• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Quick

Banned
I got my Chipp2 Forest Green Grenadine tie and Chipp2 Burnt Orange Matka tie.

Forgive the crappy pic:

They're really nice! Love the texture, specially on the Matka. The grenadine's a bit stiff, but I love the colour. I was worried they'd look a bit wide (I normally wear 3" ties, these are 3.25"), but they look decent.

Definitely a step up from my Tie Bar silk ties.

Those ties look great.

Both would work, but I'm liking the idea of Maroon Red.

A maroon tie breaks up the pattern nicely without looking out of place.

GtwoK

Need to get back into looking good, fashion wise. Every so often I get that spark that kinda pushes me, but then costs / effort make me go back to just v-necks / jeans everyday after a few months. I've got an extensive as hell wardrobe, but my problem is putting things together that will look good. Also getting fitted shirts — I really need to learn to start tailoring, because all button ups that I buy are wayy the hell too big on me.

Okay, so the deal: I'm heading to Osheaga this Thursday, trying to pick out some stuff to wear, where I won't get heat stroke form wearing it. I like layering, but it's tough in 30 degree and humid as hell weather. I've picked out some stuff so far, but I think I need to go shopping. Any suggestions for what to buy / what to do with what I've got? (Also sorry for the terrible mirror pics. Sister's room was the only one with a floor mirror in it, but there's 0 quality lighting in there.)

stcxggil.jpg
SzTjUCBl.jpg
TwBHGKwl.jpg
nsToU6Cl.jpg

Also: shorts are a problem with me. I'm 6'4", and have long-ass legs. I love all these new shorts I see at H&M and all that, but on me they're so goddamn short, they don't suit me, and it pains me that I can't wear them because of it. Any advice for what to do about it / where to get nice looking, but good fitting shorts? Here's an example from the H&M change room the other week. Maybe it's just because I had socks on at the time?

Need to get back into looking good, fashion wise. Every so often I get that spark that kinda pushes me, but then costs / effort make me go back to just v-necks / jeans everyday after a few months. I've got an extensive as hell wardrobe, but my problem is putting things together that will look good. Also getting fitted shirts — I really need to learn to start tailoring, because all button ups that I buy are wayy the hell too big on me.

Okay, so the deal: I'm heading to Osheaga this Thursday, trying to pick out some stuff to wear, where I won't get heat stroke form wearing it. I like layering, but it's tough in 30 degree and humid as hell weather. I've picked out some stuff so far, but I think I need to go shopping. Any suggestions for what to buy / what to do with what I've got? (Also sorry for the terrible mirror pics. Sister's room was the only one with a floor mirror in it, but there's 0 quality lighting in there.)

Also: shorts are a problem with me. I'm 6'4", and have long-ass legs. I love all these new shorts I see at H&M and all that, but on me they're so goddamn short, they don't suit me, and it pains me that I can't wear them because of it. Any advice for what to do about it / where to get nice looking, but good fitting shorts? Here's an example from the H&M change room the other week. Maybe it's just because I had socks on at the time?

Your first image is basically my day-to-day look

lemme define this question a little more.

this:

or this:

is the first one the camel hair? I like this.

I can't wait for winter, gonna get another bespoke casentino wool jacket for double breatsed, but I am looking at getting a camel hair single breasted one too

edit: holy shit 3.5k for the cashemere one, I just can't understand buying ready to wear outwear. way too much for a coat that is not tailored.

Black suit and white shirt, yeah I can go with the typical black tie, but want to mix it up. Suggestions? Was feeling silver or maroon red
Just make sure the dress code isn't strictly black tie before you show up with a maroon one. I mean, they are called black tie events for a reason.

h3ro

Thoughts on this suit?

I have a wedding and a day at the races within the next month. I've always fancied something a bit bolder than just black or blue.

http://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5453367

en8nim12p

64% Polyester, 34% Viscose, 2% Elastane

Yikes. I hope you didn't pull the trigger.

What do you guys think about glen plaid check suits?

I like them! I was looking at this suit yesterday at Suit Supply (I have a problem, I admit it) and nearly pulled the trigger but realized I didn't need another summer suit. The pattern is much more pronounced in person and the shade of blue is very subtle, looks very nice in person.

I like them! I was looking at this suit yesterday at Suit Supply (I have a problem, I admit it) and nearly pulled the trigger but realized I didn't need another summer suit. The pattern is much more pronounced in person and the shade of blue is very subtle, looks very nice in person.

I'm just worried about looking dated. I put the suit on hold, took a couple pics, and most people I asked said it looked good, though my dad said the glen plaid looked old fashioned and just stared at me when I showed it to him, haha.

What do you guys think? Pattern looks okay or dated? Like I said, most people seemed to think it's alright, but Style-GAF's opinion always matters to me. Was thinking about matching it with some black chelsea boots which I still plan on getting.

It's just TipTop's house brand, Grafton, so it's like... super-high quality, but it fits pretty well and it's on clearance at 300 bucks Canadian. This would be my second suit after the Navy suit I got in April.

I'm also considering heading to SuitSupply in Seattle next month, but I may go and get a third suit from there anyway. Dunno how their sizing is for me.

Quick

Banned
I think it looks fine. It'll look even better if you pair it with a dark-coloured shirt with a contrasting tie and black shoes.

Is it a slim fitting blazer and pants? I think that's what'll make it look more modern.

I think it looks fine. It'll look even better if you pair it with a dark-coloured shirt with a contrasting tie and black shoes.

Is it a slim fitting blazer and pants? I think that's what'll make it look more modern.

Yeah, it is quite slimming. I mean, I'm a big guy, but it looks good on me. At least, the navy suit does, and it's the exact same size and cut. Trousers will need to be let out an inch, sleeves shortened a bit, pants hemmed (but not tapered since they're already fairly slim). It's a 44S, so a shorter jacket, but I prefer that actually.

Plus, I need to get a couple more dress shirts. Pale blue, pink, something dark like you said. Got plenty of ties.

Quick

Banned
Yeah, it is quite slimming. I mean, I'm a big guy, but it looks good on me. At least, the navy suit does, and it's the exact same size and cut. Trousers will need to be let out an inch, sleeves shortened a bit, pants hemmed (but not tapered since they're already fairly slim). It's a 44S, so a shorter jacket, but I prefer that actually.

Plus, I need to get a couple more dress shirts. Pale blue, pink, something dark like you said. Got plenty of ties.

Get some patterned shirts as well. Adds a bit more personality to the suit. I hate wearing suits to work, but it's a lot more bearable when I put in some personality by way of patterns.

H&M currently has a nice selection of easy-iron slim dress shirts for $17.99 CAD. Bought a few and they look good.

giga

Grey glen plaid is one of my least favorite suit pattern/colors. Do you already have a navy, charcoal, and black? Tux?

Quick

Banned
if they have it in my size. Curse my bigness.

I feel you bro.

H&M dress pants can't handle my calves. However, their slim chinos are perfect on me.

There's a Suit Supply store in Toronto that I really want to check out, but I haven't had the time. I'm just worried they won't have my size.

Quick

Banned
Anybody wanna guinea pig and try those new converse to report on how they feel?

I completely missed my shot at trying them out earlier. I saw it at a store, but I didn't have time to really have a look.

Colours look nice in person though. The blue is a nice shade that really pops.

So, I called SuitSupply cause I got tired of waiting on the e-mail. Turns out that suit isn't gonna be 'replenished' until October, which sucks. On the bright side, they have a new Fall/Winter collection hitting in August. They'll have Blue Line Napoli suits, in Navy and Grey, so I'll likely be able to get something similar from the new collection.

Huzzah.

GtwoK

What's everyone's opinion on cargo shorts?

I'm not a fan, but I'm going away tomorrow and wanted to put together an outfit with a navy button up w/ white polka dots and a pair of olive-green-ish shorts. The only shorts I've got in that colour are cargo shorts from some years ago though.

I was thinking I'd wear them, as long as cargo shorts aren't a big getthefuckouttahere. I've got some other green shorts, but I don't think the colour goes well with the shirt. Opinion? The second pair is much more green in real life.

Quick

Banned
NTGYK, I think I'm gonna visit Suit Supply this weekend.

I'm set on a suit and maybe an extra pair of trousers, but their outerwear looks great and could be tempting as well.

Top Bottom