• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

need GAF's help again, got a red gingham shirt with a navy suit but im a bit unsure about the tie.

leaning towards a navy tie with either red stripes or red polka dots. Am i in the right zone or should i be thinking completley different? my friend suggested a plain navy tie but i feel like thats a bit boring

i like you

i would recommend two things, most importantly, make sure the stripes or dots are the not the same size as the shirt design. Also my personal preference when having a tie colour that matches a shirt colour is to always have the tie colour darker. So try going for a darker red

you know what you must do lucky
Any NYC fashion shows happening in October? If so, I might be able to write it off as a "work trip."

need GAF's help again, got a red gingham shirt with a navy suit but im a bit unsure about the tie.

leaning towards a navy tie with either red stripes or red polka dots. Am i in the right zone or should i be thinking completley different? my friend suggested a plain navy tie but i feel like thats a bit boring
If the polka dot pattern is really small, preferably micro-dots, it'll look good. The safe choice is definitely to go with a plain tie, however.

NinjaBoiX

On the subject of shirt and tie combos, I always thought Joey looked cool in his olive green set that Rachel picks out for him when she works at Bloomingdales.

y2HprTp.jpg

Quick

Banned
That isn't so bad. Best to leave the jacket open, though. It'll look silly if you close it and the shirt ends up looking like a short skirt.

overcast

Yall gonna hate me. But anyone know where I can get a nice suit jacket + pants combo for under 200 total.

Got a wedding in New York in September. Trying not to break the bank. Don't forget I'm a broke boi. Is the navy suit jacket + navy pants + brown oxfords played out?

Yall gonna hate me. But anyone know where I can get a nice suit jacket + pants combo for under 200 total.

Got a wedding in New York in September. Trying not to break the bank. Don't forget I'm a broke boi. Is the navy suit jacket + navy pants + brown oxfords played out?
H&M might be your only option for that little

robox

Crap lighting, but here:

img_20150803_23042293bosyq.jpg

img_20150803_23044938lpsjv.jpg

Love this jacket though. Shirt tail extends like... 2.5/3" below the jacket as the jacket is shorter than most that I wear.

levi's commuter jacket, eh? thought you were talking about a blazer type jacket. then it's kinda iffy.

but for a casual denim jacket, it's perfect. gives it layering depth

Quick

Banned

I'll second H&M for cheap suits. However, they seem to run out of stock on my size.

And a navy suit and brown oxfords are great. I have that on rotation for work. You can even mix it up with the navy jacket and brown pants.

Quick

Banned
I've been striking it lucky here in Canada with the Banana Republic Factory Store selling suits for under $300. If you have a BR Factory Store near you, might be worth checking out.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
You guys think Doc Martens is my best bet for some inexpensive chelsea boots?

H & M has some, but I think that might be superrrrrr cheap.

Looking for a nice brand of minimalist white sneakers too. Again H & M has some, but I fear these are so cheap they will break in a week with how much I walk.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Looking for a nice brand of minimalist white sneakers too. Again H & M has some, but I fear these are so cheap they will break in a week with how much I walk.

Yeah, don't do this. I buy their basic sneakers for work sometimes and they visibly disintegrate with each wear.

Been in the market for minimal white kicks for almost a year now and haven't found anything affordable.

You guys think Doc Martens is my best bet for some inexpensive chelsea boots?

H & M has some, but I think that might be superrrrrr cheap.

I've been hunting for a good pair of Chelsea boots for months. Months.

What's your budget on them?

entremet

Great thing about losing weight?

Access to more fits and labels.

Bad thing about losing weight?

Having to rebuy a good portion of your wardrobe :(

Quick

Banned
I actually hate shopping, but I love fashion.

Go figure.

I use Trunk Club these days.

Trunk Club seems interesting enough.

Do you just get shipped clothes, then you pay for the clothes you keep? Are there any discounts given to you on the clothes you get?

entremet

Trunk Club seems interesting enough.

Do you just get shipped clothes, then you pay for the clothes you keep? Are there any discounts given to you on the clothes you get?

You get shipped clothes and keep some, all or none.

They charge you on the clothes you keep. You're not charged shipping either way and the box they ship it in includes return back labels. They use Fedex.

I like it because it gets me out of my comfort zone. The stylists do a good job.

You don't get discounts. It's a high end service, comparable to shopping at a place like Nordstrom.

I only do 3 trunks per year as a result.

Retail therapy is 100% a real thing. I've made some seriously ridiculous purchases during some rough patches.

Don't regret a thing, obviously.

Retail therapy is 100% a real thing. I've made some seriously ridiculous purchases during some rough patches.

Don't regret a thing, obviously.

My dating life is in tatters and non-existent which is why I was staring at Carmina Chelsea boots for an hour, genuinely considering dropping 500 bucks on them.

1792f342171055ff7f5c5891565d9379.jpg

I was hoping for some Meermin ones to be available, but nothing at the moment. Passed on Loake's, Scarossa is outta my budget a bit, waiting to see what Jack Erwin's new boots will be like, still hunting. Bexley's boots shipping makes me not wanna take the deal, RM Williams are outta my budget, Henry Baxter Boots are an unknown quality with shipping being a hassle if I need to return... and more and more.

Anth0ny

I hate shopping for clothes online

Everything always fits differently than I expect. Gotta try that shit on before buying.

I have t-shirts from small to extra large that fit more or less the same. how does that even work

Quick

Banned
NTGYK, I've been hunting down a nice pair of Chelsea boots myself, but I'm not wiling to drop $500 for them. There are loads of them that all look similar that are in the $150-200 range.

You get shipped clothes and keep some, all or none.

They charge you on the clothes you keep. You're not charged shipping either way and the box they ship it in includes return back labels. They use Fedex.

I like it because it gets me out of my comfort zone. The stylists do a good job.

You don't get discounts. It's a high end service, comparable to shopping at a place like Nordstrom.

I only do 3 trunks per year as a result.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on one trunk?

I wouldn't mind giving this a try if it's available for Canadians.

entremet

NTGYK, I've been hunting down a nice pair of Chelsea boots myself, but I'm not wiling to drop $500 for them. There are loads of them that all look similar that are in the $150-200 range.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you spend on one trunk?

I wouldn't mind giving this a try if it's available for Canadians.

It depends what you keep. But I was averaging around 130 per item.

I agree! My upper limit is $250, but I'm having a tough time finding something that I like (looks/quality), in that range, including shipping (since most of these are coming from overseas). The Jack Erwins would have been perfect but they've been discontinued and who knows what the new line will look like. Carminas, Grenson, C&J are all wicked expensive. Loake, Herring, Brit companies like that will kill me on shipping and exchange rate.

I agree! My upper limit is $250, but I'm having a tough time finding something that I like (looks/quality), in that range, including shipping (since most of these are coming from overseas). The Jack Erwins would have been perfect but they've been discontinued and who knows what the new line will look like. Carminas, Grenson, C&J are all wicked expensive. Loake, Herring, Brit companies like that will kill me on shipping and exchange rate.
just fyi you've basically fucked yourself buy letting those carminas seep into your mind like this. nothing you buy will live up to them, like getting a girl to make another one jealous.

just bought some cracked leather saint laurent chelseas with a 60mm heel (not the 85mm i posted earlier) and a red silk slp shirt from ss14. maybe i'll post pics. who knows?!?

Unicorn

I'm back again GAF for advice.

I'm planning on shopping this weekend for some back-to-teaching clothes (primarily have my eyes set on H&M getting most of my budget). I'm in the market for, like, all of the basics again.

There was an image I saw a few months ago for basic styling with a small selection of colored shirts and pants and shoes. I'm thinking that'll be my go-to checklist to make sure I have enough options for outfits with the least amount of items to do it in. My budget is probably 300-400.

I'm looking for the following:
Shirts (long and short sleeve button-up [I have some already - black, white, pink, etc])
Pants (I have gray and black already)
Shoes (have some black and gray Tiger Osakas. Thinking boots?)

And other necessities I won't trifle y'all with. Need to look business casual or nicer for teaching high school. I'm still undecided on ties, as I never find ones I like (I have a slim black from H&M).

Thanks again for the help!

just fyi you've basically fucked yourself buy letting those carminas seep into your mind like this. nothing you buy will live up to them, like getting a girl to make another one jealous.
So true. I'm still kicking myself for passing on this Paul Smith jacket back in 2012.

I'm back again GAF for advice.

I'm planning on shopping this weekend for some back-to-teaching clothes (primarily have my eyes set on H&M getting most of my budget). I'm in the market for, like, all of the basics again.

There was an image I saw a few months ago for basic styling with a small selection of colored shirts and pants and shoes. I'm thinking that'll be my go-to checklist to make sure I have enough options for outfits with the least amount of items to do it in. My budget is probably 300-400.

I'm looking for the following:
Shirts (long and short sleeve button-up [I have some already - black, white, pink, etc])
Pants (I have gray and black already)
Shoes (have some black and gray Tiger Osakas. Thinking boots?)

And other necessities I won't trifle y'all with. Need to look business casual or nicer for teaching high school. I'm still undecided on ties, as I never find ones I like (I have a slim black from H&M).

Thanks again for the help!
You should look into getting yourself some leather shoes like a pair of oxfords or derbys, just in case you need to look a little more formal for certain events. Plus, if by "pants" you mean traditional trousers (and not jeans), then sneakers are going to look weird, most likely.

Unfortunately, when it comes to leather shoes, I can't really think of anything that wouldn't suck up your entire price range. And if possible, you should really make the investment into something good. Footwear (particularly leather footwear), is probably the best investment you can make in fashion, considering how long it'll last you (good stuff anyway), and the fact that you won't ever grow out of your shoe size. Maybe it's not something you spring for right now, but definitely something to look for in the future, if you've got some extra budget.

Unicorn

So true. I'm still kicking myself for passing on this Paul Smith jacket back in 2012.

You should look into getting yourself some leather shoes like a pair of oxfords or derbys, just in case you need to look a little more formal for certain events. Plus, if by "pants" you mean traditional trousers (and not jeans), then sneakers are going to look weird, most likely.

Unfortunately, when it comes to leather shoes, I can't really think of anything that wouldn't suck up your entire price range. And if possible, you should really make the investment into something good. Footwear (particularly leather footwear), is probably the best investment you can make in fashion, considering how long it'll last you (good stuff anyway), and the fact that you won't ever grow out of your shoe size. Maybe it's not something you spring for right now, but definitely something to look for in the future, if you've got some extra budget.
Yeah, I'm not wearing jeans. I've been hunting around thrift stores for shirts, but pants and shoes are more specific in dimensions that even if I find a nice pair, chances are they don't fit.

The Tigers are super comfortable and professional looking, given them being black and gray, and don't clash with the pants I do have (at least, I don't think so). The pants are cotton with some elastine. Basic nicer pants from H&M - sorry, don't know the term for them, haha.

So, no budget shoe options in the styles you mentioned? I could just put some inserts for arch support, etc.

There are some ~$100 Oxfords at Nordstrom. I feel that is within my budget, based on other things I get, just for reference. past $150 will be too much, I fear.

EDIT:
Also in the market for a means to carry materials (Surface, notebooks, planner, pens, etc.). Side bag or something similar.

Top Bottom