• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

h3ro

GAF, I am in the direst of fashion straits that I've ever had the misfortune of being in.

The good news is that I just got hired for a great job that I'll begin next week. The bad is that it's business casual - the type that requires you to tuck your shirt in.

That might not sound like a big deal, but I'm 5'11" and 260 lbs (i.e., overweight). My whole sense of style up to this point has been designed around the idea of wearing untucked shirts that mask the contours of my body, but that's not going to be an option anymore.

I have no idea where to even begin. Online shopping seems like a terrible idea, because I need to try on clothes to know if they look right. What brick and mortar shops should I be checking out? Are there any pro-tips for tucking in shirts without accentuating paunches? I really don't want to be self-conscious on top of the stress that already comes with starting a new job, so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Here is a great article with some tips from TSB. Hope it helps :)

http://articlesofstyle.com/12454/dressing-your-body-type-tips-for-heavier-guys-featuring-sergio-arteaga/

Cindro

Are you allowed to wear sweaters/jumpers? A dark-coloured solid one might be an option, if you're not living in the south or a tropical country.

Tucking in is actually good for appearance anyway. Wear a nice belt and tuck your shirt in tight and see the results. Wearing loose clothing only makes you look bigger than you actually are.

Check out slim-fit trousers, too.

These are both great - thanks a ton!

Any suggestions on which stores I should be looking for clothes at? My usual haunts are low-level retailers like Khol's and Bergner's, but I might have better luck elsewhere. An H&M just opened in my town last weekend - do they carry any plus size stuff, or is it all tight and sexy European fabrics that would crush my internal organs should I try to slip one of their shirts on? I read Macy's has a plus size section, so maybe I could check that out too, but I'm not sure if they carry anything fly.

Quick

Banned
These are both great - thanks a ton!

Any suggestions on which stores I should be looking for clothes at? My usual haunts are low-level retailers like Khol's and Bergner's, but I might have better luck elsewhere. An H&M just opened in my town last weekend - do they carry any plus size stuff, or is it all tight and sexy European fabrics that would crush my internal organs should I try to slip one of their shirts on? I read Macy's has a plus size section, so maybe I could check that out too, but I'm not sure if they carry anything fly.

H&M is generally for stick figures. Not saying I'm thin, I lean on their larger sizes (L-XL).

I've never been to a Khols or Bergner's, but I wouldn't disregard them completely.

Check out American Eagle, they sell trousers with elastane to allow for stretching. Larger sizes are available online, and I think their in-store stock usually only goes up to 36.

Gap is also a good choice. Their sizing tends to be on the larger end. Old Navy is cheap, also an option.

Quick

Banned
Just wanted to add with American Eagle: their Active Flex/Flex (elastane) jeans are great. I sized up on their skinny jeans and while the waist is loose, the legs are just the right fit for me.

Gotta say, target continues to impress me with their stuff; wool blend plaid bomber for $70. Not bad for a store I can get my toilet paper from 👌🏻

z6JfcrU.jpg

Does anyone here own a pair of Corthays? I have always seen them online and find them to be a piece of art, but seeing them for the first time in the flesh at the weekend left my jaw hitting the ground. They truly are the most beautiful shoes, especially the ones with patinas.

They cost an absolute bomb here in Korea, but I am thinking of treating myself to a pair, but don't know about their quality for wear and how comfortable they are.

Anyone have experience with a pair?

LL

OB-PV960_cortha_D_20110928060652.jpg

corthay_bella_01052011_patine_abbe_04.jpg

a3385e879e5d07207abaa35ebf72af1e.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, it'll work for you because it's your google account, but hotlinking to it won't work for anyone else because it's security protected.

Got some pretty cool pressies off the bro, including a Dismaland tee I never got around to buying:

iS3YjXV.jpg

Fruit Of The Loom, only the best for Banksy.

got drunk last night and bought a pair of $200 silk boxers. i kind of regret it, but at the same time don't regret it at all. happy 20th day of hanukah

Guys, what are some nice high fashion sneakers I should purchase? I kinda want to spoil myself at least once on some mildly expensive shoes. I prefer black and white. And I do like the balenciaga arenas and ysl sneakers but yeah.

MoodyFog

Guys, what are some nice high fashion sneakers I should purchase? I kinda want to spoil myself at least once on some mildly expensive shoes. I prefer black and white. And I do like the balenciaga arenas and ysl sneakers but yeah.

National Standard, Common Projects, Axel Arigato, Lanvin

Anth0ny

got drunk last night and bought a pair of $200 silk boxers. i kind of regret it, but at the same time don't regret it at all. happy 20th day of hanukah

oh my god haha

drunk shopping is a hell of a thing. I went on vacation to Vegas earlier this year, got drunk and bought 4 pairs of roshe runs. did not think through how I'd get them into my luggage and onto the plane back home.

#worth

Arenas are lame IMO, or maybe just played out. Lanvin is probably the most "lux" looking of the bunch listed, but my heart is loyal to common projects.

Yea I agree. That's why I don't want to buy them although I do like them. I don't like them that much to be that guy who has the same shoes as all the wanna be rappers in my area.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been looking at some shoes and all of sudden want something tan leather. Kinda feelin the Stan smiths but I'm on the search for something similar but way more expensive lol

Jintor

Hi friends.

I've recently come to the realisation, or perhaps the realisation has become more pressing, that I'm unstylish as fuck.

Where do I start to fix this problem

purg3

slept with Malkin
fall_2010_063_jacket.jpg

Apolis Indigo chore coat. Just ordered this as a birthday gift to myself, been wanting one for a while and had a coupon code.

X-Frame

Can anyone recommend me some good looking, not over the top leather jackets? In the $500-$750 range please?

I keep seeing SchottNYC being recommended? How are they?

I'll be honest, I like the look of the Grant Ward character's jacket in Agents of Shield:

Agents_Of_Shield_Grant_Ward_Jacket__93976_zoom.jpg

MoodyFog

Can anyone recommend me some good looking, not over the top leather jackets? In the $500-$750 range please?

I'll be honest, I like the look of the Grant Ward character's jacket in Agents of Shield:

All saints is pretty cool looking for the money

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Can vouch for Allsaints being solid, but preferably when on sale - Lotta stuff is 50 to 70% off at the moment, so good time to buy.

Oak NYC is awesome, but again, that's only going to be in your price range if you can find it on sale. Boyfriend got a $650 jacket for $150 during black Friday.

Topman has some decent leather stuff, too. Worth a look.

X-Frame

Can vouch for Allsaints being solid, but preferably when on sale - Lotta stuff is 50 to 70% off at the moment, so good time to buy.

Oak NYC is awesome, but again, that's only going to be in your price range if you can find it on sale. Boyfriend got a $650 jacket for $150 during black Friday.

Topman has some decent leather stuff, too. Worth a look.

I appreciate the recommendations! I'll definitely check them out then.

I figure I'll stop by the Schott store today and check out their stuff and how it fits first. For example, this 660 Cafe Racer seems to look extremely similar to that picture:

https://www.schottnyc.com/products/cafe-racer-jacket.htm

Might check that out if there are any left, on sale too.

CFMOORE!

i will also vouch for Schott. Not everything has a european style cut/fit to them, so some might not like that, but you can size down to get a more fitted look and the jacket will of course stretch as it breaks in. Plus they're made in the US and have been around for 100 years. they know how to make a garment.

Does anyone here own a pair of Corthays? I have always seen them online and find them to be a piece of art, but seeing them for the first time in the flesh at the weekend left my jaw hitting the ground. They truly are the most beautiful shoes, especially the ones with patinas.

They cost an absolute bomb here in Korea, but I am thinking of treating myself to a pair, but don't know about their quality for wear and how comfortable they are.

Anyone have experience with a pair?

LL

OB-PV960_cortha_D_20110928060652.jpg

corthay_bella_01052011_patine_abbe_04.jpg

a3385e879e5d07207abaa35ebf72af1e.jpg
I've heard good things about them but they are not my shit at all. I'm too boring :(

http://www.soulrevolver.com/

Lots of jackets with similar style to the one you posted. They also offer vintage and distressed jackets.

The quality and the fit is fantastic and they cost around the prices you are looking for.

Top Bottom