• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Zekes!

John Elliott's aesthetic is quickly growing on me, the more I look at it. Never thought I'd be lusting towards a pair of sweats, but those Kito sweatpants are really something else.

John Elliott and Wings + Horns are pretty much my fit rotation at this moment in time. I got a pair of Escobars, a Villain hoodie, and a few Curve U-Neck tees. I'm not so sure of some of the stuff I've seen from their FW15 (though some of it is definitely dope), and I wasn't loving what I saw from their SS16 shows, but they'll always have their core pieces. I'm definitely interested in where JE will go as a brand though.

Think I might be getting better at vintage shopping! In other news, how am I supposed to wear a red and gold sating japanese souvenir jacket?

John Elliott and Wings + Horns are pretty much my fit rotation at this moment in time. I got a pair of Escobars, a Villain hoodie, and a few Curve U-Neck tees. I'm not so sure of some of the stuff I've seen from their FW15 (though some of it is definitely dope), and I wasn't loving what I saw from their SS16 shows, but they'll always have their core pieces. I'm definitely interested in where JE will go as a brand though.

Long hemlines are gonna be one of those things we look back at in a decade and think, "what were we thinking?"

Zekes!

Think I might be getting better at vintage shopping! In other news, how am I supposed to wear a red and gold sating japanese souvenir jacket?

Long hemlines are gonna be one of those things we look back at in a decade and think, "what were we thinking?"

I've always liked t-shirts and tops with a little bit of length to them, so I actually appreciate the trend somewhat. There's a lot of shitty looks associated with it though, I will admit.

NinjaBoiX

Fashion be cyclical yo.

Saw this Marc Jacobs jacket today, really wanted it but it's kind of out of my price range (£300).

wJOWpkA.jpg

But an olive green leather hoody? It's like somebody designed a jacket specifically for me.

An olive green leather jacket has been on my fashion bucket list ever since I can remember. Never been a fan of leather hoods, but that color looks great.

1. If you work at a place where tees and jeans are ok a suit will be way over the top; do a blazer jeans combo at most.

Yes. Most people at my company wear t-shirt and jeans. Some even wear t-shirt and shorts. But whenever I've seen our company director, he is always in a full formal suit.

If you're going to do the blazer/jeans look then please don't do it with shitty washed jeans like the ones in the first photo. You'll just look tacky.

You need some well-fitting, clean denim to be able to pull that look off (like photo #2).
Yes. I will not go for the faded/washed/distressed jeans. Something clean, dark and elegant if I decide to go with Jeans.

Jeans + sportscoat is a fairly easy smart casual look to pull off. You do need to have clean dark wash jeans though, not that distressed stuff. For the sportscoat, lean more towards unstructured jackets rather than ones with padding on the shoulders for a more relaxed and casual vibe.

For shirting, I'd avoid wearing true broadcloth/twill dress shirts since they'd look a teeny bit out of place. Poplin, oxford, end-on-end, pinpoint, etc. (basically something with a bit of texture and lacks a sheen) would be more suitable.

Neckties aren't really a necessity in this type of outfit, but if you think it's necessary, go for ties that aren't made of silk or shiny synthetics. Again, something with texture or a simple non-garish pattern would work best, such as wool ties or knit ones.

Your shoe game should still be on point. Smooth full-grain leather or suede/nubuck brown brogues with a wingtip or captoe design are very safe and easy options. The belt doesn't have to be an exact match to the shoes in color or materials, but they should still be within a couple of shades.

With all of that said, if you've ever spotted the execs of your company in full suiting on a semi-frequent basis, it's best to play it conservative and go with a traditional suit.

This is great advice. Thank you. Any recommendations on shirts? I'm leaning towards shirts from Banana Republic. Any other preferred brands? I have great looking dress shoes already. Also, most of the executives are usually in business casual at best. I've seen them wear polo + khaki combination a lot. But the director of the company is ALWAYS in a full formal suit.

Probably late to this:

Have you considered a pair of chinos with a white dress shirt and blue sport coat? I think that's a nice medium between casual and full business.

If you feel you need to look dressed up a little more, wear a pair of dark chinos with a sport coat with a white dress shirt.

For shoes, a pair of oxfords work on most of these outfits. I like to rotate between brown oxfords, light brown and dark brown desert boots. I'm looking to add a pair of black chelsea boots, maybe also a brown pair to have some variety.

Personally, I'm always iffy on jeans at the workplace, unless the pair you'll be wearing is a solid dark shade and without the distressed/stress lines on them (first picture you posted).

I'm completely open to chinos + dress shirt + non-structured blazer/sport coat. This is where I lack the most knowledge. I don't know which is more modern. The chino + dress shirt + blazer/sport coat, or the dark jeans + dress shirt + sport coat/blazer.

Also, I'm looking for recommendations on shirts. I already have some good ties and shoes.

By the way, to everyone I quoted... thank you! Really appreciate the advice!

Also, looking for advice on good quality dress shirts. Banana Republic? J Crew? JW Nordstrom? Uniqlo?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Maharishi has become one of my favorite brands recently, but they are nowhere to be found in Canada, making it too expensive for me to order any :|

Fashion be cyclical yo.

Saw this Marc Jacobs jacket today, really wanted it but it's kind of out of my price range (£300).

But an olive green leather hoody? It's like somebody designed a jacket specifically for me.

Really nice. I'm really into khaki/olive.

CatPee

Buy whatever shirts that fit you best, dude. A solid pastel color is the safest option. Relatively flush along the back with minimal muffin-topping when tucked in is your aim. Make sure the shirt can at least drape nice and smooth in the front without large amounts of fabric bunching up. Same goes for the sleeves, and its cuffs should be just long enough to cover your wrist bone and no longer. You're wearing a jacket on top though, so you can get away with a less-than-ideal fit, but purchases should be made with how it fits in mind. Tailored Slim shirts from BR are great for me since I've a pretty slim build, whereas Uniqlo shirts are a bit more baggy in the back.

As far as chinos vs. jeans, I prefer chinos simply due to them being inherently less casual and workwear-y than jeans (though this really depends on the weave of the fabric), therefore they'll be more cohesive when paired along with jacket + shirt + neckwear than jeans.

Doc Az

Neo Member
I've been looking to expand my wardrobe a little, because I really feel like I'm not wearing clothes that compliment my lanky frame. Basically, I'm not sure where to start, all this fashion is super intimidating to me, I don't know what looks...'good'.

My other problem is a budget one. I'm basically living on a shoestring, with only a little money aside to spend on things that are non-essential.

So really, what I'm asking is...how do I look good on a budget?

I've been looking to expand my wardrobe a little, because I really feel like I'm not wearing clothes that compliment my lanky frame. Basically, I'm not sure where to start, all this fashion is super intimidating to me, I don't know what looks...'good'.

My other problem is a budget one. I'm basically living on a shoestring, with only a little money aside to spend on things that are non-essential.

if you don't mind me asking, what are your proportions? I'm extremely skinny as well so I might be able to help you out. Basically though, Uniqlo skinny fit jeans are very flattering without being skin-tight, they're comfortable and won't break your budget ($40 not on sale), better sizing control than Levi's as well.

For shirts just look for slim fit stuff, chances are you've been buying all of your shirts at least a size too big if you're just getting in to fashion. Make sure the shoulder seams match up with where your shoulder bone ends - anything else can be adjusted fairly easily.

H&M is very cheap (both price and quality wise) but they're also very slim fitting by nature, same with ASOS.

Doc Az

Neo Member
if you don't mind me asking, what are your proportions? I'm extremely skinny as well so I might be able to help you out. Basically though, Uniqlo skinny fit jeans are very flattering without being skin-tight, they're comfortable and won't break your budget ($40 not on sale), better sizing control than Levi's as well.

I don't mind at all, excuse my unfamiliarity of exactly how to measure up, because I usually just buy a rough size. I measured in inches around my chest (34''), waist (32''), hips (34'') and the inside of my leg to my heel (30''). I think I'm actually heavier than I thought, but then again, it might just be due to my unfamiliarity with sizes.

I'm a complete novice, who's basically been guessing everything that they buy up till now.

I don't mind at all, excuse my unfamiliarity of exactly how to measure up, because I usually just buy a rough size. I measured in inches around my chest (34''), waist (32''), hips (34'') and the inside of my leg to my heel (30''). I think I'm actually heavier than I thought, but then again, it might just be due to my unfamiliarity with sizes.

I'm a complete novice, who's basically been guessing everything that they buy up till now.
Alright well 32x30 or 32x32 pants are relatively common so you shouldn't have an issue there. Not really sure how to help though unless you have pictures of what you currently own (even better if they're on you in the pics) and a general idea of the style you want to move to.

Alucrid

Banned
not at all

also got some desert boots, they were the same color but ordered in different sizes to see which would fit better and it turned out they ended up being vastly different shades. Which shade do you all like better? The darker or lighter?

whoever opted to come up with the palewave moniker needs to be slapped

Doc Az

Neo Member
Alright well 32x30 or 32x32 pants are relatively common so you shouldn't have an issue there. Not really sure how to help though unless you have pictures of what you currently own (even better if they're on you in the pics) and a general idea of the style you want to move to.

Yeah sure, this is a picture of what I usually wear 'out', i.e if I'm going out with friends or whatever, my 'smart-casual' if you will.

Grumpy Model Pose
(excuse the angle, I had trouble getting a full body shot)

Basically I feel like I'm not smartly dressed enough, to the point where it might appear like I don't put any effort in, which honestly isn't a very good thing for my mood. What can I do to improve on this? Am I coordinating colours correctly? I have other shirts, this was just the 'smartest' one I had available at the time. Should I accesorize with watches? Is the tartan a little too bold?

I prefer darker colours, as you can tell, so preferably something not too colourful, although I don't mind experimenting, if it'll benefit how I 'style' myself. Also I know this isn't relating to fashion, but should I keep that clean shaven look, or is a little bit of stubble fashionable?

Thanks for the help anyway, dude

whoever opted to come up with the palewave moniker needs to be slapped
Eh I find it amusing that it stuck, plus I actually dig the look
Yeah sure, this is a picture of what I usually wear 'out', i.e if I'm going out with friends or whatever, my 'smart-casual' if you will.

Grumpy Model Pose
(excuse the angle, I had trouble getting a full body shot)

Basically I feel like I'm not smartly dressed enough, to the point where it might appear like I don't put any effort in, which honestly isn't a very good thing for my mood. What can I do to improve on this? Am I coordinating colours correctly? I have other shirts, this was just the 'smartest' one I had available at the time. Should I accesorize with watches? Is the tartan a little too bold?

I prefer darker colours, as you can tell, so preferably something not too colourful, although I don't mind experimenting, if it'll benefit how I 'style' myself. Also I know this isn't relating to fashion, but should I keep that clean shaven look, or is a little bit of stubble fashionable?

Thanks for the help anyway, dude
That's not too bad. I'd day you could definitely keep the jacket and the shirt and be set. Although if that shirt is the most formal you have it might be a problem. Solid color casual shirts are really easy to match (blue or grey chambray, any color of oxford cloth).

You're also at the age where wearing a blazer casually is seen as normal, so if you wanted to go down that route look for a casual blazer (unstructured, cotton). Just make sure your shirt is tucked in and you're wearing a belt.

If you wanna keep jeans I'd say opt for a darker blue (indigo) and maybe get a pair of black ones as well, make sure they're no looser than slim fit.

For shoes look in to chukkas or desert boots,I think they'd fit in to your current style pretty well.

Also personally I'd shorten up your hair but eh that's personal. Stubble or clean shaven is fine really, doesn't matter.

Idk I'm sure someone else will come in with much better advice

Doc Az

Neo Member
Idk I'm sure someone else will come in with much better advice

No worries, you have some pretty valid points that I'll take into consideration. I'll definitely try out the blazer idea, it's something I've always wanted to pull off. Thanks for taking the time to help anyway, man.

Lotto

uniqlo is a godsend for relatively short
scrawny
slender frames. they're always having sales every week too. grab some supima tees, they're the best tees i've ever owned in terms of fit, fabric, comfortability, price and longevity. a well fitting piece of clothing does wonders for making yourself look from good to great imo.

Lotto

Thanks...I think? No really though, gonna have a look.

General thread question, how fitted does clothing have to be? Is it better for a shirt to be too small, or too big (if I can't get my exact size)?

i'm a scrawny dude myself, i just use slender as a way to deflect the negative connotation away from myself. sorry, i didn't mean for it to be malicious.

fit clothes are best clothes. not too tight and not too big is generally what you're trying to aim for. it's immensely satisfying to find an article of clothing that feels like it was made for yourself but i think it's much better to have comfortability with some clothes being slightly bigger. you can always get away with something being a bit oversized but having something be skin-tight is a lose-lose in both comfortability and overall look.

Doc Az

Neo Member
i'm a scrawny dude myself, i just use slender as a way to deflect the negative connotation away from myself. sorry, i didn't mean for it to be malicious.

Oh, I wasn't offended, the quote was just in jest, I use it the exact same way. I try not to use it much though, because well, self-esteem and all that.

Quick

Banned

I can't see how the shoulders and sleeves fit on your shirt due to the jacket, but it looks like you could wear a shirt that's one size smaller than on the picture. Every store size is different from the other, but I think a shirt that's a little tighter to your frame works better.

I agree with PsychoWard with owning solid-coloured shirts. Always nice to have a few of them. Works out pretty well if you want to put together a layered outfit (t-shirt + shirt, for example), or if you need to look a little dressed up.

Your jacket is fine. Having a casual blazer isn't a bad idea either. If you're going to pull off a casual blazer, go for a linen blazer. It's summer and it's pretty warm outside.

Pants-wise, doesn't hurt to own a couple of pairs of jeans in different shades. I own a few pairs, and it goes from a really faded light blue to black. For your lanky frame, a slim fit will probably look good.

A couple of pairs of chinos is also handy. Versatile for both casual and semi-formal events, as well as daily usage. Get a pair of brown/khaki, grey, and navy.

My go-to for cheap clothes has been H&M lately. But you can't really go wrong with any clothing store. Old Navy is also pretty good for budget clothing, though their jeans aren't of the greatest quality. Both stores hover on the current trends, as well. If you have any outlet malls near you, definitely spend a few hours there.

H&M is made for lanky dudes, so you might like their store a lot.

Unicorn

We already do, technically. Never in a million years did I think tall tees circa early 2000s would come back.
As a long torso motherfucker, this is the first time that clothes fit me and look good, so whatever.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So our wedding colors are dark blue and silver/steel, etc. My plan was to wear either a dark blue or grey suit for the wedding. Any suggestions on where to get a good one for around $500?

Any styles you'd all recommend? I want something slim fitting, but not "skinny." Something modern.

So I really like EmbellishNYC's styled jeans but they are designer (read:ridiculously) priced.

Is there anybody that does something similar cheaper?
That's actually cheap as hell for that style. You'd pay 10x as much for something from Balmain, and that's the only other brand I know of doing uber-distressed stuff.

If you need cheaper, your best bet is to just get some cheap H&M denim, a knife, and a bucket of chlorine and distress them yourself, honestly.

overcast

Now I just need a leather tee to get the full effect.
Shit man.. I kind of want some leather pants. But I'm not confident enough.

You guys ever get accused of being gay due to fashion? I was hanging out with coworkers and a few of the girls gave me compliments for my clothes. One was sure I was gay lmao. I mean ultimately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shit man.. I kind of want some leather pants. But I'm not confident enough.

You guys ever get accused of being gay due to fashion? I was hanging out with coworkers and a few of the girls gave me compliments for my clothes. One was sure I was gay lmao. I mean ultimately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've worn pink shirts, floral shirts, and whatever. But never been legitimately mistaken for gay. I guess my straight vibe is just too strong.

That's actually cheap as hell for that style. You'd pay 10x as much for something from Balmain, and that's the only other brand I know of doing uber-distressed stuff.

If you need cheaper, your best bet is to just get some cheap H&M denim, a knife, and a bucket of chlorine and distress them yourself, honestly.

It's not really about the distressed look, I like the wave-like bands around the knees.

giga

brehs. Need some new candles and/or diffusers. Any of y'all have experience with aspen bay, dyptique, gold canyon, or archipelago botanicals?

overcast

I've worn pink shirts, floral shirts, and whatever. But never been legitimately mistaken for gay. I guess my straight vibe is just too strong.
Damn, big time W there breh. I mean as I said, it was one girl out of that group. Pretty funny actually. Typically though the more exotic shit actually gets compliments if it's done well.

Used to happen to me a lot, but it's definitely an outdated way of thinking nowadays. At least here in Seattle.

It's not really about the distressed look, I like the wave-like bands around the knees.
Oh, well in that case the biker/rider style you're looking for is still going to be quite expensive. Haven't seen anybody doing it for cheaper than what you posted, honestly.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
On top to the suit question, my Clarks had the laces break. I emailed them but never heard back. I can't seem to find any new ones that match what the old were (I have the beeswax color) any tips? Do I just order some leather laces from amazon? Or would a color look good in there?

Also ordered some of the newer Levi athletic tapered jeans to see how they work. I want to get a more designer pair eventually though. Also may try for the new Yeezy's on Saturday, saw an email from Adidas about them.

Quick

Banned
On top to the suit question, my Clarks had the laces break. I emailed them but never heard back. I can't seem to find any new ones that match what the old were (I have the beeswax color) any tips? Do I just order some leather laces from amazon? Or would a color look good in there?

Clarks customer support is really slow from my experience getting replacement laces, but as long as you provided them the necessary information (shipping address, boot style number), you should already be good to go.

robox

are broken laces on clarks a thing? 'cos mine snapped a while back. i just square knotted them back together. are clarks still considered "quality" despite this?

NinjaBoiX

are broken laces on clarks a thing? 'cos mine snapped a while back. i just square knotted them back together. are clarks still considered "quality" despite this?
I'd never really considered Clarks a "quality" brand but I mean, it depends which way you look at it. They always represented good value for money and were of a decent standard for the price range, but they were never really considered top tier in the grander scheme of things.

Then again, I wear shoes once in a blue moon nowadays so maybe times have changed.

f0rk

I'd never really considered Clarks a "quality" brand but I mean, it depends which way you look at it. They always represented good value for money and were of a decent standard for the price range, but they were never really considered top tier in the grander scheme of things.

Then again, I wear shoes once in a blue moon nowadays so maybe times have changed.
I think the brand must be quite different between the US and the UK, I don't really understand it. For me it was the place your mum buys your first pair of smart shoes or something

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

The laces are super thin and pretty soft, I figured it was a matter of time. I just don't see any third party laces that look great with Clark's. Especially since the original laces are so short due to how few eyelets there are.

Quick

Banned
Hopefully yours actually look like the beeswax leather :(

Did you apply any leather balsam or mink oil on your Clarks?

This is how mine looked after applying some leather balsam on mine, and the wear just made it look even better. When I took it out of the box, it looked like a slightly lighter shade of brown.

fc3d55c34170c887c6f9e62341d6d249.jpg

Lotto

i've had no problems getting new laces from clarks, received 2 pairs within a week of emailing them. not sure if you're emailing them through your own personal email but if not try through their website with the subject being replacement parts: https://www.clarksusa.com/us/contact-us

make sure to give them the correct style number; i accidentally ordered the wrong one hence why i ended up getting 2 pairs.

Quick

Banned
i've had no problems getting new laces from clarks, received 2 pairs within a week of emailing them. not sure if you're emailing them through your own personal email but if not try through their website with the subject being replacement parts: https://www.clarksusa.com/us/contact-us

make sure to give them the correct style number; i accidentally ordered the wrong one hence why i ended up getting 2 pairs.

I did this and it still took them some time to respond. I actually requested two pairs of laces and they did that for me.

Anyway, YMMV.

Swig_

Can anyone suggest a pair of tan slip on dress shoes? I don't know why, but I've had a terrible time finding any that I like. The few that I have found are usually too dark and "bulkier", which look strange when I wear slim fit pants. My shoe size is 12-13 US.

I actually found a great pair of black slipons at Kohls that are exactly what I'm looking for, but can't find anything similar in tan.

I'm looking for something similar to these, but I would like the tan color to be much lighter and less brown.

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/mens/mens-view-all/Tilden-Free-Brown-Leather/p/26110314

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can anyone suggest a pair of tan slip on dress shoes? I don't know why, but I've had a terrible time finding any that I like. The few that I have found are usually too dark and "bulkier", which look strange when I wear slim fit pants. My shoe size is 12-13 US.

I actually found a great pair of black slipons at Kohls that are exactly what I'm looking for, but can't find anything similar in tan.

I'm looking for something similar to these, but I would like the tan color to be much lighter and less brown.

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/mens/mens-view-all/Tilden-Free-Brown-Leather/p/26110314

Check out ASOS and their in-house brand. I bought some nice brown dress shoes for work and they were the ASOS brand, and they look great with slim fit pants.

http://us.asos.com/Men-Shoes-Boots-...0=53&parentID=Rf-400&pge=0&pgeSize=36&sort=-1

Top Bottom