• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

An intervention is generally required when someone is making poor decisions which are adversely affecting their lives. The fact that most people could kit out a whole wardrobe for the same price as one or two or your astutely fashionable and culturally discerning purchases seems entirely relevant.
Dude, it doesn't matter if you, me, or anyone else could put together a whole wardrobe for the cost of some SLP boots. It's not our money and I'm sure as hell not about to tell him how to spend his. I'm not going to hold an intervention for my friend who likes artisanal wood-fire pizza when there's a perfectly capable (albeit, arguably not as good) Sbarro down the street.

NinjaBoiX

Dude, it doesn't matter if you, me, or anyone else could put together a whole wardrobe for the cost of some SLP boots. It's not our money and I'm sure as hell not about to tell him how to spend his. I'm not going to hold an intervention for my friend who likes artisanal wood-fire pizza when there's a perfectly capable (albeit, arguably not as good) Sbarro down the street.
Oh absolutely not, just as it's not up to dude rocking a hawaiian shirt, leopard print varsity jacket and high heels to initiate a fashion intervention.

(Just joking Illithid, that outfit would clearly clash worn all at once. :p)

My tone often comes across as overly confrontational in here but it's just banter innit. ANYWAY, little tiff behind us, I bought some new kicks today:

zqiX9dA.jpg

Check out the gold print, classy eh?

Oh absolutely not, just as it's not up to dude rocking a hawaiian shirt, leopard print varsity jacket and high heels to initiate a fashion intervention.

(Just joking Illithid, that outfit would clearly clash worn all at once. :p)

So now the amount of money I spend doesn't matter when you get called out on it? I know you only do this to rile up a reaction, but at least keep your antagonizations straight when you do so. Regardless, I think engaging in an endless argument with some guy with a napoleonic conflict probably isn't the best idea, so I'm moving on.

NinjaBoiX

So now the amount of money I spend doesn't matter when you get called out on it? I know you only do this to rile up a reaction, but at least keep your antagonizations straight when you do so. Regardless, I think engaging in an endless argument with some guy with a napoleonic conflict probably isn't the best idea, so I'm moving on.
It's Complex.

And there's no "ic".

And you entirely missed the point regardless.

The difference between wearing Southpole or Saint Laurent isn't so much the brands as it is that Southpole, and brands like it, are notorious for being poorly made garments, both in the durability sense of the word and the fashion sense of the word.

Simply put, it's lazy. You could be getting better made items, that get you the look you're after (and do a better job of it), probably for less than what you pay for Southpole.

And who is Midnights? You mean Style Fox?
MiDNiGHTS / Style Fox / Bam Bam / Whatever he goes by now.

NinjaBoiX

The difference between wearing Southpole or Saint Laurent isn't so much the brands as it is that Southpole, and brands like it, are notorious for being poorly made garments, both in the durability sense of the word and the fashion sense of the word.

Simply put, it's lazy. You could be getting better made items, that get you the look you're after (and do a better job of it), probably for less than what you pay for Southpole.
I've bought a few Franklin & Marshall items recently, I guess they fall into a similar street wear category but it's actually really nicely made and not at all garish (in the main). I bought a simple grey crew neck sweater with a stitched "V" on the collar last month and the material is gorgeous, soft fleece inside and smooth, nicely woven cotton outside. It's a quality garment.

I guess you've got to pick and choose but it's not all "look ma, I got shot ten times" plastic gangsta tatt.
And who is Midnights? You mean Style Fox?
Snazzy Fox.

overcast

Anyone ever get those Italy Sea Blue pants from Gustin? The free shirt I got from them was pretty nice though probably not worth the standard price.

I think this whole high-fashion versus low-fashion is a good topic of discussion though.

I mean, truthfully, what are you're paying for when you buy something from a Saint Laurent, Rick Owens, Givenchy, etc.? Yes, you pay for the name, that's undisputed. But part of the reason you pay for the name is the reputation of quality that name has. You're also paying for the designs, style, general aesthetic, status, etc. of the brand, but ultimately, is that truly worth the markup of price from say, a competitor making essentially the same garment (perhaps a season or two later) for less than half the price?

Regardless, I suppose that's all relative to the buyer. But for those of you who say it IS worth it, what specifically about said piece/brand is it that makes you pay that premium for your items?

PS. I'm drunk. Just trying to start some decent Manshion™ discussion going here.

Tcab96

Well, time to intervene then. What's your budget?

I have 300 to spend on clothes.

I don't know what part of the world you're based out of, but here in America, Southpole was a staple hip-hop/urban/wannabe-urban-kid brand in the early 2000s. Doesn't have a particularly good reputation, mostly because of the times/style of fashion it was associated with. That's why people are poking fun at you.

Honestly, I haven't heard Southpole mentioned in at least 5 years. Didn't realize they were still going. If you've got photos of styles you like, we can give you clothes/advice for other brands that are a little more respectable/modern.

But hey, if you're partial to Southpole, go for it. To each their own.

I mainly just like the designs on South Pole shirts like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YCTEK9M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

for real though, liking South Pole is fucked up

I'm sorry

It's cool. I understand South Pole has negative feelings and views associated with them. I don't give a fuck.

I like how it looks, so I'll wear it. That's how it works for me. 😅

What's good for fat people? The slim pants won't cut it.

yohji yamamoto, or just go normcore and get some straight cut dad jeans and some addidas

For real though, what you get when you buy designer clothing depends wholly on the brand. If you're buying something like Loro Piana or Brunello Cucinelli you're getting basically the best made clothes money can buy, but perhaps not necessarily the most fashion forward. If you're buying Saint Laurent, it's much more about how directional the clothes are and how they fit versus the quality, which while being very good, is not the end all be all. Sometimes designer clothing are all mark up, and just hype. I've never seen a designer t shirt that was worth the price on the tag.

One of the biggest things with designer clothing though is quality control. I've heard stories about how four different pairs of the same levi's jean in the same size will all fit differently, how stitching is fucked up on H&M shirts. That basically doesn't happen with designer clothing, and if there is some mistake, or a piece falls apart too quickly, the designer will almost always replace it for free.

It's cool. I understand South Pole has negative feelings and views associated with them. I don't give a fuck.

I like how it looks, so I'll wear it. That's how it works for me. ��

Putting it nicely that shirt is... not good. And if you want to wear that shirt, that's all well and fine, but it seems weird to come in to this thread, ask for advice, and then when everyone tells you not to wear South Pole ignore that advice completely. We're just trying to help!

Oxn

If you like South Pole, why ask for brands like South Pole? Just get South Pole, its not like they are expensive.

I literally cant think of anything worst than South Pole and brands like South Pole.

I can go into wal mart and k mart and find something i vastly prefer over South Pole. That is unless they sell South Pole there.

overcast

Lucky, as far as expensive clothes go I simply cannot justify them. I can drop 400 on a shirt but that'll be forgoing a whole wardrobe of clothes for me (plus ignoring everything else in life). On the other hand, I can see myself spending a lot of money on certain items. A jacket or shoes can justify up to like 250 IMO. Cause those are once every few years purchases and they'll last a while.

Shirts I cap out at like 50-70 if I realllyyyy need it. Pants closer to 100. Tshirts 30-40 tops. It's worked for me.

I need a lot of new clothes when I come back from my trip though. Really lacking.

Tcab96

If you like South Pole, why ask for brands like South Pole? Just get South Pole, its not like they are expensive.

Because I want to explore what options I have that are similar to South Pole. Is that a problem?

I figured I might as well look into the other clothing brands that may be similar to South Pole in design because those clothing brands may have shirts, shorts, jeans, etc., that I like even more or equally.

And in the future, when more clothing came from these brands I learned about, I could keep in mind those clothing brands I like.

Putting it nicely that shirt is... not good. And if you want to wear that shirt, that's all well and fine, but it seems weird to come in to this thread, ask for advice, and then when everyone tells you not to wear South Pole ignore that advice completely. We're just trying to help!

I asked for advice regarding clothing brands similar to South Pole in shirt design because I liked it. I got that advice, more or less.

I didn't ask for advice about whether or not I should wear South Pole.

But what seems even weirder to me is that you said you were going to give me an "intervention."

Alright. Fine, I figure I might be able to learn a thing or two. I tell you my budget, which you asked for, but instead of commencing with your "intervention," which I assumed involved telling me of better clothing I could get, you continue to harp on South Pole.

But don't worry about it. Think I've reached the cap of the amount of help I'm going to get in this thread.

Thanks for the suggestions, peeps. Peace.

Reminds me of an Affliction t-shirt. Maybe that's what you're looking for.

You're super right. I looked at some Affliction shirts, and I like what I'm seeing. Thanks for that, Lyle.

if you're into graphic tees you should upgrade to marcelo burlon or somesuch and ditch the affliction-tier stuff, which is for aging dads who watch mma reality shows on spike.

on the subject of capes i've located this nice dolce & gabbana number but it's $1200 which seems indulgent for an already indulgent item.

41559499xv_14_f.jpg

still waiting for a valentino cape to hit eBay at some point. may the dream never die.

whoa i have nothing against ugly/trashy things, I enjoy ugly/trashy things, but if you're gonna get something ugly/trashy, get the best ugly/trashy shit you can buy. no half-measures!

As I said, trolls.

On topic...

I bought three Outlier Futureworks pants...

102-OUTLIER-Futureworks-stroll.jpg

103-OUTLIER-Futureworks-penny.jpg

You don't notice it until you wear them, but the fabric is classified as two-way stretch, which means they are comfortable as hell. I already have their Chino 60/30 and I wish all my pants (including jeans) were as "elastic". You can walk, run, put in your knees, whatever and NEVER feel any kind of stiffness or discomfort.

It's impossible to go back to "normal" fabrics after trying these Outliers.

that reminds me i need to get those outlier denim-not-denim things. kinda post-denim right now. just not feeling it anymore.

Are you talking about the Slim Dungarees?

001-outlier-slimdungarees-pyramidzz.jpg

If so, I have them too, super light fabric (with water repellent properties), they breathe just great. My only complain is the leg opening is too narrow (I love to wear boots and the Dungarees just don't work with them).

If one day Outlier begins to sell these very same pants with let's say... half an inch wider leg opening, I'm gonna buy 20 pairs (in all the colors available!).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As I said, trolls.

On topic...

I bought three Outlier Futureworks pants...

You don't notice it until you wear them, but the fabric is classified as two-way stretch, which means they are comfortable as hell. I already have their Chino 60/30 and I wish all my pants (including jeans) were as "elastic". You can walk, run, put in your knees, whatever and NEVER feel any kind of stiffness or discomfort.

It's impossible to go back to "normal" fabrics after trying these Outliers.

Are they expensive? Sound good for work pants.

Are they expensive? Sound good for work pants.

Sadly, yes. These Futureworks cost USD125. The Chino 60/30 are out of stock right now, but they cost around USD220.

In my opinion, while expensive, they are so great and comfortable that at the end you feel you get what you pay.

yeah; and i pretty much just wear jeans with sneakers, so gimme those delicious 7" leg openings ahhhhh

Then you're gonna love them. I forgot to add that, but yes, if you wear sneakers, those Dungarees are the perfect replacement for jeans.

Top Bottom