• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

giga

I bought one of each (short sleeve with the finished sleeve), and I think I lucked out with buying the long sleeve in large, since it's not available anymore.

The price hurts (especially having to convert USD to CAD + shipping to Canada), but I've been really curious about them and I've been looking for quality Henleys for ages.

Edit: And the customer support is apparently pretty good. While I'm hoping the shirts fit just fine, I'm hoping the customer support is how r/MFA says it is. On a side note, I also appreciate that it uses Amazon Payments and I didn't have to make an account on their website.

i can vouch for the customer support. the founder himself answered my questions over email and processed a return for one item.

Any decent fashion-minded travel clothing out there?

i.e. fast drying, possibly wrinkle resistant, compact or packable (jackets)

Doesn't have to be labeled 'travel' clothing, but having one or two of the above is always a plus.

Ditched most of my cotton shirts, stocked up on a few Airism tees... merino wool shirts and socks seem to be a thing. I use a garment folder and packing cubes, but I'd like to have at least one or two outfits that don't require a lot of upkeep (ironing, etc).

I'm having a hard time finding decent items that can be dressed up a bit. Trying to pair down my wardrobe for travel, but also on the daily. Like anything, it seems to be a balance.

Tips or thoughts?
outlier.nyc

eU3xhtt.gif

I agree with Giga, Outlier is most probably what you're looking for. It's expensive, but IMO, it's worth it.

Most (if not all) of their t-shirts are made from Merino wool, so they feel great and offer a strong odor/wrinkle resistance.

They have a fair amount of pants, one of them is called Slim Dungarees, and it's defined by themselves as the 21st century jeans. It's made from a totally different fabric, which is exactly what you need (liquid repelent, almost no wrinkle, when it gets wet, it dries super fast).

Take a look at this review, it may be helpful...

http://snarkynomad.com/an-obsessive-review-of-the-outlier-slim-dungarees/

giga

the SDs are great but as you said, they're more of a jeans replacement. for something that can be "dressed up" i'd recommend the 60/30 chino or new OGs (if they're ever restocked)

or a pair of joggers

fep

the SDs are great but as you said, they're more of a jeans replacement. for something that can be "dressed up" i'd recommend the 60/30 chino or new OGs (if they're ever restocked)

or a pair of joggers

Hey these options look great, thanks. Will keep an eye on some of these pants and jackets. Figured it would cost some $$ for form and function though some of the alternatives snarkynomad mentions may work.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, I need a bow tie for my wedding coming up in September. Here's my suit, our wedding colors are navy blue, steel, and gray. What style of bow tie and color would be best? Silver?

Note, suit hasn't been tailored yet. Pics are a few months old.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
well first thing's first you need to unbutton your jacket's bottom button

Don't you do that when you sit down?

Also, if I did something like this one, would it blend into the shirt too much?
https://bowties.com/products/stars-b3415?variant=1234040747

Also, I don't have the undershirt yet either, just the suit. So was possibly thinking gingham. Ideas?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...h-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=NAVY- PATRIOT

Would a bowtie with a design paired with a gingham shirt be too busy?

Don't you do that when you sit down?

Also, if I did something like this one, would it blend into the shirt too much?
https://bowties.com/products/stars-b3415?variant=1234040747

Also, I don't have the undershirt yet either, just the suit. So was possibly thinking gingham. Ideas?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nordstr...h-personalizedsort&fashioncolor=NAVY- PATRIOT

Would a bowtie with a design paired with a gingham shirt be too busy?
no, you do that all the time. personally I unbutton my jacket entirely when I sit down but I don't know if there's as much of a convention about that

h3ro

Not a great photoshop, but how does it look with a blue gingham and the star bowtie?

For a formal occasion like your wedding, I'd go white shirt with a solid Navy tie. White linen square.

Also, never button the bottom button on both the vest or jacket. It messes up the natural drape of the fabric. Traditional rules dictate unbuttoning the upper button when seated as well.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For a formal occasion like your wedding, I'd go white shirt with a solid Navy tie. White linen square.

Also, never button the bottom button on both the vest or jacket. It messes up the natural drape of the fabric. Traditional rules dictate unbuttoning the upper button when seated as well.

Hmm, I kind of wanted to go a bit different than 100% traditional, thus the gingham and patterned tie. Does what I posted work together?

I may try on basic colors as well, but i'm not feeling a basic white shirt.

h3ro

Cyclone, If you want to go with a pattern, I'd say go pattern shirt with a solid tie or vice versa. You're only seeing small view of the shirt and tie so it may look too busy.
Another win for joggers: no buttons to worry about.
Joggers with button fly = satan

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Well, my Zanerobe jacket came in and it looks great but the zipper is fucked from the get-go. Really poor quality it seems, it actually comes apart on two different spots. Contemplating returning it and asking for another or just ask for a refund and look for something else :/

Well, my Zanerobe jacket came in and it looks great but the zipper is fucked from the get-go. Really poor quality it seems, it actually comes apart on two different spots. Contemplating returning it and asking for another or just ask for a refund and look for something else :/

First impression is last impression, get a refund

FStop7

Banned

Get a refund unless you really love the design. There's no excuse for using cheap zippers. YKK or gtfo.

giga

Don't get a 100% linen suit unless you plan on wearing it just a few times a year. Mine's already starting to fall apart after 5-10 wears each summer (3 years old). ☹️

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Get a refund unless you really love the design. There's no excuse for using cheap zippers. YKK or gtfo.

Well, that's the thing, it's actually YKK. So could be honest just bad luck and getting a faulty zipper. But then their quality control is lacking a bit though. I'm currently trying to find out where I'm sending it. Brand is from Australia but the jacket came out of Hong Kong according to DHL.

Their customer service has been very fast and friendly so far though.

I'm about to purchase a €300 red leather jacket but I am not sure if it's too flamboyant honestly.

xUxEWpN.jpg

It also looks way better in real life than it does here. I'll try it on once more this evening and then decide. There's a 50% discount on it, original price is 600.

Zaph

Don't get a 100% linen suit unless you plan on wearing it just a few times a year. Mine's already starting to fall apart after 5-10 wears each summer (3 years old). ☹️

I feel your pain. Linen seems to last one or two holidays for me before looking hobo-chic in the worst way.

I'm about to purchase a €300 red leather jacket but I am not sure if it's too flamboyant honestly.

xUxEWpN.jpg

It also looks way better in real life than it does here. I'll try it on once more this evening and then decide. There's a 50% discount on it, original price is 600.

If you think you can pull it off then rock it

xUxEWpN.jpg

I love it. Do it to it.

Anth0ny

xUxEWpN.jpg

Looks great. If you can rock it, rock it.

Just don't forget the keyboard tshirt:

pIVsGTS.jpg

<3

Quick

Banned

xUxEWpN.jpg

That looks fucking awesome.

The logo in the arm is the only thing I don't like, but besides that yeah, it looks great.

Do it, man. Someday you'll be old and will regret not wearing such an awesome jacket :p

Somebody help me. I think I have a problem. I just bought some Balmain and Rick Owen jeans and Common Projects. I going to be swimming in bills by the end of the year.

Edit: On a more serious note, I'm in the market for a nice bomber style jacket, something with a hood. Any suggestions? Or am I going to have to double layer :(

NinjaBoiX

Are these overdoing it? I think they're too tight, but a friend who I trust says they're fine. I have body dysmorphia so I recognize my perception's not entirely trustworthy.
Not a fan of skinny jeans in terms of personal preference but I think they look good on you.

The kicks are fly as fuck too.

Good look bro.

That red leather jacket a few posts up is cool too.

too skinny for me but they look like they have some sort of stretch to them and a coating of some kind so they'll probably bag out a little bit after some wear. they look cool tho, certainly not like you're stuffing sausages in them or something... the next size up would probably be closer to how i would wear them.

FStop7

Banned
too skinny for me but they look like they have some sort of stretch to them and a coating of some kind so they'll probably bag out a little bit after some wear. they look cool tho, certainly not like you're stuffing sausages in them or something... the next size up would probably be closer to how i would wear them.

They're Topman stretch skinny. The quality seemed decent but the tag was $85 which seemed a little high for a brand I thought was in competition with Zara. I think they'd stretch out a bit more, too. And I'll get a bit thinner, though my legs are always going to be over developed. But I was happy that I could at least get on a pair of jeans basically designed for rail thin teenagers.

I didn't buy them yet, I'm gonna try out some other stuff this weekend. Denim's the hardest thing for me to find the right fit. I really like Banana Republic's slim fit travel jeans but the leg openings are too wide and the rise is a little dad-ish. The Topmans were very low rise and ideal below the knee but I wish they had just bit more room in the thigh.

ah I think I've only seen the regular high tops, I like those

They're great. 100% got them because of this thread.

Not a fan of skinny jeans in terms of personal preference but I think they look good on you.

The kicks are fly as fuck too.

Good look bro.

That red leather jacket a few posts up is cool too.

Thanks, and I agree about the jacket. I hope he got it.

I'm a skinny guy but I don't like at all how skinny pants look, having said that, there are plenty of guys wearing skinny jeans so you are not committing a fashion crime at all.

And as other poster said, if you feel comfortable, go for it. One of the best things about fashion is wear whatever you want regardless of what others think.

Zaph

They're Topman stretch skinny. The quality seemed decent but the tag was $85 which seemed a little high for a brand I thought was in competition with Zara. I think they'd stretch out a bit more, too. And I'll get a bit thinner, though my legs are always going to be over developed. But I was happy that I could at least get on a pair of jeans basically designed for rail thin teenagers.

I didn't buy them yet, I'm gonna try out some other stuff this weekend. Denim's the hardest thing for me to find the right fit. I really like Banana Republic's slim fit travel jeans but the leg openings are too wide and the rise is a little dad-ish. The Topmans were very low rise and ideal below the knee but I wish they had just bit more room in the thigh.

They're great. 100% got them because of this thread.

Thanks, and I agree about the jacket. I hope he got it.
Do you have a Uniqlo near you? Their UK stores do very affordable denim which isn't terrible.

The fit on those isn't my cup of tea but look absolutely fine on guys if you're comfortable in them (tho personally I think that sizing should be reserved for darker colours/black).

Top Bottom