• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

obin_gam

Tiger of Sweden is the brand that fits me best, and looking at their site just now I found this: http://tigerofsweden.com/se/blazers...51561b4c5&dwvar_T57735002_color=1Q5#!start=11
CmNNp8F.jpg
japanese/bond-villain style cut. It looks very interesing. Is this a new thing in the western world just now or have these cuts gotten here a long time ago?
Anyone have this sort of blazer?

Blackhead

Redarse
japanese/bond-villain style cut. It looks very interesing. Is this a new thing in the western world just now or have these cuts gotten here a long time ago?
Anyone have this sort of blazer?

You'll also have to get no collar shirts to match; you can't go half-Bond villian, you have to go the whole way. :p

The cuts arrived back in the 60s via India. It's India/China not Japan/Bond villain. I like it, collars are really stupid and impractical when you think about it, but western business fashion loves ties so the Nehru jacket was always a non starter
besides He was a 'Communist'. The horror

Random question: Can you wear a white suit to a funeral?

giga

You'll also have to get no collar shirts to match; you can't go half-Bond villian, you have to go the whole way. :p

The cuts arrived back in the 60s via India. It's India/China not Japan/Bond villain. I like it, collars are really stupid and impractical when you think about it, but western business fashion loves ties so the Nehru jacket was always a non starter
besides He was a 'Communist'. The horror

Random question: Can you wear a white suit to a funeral?
No. Leave white suits to weddings and saturday night fever re-enactments.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I need some new summer stuff. I typically do shorts and plain t-shirts. I want to get some new color combinations though, what are some good colors to look for? Dark blue shorts and red shirt? Etc.

Also what are some good summer shoes that go with anything?

giga

So I need some new summer stuff. I typically do shorts and plain t-shirts. I want to get some new color combinations though, what are some good colors to look for? Dark blue shorts and red shirt? Etc.

Also what are some good summer shoes that go with anything?
You can make penny loafers work with shorts, jeans, and suits. Beefroll is the most casual. Rancourt and Oak Street make good ones. Gotta be into the prep/ivy look though.

Made the double monk plunge.

Ordered these from Meermin who ship out of Madrid (they only have one store, in Madrid). Seem to have some good reviews recently after a few years of QC issues. Took advantage of the strong £/€ so paying a pretty reasonable price for a pair of goodyear welt shoes.

Hope the colour will be relatively true to the image on the site.

Also picked up one of these Sandqvist roll top backpacks. Pretty happy with it, can fit plenty and seems quite robust/flexible.

So I need to change my hairstyle, for a few reasons. I'm looking into doing this.

W9y7XLm.jpg

Do you think this would suit my face?

zYtt1q0.jpg

Sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You can make penny loafers work with shorts, jeans, and suits. Beefroll is the most casual. Rancourt and Oak Street make good ones. Gotta be into the prep/ivy look though.

Cool. Any tips on shirt/short pairing colors?

Also where do you all get nice fitted polos? All the stuff I seem to find is thicker and a bit baggy around the under arms.

Ice you've got a beefy jawline, I think if you go with a short hairstyle like that it might look out of proportion. Spend a few extra bucks and go to a proper stylist, work with them to figure out what will look good on your head.

Personally I think your hair looks "right" with your face and head, though it could be cleaned up. Yeah see a stylist they'll take care of you.

Ice you've got a beefy jawline, I think if you go with a short hairstyle like that it might look out of proportion. Spend a few extra bucks and go to a proper stylist, work with them to figure out what will look good on your head.

Personally I think your hair looks "right" with your face and head, though it could be cleaned up. Yeah see a stylist they'll take care of you.

okay. thanks.

Called a place and said its the same price all around.
So that works out for me.

JackEtc

Woah, I just discovered this thread. Is this the closest thing besides SneakerGAF to StreetwearGAF? Or are you guys above all that here? Hahaha

okay. thanks.

Called a place and said its the same price all around.
So that works out for me.

Well if you want to get some solid styling advice I'd expect $30/$40. First time I spent $40 on a haircut at the behest of my gf I thought I was wasting money, but fuck me man I looked fantastic, and have stuck with a similar hairstyle ever since.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Aside from the color question, where is a good place to get nice-fitting chino shorts and plain color tees for summer?

Also, any sandals you all recommend to go with everything? I have a nice pair of Rainbows now, but they are flip flops.

Aside from the color question, where is a good place to get nice-fitting chino shorts and plain color tees for summer?

Also, any sandals you all recommend to go with everything? I have a nice pair of Rainbows now, but they are flip flops.
Can't provide any assistance on the sandal question, but as far as shorts go, I seem to remember J. Crew putting out some quality chino style shorts. I think they have 11" and 9" options if you really want to show off some thigh. Lots of great colors for Spring/Summer.

They have good tees too if you don't have a longer torso (they're cut moderately short in length). If you just need a basic t-shirt then American Apparel ones are solid as well.

Zekes!

What's up gang. I need some opinions on this mac coat. Besides the arms being a little long, does it look too big? I really liked it, but my girlfriend was pretty cold on it. Been looking for some kind of mac coat for quite a while now.

giga

Cool. Any tips on shirt/short pairing colors?

Also where do you all get nice fitted polos? All the stuff I seem to find is thicker and a bit baggy around the under arms.
Way too many pairings to list really. Get navy or white if you're having trouble.

Uniqlo, bonobos, and jcrew have good slim fit polos.

JackEtc

post whatever you want; suits, streetslime, dope kicks and fresh swaggy jawns.

Haha dope, you guys def dress a lot better than I but I'm still pretty new at all this.

Started caring about how I dressed like a year and a half when I starting dating my now-ex GF. Got into sneakers first, and then clothes in general after (a few months ago). Hard to describe my style. Nothing too fancy, streetwear type of stuff, good fitting clothes in general, slim jeans and khakis, clean sneakers, Supreme, 10 Deep, etc. Try and keep it as cheap as possible but I like having a few loud pieces I’ve splurged on. Generally the motto I stick to is "stand out while blending in".

Some outfits I found on my comp, kinda give you an idea of my style I guess, feel free to critique:

Still working mostly on getting the quality of my basics up, especially now that the warm weather is coming back. Gotta get some better fitting shorts and I've been eyeing Stan Smiths for a minute now. When the fall comes back around I wanna start learning good mechanics of layering and stuff. Living in Manhattan next semester, so I've gotta come correct haha

post whatever you want; suits, streetslime, dope kicks and fresh swaggy jawns.

gym selfie
Looking swole, babe.

Haha dope, you guys def dress a lot better than I but I'm still pretty new at all this.

Started caring about how I dressed like a year and a half when I starting dating my now-ex GF. Got into sneakers first, and then clothes in general after (a few months ago). Hard to describe my style. Nothing too fancy, streetwear type of stuff, good fitting clothes in general, slim jeans and khakis, clean sneakers, Supreme, 10 Deep, etc. Try and keep it as cheap as possible but I like having a few loud pieces I’ve splurged on. Generally the motto I stick to is "stand out while blending in".

Some outfits I found on my comp, kinda give you an idea of my style I guess, feel free to critique:

Still working mostly on getting the quality of my basics up, especially now that the warm weather is coming back. Gotta get some better fitting shorts and I've been eyeing Stan Smiths for a minute now. When the fall comes back around I wanna start learning good mechanics of layering and stuff. Living in Manhattan next semester, so I've gotta come correct haha
Dig the first two. Mismatching shoes in the 2nd, or is that from the same pair?

overcast

Jack, what shoes you got on in the last pic?
What's up gang. I need some opinions on this mac coat. Besides the arms being a little long, does it look too big? I really liked it, but my girlfriend was pretty cold on it. Been looking for some kind of mac coat for quite a while now.
Looks a little big to me personally. I like mac coats and the color is nice though.

mac always lookin out for the vitality of my spank bank

edit:

this one from a couple days ago when it wasn't raining out. all slp, except for the shirt which is acne.

speaking of acne, i got some acne underwear for some reason. will post impressions when they come in.

Grakl

Doesn't look good imo

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can't provide any assistance on the sandal question, but as far as shorts go, I seem to remember J. Crew putting out some quality chino style shorts. I think they have 11" and 9" options if you really want to show off some thigh. Lots of great colors for Spring/Summer.

They have good tees too if you don't have a longer torso (they're cut moderately short in length). If you just need a basic t-shirt then American Apparel ones are solid as well.

Way too many pairings to list really. Get navy or white if you're having trouble.

Uniqlo, bonobos, and jcrew have good slim fit polos.

Cool, thanks guys. Been a while since I've been rummaging around in here.

FYI all your tips over the last few years must have worked, I posted in OT, but I got engaged about a month ago! Guess upping my style game was all that it took. :p

Here's us doing a Zoolander pose at Easter this weekend, and her with the ring.

Got the Acne underwear in. I guess it's nice? In terms of designer underwear, def. sits below silk Versace boxers.

And the guy who presented in class a documentary he made on a video game store today was wearing some Yes Style shit and looked like a dweeb. Will post pictures later.

I think it looks fine, but it's definitely an overcoat as in over a suit coat or blazer. too boxy to wear casually with a t and jeans, I think.

my general practice for those kinds of coats or any non-jacket outerwear is to try it on over a blazer and see how it looks. try it and see how it feels.

I'm all about "nicer" underwear but no way could I pony up the money for some true designer briefs. At the rate I wash/dry my underwear and socks, they'd presumably fall apart much faster than any of my other designer pieces.

With that said, I respect the purchase Illithid.

Plus my butt is way too big.

Worth the purchase for the box alone though. Each pair comes in its own separate pink jewelry box. Quite the attention to detail for a pair of boxer briefs.

Top Bottom