• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

So I just had LASIK surgery performed a few weeks ago so for the first time since I was 10 years old can enter the wonderful world of sunglasses.

First off: Why the fuck are these so expensive?

Secondly: Suggestions for good ones under $100? Note that I prefer traditional styling with a little flair; I'm over 30 and in the corporate world so I have to keep it somewhat conservative, but I still like to add something to stand out. I saw some Clubmaster copycats that I really liked over the weekend but they were Banana Republic at $100 and I didn't care for the BR logo on the sides of the frame.

Alucrid

Banned
_MON0296.jpg
_MON0180.jpg
_MON0280.jpg

two jackets + tan suede boots for me

Lotto

i need some serious help here, can't decide between the sand/beige easel or the blue/black easel.

help me decide please which one is more versatile and would pair with more casual clothes.

here are the colors/clothes in question:

i really just want both. on one hand the blue/black one has a more interesting texture/color going on but i think would be worn less by me, while the beige one i feel like i could just wear all the time (+ i don't have much beige in my wardrobe.) leaning towards the blue/black. wish i could see it worn on a model, would make figuring this out easier. need to figure this out soon since the preorder window is closing soon.

f0rk

Maybe a stupid question... I have a pair of Oliver Sweeney shoes and the rubber part of the heel has nearly worn to the wood. What's the replacement process? Will it cost a lot? On their website it only talks about full remakes for £125 which is overkill as the rest of the shoe is fine.

Ptaaty

Shoes - help me out! I want rubber sole, quality FULL leather upper (no fabric at all)

I have a pair of black Rockport dressports from 2008, rubber sole, only leather upper (no fabric at all). These are still decent for me - wearing 3 days a week.

What can I get comparable? Live in the seattle area so I want rubber sole.

All new Rockport dress shoes have "adidiprene" interior uppers, which breaks down/wears and is not even close to the full leather upper on the old shoes.

giga

Shoes - help me out! I want rubber sole, quality FULL leather upper (no fabric at all)

I have a pair of black Rockport dressports from 2008, rubber sole, only leather upper (no fabric at all). These are still decent for me - wearing 3 days a week.

What can I get comparable? Live in the seattle area so I want rubber sole.

All new Rockport dress shoes have "adidiprene" interior uppers, which breaks down/wears and is not even close to the full leather upper on the old shoes.
So you're looking for dress shoes? Why rubber sole? What about combination soles?

allenedmonds_sole_v-tread-tap-sole_l-600x350.jpg

SeanR1221

Casual shirts with chinos, tucked or untucked? For a formal occasion of course, but informal? Does untucked look too sloppy (keep in mind the shirt is not longer in the back). Because I'd feel over dressed tucking

Casual shirts with chinos, tucked or untucked? For a formal occasion of course, but informal? Does untucked look too sloppy (keep in mind the shirt is not longer in the back). Because I'd feel over dressed tucking

Is this an event on a beach? If not, tuck your shirt in.

The only time I'll wear buttoned dress shirts untucked is if they have a casual print and I'm wearing jeans and sneakers in an informal setting (like a bar).

BumRush

Tucked. Unless the "informal" occasion is having a few friends over or something but I'm assuming you meant out. Show off that new bod!

SeanR1221

For reference
Tucked

Untucked

Also, I've recently stepped up my face and hair game. An important part of fashion. Left is November

I agree. Tucked looks better. If I wanna untuck I'll stick with jeans.

Edit: actually now I'm undecided. I like untucked as well.

Edit 2: I posted the same question on r/mensfashionadvice and got torn a new one for tucking lol

Both look good, but for informal occasion I always prefer untucked. Besides how good it looks, it's much more comfortable, IMO.

Just leave the tucked in look for boring situations, like office meetings :p

PS: Keep your hair/facial hair, you look much much better :)

Definitely tuck if possible, your upper body is pretty massive which makes the untucked one look slightly ridiculous. New haircut is definitely a big improvement.

grkazan12

Hey Gaf, I need help identifying a camo jacket that I think is pretty dope. I tweeted the dude in said photos, but got nothing back.

I'm desperate for any help. Thanks.

uB1wJua.jpg

GuhNd0j.jpg

grkazan12

I tried examining it and it's either a logo or possibly a stain. I just have no clue what it could be.

What is this type of jacket called?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like Yeezy's Season 3.

I notice this style has been popular recently. You see it with Maharishi and some others, same colors, slight or strong military vibe, oversized. I prefer Maharishi's because it usually has some oversized design, but fitted at the wrists or neck.

Also I knew months ago that burgundy would get really popular, natural evolution of the earth tones we have seen recently, and it was nice to see some matching poping colors in YSeason3.

SeanR1221

Pants bulge from wallet/keys/phone. How do you guys avoid it? Or do you just go with it? I got these ultra stretch chinos from uniqlo and they fit perfect in the waist and I like how they taper and show my legs off but I cant avoid the bulge :/

SeanR1221

I always wear a jacket

Good call. But what about spring time if I were to wear these with a shirt?

Side note. This is a BIG adjustment for me. My pants have always been on the baggy side but I was tired of how they made my legs look like tubes and covered the tops of my shoes.

So to recap, in one year I went from...

- shaved head to hair
- baby face to beard
- regular target t shirts to a mix of v necks, shirts and sweaters
- baggy jeans to stretch chinos
- the same old boat shoes to a variety of chucka and other shoes
- boxers to boxer briefs

It's like a whole new Sean! But I have to admit the pants feel weird even though they fit perfect in the stomach (I went from size 38 jeans to wearing 34s in these).

Anth0ny

Pants bulge from wallet/keys/phone. How do you guys avoid it? Or do you just go with it? I got these ultra stretch chinos from uniqlo and they fit perfect in the waist and I like how they taper and show my legs off but I cant avoid the bulge :/

wallet = left ass pocket

keys = front left pocket

phone = front right pocket

best I can do without a jacket. It sucks though. the day everything in our wallet can just be accessed through our phone will be a good day for mens fashion indeed.

I have a similar problem--"athletic" legs. I have to get slim fit because straight fit end up looking bell-bottomsy on me, with the bottoms being baggy and the thighs being tighter. Slim fit has its own problems, but I prefer it to the alternative.

Anyway--I got an All-Et wallet (very minimal bi-fold wallet), key ring for keys (no pocket bulge, easier to access anyway), and for the phone...well, you just gotta go with it. Sticking my phone in my back pocket always makes me nervous, so you just gotta make do with a little bulge unless you're wearing a jacket.

Ha no, did some online shopping coping mechanism stress relief.

http://www.armani.com/us/emporioarmani/light-leather-jacket_cod59141289eh.html

Finally arrived, wonderful fit and hue in person. Too bad I have to put it away in a locker until the man™ grants me permission to wear it. 😫

Also I have grown quite fond of a lot of Emporio Armani as of late... Diligently filtered there are a lot of nice things available, and it's all made nicely.

lawnchair

Banned
Ha no, did some online shopping coping mechanism stress relief.

http://www.armani.com/us/emporioarmani/light-leather-jacket_cod59141289eh.html

Finally arrived, wonderful fit and hue in person. Too bad I have to put it away in a locker until the man™ grants me permission to wear it. 😫

Also I have grown quite fond of a lot of Emporio Armani as of late... Diligently filtered there are a lot of nice things available, and it's all made nicely.

that is dope. i want a hip slim black jacket like that that doesn't cost $700. ;_;

overcast

Anyone know any brown boots similar to the Clarks desert Mali in price, look and quality?

Adore my black ones.

Wait.. There are brown desert mali's... Still. Anything else? 🌚

I saw a story in the WSJ that was talking about men shopping at (and they actually used this wording) "trendy retailers such as H&M and Zara" and all I could think of was the Last Week Tonight segment on fashion.

Top Bottom