from the sleeve, hem, and chest without breaking the bank; and it's better to spend $50 to fix a mistake than tossing a $500 suit.

Once you get all this stuff figured out though, you can really get a lock on your #'s which makes bargain hunting much nicer.

*technically you might be able to get it altered but to get it done decently it will cost at minimum $100+ or so. I speak from experience on this, and even then the end result was not particularly great.

Thanks for all of the advice. I didn't have a particular site in mind, but Indochino seems to have some good buzz. They are reasonably priced and their presentation is very slick. The videos that show you how to get measurements on your own are well done.

I'm still hesitant about dropping $500 or so on a suit from them. I'm going to check out the Suitsupply location in Seattle maybe next weekend and see what kind of options they have. For stuff like this, I feel much more comfortable dealing with actual people at a physical location.

overcast

do these look decent enough? grabbed them from Asos for $70
Sure, at that price I would just go Docs for like 20-30 more honestly but I bet those will be fine.
I'm looking to pick up a pair of Chelsea boots. What brands are the go-tos for a pair?
Uhh. Somebody had posted a few a while back, can't remember. Thought I had saved them but I guess not.

Anybody know where to find a light green/pale green bomber for 100-200? Really need one for next fall. Saw somebody wearing one and its a damn good look. My bomber has proven to be great.

While I was on vacation I busted the side of my CP's so the sole came unstitched a little, would just going to a cobbler be the best course of action? I've been looking up reviews for places but they seem very polarizing

shas'la

GAF, I'm in need of a duffel/weekend bag and I'm a sucker for classic canvas bags with some leather elements. I'm currently looking at these three, but if you guys have recommendations they're most welcome!

Parson Gray, €300
mens-parson-gray-for-kalencom-carpetbagger-duffle-sand-400661_366_ft.jpg

Sandstorm Explorer, €340
Tan%20Canvas%20&%20Leather%20-%20Large%20Explorer.jpg

Kaufmann Canvas Duffle, €210
extra-large-cotton-canvas-duffle-bag-made-in-usa-1.jpg

The Parson is lovely especially if you wear neutral/grey/black colours, the bag will really pop.

overcast

CVLT?

See I never even knew this term. Does this refer to like black outfits with white designs? I have been pretty obsessed with harajuku stuff lately.
Like high fashion mixed with street, just a term I like.

Damn, Alucrid tends to have some sweet black/white/gray combos wherever he's at.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I got some Zanerobe salerno and dynamos, they are awesome. You can find some on shopstyle or amazon, some are on sale. If you can find some in store, go try them at least. Probably the best pants I ever bought, the fit and style is great.

http://zanerobe.com/pants/

<3 Zanerobe pants, wearing the wool Sureshots right now!

Shoes: Nike Blazer Metric
Tee: Zanerobe Flintlock tee
Jumper: Nike SB Everett crew

IG @jovicabella - feel free to add. I sporadically post what I'm wearing. Maybe we can start a hash tag to see what other GAFers are wearing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Those pants are nice! Never saw that wool version before.

They're pretty nice. I will never post a picture of me wearing them though as I will never have time to actually do so ;-; The perils of working a night shift.

And I'm happy that the 31 skinnys actually fit, was somewhat worried that every other brand I wear was super vanity sized and I was actually a 34 or something.

Top Bottom