• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

CatPee

where do i go for a good messenger bag

I like Navali's offerings. Quality control seems to be somewhat spotty, from what I've seen, but they'll gladly replace the defective bag for free if you get in touch with them, and the ones that are good last a fairly long time. Sales are semi-frequent too.

Kraftwerk

81CDmTXWvXL._UY1152_CR0,0,860,1152_.jpg

Impulse purchase

very nice

Ptaaty

So you're looking for dress shoes? Why rubber sole? What about combination soles?

allenedmonds_sole_v-tread-tap-sole_l-600x350.jpg

Finally circled back to this thread....but yeah "dress" but not real high end, just midrange...mostly collared shirts, some ties mixed in.

Allen Edmonds like you posted is typically a bit past what I'd like to spend, but if they last 5+ years of every other day wear, maybe. Also looks like Cole Haan has some in the sub $200 which are a good approximation for my old rockport leather upper / rubber sole.

Man, I am so close to buying the Gustin olive duffel...I just don't need it.
I have an Everlane duffel but the construction on that one seems a lot better, and it has a shoulder strap.

Also I might be selling my pair of the Gustin Italy Sea Blue jeans, they look nice just not really my thing it turns out

NinjaBoiX

Haven't had a denim jacket for years, bought this one the other day:

Levi's Line 8 Trucker - Smog Grey said:

Not often a fan of them with the usual abundance of pockets and buttons but I found this one pleasantly understated.

Edit: Also, Calvin Klein boxers are a bit shit really. I got some when I bought the jacket, they're a baggy fit and the material is quite transparent. Disappointed as I was expecting some primo pants.

Quick

Banned
Decided to pick up a pair of baby blue slim khakis, and I'm regretting it a little.

I'm really not sure what to wear with it.

I recently decided to get into unconventional fashion, and John Elliot is my first foray into it. It all feels so, so comfy and so right. The Hooded Villain is legit the best hoodie I've ever owned.

Let us know how they are in 3 months!
the shoes have been stuck at 60% for the last few days so maybe not even :(

CatPee

the shoes have been stuck at 60% for the last few days so maybe not even :(

It'll typically surge as the time windows approaches the end, though. Did you size down? They're apparently sized exactly like Common Projects, so they'll run a size large unless you have wider feet.

Anth0ny

Not often a fan of them with the usual abundance of pockets and buttons but I found this one pleasantly understated.

Edit: Also, Calvin Klein boxers are a bit shit really. I got some when I bought the jacket, they're a baggy fit and the material is quite transparent. Disappointed as I was expecting some primo pants.

Yeah truckers are legit. I'm looking to pick up a tan colored one whenever my local Levi store gets them in stock.

As for Calvin Klein boxers, I wear them and they fit me pretty well. Obviously ymmv when it comes to underwear. I also just picked up some meundies, and they are comfortable as fuuuuuuuuuck. they also have some neat designs :)

NinjaBoiX

Just how much of a fashion faux pas is denim on denim? I'm not talking stonewash on stonewash, but more that grey Levi's jacket with some indigo jeans.

Is it just a flat out no-no? Does a decent colour combo go some way to forgiving such a sin?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Denim jacket with jeans is absolutely fine, classic even, provided the two aren't the same color. Black and blue, light and dark, etc.

fep

i bought it lol

J Crew
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/cotton/PRDOVR~B1552/B1552.jsp

J Crew Factory
https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/jackets_outerwear/jackets/PRDOVR~C8498/C8498.jsp

Can anyone tell or does anyone know the differences between these two jackets? At the links you can't see the inside of the Factory version to compare with the B1552, but from the pictures I think the cuffs might be different? Either way they seem pretty comparable (or even exactly the same).

Really like the color and style. What's the weight like? I'm going to have to find one in store and check it out.

SystemBug

J Crew
https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/outerwear/cotton/PRDOVR~B1552/B1552.jsp

J Crew Factory
https://factory.jcrew.com/mens-clothing/jackets_outerwear/jackets/PRDOVR~C8498/C8498.jsp

Can anyone tell or does anyone know the differences between these two jackets? At the links you can't see the inside of the Factory version to compare with the B1552, but from the pictures I think the cuffs might be different? Either way they seem pretty comparable (or even exactly the same).

Really like the color and style. What's the weight like? I'm going to have to find one in store and check it out.
I think they are the same. my jacket looks like just the one the model is wearing depsite me purchasing it from the factory website. do note that the jacket comes with a hoodie. you can put it back into the pouch to hide it but it looks extremely puffy

giga

jcrew factory carries similar/close copies of regular store items but they're usually lower in quality in one or more ways from my experience. thinner or lower quality material and sometimes not as attractive cuts or styles. spend what you can.

Anth0ny

Just how much of a fashion faux pas is denim on denim? I'm not talking stonewash on stonewash, but more that grey Levi's jacket with some indigo jeans.

Is it just a flat out no-no? Does a decent colour combo go some way to forgiving such a sin?

i'd go as far as to say it's "in" at this very moment

ZU8N27h.jpg

as long as the jacket/shirt is a different shade as the jeans, you should be fine. avoid the canadian tuxedo unless you're chuck norris

NinjaBoiX

Denim jacket with jeans is absolutely fine, classic even, provided the two aren't the same color. Black and blue, light and dark, etc.
Yeah, that's what I thought too.
It's really quite light, and a slim but relaxed fit. I love it.
avoid the canadian tuxedo unless you're chuck norris
lol, brilliant, never heard that before.

fep

I think they are the same. my jacket looks like just the one the model is wearing depsite me purchasing it from the factory website. do note that the jacket comes with a hoodie. you can put it back into the pouch to hide it but it looks extremely puffy

It's really quite light, and a slim but relaxed fit. I love it.

Glad you guys are enjoying your purchases, these impressions are helpful and much appreciated!

jcrew factory carries similar/close copies of regular store items but they're usually lower in quality in one or more ways from my experience. thinner or lower quality material and sometimes not as attractive cuts or styles. spend what you can.

Thanks for the info, both stores seem to have decent sales (at times) so I'll have to check out the jackets in person. Color doesn't seem like it is represented right in the pictures either judging from Ebay to J Crew to forum posts and impressions.

rokkerkory

I recently decided to get into unconventional fashion, and John Elliot is my first foray into it. It all feels so, so comfy and so right. The Hooded Villain is legit the best hoodie I've ever owned.

Let us know how they are in 3 months!

Looks nice but too expensive for my blood :(

CatPee

Double indigo denim is still super easy to pull off if it all fits nicely and there's variation in either color, texture of denim, or both. A pair of heavyweight indigo jeans with my deep indigo warp/black weft jacket is one of my favorite outfits. It still looks great even if I go full Canadian Tux and toss in a blue chambray/denim shirt for that triple denim goodness.

backed the olive Gustin duffel because it doesn't look like the brown one is going to hit the goal :(

Damn, surprised to see Navy overtake it. Seemed like the redheaded stepchild.

I can't decide between Olive or Navy :( I already have a waxed brown jacket, don't want to match too much, although it is a lovely color.

Damn, surprised to see Navy overtake it. Seemed like the redheaded stepchild.

I can't decide between Olive or Navy :( I already have a waxed brown jacket, don't want to match too much, although it is a lovely color.
thought the brown easily looked the best but it seems like I'm not in the majority. navy doesn't look good at all imo

I got hit by a car a few weeks ago, so I'm looking at a fat payout from the insurance company.

I'm already planning on how to spend All dat moneys on mens fashion lol

My style is impeccable anyway, but the concussion might make me want to try stupid shit, like bam bam

MoodyFog

I got hit by a car a few weeks ago, so I'm looking at a fat payout from the insurance company.

I'm already planning on how to spend All dat moneys on mens fashion lol

My style is impeccable anyway, but the concussion might make me want to try stupid shit, like bam bam

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/blue_blue_japan/slim-fit-patchwork-cotton-trousers/649972?ppv=2

http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/blue_blue_japan/patchwork-denim-jacket/649971?ppv=2

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
http://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens/blue_blue_japan/patchwork-denim-jacket/649971?ppv=2[/url]

Saw a very similar coat at Nordstrom Rack a few weeks ago, can't remember the name of the Japanese designer.. Anyway, it was hilariously ugly and equally hilarious to see a $700 price tag.

CatPee

Saw a very similar coat at Nordstrom Rack a few weeks ago, can't remember the name of the Japanese designer.. Anyway, it was hilariously ugly and equally hilarious to see a $700 price tag.

Probably Visvim. I understand the reasoning behind the pricing, but goddamn, I don't think I can ever wear any of their stuff at all.

The burgundy is hot. Wonder how they'll price it.

Email only had this to say (at this point):

Finally, we can’t wait to show you what our highly efficient business model is all about. Leather jacket prices can be stratospheric, particularly when you get into USA-made, well styled garments with top quality leather and hardware. $1,000 is probably considered a value in this category. This is the type of environment we love wading into — taking complex garments, making them in the USA and offering them at truly radical values.

Yeah, if going by their normal "this normally costs X but we're selling it to you for Y" statements, it will probably be around 60% of their "this normally costs" statement, so around $600.

giga

$600 would be Schott pricing. Will wait for reviews then.

Also Gustin doesn't do returns, only store credit. So that's a risk too.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm looking for a cheap, slim, leather shoulderbag for everyday carry. I found a model I really like, but i'm undecided on the colour. Which do you guys think looks best and which is more versatile? I'm currently leaning towards the cognac over the dark brown.

Top Bottom