• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Is Asos in house stuff shit? Sorry to keep spitting brands out, I just need to reevaluate my basics. I want to grab this bomber and a scoop neck pack...

nWYo8Y4.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Is Asos in house stuff shit? Sorry to keep spitting brands out, I just need to reevaluate my basics. I want to grab this bomber and a scoop neck pack...

I probably wouldn't buy their outerwear or higher-priced stuff in general, but the tees, button-ups, casual pants, etc are fine. Holds up better than H&M for the same money, and I do like that there's, like, an entirely new selection of things practically every other week. Downside is that if you pass something up or get a wrong size, you're probably not going to see it again. Ever.

overcast

Yeah, Gitman has been my go-to shirting company for a few years now. Their FW15 collection is fantastic and the forthcoming SS16 one is great as well.
Wish I could afford them as well. Going to try some out soon in the same self-pity way.
It's not good quality for sure, but it's cheap and it'll work/look good for a year if you take care of it. Actually the two jackets I own have been really good for me. Go for it if you think it looks good imo.
What are you guys looking to cop for F/W?
Leather jacket. Those Desert Malis I posted last page. Various sweaters and shirts. Need a leather jacket though forreal.

robox

speaking of h&m et al...

Last Week Tonight on Fast Fashion

how do y'all feel about it?
it has made more conscious about what i buy. i feel i make a decent enough living that i can consider more homegrown brands, such as naked & famous, wing + horns, chrome industries; where articles are made in Canada or USA. end up having to be pickier about what i buy though!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got this suit from RW&CO

21237034791_acd7c46130_z.jpg

ignore the fold on my left bicep. I didn't properly stretch the sleeve out when I took the picture

This is kind of exactly what color I want for my wedding. Do you have a link to it online? Also did you buy online? I always wonder about getting it right buying online. I guess you could then get it tailored locally.

I've never had an issue with them. Got both pairs of my work shoes from there, and some other random stuff. Link to that combo?

SystemBug

This is kind of exactly what color I want for my wedding. Do you have a link to it online? Also did you buy online? I always wonder about getting it right buying online. I guess you could then get it tailored locally.

I bought mine in the store, my best friends girlfriend works at RW&CO so she was able to get me a pretty significant discount on it. But you can find it online here (and they seem to be having a sale) - http://www.rw-co.com/en/miles-suit-blue-teal/f15-men-suit-miles-blue-teal.html?cgid=men-clothing-suits-miles#start=1

The color of the suit does change depending on lighting. Sometimes it will look more blue-ish other times more grey-ish. The suit itself wasn't trailored for me but it it kind of has that look. I got the size 38. I only got the pants hemmed because they were way to long for me.

h3ro

The suit looks nice but looking at the particulars of the fabric (64% polyester, 19% viscose, 15% wool, 2% spandex) means that it likely won't stand the test of time beyond a handful of wears.

Also, is that a built-in pocket square? Might limit your options for your tie and other accessories.

SystemBug

The suit looks nice but looking at the particulars of the fabric (64% polyester, 19% viscose, 15% wool, 2% spandex) means that it likely won't stand the test of time beyond a handful of wears.

Also, is that a built-in pocket square? Might limit your options for your tie and other accessories.
It's just the inside of the pocket.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
anyone heard of DSTLD? are they any good? they make really cheap raw denim jeans...

https://www.dstldjeans.com/products/cigarette-raw-denim-jeans-in-dip-indigo-timber

edit: people in r/rawdenim were shitting all over the brand, but most of the negative stuff was from a year+ ago and the few recent posts seemed to hint that maybe they've gotten better now? i don't know how to determine the quality of raw denim so i can't tell just by looking at the pictures

kaskade

I was going to buy some bean boots last year but they were back ordered for months so I never did. I should probably do that now so it doesn't happen again.

I'm not sure if I should go with the classic 8" one or the 10" shearling lined one. I kinda like the look of the darker leather.

S94iQRu.jpg

anyone heard of DSTLD? are they any good? they make really cheap raw denim jeans...

https://www.dstldjeans.com/products/cigarette-raw-denim-jeans-in-dip-indigo-timber

edit: people in r/rawdenim were shitting all over the brand, but most of the negative stuff was from a year+ ago and the few recent posts seemed to hint that maybe they've gotten better now? i don't know how to determine the quality of raw denim so i can't tell just by looking at the pictures
I think the reason DSTLD has been a joke in the raw denim world is that they market their brand towards denim enthusiasts but don't even include the details/quality/material that denim enthusiasts look for. For instance, the jeans aren't selvedge, nor are they 100% cotton, the former of which means the quality and construction (probably) isn't up to par with true selvedge denim, and the latter meaning the jeans won't last nearly as long as something with 100% cotton will.

With that said, at $65, if the jeans fit you well then I'd say you're getting your money's worth. At $180 it's a complete ripoff.

If you're looking for cheap selvedge, check out Unbranded. If you want selvedge with stretch fabric in it, Naked & Famous makes a few good options.

First Nordstrom opens next week in Vancouver

Is it really that good/different?
Nordstrom is cool. I mean, it's definitely not life-changing, but the close proximity to Seattle will probably mean a much better selection of clothes than most stores.

NinjaBoiX

DKNY stuff sucks man. That cardigan I got instead of the Harrington looks really cheap and tacky in person as well. It feels like it's ready to fall to bits too, there's nothing to it.

Don't think I'll be buying any more of her stuff!

The G-Star hoody looks mint though, well happy with it.

DKNY stuff sucks man. That cardigan I got instead of the Harrington looks really cheap and tacky in person as well. It feels like it's ready to fall to bits too, there's nothing to it.

Don't think I'll be buying any more of her stuff!

The G-Star hoody looks mint though, well happy with it.
dkny has a high end line for women that's nice but the mens is pretty bad by comparison.

IronRinn

NinjaBoiX

dkny has a high end line for women that's nice but the mens is pretty bad by comparison.
Yeah, the Harrington felt like I was wearing a (very tight) crisp packet and I swear I nearly put my thumb through the sleeve trying on the cardigan. At £300 and £120 RRP each respectively I expected far better quality!

Ah well, I'll return the cardigan and just buy yet another pair of trainers, can't get vexed.

SystemBug

Just using this as a jumping off point for my mini rant: How fucking useless are size charts on most websites, specifically for suits? Why won't you tell me how wide the fucking shoulders are!? Like, god damn. Obviously, it's good on places like Suit Supply, but shit, I don't have the scratch to be buying their stuff.
One of the reasons I never buy clothes online

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think the reason DSTLD has been a joke in the raw denim world is that they market their brand towards denim enthusiasts but don't even include the details/quality/material that denim enthusiasts look for. For instance, the jeans aren't selvedge, nor are they 100% cotton, the former of which means the quality and construction (probably) isn't up to par with true selvedge denim, and the latter meaning the jeans won't last nearly as long as something with 100% cotton will.

With that said, at $65, if the jeans fit you well then I'd say you're getting your money's worth. At $180 it's a complete ripoff.

If you're looking for cheap selvedge, check out Unbranded. If you want selvedge with stretch fabric in it, Naked & Famous makes a few good options.

Thanks for the response and for the suggestions! I knew I could count on you :)

Turn me on to some new denim guys. I've been wearing Trues for the last 7 years now, and feeling like something new. Looked at Robins and they are too loud/skinny for me. I wear low-rise boot-cut/flare exclusively, hard to find these days in men's denim.

Turn me on to some new denim guys. I've been wearing Trues for the last 7 years now, and feeling like something new. Looked at Robins and they are too loud/skinny for me. I wear low-rise boot-cut/flare exclusively, hard to find these days in men's denim.
There's a reason boot-cut went out of style, man.

You sure you don't just mean straight leg? With leg openings getting so small nowadays, that's pretty much the modern equivalent.

Lotto

Article on BoO's demise: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/f...-band-of-outsiders-fast-rise-faster-fall.html

the company that made me realize the importance of fit. i went from wearing medium shirts in high school to extra smalls. i had no idea why i thought my body type was medium when i was obviously skinnier than everyone else i knew. farewell band! i should stock up on whatever shirts i can find left available. at least there's still gitman and WvG for my shirting purposes.

Article on BoO's demise: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/f...-band-of-outsiders-fast-rise-faster-fall.html

the company that made me realize the importance of fit. i went from wearing medium shirts in high school to extra smalls. i had no idea why i thought my body type was medium when i was obviously skinnier than everyone else i knew. farewell band! i should stock up on whatever shirts i can find left available. at least there's still gitman and WvG for my shirting purposes.
speaking of boo this is dope

503869406_1_topcropfront

but i'm really not surprised to see them go; while its cool the company stuck to its guns re: quality, they occupy the a look that can be easily lifted and diluted without much effort. I feel the same will happen to ovadia & sons soon, though they don't have nearly the brand cache or influence.

speaking of this season has some good shit. will probably wait for sale season like usual though. not feeling a hunger yet.

The crazy thing about Band of Outsiders' demise is how sudden it was. I mean, they had literally JUST opened their Tokyo store a few months prior.

I don't think anyone was expecting to see them fall as far as they did.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ASOS is having a sale on jackets and long sleeved stuff. Looking for a good winter coat for dress-up/down. Anyone see anything there?

Also thoughts?
http://us.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5422988&CTARef=Basket+Page

Also might grab this:
http://us.asos.com/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5273437&CTARef=Basket+Page

Also, while I'm asking, I'm going to grab the new Moto 360 watch. Thoughts on the black/gold? It'd go with pretty much everything right?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...lack/4363437.p?id=1219736632091&skuId=4363437
Or do I just go with all black.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorol...lack/4363429.p?id=1219736622349&skuId=4363429

Top Bottom