• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

rick owens Faun

MLOdJfE.jpg

dope to see someone moving away from gothninja owens to bauhaus architectual owens

SuperSah

Banned
Wanted some spray on skinny jeans but couldn't dare to spend the £40 for the insecurity of wearing them.

Found them on sale in Topman and copped them for £10. Very tight, but for £10 I couldn't say no and I'll probably rarely wear them and stick to my usual skinnies. :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, I am back again!
I am getting married next fall and am wanting to do a navy blue 3 piece suit for the wedding. Any suggestions on where and what to get? I need to start looking!

Also, going to finally drop some cash on a good pair of jeans. I need something tapered because of my big thighs, but I want something a bit skinnier in the leg opening to go with boots. What do I get?

Also, you all likely helped me land this amazing woman I am marrying. I'm grateful for all the style help you gave a few years back. Really changed the game up. Oh, and on top of that I changed my hair style:

I was gonna pull the trigger on the Jack Erwin Chase Chelsea Boot:

But turns out it's out of stock and they won't be making more. They have a new Chelsea boot coming out this fall, so... If it's nice, I'll probably grab it, otherwise another pair of Scarosso boots are gonna be heading my way.

CatPee

So, I am back again!
I am getting married next fall and am wanting to do a navy blue 3 piece suit for the wedding. Any suggestions on where and what to get? I need to start looking!

Also, going to finally drop some cash on a good pair of jeans. I need something tapered because of my big thighs, but I want something a bit skinnier in the leg opening to go with boots. What do I get?

Also, you all likely helped me land this amazing woman I am marrying. I'm grateful for all the style help you gave a few years back. Really changed the game up. Oh, and on top of that I changed my hair style:

I've heard that Combatant Gentlemen has a fairly good price/quality ratio if you get in touch with them looooooong before the actual event.

As for jeans, check out some raw denim brands and their fits labeled "tapered" or something along those lines. Blue Owl Workshop has a good selection and top-tier customer service. Denimio has incredible pricing for Japanese goods but only restocks occasionally. APC's Petit New Standard is an immensely popular tapered fit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I've heard that Combatant Gentlemen has a fairly good price/quality ratio if you get in touch with them looooooong before the actual event.

As for jeans, check out some raw denim brands and their fits labeled "tapered" or something along those lines. Blue Owl Workshop has a good selection and top-tier customer service. Denimio has incredible pricing for Japanese goods but only restocks occasionally. APC's Petit New Standard is an immensely popular tapered fit.

Cool, thanks.

So something like this?
https://www.blueowl.us/product/unbranded-tapered-leg-145oz-selvedge-in-indigo-model-ub201/
Also I see the inseam is 35" on the 36 waist, is that because they are meant to be rolled at the bottom, and a big baggy in the lower leg?

Alucrid

Banned
Cool, thanks.

So something like this?
https://www.blueowl.us/product/unbranded-tapered-leg-145oz-selvedge-in-indigo-model-ub201/
Also I see the inseam is 35" on the 36 waist, is that because they are meant to be rolled at the bottom, and a big baggy in the lower leg?
No, it's just so that one size fits people of varying Heights. If you're tall you can leave it as is, if you're short you can get it hemmed. You can of course leave it long to be rolled up, but it's not necessarily meant to be like that

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
No, it's just so that one size fits people of varying Heights. If you're tall you can leave it as is, if you're short you can get it hemmed. You can of course leave it long to be rolled up, but it's not necessarily meant to be like that

Gotcha. My fiancee's Mom hemmed my last pair of jeans, so I can manage that if needed. I may get the Blue Owl pair, they are a bit less expensive than the Naked & Famous, and apparently the ones I picked are made by the same guys.

Should meet up with lbceo and have him help you out with choosing something that looks right for you.

lol, that'd be cool if he's down

let us dress you like one of those french girls
100% in if Mac is. We're a packaged deal.

Gotcha. My fiancee's Mom hemmed my last pair of jeans, so I can manage that if needed. I may get the Blue Owl pair, they are a bit less expensive than the Naked & Famous, and apparently the ones I picked are made by the same guys.
Unbranded is indeed the same parent company/designer as Naked & Famous, just without all of the extra details. Which, if you don't care about, Unbranded is a steal at the price. Also, we offer free hemming at Blue Owl if you know what your desired inseam is.

Just be aware that these aren't your typical jeans, you'll need to break them in the way you break in a pair of boots or a baseball glove. They're going to be extremely stiff and rigid when you get them at first, but they will become soft after you put enough wear into them. The leg opening isn't extremely tapered, but it definitely fits the tapered term. If you want something with a more narrow leg opening, you're going to have to go with something like this or this.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Unbranded is indeed the same parent company/designer as Naked & Famous, just without all of the extra details. Which, if you don't care about, Unbranded is a steal at the price. Also, we offer free hemming at Blue Owl if you know what your desired inseam is.

Just be aware that these aren't your typical jeans, you'll need to break them in the way you break in a pair of boots or a baseball glove. They're going to be extremely stiff and rigid when you get them at first, but they will become soft after you put enough wear into them. The leg opening isn't extremely tapered, but it definitely fits the tapered term. If you want something with a more narrow leg opening, you're going to have to go with something like this or this.

Hmm. Well my main concern is fitting my thighs. The leg opening I don't want to be super skinny, just not a boot cut. I want it to look good over shoes and stuff. So narrower than usual, but not skinny. If that makes any sense.

CatPee

Hmm. Well my main concern is fitting my thighs. The leg opening I don't want to be super skinny, just not a boot cut. I want it to look good over shoes and stuff. So narrower than usual, but not skinny. If that makes any sense.

Be sure to measure your own ankles and thighs and check out the leg opening measurements. The leg opening will be fairly large already at sz36 and you'll lose some more of the taper as you go up the leg for the hem, so it might end up slightly too big for your liking. At that size range, it may be wise to also check out "skinny" or "slim tapered" fits and compare your own thigh measurements to Blue Owl's.

NinjaBoiX

Why are nearly all baseball caps flat peaked now? Shit looks ridiculous, I think it makes you look special. But 90% of caps nowadays have them, so annoying.

I just bought a new cap with that dumb looking peak, I just rounded it slightly, looks so much better.

Why are nearly all baseball caps flat peaked now? Shit looks ridiculous, I think it makes you look special. But 90% of caps nowadays have them, so annoying.

I just bought a new cap with that dumb looking peak, I just rounded it slightly, looks so much better.
they're so you can do it yourself

Is there anything in the fashion world you actually like, man? Sorry, but I feel like I only ever see you post about how much you hate something or how "stupid" someone's outfit looks. What's with all of the negativity?

Zekes!

They're flat because you bend them yourself dude.

It's like the raw denim of hats, you break em in yourself

NinjaBoiX

They're flat because you bend them yourself dude.

It's like the raw denim of hats, you break em in yourself
Nah, the peak on the flat ones is attached to the cap in a different way, you can't bend them nearly as much. I only peak mine slightly anyway so it's all good.
Is there anything in the fashion world you actually like, man? Sorry, but I feel like I only ever see you post about how much you hate something or how "stupid" someone's outfit looks. What's with all of the negativity?
Hey man, I dug Poody's watch!

I dunno, I just find some of the fashion choices in here baffling. High heeled shoes, shiny holographic jackets, oversized silver tank tops that look to be made out of a discarded tent. It's usually when someone has spent hundreds/thousands on a garment that looks so, um, unique.

Or maybe I'm just too normcore.

I dunno, I just find some of the fashion choices in here baffling. High heeled shoes, shiny holographic jackets, oversized silver tank tops that look to be made out of a discarded tent. It's usually when someone has spent hundreds/thousands on a garment that looks so, um, unique.

Sounds like you're just a hater.

Hey man, I dug Poody's watch!

That's what's so great about fashion though, there's something for everyone. I get that Poody's outfit may not be for you, but at least he's doing something different. Hell, it's guys like him that allow fashion to continually evolve. Without anyone taking risks, we'd still be stuck in early 2000s menswear purgatory. I'm not saying his outfits are necessarily the direction mainstream menswear is going to go, but a lot of people scoffed at skinnier/slimmer jeans/suits when they first came into rotation, and now anything but is considered outdated.

Obviously, you're entitled to your own opinions, but appreciating an outfit for what it is, regardless of whether or not it would work for YOU, goes a long way to appreciating fashion as a whole. Besides, It's a hell of a lot better than everyone wearing the same shit.

SuperSah

Banned

People see you as some troll or hater, but I've known you on BritGAF long enough to know otherwise.

You're granted to your own opinion, but at least these guys are being themselves and aren't conforming to what society expects them to. Imagine if we all dressed in a way in which people would expect us to, we'd all be boring as living hell and there'd be no way to express ourselves.

I'm unique with my dress sense, keeping away from what everyone is wearing. I love my jeans skin tight, it's just me and something I've done for around 6 years now and likely won't stop for a while to come. Enjoy each other's dress sense, these guys give me the confidence to dress in a way in which I like and to ignore other people's opinions. :)

entremet

So, I am back again!

Been a longtime lurker in this thread, congrats.

It's been crazy seeing your changes over the years too. Inspiring stuff!

Alucrid

Banned
People see you as some troll or hater, but I've known you on BritGAF long enough to know otherwise.

You're granted to your own opinion, but at least these guys are being themselves and aren't conforming to what society expects them to. Imagine if we all dressed in a way in which people would expect us to, we'd all be boring as living hell and there'd be no way to express ourselves.

I'm unique with my dress sense, keeping away from what everyone is wearing. I love my jeans skin tight, it's just me and something I've done for around 6 years now and likely won't stop for a while to come. Enjoy each other's dress sense, these guys give me the confidence to dress in a way in which I like and to ignore other people's opinions. :)

so he's just...british?

you can never go wrong with grey

which reminds me i have a cantarelli grey suit 38r who wants it. i forgot it in a storage bin and i have too many grey suits apparently

jey_16

Banned
need GAF's help again, got a red gingham shirt with a navy suit but im a bit unsure about the tie.

leaning towards a navy tie with either red stripes or red polka dots. Am i in the right zone or should i be thinking completley different? my friend suggested a plain navy tie but i feel like thats a bit boring

Top Bottom