• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Post pics please. I would wanna see those Saint Laurent cheseas.

edit: better picture

11823943_923606761019255_1324172544_n.jpg

Yeah, I'm not wearing jeans. I've been hunting around thrift stores for shirts, but pants and shoes are more specific in dimensions that even if I find a nice pair, chances are they don't fit.

The Tigers are super comfortable and professional looking, given them being black and gray, and don't clash with the pants I do have (at least, I don't think so). The pants are cotton with some elastine. Basic nicer pants from H&M - sorry, don't know the term for them, haha.

So, no budget shoe options in the styles you mentioned? I could just put some inserts for arch support, etc.

There are some ~$100 Oxfords at Nordstrom. I feel that is within my budget, based on other things I get, just for reference. past $150 will be too much, I fear.

EDIT:
Also in the market for a means to carry materials (Surface, notebooks, planner, pens, etc.). Side bag or something similar.
Sneakers will never be professional looking, though. They're casual shoes by nature, doesn't matter what color they are. Sure, they can work in some business casual scenarios, but ultimately, if you want to go all the way with the look, you'll eventually need some leather shoes. Especially if you're dressing for a working environment.

While low-cost leather shoes are typically less comfortable, that's not going to be your biggest issue. As anyone who's bought cheap leather shoes will tell you, they're going to fall apart in a few weeks. The reason they're cheap is that they use the lowest grade leather possible. You're going to end up buying like 6 pairs of $100 oxfords when you could've just bought a pair of Allen Edmonds from the get-go and had those for the next 10 years. Couple that with the fact that, as I said before, your feet never change in size, spending a little extra money and getting GOOD shoes is probably your best return on investment in fashion, period.

Buy cheap shirts, buy cheap pants (not jeans), both of those you'll either get tired of after awhile or potentially grow out of depending on your body type. Don't ever buy cheap leather shoes though.

Doesn't mean you have to go out and buy the Saint Laurent chelsea boots posted above either.

Folks, I need advice. I have an extremely important presentation coming up. I will be presenting my project to the executive director of my company. My company is a very modern company and most people wear t-shirts and jeans everyday. But I want to make a good, professional impression while also having a modern look.

Someone suggested I try the jeans + solid color dress shirt + tie + sport blazer look. Something like this:
b1477786cdaa27fb2f877b7afba66373.jpg

Picture-61.png

tie-with-jeans.jpg

Or is something more traditional more preferred like this:
Suits_Blue_Plain_Havana_P3788_Suitsupply_Online_Store_1.jpg

1. If you work at a place where tees and jeans are ok a suit will be way over the top; do a blazer jeans combo at most.

2. what kind of shoes? black canvas casual or whatnot? if so, grey I suppose. I mean we're talking a green polo, pants, and shoes. nothing crazy here.

Folks, I need advice. I have an extremely important presentation coming up. I will be presenting my project to the executive director of my company. My company is a very modern company and most people wear t-shirts and jeans everyday. But I want to make a good, professional impression while also having a modern look.
[/IMG]
If you're going to do the blazer/jeans look then please don't do it with shitty washed jeans like the ones in the first photo. You'll just look tacky.

You need some well-fitting, clean denim to be able to pull that look off (like photo #2).

CatPee

Someone suggested I try the jeans + solid color dress shirt + tie + sport blazer look. Something like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b1/47/77/b1477786cdaa27fb2f877b7afba66373.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Picture-61.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.zigoti.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tie-with-jeans.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://statics.suitsupply.com/images/products/Suits/zoom/Suits_Blue_Plain_Havana_P3788_Suitsupply_Online_Store_1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Jeans + sportscoat is a fairly easy smart casual look to pull off. You do need to have clean dark wash jeans though, not that distressed stuff. For the sportscoat, lean more towards unstructured jackets rather than ones with padding on the shoulders for a more relaxed and casual vibe.

For shirting, I'd avoid wearing true broadcloth/twill dress shirts since they'd look a teeny bit out of place. Poplin, oxford, end-on-end, pinpoint, etc. (basically something with a bit of texture and lacks a sheen) would be more suitable.

Neckties aren't really a necessity in this type of outfit, but if you think it's necessary, go for ties that aren't made of silk or shiny synthetics. Again, something with texture or a simple non-garish pattern would work best, such as wool ties or knit ones.

Your shoe game should still be on point. Smooth full-grain leather or suede/nubuck brown brogues with a wingtip or captoe design are very safe and easy options. The belt doesn't have to be an exact match to the shoes in color or materials, but they should still be within a couple of shades.

With all of that said, if you've ever spotted the execs of your company in full suiting on a semi-frequent basis, it's best to play it conservative and go with a traditional suit.

Quick

Banned

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b1/47/77/b1477786cdaa27fb2f877b7afba66373.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.elementsofstyleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Picture-61.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.zigoti.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/tie-with-jeans.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://statics.suitsupply.com/images/products/Suits/zoom/Suits_Blue_Plain_Havana_P3788_Suitsupply_Online_Store_1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Probably late to this:

Have you considered a pair of chinos with a white dress shirt and blue sport coat? I think that's a nice medium between casual and full business.

If you feel you need to look dressed up a little more, wear a pair of dark chinos with a sport coat with a white dress shirt.

[QUOTE][IMG]http://styleblog.g3fashions.in/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/011.jpg
6f089f9dce0e5fb83d043e7de5d53ad6.jpg

757874e8503e8e9ab73698c9f608526a.jpg

tumblr_mit5qt5Jmf1qajhjjo1_500.jpg

For shoes, a pair of oxfords work on most of these outfits. I like to rotate between brown oxfords, light brown and dark brown desert boots. I'm looking to add a pair of black chelsea boots, maybe also a brown pair to have some variety.

Personally, I'm always iffy on jeans at the workplace, unless the pair you'll be wearing is a solid dark shade and without the distressed/stress lines on them (first picture you posted).

jesalr

The crotch of my 511s have already blown out.

I wear them most days, and got them in March, but that just seems way too soon. Any other pair of jeans I own last a minimum of a year before they blow.

Need to find a sewing machine, I guess

Quick

Banned
The crotch of my 511s have already blown out.

I wear them most days, and got them in March, but that just seems way too soon. Any other pair of jeans I own last a minimum of a year before they blow.

Need to find a sewing machine, I guess

Maybe you need a slightly looser fit, like a size up?

I have a couple of pairs of 511s that I rotate between and both have been just fine after a year now. My black 511s have faded, so I bought another pair.

jesalr

Maybe you need a slightly looser fit, like a size up?

I have a couple of pairs of 511s that I rotate between and both have been just fine after a year now. My black 511s have faded, so I bought another pair.

I have another pair in the same size (different colour) that's lasted me just fine for an age. The fit on both pairs isn't particularly tight either.

giga

Cyclone, just a tip, but I'd ask your barber or stylist to not trim as much on the top. Seems like he or she is cutting a little too much. I think you could go half an inch to three quarters of an inch more.

Quick

Banned
NTGYK, I'm currently wearing the navy grenafaux tie from The Tie Bar. It looks fucking sleek, and it works with a lot of shirt combos. Good recommendation.

I'm looking to order a few more ties from them, and I think I'm gonna go for another grenafaux in a different colour.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Cyclone, just a tip, but I'd ask your barber or stylist to not trim as much on the top. Seems like he or she is cutting a little too much. I think you could go half an inch to three quarters of an inch more.

So keep it a bit longer on the long section? I guess I could do that. My stylist is pretty awesome, she's a master stylist now. Does some good work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I mean where your hair starts to grow on the top. It seems like she's shaving too much off at one side.

Ah, well that's because I have a part there, and it doesn't like to be moved. My hair is longer than normal right now, usually the long section is shorter too.

NTGYK, I'm currently wearing the navy grenafaux tie from The Tie Bar. It looks fucking sleek, and it works with a lot of shirt combos. Good recommendation.

I'm looking to order a few more ties from them, and I think I'm gonna go for another grenafaux in a different colour.

Good stuff, bro. I love that tie.

Quick

Banned
Just tried on a couple of brands of Chelsea boots, both either my usual shoe size or a size down, and it looks disproportionately big on me on either size.

Maybe it's the mirror.

CatPee

John Elliott's aesthetic is quickly growing on me, the more I look at it. Never thought I'd be lusting towards a pair of sweats, but those Kito sweatpants are really something else.

Top Bottom