• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Was invited to Robert Geller's studio yesterday to try on samples and meet the man himself. Ended up coming away with a new necklace and ring. Officially starting to get my bling on.

It's just a half-cut collar I believe, as opposed to the more tapered, pointed style. You can get full-cut too if that floats your boat.

Should have specified - something similar to that more in terms of depth rather than width.

Been on the lookout for a while and can't seem to find anywhere that does large collars like that. Only place I've come across them is on Eton shirts or Suit Supply who have a few available in their MTM programme. but that's a bit pricey for moi.

Are these chinos too long? If so does anyone know where I can get a very slim-fit "saturated brown" similar to this? This specific pair is out of stock in retail stores and online.
http://imgur.com/a/PoMOd

Edit: Here's a side view in case that helps

Edit 2: J.Crew stays winning, talked online with someone and they said since the pant was sold out they'd offer free altering in one of their stores. So should I just get it hemmed an inch or so and taper it a bit more at the ankles?

Are these chinos too long? If so does anyone know where I can get a very slim-fit "saturated brown" similar to this? This specific pair is out of stock in retail stores and online.
http://imgur.com/a/PoMOd

Edit: Here's a side view in case that helps

Edit 2: J.Crew stays winning, talked online with someone and they said since the pant was sold out they'd offer free altering in one of their stores. So should I just get it hemmed an inch or so and taper it a bit more at the ankles?

They aren't too long, you's just rollin' dem up too high.

just get em hemmed like any other pants. wouldn't mess with the taper.
Should have specified - something similar to that more in terms of depth rather than width.

Been on the lookout for a while and can't seem to find anywhere that does large collars like that. Only place I've come across them is on Eton shirts or Suit Supply who have a few available in their MTM programme. but that's a bit pricey for moi.
modern tailor has some high collar options. never used them personally but people say good things.

and yeah a collar like that will be MTO or from some obscure luxe maker (aka $$$)

my ponies have arrived

0JIItM7.jpg

jlYCXo8.jpg

How much should I hem or just leave em alone? Also I swear this is the last fitting question I'm going to ask in at least a few weeks, does this hoodie look small? For some reason it fits really tight but sizing up would make it look too big I think.
http://imgur.com/a/rP19Q

and yeah I know, do you even lift blah blah fill it out blah

By hem do you mean take to a tailor and shorten them or just wear them uncuffed because they look fine?

Edit; Also Uniqlo or Old Navy for cheap slim linen shirts?

Uniqlo basic shirt fit perfect. Their seamless underwear are nice and comfy. Women seem to love wearing them in the morning too.
Alright but as I've said before I'm really skinny, so a small from Uniqlo that doesn't say slim (because afaik they don't have any slim linen shirts) would be comparable to a small slim from Old Navy?

Grakl

Pretty sure all Uniqlo smalls are slim. They fit me, at least. Haven't tried any of their shirts in a while, though.

NinjaBoiX

What do y'all think

41ncIbRwrlL._SY400_.jpg

I already have a Herschel backpack but I want another cool one and I like how this looks
It sure is pink.

Looks like something little Molly would take her peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to school in.

(Really not my kind of thing, sorry man.)

Sooo I got this American Apparel jacket for like 20$ on sale...

image1xl.jpg

But its absolutely huge.... would a tailor be able to take it in? It'd be expensive right?

1. pics

2. taking in the shoulders/chest/sleeves will be at least $70 and very likely more. IMO as long as your sleeves and body length aren't out of wack anything goes, and blobby outerwear is hot right now.

NinjaBoiX

Sooo I got this American Apparel jacket for like 20$ on sale...

image1xl.jpg

But its absolutely huge.... would a tailor be able to take it in? It'd be expensive right?
That's a nice jacket, but if it's too big to the extent that you'd have to have every aspect tailored then I wouldn't bother. It'll cost a fortune and likely never look quite right.

I had the sleeves cuffed and back tapered on a coat a few months ago, cost me nearly £50. God knows what you'd get charged to fully tailor the whole thing. You may as well just buy a more expensive jacket that fits!

That's a nice jacket, but if it's too big to the extent that you'd have to have every aspect tailored then I wouldn't bother. It'll cost a fortune and likely never look quite right.

I had the sleeves cuffed and back tapered on a coat a few months ago, cost me nearly £50. God knows what you'd get charged to fully tailor the whole thing. You may as well just buy a more expensive jacket that fits!

Hmm damn. Maybe I'll give it to a homeless person in the winter.

IronRinn

Next time my paycheck comes in I've been thinking about buying this blazer for spring and summer dinners, no idea about the quality but I'd assume (and hope) it's good.

Anyway, does selvedge denim actually increase the longevity/durability of a jean or is it purely visual?

Did you wind up getting this blazer? If not, it's on sale now for ~$160.00.

Did you wind up getting this blazer? If not, it's on sale now for ~$160.00.
I see that it's on sale but I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should. I already destroyed my wallet on spring and summer shopping and I don't have a lighter khaki blazer which will probably end up being more versatile in the long run. I dunno, I know I have until the 5th to pull the trigger.

I like the Everlane backpack for the price but the strap closure can get a bit annoying if you're a science major and have to lug around 1200 page textbooks. Of course if you're just using it for around town or something of that nature it's an entirely different story.

I did say textbooks :p Easily fixed by just leaving one or two in your car between classes of course. I just like overboarding my back and schedule.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Euro hipster backpack, I have one for city trip, cannot complain.

Was about to post this. Don't get me wrong, Fjallraven make awesome allthough overpriced hiking equipment and I'm very happy with my Kajka (65 ltr) backpack for this reason, but I cringe a little bit when I see people in the city decked out in Fjallraven coats designed for the north of Scandinavia while it's like 3 degrees. These smaller backpacks are fine in functionality but a bit of a cliche here in Europe with the hipster crowd these days. Kudos for the Fjallraven marketing guys to actually make fun of that, though.

Grakl

Was about to post this. Don't get me wrong, Fjallraven make awesome allthough overpriced hiking equipment and I'm very happy with my Kajka (65 ltr) backpack for this reason, but I cringe a little bit when I see people in the city decked out in Fjallraven coats designed for the north of Scandinavia while it's like 3 degrees. These smaller backpacks are fine in functionality but a bit of a cliche here in Europe with the hipster crowd these days. Kudos for the Fjallraven marketing guys to actually make fun of that, though.
If they're fine in functionality, then great. Hardly anyone here (in Boston) actually wears em, so not cliche at all, fortunately.

Where can I find shirts with awesome collars like this.

Anybody got a pair of Loake's? Comfortable?

I've got a pair of Brooks Brothers Peal & Co. brown chukkas on a dainite sole. They're actually just rebranded Loake Kemptons and they're fantastic. It's the nicest suede I've owned on a shoe (outside of some Aldens I had to sell because of fit issues) and they're honestly a perfect 3-season boot here in Chicago and great for the travel I'm doing nowadays for work.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
If they're fine in functionality, then great. Hardly anyone here (in Boston) actually wears em, so not cliche at all, fortunately.

Then definitely go for it, Fjallraven stuff is good quality and usually has some smart/nifty stuff function-wise.

So what shoes can I get away with with chinos for a business casual wardrobe? I have a pair of desert boots but they're a little old and had my eye on a pair of suede chukkas. Can I wear a pair of leather oxfords with them. I guess I just feel like chinos aren't too dressy and I see oxfords as too dressy for them for whatever reason. Say a toe cap oxford. I could be wrong though.

Being that this could be a temporary position I don't want to go to crazy. If I get a full time position I'll probably end up with some Allen Edmonds.

With chinos you want a blucher, open style-lacing instead of balmoral/oxford lacing. Suede chukkas can go great with chinos and you can class them up a bit with a leather sole,

NinjaBoiX

I guess the colour of that backpack Grakl posted is the worst part, but I really don't dig the shape either. It's too square, and I have no idea what those handle/straps are doing. It looks like a cool box or something.
I was thinking of doing that brand in black or another color.

Or this from Everlane for 65 (in black).
This is cool though, very nice.

(link please bro, I need a new backpack!)

I see a few in SF but not too many. I've actually seen some Scandinavian people visiting here with clearly really old ones that seem really solid still, so I'm excited to be able to use mine for a long time

I guess the colour of that backpack Grakl posted is the worst part, but I really don't dig the shape either. It's too square, and I have no idea what those handle/straps are doing. It looks like a cool box or something.

This is cool though, very nice.

(link please bro, I need a new backpack!)

https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-backpacks/products/mens-twill-backpack-black-black-leather

Almost every color is waitlisted but they should be restocking soon, I'm waiting on the Navy one.

Linius

Fjallraven, Dakine, Herschell etc. are the typical backpacks you'll see in the city here in Europe. I'm guilty myself though, I have a Herschel for school.

zHbb8Ib.jpg

A fairly standard one with seperate space for my laptop. Though I wasn't too fuzzed that a class mate bought the exact same one in black a week later. We probably look ridiculous when walking down the hallway side by side
dUlMFSY.png

That Everlane one looks neat by the way. Never heard of that brand before.

Grakl

Fjallraven, Dakine, Herschell etc. are the typical backpacks you'll see in the city here in Europe. I'm guilty myself though, I have a Herschel for school.

zHbb8Ib.jpg

A fairly standard one with seperate space for my laptop. Though I wasn't too fuzzed that a class mate bought the exact same one in black a week later. We probably look ridiculous when walking down the hallway side by side
dUlMFSY.png

That Everlane one looks neat by the way. Never heard of that brand before.

Herschel is the kind everyone has here (and especially that specific one). I have their hiking style one, though.

Where can I get some slim fitting 9.5-10 inch shorts? Banana Republic's ones flare out to the side and both Jcrew and JCF either have 9 or 10.5-11. The 9 inch ones are fine for certain patterns or linen shorts but I just need a pair or two of khaki/stone/navy shorts. Ordered the 9 and a half from old Navy but if those are too short or not slim enough, are the Gap lived in shorts slim?

overcast

blaque

also gonna have to rescind my nod to alex mill tshirts. the detailing is nice, the fabric has a good spring to it, but i'm getting american apparel-esque seam rips and mystery holes developing on my shirts now. no bueno. maybe save khaki will do me right.

obin_gam

I have a light grey wool blazer for the winter season.
I have a "forest green" one for the autumn and spring.

I want one for the summer as well but I have no idea what kind of color would fit? Orange? Blue? Any suggestions?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have a light grey wool blazer for the winter season.
I have a "forest green" one for the autumn and spring.

I want one for the summer as well but I have no idea what kind of color would fit? Orange? Blue? Any suggestions?

why would you want a wool blazer for summer

its too hot

go shirtless

obin_gam

why would you want a wool blazer for summer

its too hot

go shirtless

But they look great! :(

Am a teacher so blazers are very handy for keeping stuff like pencils, erasers, papers and other things nearby.

I guess I could use a waistcoat during the warm school months like August and June though...

Top Bottom