• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Alright, Men's Fashion GAF, I need your help.

I was bummed to find that this shirt vendor only ships to Canada.

tumblr_nq5lzkzEt01sy7qkmo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nq5lzkzEt01sy7qkmo1_1280.png

Anyone know of a similar style of shirt? Looking for some shirts I can wear to work that ride the line between business and casual. It's not a super unique shirt, but those prices are great.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm looking for a black hoodie to wear under some jackets this fall. I could go for the basic usual metal-head-like black hoodie, but I have this feeling that I should be able to get something that is a bit nicer without being ostentatious. I'm thinking maybe a black quilted hoodie would be good, but either way if anyone has some suggestion let me know:)

Gonna be worn with this jacket (I don't button the top, so the hoodie will be fine, tried it already with a gray one).

And I'll likely wear it with a black bomber, but I have yet to buy one. Also got some collared black jacket already but I'm not feeling collars much anymore unless it's under a sweater, or just rolled up sleeves in the summer.

If I can't find anything I'll just get some regular cheap hoodie, I feel there's no need to pay a lot otherwise, they all look the same if they're the classic one, you just need to look for the little details like making sure the cords don't look like ropes, not have the clearly visible stitching, etc.

There was this quilted hoodie but it's out of stock: http://www.mltd.com/10-deep-x-box-quilted-pullover-hoodie-black-pr-74112.html

giga

Looks like jcrew has new alden copies. Pretty good prices at $250 msrp, which means they'll be under $200 with a sale. Moc toe and cap toe, both goodyear welted.

Can anyone suggest a pair of tan slip on dress shoes? I don't know why, but I've had a terrible time finding any that I like. The few that I have found are usually too dark and "bulkier", which look strange when I wear slim fit pants. My shoe size is 12-13 US.

I actually found a great pair of black slipons at Kohls that are exactly what I'm looking for, but can't find anything similar in tan.

I'm looking for something similar to these, but I would like the tan color to be much lighter and less brown.

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/mens/mens-view-all/Tilden-Free-Brown-Leather/p/26110314
Please don't get those. If you want "dressy slip-ons," look at penny loafers. Bass is a good starting point. Getting a tan color will be hard unless you go for suede. What's wrong with brown? It's far more versatile.

Quick

Banned
You guys ever have a stranger approach you randomly and ask for fashion advice?

Happened to me earlier while browsing at a clothing store. I don't think he assumed I worked there, since my outfit didn't fully mesh with the other employees' clothes.

It feels to me like a sign that I may actually look fashionable enough that people ask me about my opinion about dressing up.

giga

Happened to me earlier while browsing at a clothing store. I don't think he assumed I worked there, since my outfit didn't fully mesh with the other employees' clothes.

It feels to me like a sign that I may actually look fashionable enough that people ask me about my opinion about dressing up.
He was hitting on you breh. Should've asked him out.

Alucrid

Banned

i had a 20 minute conversation about common projects with some dude on my street before when he came up to me

Anth0ny

quick, open an instagram account!

NinjaBoiX

I often get complimentary comments on my clothes, specifically t-shirts, jackets and trainers. I usually choose fairly bright, eye-catching tees, my trainer collection is always kept in good condition (everyone appreciates well kept kicks) and I like to think I pick pretty, versatile cool jackets.

It's nice to have your tastes appreciated, for sure. I occasionally get asked for my opinion on an outfit, but more often than not by my female friends. I don't think "how do I look" is a particularly comfortable man-to-man question in a social context, rightly or wrongly.

Quick

Banned
I've definitely been complimented on my style ever since I decided to put more effort into dressing myself. But being asked for help in that manner made me think back.

NinjaBoiX

I like pairing socks fresh from the drier. Laying them out on your bed, finding the right twin and then folding them up into a neat flat parcel is oddly satisfying.

I'm a bit weird.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Looks like jcrew has new alden copies. Pretty good prices at $250 msrp, which means they'll be under $200 with a sale. Moc toe and cap toe, both goodyear welted.

I have last years moc toe in suede. Glad they changed the sole on the new version. They really aren't bad for the price, but yeah wait for sales. I got mine for ~$40 on an end of year clearance sale.

Zekes!

What do ya'll rock for wet-weather shoes? I've been on the hunt for something water-resistant that would be good for running around outdoors or hiking (I work with kids during the school year and we do some outdoorsy activities occasionally).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What do ya'll rock for wet-weather shoes? I've been on the hunt for something water-resistant that would be good for running around outdoors or hiking (I work with kids during the school year and we do some outdoorsy activities occasionally).

To piggyback, best boots/shoes for winter/snow?

Alucrid

Banned

i just wear leather boots. probably going to buy some of those fur lined boots mac has for this winter though

Lotto

katahdin boots with otter wax works for me, although for running it may not be the most comfortable. it doesn't really get wet round these parts though, usually wear them when i go hiking in winter/spring.

obin_gam

Went to Volt and Brothers today. Got some work clothes.

J. Lindeberg $59

Riley $79

Eton $49

These Glory Days $79

These Glory Days $69

Was really looking for some more colorful things, but both me and the clerk agreed that these gray things actually fits me and my plan* for them.

* For the immediate hot late summer I'll use the waistcoat instead of a blazer. Then for the slightly less warm early autumn I have a light blue blazer for the t-shirt and dotty shirt. Then during the high autumn I have a woodland green wool blazer which will be complemented with the square:y one and the dark cars one.

FStop7

Banned
Is Theory's stuff decent? I was checking some of their stuff out at Neiman Marcus and I thought it looked all right, but I didn't try anything on.

photoaug231733209istg.jpg

I had a 1/2 off code for Banana Republic so I picked this jacket up for $100. Sort of like an old school military surplus jacket but it's got a bit of sheen.

FStop7

Banned
My shoe size is US 13 / UK 12.5 / EU 46

Any suggestions on styles similar to the post above that are made in my size? I have a couple of pairs of Diesels but they're not as elegant as those, IMO.

My shoe size is US 13 / UK 12.5 / EU 46

Any suggestions on styles similar to the post above that are made in my size? I have a couple of pairs of Diesels but they're not as elegant as those, IMO.
common projects does do a 46 eu, kinda difficult to spot... you could probably clean the fuck up at sale season; I usually see nice sneaks in big sizes get damn cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-Common...shoes-SZ-46-/221862962374?hash=item33a81024c6

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/common_projects/original-achilles-grained-leather-sneakers/596289

Oxn

I know you guys have discussed before that the clothing from China and Korea are crap, and that they are cheaper than H&M stuff.

But they just look so damn good, and fits my body type so much better.

Quick

Banned
Got a few of my jeans hemmed, and I got a European hem done for the first time, since the place I went to was charging less than where I went to before, and a regular hem just looks like garbage on jeans.

I picked them up today and it looks nice, but there's a bit of a lump where the hem was sewed on. I'm assuming this is normal. I don't think it's noticeable.

I know you guys have discussed before that the clothing from China and Korea are crap, and that they are cheaper than H&M stuff.

Are you talking about Chinese and Korean brands, or clothes made from there?

Oxn

Got a few of my jeans hemmed, and I got a European hem done for the first time, since the place I went to was charging less than where I went to before, and a regular hem just looks like garbage on jeans.

I picked them up today and it looks nice, but there's a bit of a lump where the hem was sewed on. I'm assuming this is normal. I don't think it's noticeable.

Are you talking about Chinese and Korean brands, or clothes made from there?

Asian brands. Those cheap ones on ebay

I mean, if they legitimately look good on you then that's the most important thing.

The problem with those Korean eBay brands is that they almost always never fit as advertised. They're notorious for pinning/clipping the hell out of the mannequins to achieve an impossible fit, and sucker people in who don't know any better. Yeah, it'll probably fall apart in a few months, but considering what you probably paid for it, I'd say it's pretty appropriate.

overcast

be careful with it, I had a nice umbrella and the last time it rained hard someone stole it out of the umbrella rack at the restaurant I was in
I'll go with a cheap but decent looking one ultimately. Like with everything else.
Just get wet like a man, brollies are for girls.
Depends how rainy it is.
Really like that jumper, but not $1200 like.
Yeah man. I love that sweater. Would pay 100 or under for it.
It was 90 degrees today and I saw a guy wearing a pea coat.
Anything to look good??

Wtf

overcast

What are your big purchases or wants for the fall/winter brehs?

I personally still NEED a leather jacket (thinking bomber or Harrington) and I still need to purchase my navy blue suit + oxfords.

Quick

Banned
What are your big purchases or wants for the fall/winter brehs?

I personally still NEED a leather jacket (thinking bomber or Harrington) and I still need to purchase my navy blue suit + oxfords.

I bought a couple of jackets for the fall and winter season over the summer in clearance sections of stores, but I do want a more vibrant winter coat. I was thinking of maybe a rust/dark red coat or something in a slightly lighter colour that shows off patterns.

These are all pretty much from SuitSupply, but I'm not looking for theirs specifically:

I'm also looking into getting a suit or two, for more options in my daily wear. I want one with a double breasted jacket. Probably in navy. And another suit in brown or grey.

As well as some checkered pants to mix and match with some of my jackets. Truthfully, I don't know how much I would be pushing it if I wore checkered pants to work, but I figured I'd keep it mostly subtle.

Lastly, boots. I've been eyeing the Red Wing Iron Rangers for ages now, but I haven't had the time to really look for them in-store. Most places I've gone to so far don't carry it or are out of stock. The Wolverine 1000 miles is an alternative. And also just wingtip boots to wear with my suits.

Top Bottom